The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 27th, 2024

kazu

Good sunny morning. It’s going up to 60 today with rain tonight and tomorrow. Thunderstorms are possible tomorrow. 
I like Kailua, I have not had a White Russian in ages. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 22

Crazy February weather. We are due for thunderstorms today, getting to 60f and the weather channel says severe weather including tornados possible late today. The track is from Chicago thru Detroit which would include us. We will keep an eye to the sky and sleep in the basement bedroom if things really look dicey.

prayers for those needing them and cheers to those celebrating or cruising

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I found it rather funny, that the only week that we did not have appointments to go to was the week that we were disconnected from the world.  This week we have symphony tonight which has been moved to a new location, not in the best neighborhood, in an area I dont know, and I will try to find it at night, in the dark, when I dont see well .  Should be exciting.  The getting there.  If they were not performing Finlandia by Sibelius, I would probably stay home.  Thursday I meet with my dietician, who left the practice, and then returned after 3 years.  Friday we are attending the Noon Piano concert series at Emory University. 

5af1ef60b59192955e31edf7b2394d0b.gif

Our neighbors who went to Vietnam for "a month" on January 6, are still not back.  But this year, there have been no deliveries made to the house, the mail they have received has been junk mail only (except for two letters from the bank) .  DH has been going over every day, turning lights on, and off, and last week he heard something scurrying up in their attic. I think he finally understands why I have dog walking burn out.  Something that has to be done every day.  

ab67616d0000b2730af28018dcc88ea67931b0a5

Our county water system has changed bill processing companies.  They dont mail a bill anymore. You have to pay on line.  You have to create your own account. Thing is, if you dont use a computer, or like last week, it doesnt work .My neighbor Donna does not pay anything on line.  So she went down and stood in line last week.  We were all assigned new customer numbers, but the numbers were never loaded into the system, so they could not match the account numbers when receiving payment.  She paid cash, they asked if they could keep the change.  She said No. 

There are two stray cats that have stuck close by, one lives on the porch, we call him Tigger/Tiglet, he is a little under a year, and he is a stray.  The other is a feral tiny female, that looks like she might have been one of Bubbles kids, she is young, small and I believe with kitten.  When I open the door in the morning to feed the strays, she is close by, and runs for her food which allows a small amount of petting.

3b2df4c19e7139b7f9e4e9e63dc10449.jpg

It is nice to be back amongst you all.  I really missed you! 

• Like 27

Sunny and warming in north Jersey, maybe 60 today?  

Congratulations to @Nickelpenny on becoming a Shellback! 🥳

@cat shepard 🙏 Blessings for help for your sister!  And you. 
@Cruzin Terri hoping you get some info and help. 

We went to Phillip Island in 2013 while we were staying in Melbourne for a couple of days. It was an all day excursion that was mostly to see the little penguins sometimes called Fairy Penguins. No cameras were allowed. (I bought a book, not sure if it’s unpacked…). We also stopped at a small zoo where people could pay to have pictures with koalas which we didn’t do because we had already seen many in their habitat, some so close we could have touched them but didn’t.

The Phillip Island penguin parade is quite a major attraction. The birds come ashore at dusk and have to cross the beach to get “home” to the dunes. The gulls and other birds harass them so the penguins bunch up and wait for just the right moment to make their run. Viewing is mostly from stands, I think it was a National Park but could be wrong. Lots of holding our breath then cheering for them!  The name Fairy Penguins was shifting to Little Penguins. They are quite small, mostly 6-12”?  
pictures from internet:IMG_2290.jpeg.a6bc029aaa5876c9dfa1ee4be9e808a6.jpegIMG_2291.jpeg.172b7f55308ea12b7ed5dadfd6d06aa9.jpegIMG_2289.jpeg.c50b55e04c175b3f96d30a9a4d44b7b9.jpeg

IMG_2288.thumb.webp.56f1ca358128b2322db5ffa62fa33196.webp

There were hundreds of birds that came ashore over maybe an hour. It was a fun time and a very long late day, about 12 hrs, pickup around noon, return around midnight. Great memories. 

Blessings to all in need. I’m very grateful we are able to enjoy this day!  No updates on my DSIL and her husband and daughter, I’m trying not to bug them, they have their hands, hearts and brains full!  Thank you all for your caring support. 
Maureen 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Some pictures of Phillips Island. We went on an excursion there in 2022 from Melbourne. Went to the Penguin Parade. Rainy cold night , best excursion ever. We loved it! 

IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_0855.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I found it rather funny, that the only week that we did not have appointments to go to was the week that we were disconnected from the world.  This week we have symphony tonight which has been moved to a new location, not in the best neighborhood, in an area I dont know, and I will try to find it at night, in the dark, when I dont see well .  Should be exciting.  The getting there.  If they were not performing Finlandia by Sibelius, I would probably stay home.  Thursday I meet with my dietician, who left the practice, and then returned after 3 years.  Friday we are attending the Noon Piano concert series at Emory University. 

5af1ef60b59192955e31edf7b2394d0b.gif

Our neighbors who went to Vietnam for "a month" on January 6, are still not back.  But this year, there have been no deliveries made to the house, the mail they have received has been junk mail only (except for two letters from the bank) .  DH has been going over every day, turning lights on, and off, and last week he heard something scurrying up in their attic. I think he finally understands why I have dog walking burn out.  Something that has to be done every day.  

ab67616d0000b2730af28018dcc88ea67931b0a5

Our county water system has changed bill processing companies.  They dont mail a bill anymore. You have to pay on line.  You have to create your own account. Thing is, if you dont use a computer, or like last week, it doesnt work .My neighbor Donna does not pay anything on line.  So she went down and stood in line last week.  We were all assigned new customer numbers, but the numbers were never loaded into the system, so they could not match the account numbers when receiving payment.  She paid cash, they asked if they could keep the change.  She said No. 

There are two stray cats that have stuck close by, one lives on the porch, we call him Tigger/Tiglet, he is a little under a year, and he is a stray.  The other is a feral tiny female, that looks like she might have been one of Bubbles kids, she is young, small and I believe with kitten.  When I open the door in the morning to feed the strays, she is close by, and runs for her food which allows a small amount of petting.

3b2df4c19e7139b7f9e4e9e63dc10449.jpg

It is nice to be back amongst you all.  I really missed you! 

So great to see you posting again Annie!

28 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Sunny and warming in north Jersey, maybe 60 today?  

Congratulations to @Nickelpenny on becoming a Shellback! 🥳

@cat shepard 🙏 Blessings for help for your sister!  And you. 
@Cruzin Terri hoping you get some info and help. 

We went to Phillip Island in 2013 while we were staying in Melbourne for a couple of days. It was an all day excursion that was mostly to see the little penguins sometimes called Fairy Penguins. No cameras were allowed. (I bought a book, not sure if it’s unpacked…). We also stopped at a small zoo where people could pay to have pictures with koalas which we didn’t do because we had already seen many in their habitat, some so close we could have touched them but didn’t.

The Phillip Island penguin parade is quite a major attraction. The birds come ashore at dusk and have to cross the beach to get “home” to the dunes. The gulls and other birds harass them so the penguins bunch up and wait for just the right moment to make their run. Viewing is mostly from stands, I think it was a National Park but could be wrong. Lots of holding our breath then cheering for them!  The name Fairy Penguins was shifting to Little Penguins. They are quite small, mostly 6-12”?  
pictures from internet:IMG_2290.jpeg.a6bc029aaa5876c9dfa1ee4be9e808a6.jpegIMG_2291.jpeg.172b7f55308ea12b7ed5dadfd6d06aa9.jpegIMG_2289.jpeg.c50b55e04c175b3f96d30a9a4d44b7b9.jpeg

IMG_2288.thumb.webp.56f1ca358128b2322db5ffa62fa33196.webp

There were hundreds of birds that came ashore over maybe an hour. It was a fun time and a very long late day, about 12 hrs, pickup around noon, return around midnight. Great memories. 

Blessings to all in need. I’m very grateful we are able to enjoy this day!  No updates on my DSIL and her husband and daughter, I’m trying not to bug them, they have their hands, hearts and brains full!  Thank you all for your caring support. 
Maureen 

I love the penguin photos today Maureen!  Exciting that some of us have actually been there before.

9 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Some pictures of Phillips Island. We went on an excursion there in 2022 from Melbourne. Went to the Penguin Parade. Rainy cold night , best excursion ever. We loved it! 

IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_0855.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

The same for you Charlene.  It seems the penguin parade is the thing to see or do there.  It's so interesting how tiny these penguins are!

• Like 20

Good morning from Quartzsite where the skies are beginning to clear.  I saw the moon when I opened the blinds earlier this morning.  It is 57F with a predicted high of 73F.  There is a 9mph wind, so it will be chilly for a while, especially with the 59% humidity and a dew point of 42%.  Not much on the agenda today, so we may start putting the tax information into Turbo Tax. 

We should all be aware of Anosmia since losing your sense of smell is not good.  Polar bears are interesting, and I hope they can survive with their habitat changing.  I read an article recently that scientists have become aware of some polar bears beginning to adapt to a new environment.  Someone can have my Kahlua.

Another quote by Mark Twain that is true.

We'll pass on the meal, since DH is not a fan of lamb.  We'll also pass on the drink, but might try the wine.

We have not been to Phillip Island, so thank you to all who share pictures today.

I will celebrate the first magazine dedicated to women published in 1693.  There are not as many women's magazines left today.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for telling us about Anosmia Awareness day.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, your weather this week proves how wacky Texas weather can be.  😉

@dfish  Debbie, I'm sorry the heating system is acting up again.  It sounds like you will need to get someone to look at it and show you how the system works.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm sorry your sister is sick and at the ER.  I hope she will be feeling better soon.

@Mr. Boston  Welcome home.  It looks like you had quite a detour getting from Florida to Boston.

@superoma  Eva, I hope the very severe weather misses you, and any other Dailyites in the path of the storms.

@marshhawk  Annie, good to see you back here and keeping us up to date on the outside kitties.  You were missed.

@dfish  Debbie, @summer slope Dixie, and @Sharon in AZ  Sharon, it looks like we were on the right sailing of Koningsdam.  It appears there is a Noro outbreak on board now.

360116752_243635478440294_3065415522890715719_n.jpg.547cd712643c0f8a35ab0b1a15e0e11e.jpg

363825139_1017233766204573_2275566796792393230_n.jpg.b779b139b9f7b839db2b2c6a8b7faaa1.jpg

366363288_249043731379636_6903231354140706993_n.jpg.136332d99819bce6b832a815e3dc4ef0.jpg

366699710_1156923428597216_5507197336318156354_n.jpg.f778ce8a69131ea57ac58dd3f7ff4a6b.jpg

366967341_674967354660318_5392909584925352858_n.jpg.ae042c5852343779a9831ef8eabfab83.jpg

367063059_761551259311108_6250685389562572410_n.jpg.916c100a31a5e3931bc53b64d29e8762.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Anosmia would be difficult to have permanently. Polar bears need to be protected. I'll take some Kahlua and cream, a white Russian or a splash in my coffee! Excellent quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and maybe on the wine. I haven't been to Phillip Island. A good day in history.

It's dark and stormy out, but 58F; raining and a big clap of thunder just now. It looks like night! Of course I have to go out for a haircut soon and I hope it stops. PT later this afternoon. Yesterday after I got back from my medical appointment, BFF came over and got on a ladder to take down my lace curtains in the DR and LR, which were very dusty. Then some window cleaning. We later went out to dinner. I had iced tea and I'm not sure if that's what kept me up until 2AM. So I only got about 4.5 hours of sleep. I have some mild tingling of my leg at times, but not bad. And yay, the GF clock is now working again, without having to call someone to come and look at it!

@Nickelpenny Thanks for sharing your cruise on the Amazon. 

@dfish Sorry to hear of your heating issues. I like the 3rd recipe too.

@aliaschief Enjoy the walk and stay hydrated!

@cat shepard Prayers for your sister. I hope they can diagnose and treat her quickly.

@marshhawk Welcome back! Your water system fiasco sounds like ours here. 

@RMLincoln Thanks for the info on Phillip Island. Continued prayers for your family.

@cunnorl Thanks for the photos. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Running behind but I'll try to post at least a bit.  Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie, and best wishes for your sister, Ann.  Welcome back @marshhawk.

Polar Bears are truly majestic but I'll pass on the Kahlua.  I don't really remember hearing the term Ansmia before but the concept certainly came to light in the pandemic.

A great day in women's history.  I have not been to Philip Island but love the Twain quote.

I'll try to be back later.  Goofed on my plans for tomorrow's cardiologist visit and it's thrown me off some.

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

I posted this picture last year.  Saw a few polar bears on my trip to Churchill, Manitoba (Canada) when I visited in 2022.  Although it was beluga whale season, we were lucky and saw a few bears.  As others have said, they need to be protected.  With climate change they are having a tough time getting enough food for the winter months when they hibernate.  Churchill is only accessible via train or air so many people do not visit due to the expense of travelling.

Although I don't post, I still read the daily to look at the pictures of the port of the day.  Also really enjoy the quotes, 'today in history' and other comments.  Thanks to everyone who contributes.

image.jpeg.415aaffc5f92e4ae5ff4e0aea0ce411d.jpeg

As Gerry said - we are having a blast of winter in Winnipeg today.  Currently very cold and travel not recommened due to the blowing snow.  Unfortunately I have a Board meeting this afternoon - so will dress warmly.  Having winter tires is a must in this climate.

Edited by Safety Squirrel
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Snow! Yes, our area of the Pacific Northwest got snow yesterday. Not enough to do much with but enough to cover the grass and it's not on the road so that's good. Currently the temps are 28F but it's supposed to get up to the mid-40's and rain/snow mix later today and overnight. Tomorrow is very wet and windy. 

Yesterday was busy with two water aerobics classes, lunch with the widows support group (had mine to-go as I got there late) then a haircut. Haven't checked the scale but I feel lighter and it probably won't show on the scale! 

Today is a stay-at-home day and I have shredding to do, a house to take care of, and hopefully a neighbor coming for tea. 

Karen

• Like 22

Good morning Dailyites and thank you to all contributors.  I'm not a big Kahlua fan, but do enjoy a coffee drink with Kahlua and Amaretto combined.  The almond flavor kind of softens the flavor of the Kahlua.  Maybe give it a try on a BHB sometime.  😉

Last night I finally started taking a daily migraine medication that was prescribed  quite sometime ago.  It can have a whole slew of side effects, so I didn't want to start it while I had the chest virus that's going around.  Too much confusion on what's what.  One of the side effects is weight loss.  That would be just terrible!  🤣   

Other than that, we have some deck repair going on from the recent big rains here in California.  Our upstairs deck has always been a problem.  Hopefully the latest fix will work better.

And planning is underway for spring in Japan.  This will be our fourth attempt to make that trip.  I think this time it's a go.  (Knock on wood quickly!)  Thank you @bennybearfor all your tips and enthusiasm.

I've been thinking about @Sharon in AZ and Craig with his second round of covid.  That would be a hard pill to swallow, but we did catch covid on a land trip to Hawaii -- maybe flying there -- so any travel is a risk.  I hope Craig gets healthy and reconsiders so you guys have many years of happy sailing.

Thinking of all of you and wishing all a pleasant day.  Thanks again to our steady team here.  True champions.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

During our first summer here, Fergus saw a black bear in the garden. For the rest of his life he was vigilant in watching for bears, even in the winter. He knew that polar bears could hide in the snow.

Lamb & rice would be OK, and few people (or pets) are allergic to them. No on the drink. From the Finger Lakes, Empire Estate NV Brut.

juststartingtorelax.thumb.gif.56ca5e2faebc442fe522a4b8cdb4ff7d.gif

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Dailyites, we have been busy,  Pat had the Epley maneuver done on Friday and had no ill effects from it.  Hopefully, that vertigo will not reappear, but he's not going back to exercise until after his ENT appointment on Friday.  He had a few nosebleeds after the cautery, but hopefully that's the end of it.  Nice to see Annie posting again, I always enjoy her stories and adventures.  Those ailing are in my prayers.

We are having strange weather. too, a snowstorm yesterday and freezing last night. Pat brought in the hummingbird feeders to keep them from freezing.   February is definitely going out like a lion, I don't know what March will do.  

We haven't been to Phillip Island, but we visited a small island off Western Australia called Penguin Island which also has the fairy/little penguins.  You can walk around on raised walkways so as not to disturb the nests, and there is an "arena" where injured or damaged penguins are kept and fed, and become quite tame. 

P1030835.JPG.84072b2c724982ba9fe909dad5fa5d37.JPG

P1030849.JPG.814dd11ee50b67e52787694282a7bab7.JPG

P1030852.JPG.26f74343d475a80b7c07a8a34e4a2c4e.JPG

P1030853.JPG.7df1dc4d0c1b1c1edabe2b3ef0869b4c.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

In the early 80’s we were on a 10 day Incentive trip from Philips Electronics ( Canada )   to Melbourne and Sidney with a large group . After a very long flight from Toronto via Fiji to Melbourne  and after just having a couple of hours rest in the hotel the company offered a side trip to see  " The Penguin Parade  " on Phillip Island ,  I said  to Martha sure we should do that......

I had not planned that and was not aware of where it was but after sitting in a minibus what seemed to be a long time we arrived on a beach where a good number of people where already waiting , we stood at a very a nice spot to see toward sundown that every time a wave hit the beach a number of these very small penguins came ashore sometimes in large groups and other times just a few at the time and they would each run to what we were told  their own burrow . It was really a wonderful sight to see , but than we had to drive back all the way to Melbourne and Martha was quite tired and not impressed me booking this side trip . 

Long story short we were still young it did not bother me too much and we are still talking about these wonderful little penguins ! 

My pictures are in my photo album , but here a couple of stock pictures from the web.

From Melbourne: Penguin Parade and Koalas Tour

From Melbourne: Phillip Island Penguin Parade Eco Tour

Tony 😁
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4

We finally have clear skies with a lot of sunshine.  The only cloud in sight is we're about to start on the taxes, not fun but necessary.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Anosmia would be difficult to have permanently. Polar bears need to be protected. I'll take some Kahlua and cream, a white Russian or a splash in my coffee! Excellent quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and maybe on the wine. I haven't been to Phillip Island. A good day in history.

It's dark and stormy out, but 58F; raining and a big clap of thunder just now. It looks like night! Of course I have to go out for a haircut soon and I hope it stops. PT later this afternoon. Yesterday after I got back from my medical appointment, BFF came over and got on a ladder to take down my lace curtains in the DR and LR, which were very dusty. Then some window cleaning. We later went out to dinner. I had iced tea and I'm not sure if that's what kept me up until 2AM. So I only got about 4.5 hours of sleep. I have some mild tingling of my leg at times, but not bad. And yay, the GF clock is now working again, without having to call someone to come and look at it!

@Nickelpenny Thanks for sharing your cruise on the Amazon. 

@dfish Sorry to hear of your heating issues. I like the 3rd recipe too.

@aliaschief Enjoy the walk and stay hydrated!

@cat shepard Prayers for your sister. I hope they can diagnose and treat her quickly.

@marshhawk Welcome back! Your water system fiasco sounds like ours here. 

@RMLincoln Thanks for the info on Phillip Island. Continued prayers for your family.

@cunnorl Thanks for the photos. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad the tingling is now mild, and also that the grandfather clock is now working.  I'm also glad BFF is helping you with some of the chores.

1 hour ago, Safety Squirrel said:

I posted this picture last year.  Saw a few polar bears on my trip to Churchill, Manitoba (Canada) when I visited in 2022.  Although it was beluga whale season, we were lucky and saw a few bears.  As others have said, they need to be protected.  With climate change they are having a tough time getting enough food for the winter months when they hibernate.  Churchill is only accessible via train or air so many people do not visit due to the expense of travelling.

Although I don't post, I still read the daily to look at the pictures of the port of the day.  Also really enjoy the quotes, 'today in history' and other comments.  Thanks to everyone who contributes.

image.jpeg.415aaffc5f92e4ae5ff4e0aea0ce411d.jpeg

As Gerry said - we are having a blast of winter in Winnipeg today.  Currently very cold and travel not recommened due to the blowing snow.  Unfortunately I have a Board meeting this afternoon - so will dress warmly.  Having winter tires is a must in this climate.

Thanks for the picture of the polar bear.  DH has been to Churchill to see the polar bears.  I hope you will drop in again from time to time.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Snow! Yes, our area of the Pacific Northwest got snow yesterday. Not enough to do much with but enough to cover the grass and it's not on the road so that's good. Currently the temps are 28F but it's supposed to get up to the mid-40's and rain/snow mix later today and overnight. Tomorrow is very wet and windy. 

Yesterday was busy with two water aerobics classes, lunch with the widows support group (had mine to-go as I got there late) then a haircut. Haven't checked the scale but I feel lighter and it probably won't show on the scale! 

Today is a stay-at-home day and I have shredding to do, a house to take care of, and hopefully a neighbor coming for tea. 

Karen

Karen, I also got a haircut yesterday, and I felt lighter.  However, it did not show up on the scales.

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you to all contributors.  I'm not a big Kahlua fan, but do enjoy a coffee drink with Kahlua and Amaretto combined.  The almond flavor kind of softens the flavor of the Kahlua.  Maybe give it a try on a BHB sometime.  😉

Last night I finally started taking a daily migraine medication that was prescribed  quite sometime ago.  It can have a whole slew of side effects, so I didn't want to start it while I had the chest virus that's going around.  Too much confusion on what's what.  One of the side effects is weight loss.  That would be just terrible!  🤣   

Other than that, we have some deck repair going on from the recent big rains here in California.  Our upstairs deck has always been a problem.  Hopefully the latest fix will work better.

And planning is underway for spring in Japan.  This will be our fourth attempt to make that trip.  I think this time it's a go.  (Knock on wood quickly!)  Thank you @bennybearfor all your tips and enthusiasm.

I've been thinking about @Sharon in AZ and Craig with his second round of covid.  That would be a hard pill to swallow, but we did catch covid on a land trip to Hawaii -- maybe flying there -- so any travel is a risk.  I hope Craig gets healthy and reconsiders so you guys have many years of happy sailing.

Thinking of all of you and wishing all a pleasant day.  Thanks again to our steady team here.  True champions.

Maxine, I hope the repairs on the deck will do the trick.  I also hope you make it to Japan on the fourth attempt.  I agree, that since Covid traveling is a risk, but we do try to be careful.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good early afternoon and Happy Tuesday. It has rained off and on the past few days including this morning. It wasn’t in the forecast so I was surprised by the sprinkles.  We are having our house painted and the workers have been doing prep work and repairing some woodwork and trim. It’s long overdue, and the HOA has been bugging us about it, so it’s time. 

I will skip the meal and cocktail but the wine might be nice. I will celebrate the days. One of my favorite ways to enjoy Kahlua is in a B52 drink. It’s usually a dessert drink and was listed on the MDR menu once. Has anyone else noticed the dessert drink on the menu?  It’s listed as the Liquid Drink of the Day or Liquid Dessert after the desserts. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Just a quick visit. I am at the ER with my Sister who has been really sick for two days. Please keep her in your prayers. 

Our second Canadian wine. Widely available CA 32.95, or $24.95.

Natalie's Score: 92/100

This sparkling gets better every year, even though it's not vintage-dated. Lovely finesse and mousse with green apple vibrancy. The grapes were hand-picked in 50 pound lugs so they weren't bruised. The winery does press fractioning meaning the first bit of the juice (the head) and the last bit (the tail) aren't used in the wine just the juiciest, tastiest part of the juice. They also use the traditional Champagne method to make the wine. The wine spends 30 months on the lees which gives it a creamy texture. Serve as an aperitif on its own or add 1 oz. of Riesling Icewine or 1 oz of Cabernet Franc Icewine to 3 oz of Cuvee Catharine to make a Kir Catharine.

Sparkling food pairings: salmon caviar with sour cream; malpeque oysters with a hint of lemon.

Ann, prayers and thoughts going for your sister. 

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from Quartzsite where the skies are beginning to clear.  I saw the moon when I opened the blinds earlier this morning.  It is 57F with a predicted high of 73F.  There is a 9mph wind, so it will be chilly for a while, especially with the 59% humidity and a dew point of 42%.  Not much on the agenda today, so we may start putting the tax information into Turbo Tax. 

We should all be aware of Anosmia since losing your sense of smell is not good.  Polar bears are interesting, and I hope they can survive with their habitat changing.  I read an article recently that scientists have become aware of some polar bears beginning to adapt to a new environment.  Someone can have my Kahlua.

Another quote by Mark Twain that is true.

We'll pass on the meal, since DH is not a fan of lamb.  We'll also pass on the drink, but might try the wine.

We have not been to Phillip Island, so thank you to all who share pictures today.

I will celebrate the first magazine dedicated to women published in 1693.  There are not as many women's magazines left today.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for telling us about Anosmia Awareness day.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, your weather this week proves how wacky Texas weather can be.  😉

@dfish  Debbie, I'm sorry the heating system is acting up again.  It sounds like you will need to get someone to look at it and show you how the system works.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm sorry your sister is sick and at the ER.  I hope she will be feeling better soon.

@Mr. Boston  Welcome home.  It looks like you had quite a detour getting from Florida to Boston.

@superoma  Eva, I hope the very severe weather misses you, and any other Dailyites in the path of the storms.

@marshhawk  Annie, good to see you back here and keeping us up to date on the outside kitties.  You were missed.

@dfish  Debbie, @summer slope Dixie, and @Sharon in AZ  Sharon, it looks like we were on the right sailing of Koningsdam.  It appears there is a Noro outbreak on board now.

360116752_243635478440294_3065415522890715719_n.jpg.547cd712643c0f8a35ab0b1a15e0e11e.jpg

363825139_1017233766204573_2275566796792393230_n.jpg.b779b139b9f7b839db2b2c6a8b7faaa1.jpg

366363288_249043731379636_6903231354140706993_n.jpg.136332d99819bce6b832a815e3dc4ef0.jpg

366699710_1156923428597216_5507197336318156354_n.jpg.f778ce8a69131ea57ac58dd3f7ff4a6b.jpg

366967341_674967354660318_5392909584925352858_n.jpg.ae042c5852343779a9831ef8eabfab83.jpg

367063059_761551259311108_6250685389562572410_n.jpg.916c100a31a5e3931bc53b64d29e8762.jpg

Lenda

Wow about the Noro outbreak on the Koningsdam. 

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

🛳️🛳️ Just an FYI. On Smithsonian Channel tonight, Mighty Cruise Ships, Koningsdam at 8 pm and Nieuw Statendam at 10 pm.

Thank you!  I have my DVR set. Even though we’ve seen them before I will enjoy watching them again. 

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Maxine ~Good wishes that the migraine med helps and you don’t experience any side effects. Also hope your deck repair goes smoothly. Enjoy planning for your Japan trip. Sounds wonderful.  Thanks for thinking about Craig. He will probably come around but it might be in a year or so. I’m going to plan a solo cruise in the meantime, I just don’t know when or where. I need to consider my DM’s needs too. She’s starting to get confused about stuff, minor stuff, but still unusual for her. Example— I told her multiple times we were sailing round trip San Diego and for how long, even put it on her calendar but she was still confused about how we got home and from where and when. We do all of her shopping for her and she’ll say that she doesn’t need it right away, just the next time we see her. Then suddenly it becomes urgent and she gets hostile that she hasn’t gotten it yet. She has even said that she doesn’t want us to help her anymore. So, because of that, we’ve been getting things to her quickly. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

@Sharon in AZI never saw a B52 on a HAL menu but made plenty of them when I was a bartender in the 80s.  In case anyone is interested, it is a layered drink with equal parts of three alcohols: Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream and Grand Marnier.IMG_0113.webp.eff2d61c5a3b16d96dbbaa8e1ba7cd6f.webpAlso, I remember it being named after the band, not the bomber.  However, if you have more than one you may be “bombed”

Thanks to all the regular posters. Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2