Sun Princess Staterooms & Categories

On 3/21/2024 at 7:55 PM, MTNest93 said:

Only category C1 and C2 cabana mini suites have access to the Cabana deck on deck 9.  

I went to be nosy and find out how folks access the Cabana deck space, and there's a door at the end of the cabana cabins on deck 9 with a pad on the wall, which presumably opens with the appropriate medallion.

2 hours ago, HomelessBear said:

I went to be nosy and find out how folks access the Cabana deck space, and there's a door at the end of the cabana cabins on deck 9 with a pad on the wall, which presumably opens with the appropriate medallion.

Yes, that is how passengers in the C2 cabins on deck 9 will have access to the cabana deck. 

5E20F6ED-370F-415A-B6D0-592CCA88C87C.jpeg

1 hour ago, MTNest93 said:

Yes, that is how passengers in the C2 cabins on deck 9 will have access to the cabana deck. 

Just occurred to me if there will be any issue for a port side guest to head over to the starboard side Cabana Deck in search of shade if sun is hitting the port side.  Same idea in reverse as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruisenovice2 said:

Hi, will be sailing on Sun Princess next Feb. i booked a mini cabana suite, but am wondering what the difference between that and a reserve mini cabana. As always thanks for the help.

Reserve Cabana Mini Suites are located on Deck 9 and get access to the Cabana areas located on the same deck (effectively a private area with loungers and hot tubs). These guests also get access to the Reserve Collection restaurant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Just occurred to me if there will be any issue for a port side guest to head over to the starboard side Cabana Deck in search of shade if sun is hitting the port side.  Same idea in reverse as well.

According to @CanadianBurger in his recent Live From, guests will be able to use either cabana deck and are not restricted to the port or starboard side regardless of which side their cabin is on.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

On the March 9 thread Canadian Burger said that both decks are accessible by either side.

ETA: I’ve got to learn to read the entire thread before responding 🙂

Edited by vjmatty
ETA
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ivanp91 said:

Reserve Cabana Mini Suites are located on Deck 9 and get access to the Cabana areas located on the same deck (effectively a private area with loungers and hot tubs). These guests also get access to the Reserve Collection restaurant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think ALL cabana mini suites have access to the additional private "cabana deck" space, right?  "Reserve" gives you access to the separate restaurant and other vague and unspecified Reserve "amenities." 

16 minutes ago, IUSteve said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think ALL cabana mini suites have access to the additional private "cabana deck" space, right?  "Reserve" gives you access to the separate restaurant and other vague and unspecified Reserve "amenities." 

No, only the Cabana Minis on Deck 9, labeled Reserve.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, IUSteve said:

Nope. Only the “Reserve” cabana minis on deck 9 have access to the cabana deck. Source: I have a cabana mini on deck 10

booked for Dec. 

• Like 3

On 3/24/2024 at 9:33 PM, MTNest93 said:

I'm starting to wonder if a Reserve Cabana mini in the areas circled above might not be the best thing to book on the Sun (rather than a regular Reserve mini suite) for those of us that want a quiet place to sit in the shade. Especially since the Sanctuary looks like a no go on this ship. You'd have access to both sides of the ship so could choose the shady side each day. I don't really like the Cabana cabin layouts but.........

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 1:32 AM, cruisenovice2 said:

Hi, will be sailing on Sun Princess next Feb. i booked a mini cabana suite, but am wondering what the difference between that and a reserve mini cabana. As always thanks for the help.

From the pictures people have posted, an important difference to me, is that the cabana mini suites look like they have adjustable chairs and footstools on the balcony and reserve does not. 

infok,  since nobody has posted yet...  I believe that the sofa can be turned into a bed... and/or the drop/down berth would come down just above the sofa. ( in rooms that can have 4 guests )

There may be photos out there, but I would not be aware of any.

• Thanks 1

If I am seeing correctly, it looks like all the balcony  cabins that can accommodate 4 have the bed by the entry, and the sofa by the sliding door.   That would make sense, as it looks as if a pull-down berth over the sofa would be too tight, when the sofa is at the entry,  and would block the exit of the cabin too much.

A third passenger on the sofa would not really block any of that floor-space pathway.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 8:53 PM, Cruz4Sun said:

Thanks @dides.  I was aware that the cabins on deck 10 above could look down into the cabana balconies below.  I was actually wondering if passengers in the sphere could see into all of the balcony, or if there was a white barrier right next to the cabana area blocking a small portion of the balcony from view.  I should have been more specific.  I don't know if I would also be lucky enough that someone staying in 9361 or 9358 could post photos of those cabins inside and out.

I think this picture might answer your question. It’s taken from the sphere looking out onto the balcony of 9361

IMG_0003.png

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 1:50 PM, Wishing on a star said:

infok,  since nobody has posted yet...  I believe that the sofa can be turned into a bed... and/or the drop/down berth would come down just above the sofa. ( in rooms that can have 4 guests )

There may be photos out there, but I would not be aware of any.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:27 PM, Wishing on a star said:

If I am seeing correctly, it looks like all the balcony  cabins that can accommodate 4 have the bed by the entry, and the sofa by the sliding door.   That would make sense, as it looks as if a pull-down berth over the sofa would be too tight, when the sofa is at the entry,  and would block the exit of the cabin too much.

A third passenger on the sofa would not really block any of that floor-space pathway.

Thanks @Wishing on a star, that’s what I was hoping.

Sacrificing laying on the bed looking out to the balcony for not climbing over the couch bed to go to the bathroom. 

Joys of non-solo cruising 😆

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, infoteknerd said:

Thanks @Wishing on a star, that’s what I was hoping.

Sacrificing laying on the bed looking out to the balcony for not climbing over the couch bed to go to the bathroom. 

Joys of non-solo cruising 😆

Same here, my bladder prefers that the bed be near the bathroom. Also, I think it’s a lot more useful having the couch near the balcony so when the weather is bad you can still sit and enjoy the view throughout the day. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:18 PM, steilkurve said:

Hey all. 

We’ve booked cabin 17629 for a Novembre sailing. All that’s the left for the sailing we want. Wondering about potential noise from above.

It is located right under the Sanctuary, more specifically under the cabanas you can rent.

Does anyone who has sailed on Sun Princess so far got any experience with these suites on deck 17? Noisy?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

After being awakened by scraping sounds while loungers were dragged around at dawn by guests and crew, we prefer rooms above us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CruiseCrabs said:

After being awakened by scraping sounds while loungers were dragged around at dawn by guests and crew, we prefer rooms above us. 

Thanks for your reply. I know. That’s our fear as well.

Unfortunately, this cabin is the only Signature Penthouse left on our sailing and that’s the category we’d like.

Given the cabin is right under paid for cabanas in the paid access Sanctuary, I’m hoping it’ll be less noisy?

Anyone with direct experience of these deck 17 Penthouse suites now that the Sun has been sailing for a few weeks?

Posted (edited)

Yes, sacrifices!!!!   Just to clarify...  If you can find a cabin with the bed by the sliding door, that can hold a third person on the sofa, you would be passing by the person sleeping on the sofa, but no maneuvering or climbing.  The sofas are full length, and not pull-out.   I believe the cushions are replaced by a mattress/topper to make the sofa into the bed.  No obstruction of that walkway.  I can see how they do not have the fourth pull-down there, as it would be really tight, and not meet emergency clearance/exit policies.

Just for me,  I am in the bed-by-the slider camp!!!  On Princess, the Deluxe Balconies have the love-seat by the slider/balcony.  But, when I saw the actual photos and videos of the Sun,  it was clear to me that the floorspace and visual space was much better with the larger opening to have the bed near the slider/balcony.  Looking for one of those, with the bed forward facing, became a mission!!! Hahahaha!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steilkurve said:

Thanks for your reply. I know. That’s our fear as well.

Unfortunately, this cabin is the only Signature Penthouse left on our sailing and that’s the category we’d like.

Given the cabin is right under paid for cabanas in the paid access Sanctuary, I’m hoping it’ll be less noisy?

Anyone with direct experience of these deck 17 Penthouse suites now that the Sun has been sailing for a few weeks?

The weather has not been great - sunnier today but with a cool wind. The Sanctuary and Cabanas have been virtually deserted for the last 2 sea days. The Cabanas are available to book but the televisions aren't installed yet so guests won't get the full experience. I think you will need to wait for a number of weeks to get any feedback on this question.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes, sacrifices!!!!   Just to clarify...  If you can find a cabin with the bed by the sliding door, that can hold a third person on the sofa, you would be passing by the person sleeping on the sofa, but no maneuvering or climbing.  The sofas are full length, and not pull-out.   I believe the cushions are replaced by a mattress/topper to make the sofa into the bed.  No obstruction of that walkway.  I can see how they do not have the fourth pull-down there, as it would be really tight, and not meet emergency clearance/exit policies.

Just for me,  I am in the bed-by-the slider camp!!!  On Princess, the Deluxe Balconies have the love-seat by the slider/balcony.  But, when I saw the actual photos and videos of the Sun,  it was clear to me that the floorspace and visual space was much better with the larger opening to have the bed near the slider/balcony.  Looking for one of those, with the bed forward facing, became a mission!!! Hahahaha!

On Royal Caribbean ships, having the bed near the balcony is a huge convenience because the room is set up so the closets are on either side of the couch and across from the desk. It looks like on the Sun, either way the closets are in the hall across from the bathroom door (unless you have a non cabana mini or higher) and they’re still crowded.

Last month we sailed on Celebrity Infinity and had the same problem with the closet doors, and could not figure out why after 35+ cruises on many different cruise lines I never ran into this before. So I looked up prior cabins over the years, and all either had that awesome open closet rod perpendicular to the hall on Grand class, or if they did have cabinet type closets in the hall across from the bathroom, they had bifold doors!!! What a step back in comfort and convenience to get rid of those 🤦🏻‍♀️

6 hours ago, dides said:

The weather has not been great - sunnier today but with a cool wind. The Sanctuary and Cabanas have been virtually deserted for the last 2 sea days. The Cabanas are available to book but the televisions aren't installed yet so guests won't get the full experience. I think you will need to wait for a number of weeks to get any feedback on this question.  

Thanks for this. After some discussion this aft, we've decided to simply change to a sailing two weeks earlier where there was a PH Suite available in a better location (on deck 15). For the price these are, we didn't want to risk chair dragging bothering us.