Healthy eating on Celebrity

Karen450

What are some of your favorite healthy meals on Celebrity ships? Particularly in the MDR and buffet? Seeking ideas for maximum enjoyment! I’m not looking to lose weight on the ship, I just want cruising to fit into my lifestyle. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

Its pretty simple for me overall, I don't do deserts, never found them any good on Celebrity anyways.  I do not use elevator at all so always doing the stairs.  Its staying away from all the extra breads and fruity drinks overall.  The buffet is easiest as you can just walk around and see all the veggies, I loaded up many days with the steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli that was available.  

• Like 3

If you consume alcohol, avoid the frozen drinks as they are full of sugar.  I like the spa cafe for light bites for breakfast and lunch.  My approach is to avoid bread and fill up on veggies and fruit...the buffet has lots of fresh options from salads to raw veggies (on salad bar), fruit, lots of protein options.  It CAN be done...but I tend to diet before any cruise to lose a few pounds so that the inevitable (for me) cruise weight leaves me with a net gain of zero.  We cruise at the end of May so are currently avoiding all alcohol and starchy foods.  Can't wait for the reprieve of embarkation day!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Karen450 said:

What are some of your favorite healthy meals on Celebrity ships? Particularly in the MDR and buffet? Seeking ideas for maximum enjoyment! I’m not looking to lose weight on the ship, I just want cruising to fit into my lifestyle. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

The descriptions in the MDR and Blu are quite descriptive. However, if you are dining in Luminae it is sometimes necessary to ask the waiter what a dish is like. It is quite ‘playfully’ written.

I wouldn’t say I have a particularly healthy meal choice. When I cruise I expect to enjoy some ‘treat foods’. However, my general on ship rules for not over eating are:-

Ask for sauces to be ‘on the side’ for many dishes.

Don’t pig out on the bread while waiting for your starter!

Ask for a side of broccoli and leave the starchy element of the meal.

Ask for a starter as a main meal if you know you are not really very hungry.

Ask for the salad starter to be served as a main with the always available chicken or salmon.

Don’t feel obliged to empty your plate.

Either have a small breakfast and a bigger lunch or the other way around.

Remember you can always have a simple sorbet or blob of ice cream rather than a full dessert.

In the buffet put your salad or vegetables on the plate first then you are less tempted to load with the more fattening elements.

With your attitude of being aware of calorie intake then I think you will find eating healthy on board not an issue. See nothing as ‘banned’ but everything as ‘moderated’…

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Karen450 said:

What are some of your favorite healthy meals on Celebrity ships?

To name a few :

Breakfast:

Eggs Benedict ---- 2 bagels/smoked salmon--- 4 Danish pastries

Lunch:

Nothing special-- perhaps a salad / French bread ---6 slices of pizza ---dish of ice cream /4 chocolate chip cookies  ( gotta save " room " for dinner )---

Dinner:

3 Shrimp cocktails to start

Prime rib---- lots of sauce----easy on the green beans and carrot sticks

Beef tenderloin---- extra gravy--- easy on the mashed potatoes-- no green beans ( had 'em yesterday )

Various chicken dishes---- minimum amount of vegetables

Various Indian dishes--- especially Butter Chicken

Creme Brule ---- Chocolate deserts--- Cherries Jubilee

And then-------I wake up !!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

It’s pretty easy. I eat basically as I would at home. Portion control, lean protein, lots of vegetables, clean carbs and minimal pastries, desserts and frozen drinks. I don’t really concern myself with butter or sauce on the vegetables. I skip things like the giant slab of fatty prime rib. The vegetarian entrees are usually a good option once you get tired of heavy meals. 

• Like 3

I am a long term type 2 diabetic so this is my way of life on land and sea:

BUFFET:

Breakfast for me is a half toasted bagel, cr cheese, smoked salmon, capers, onion and tomato.   Alts are French toast ( 1thick slice) with lite syrup or jelly, or  fresh egg omelet with veggies, ham and cheese.. Splurge is bacon! 

For lunch,  X buffet  offers  fresh and steamed veggies..... great variety for salads...go light on dressings, eat fish when available,  avoid carbs in bread, rice, pasta and dessert.. skip ice cream  drink diet  or club soda, unsweet tea /coffee.. Never feel deprived!

BLU (usually) or MDRs...

Great for breakfast ..skip pastries .Same choices as buffet,  but frittata or eggs beneduct are  nice!

(Alt..go to E + lite breakfast  if eligible, splurge on a Mimosa or Bellini)

For dinner in BLU: enjoy a few breadsticks, skip rolls and butter, enjoy soup (can be salty but worth it), ask for sauce/ gravy on the side,  skip pasta,  request double veggies and eat  half of any plated carbs . 

Most meals in BLU are healthy with lower salt and fat. .I like poulty but not squab, all fish including shrimp cocktail and lobster,  and splurge on  beef. Skip dessert. They are  not that great but my husb loves  the Creme Brulee   (If BLU gets boring try Raw on 5...and esp EDEN!  

CAFE BACCIO..teas are great with biscotti or a few almond cookies...SPLURGE for me is the IGLU..once per cruise and a MUDSLIDE ( at a bar or pool deck).. Nice for afternoon pick me up.

If in certain stateroom categories,  you receive afternoon canapes..quite meager so better to look elsewhere for a snack.  (We pack small bags of nuts)

GELATO;  one time splurge!  yummy.

ALCOHOL .not a big drinker..it conflicts with my meds and liver  test result.  Drink wine coolers, and lower carb alcohol. My   SPLURGE is Amaretta or Baileys on the Rocks

(my husb drinks lite beer and scotch)

WATER:  Use bottled water.  Bring spring water on board, buy Pellegrino or Evian..to avoid bloat.

We walk, use the stairs, and the gym a few times  if we can.

My blood sugar does go up after a cruise but usually no weight gain.  My husb does Ok too 

ENJOY..Never feel deprived!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Based on personal experience two weeks ago, it is possible to sail (in our case 10 days), enjoy a variety of food, and not gain a pound on the trip.  (I had a recent scary cardiac issue and recovery has pushed me to recently drop weight and watch my intake of salt and saturated fat).  We stuck to the same portions and types of foods we now eat at home.  The suggestions above are excellent.  Ability to eat healthy and tasty, with convenience, is also one of the top reasons we enjoyed our recent cruise despite some light popping and creaking in the cabin and some other hiccups (and Celebrity's yoyo on various cutbacks, advertising issues, etc)

A few tactics we had:

There are a lot of sauces, possible butter use, and salting, so we always asked for entrees without the three.  This made it into my profile so often waiters knew in advance. 

Most calorie savings were done by sticking to oatmeal and berries at breakfast.  We then avoided most of the breads, especially when one sees them over and over at different venues. 

We also avoided all the cold cuts and cheeses. 

With regard to the salads and vegetables, we often asked for a double order at restaurants (and would add salmon or chicken).  We would also avoid the soups. 

At least on Beyond, for a few dinners, the evening vegetables and salad bar at the buffet with a small taste of other items was sometimes preferable to us versus Luminae.  We also would grab apples for snacks. 

For recent medical reasons we had to cut out most alcohol and sugared drinks. 

We didn't hesitate to ask for some drinks, like a sparkling water, to be tossed in the blender with a dash of flavored syrup for taste. 

If we were splurging it was calculated like a bite of pizza from a slice that was hot and fresh, a portion of a good looking steak (no sauce), the ice cream flavor that I like and not because it was available, etc. 

Eden and Rooftop were accommodating.   Eden Cafe seemed healthier than the Spa cafe offerings that were premade.   

We avoided the Mast Grill, but were in line during a food gap and needed lunch.  We got out when the grill cook dripped sweat all over place. We said something to him (he was a manager) and got salmon from room service.  

I also did a lot of exercise each day, though I did take some elevators and many were visibly doing a lot more than me.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

So many great suggestions!  Thank you.  Since menus are fleetwide, can anyone recommend particularly delicious and healthy-ish entrees enjoyed in the MDR?  For discerning fish eaters, how is the salmon? 

25 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Most calorie savings were done by sticking to oatmeal and berries at breakfast.  We then avoided most of the breads, especially when one sees them over and over at different venues. 

💯 %

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the buffet I put the sauces and meats on top of steamed or stir fried veggies instead of rice or pasta.  I also ask for a "double" when I order I drink.  That may seem counterintuitive but it is a way to avoid excessive amounts of juices and sugary mixers.  Plus I will sip a drink that tastes stronger so it lasts longer.  I ask them not to bring the bread basket in the MDR.  I also prefer to book cruises where will do a lot of walking touring the ports (Europe/Asia) rather than lying on a beach sucking up cocktails all day.  

• Like 1

In the MDR, definitely (politely) instruct the waitstaff NOT to bring the breadbasket to the table - ever.  As said previously, also ask for proteins to be served without sauces.  You can also double up on vegetables and ask for a fruit plate for dessert.  

I enjoy a spinach/mushroom egg white omelet at breakfast with a 1/2 toasted bagel.  There's also lots of fresh fruit available.  I even treat myself to a 1/2 grapefruit once or twice during the cruise.  (people on statins know what I'm talking about). The big challenge is staying away from the breakfast pastries.

Its entirely do-able but its up to you.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

"healthy" is quite subjective, some avoid carbs, others do not.  However, I will say if you order a Ceasar salad and a chicken breast with your meal, it's quite filling and you may eat less of your entree

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was going to say the same thing, “healthy eating” is very subjective.  It could mean anything from strict carnivore to strict vegan….and everything in between!  Tell us how YOU define healthy and I’m sure you’ll get some great answers pointing you in the right direction.

Frankly, I find there are many varied options on the cruise ships and haven’t had any difficulty staying within the boundaries of my personal eating preferences, which many feel are very restrictive (though I don’t).

Edited by Mauidiver
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Karen450 said:

So many great suggestions!  Thank you.  Since menus are fleetwide, can anyone recommend particularly delicious and healthy-ish entrees enjoyed in the MDR?  For discerning fish eaters, how is the salmon? 

It may very well vary and be specified on the menu, but the standard salmon filet tasted and appeared to be farm raised salmon typical of what's found at restaurants, flash frozen at U.S. supermarkets, and Costco/BJs/Sam's Clubs. We had sit down dinners at Rooftop, Eden and Luminae (Retreat).  Among those we ate branzino, cod, halibut, corvina (Eden), and likely others. I cannot comment on the MDRs, but the salmon available from room service was probably from the MDR stock, as was a filet I had in Luminae one night when ordering from the "classic" menu. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

Is there a source anywhere that shows calories for Celebrity menu items?

I recently searched and could not find anything except a lot of posts telling people to relax and not count calories while they are on vacation.

1 hour ago, Mauidiver said:

I was going to say the same thing, “healthy eating” is very subjective.  It could mean anything from strict carnivore to strict vegan….and everything in between!  Tell us how YOU define healthy and I’m sure you’ll get some great answers pointing you in the right direction.

Frankly, I find there are many varied options on the cruise ships and haven’t had any difficulty staying within the boundaries of my personal eating preferences, which many feel are very restrictive (though I don’t).

You are 100 percent correct.  I guess I like to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, refined sugars in moderation, lean proteins of all types. Having successfully kept off 50 pounds for the past 25 years, I am chronically in maintenance mode.  For some people this balance comes naturally, but I have to be mindful everyday.  Simply put, I love to eat, and that has never changed.  I just need to be prepared.  Everyone’s suggestions are super helpful! 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SerraG said:

I recently searched and could not find anything except a lot of posts telling people to relax and not count calories while they are on vacation.

I think the strategies shared by fellow cruisers actually prevent calorie counting and allows for a relaxed dining experience.  That being said, the opportunity for cruisers to access nutrition information is an idea worthy of consideration.  

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

To name a few :

Breakfast:

Eggs Benedict ---- 2 bagels/smoked salmon--- 4 Danish pastries

Lunch:

Nothing special-- perhaps a salad / French bread ---6 slices of pizza ---dish of ice cream /4 chocolate chip cookies  ( gotta save " room " for dinner )---

Dinner:

3 Shrimp cocktails to start

Prime rib---- lots of sauce----easy on the green beans and carrot sticks

Beef tenderloin---- extra gravy--- easy on the mashed potatoes-- no green beans ( had 'em yesterday )

Various chicken dishes---- minimum amount of vegetables

Various Indian dishes--- especially Butter Chicken

Creme Brule ---- Chocolate deserts--- Cherries Jubilee

And then-------I wake up !!!!!

How could anyone eat 6 pieces of that pizza?  Were your taste buds damaged?    You did forgot those hamburgers lying in the grease   at the Mast Grill.

30 minutes ago, keesar said:

How could anyone eat 6 pieces of that pizza?  Were your taste buds damaged?    You did forgot those hamburgers lying in the grease   at the Mast Grill.

You missed  the last sentence------

"And then-------I wake up !!!!! "

I was having a dream.

LOL--- In " real " life I don't eat the pizza or hamburgers at the Mast Grill----

The rest of the " healthy " meals I mentioned ----- Absolutely !!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Karen450 said:

You are 100 percent correct.  I guess I like to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, refined sugars in moderation, lean proteins of all types. Having successfully kept off 50 pounds for the past 25 years, I am chronically in maintenance mode.  For some people this balance comes naturally, but I have to be mindful everyday.  Simply put, I love to eat, and that has never changed.  I just need to be prepared.  Everyone’s suggestions are super helpful! 

5 hours ago, Karen450 said:

You will have no problems. As someone else said, breakfast is one meal where being careful with your choices can make a huge difference. Another is drinking your calories. I assume you didn't get a drink package? Too much daily alcohol will ruin any weight management. Don't drink any of those juice/juice beverages in the buffet. Limit fried foods. One starter at dinner. 

Are you a gym goer? Daily exercise is key. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2