Icon OTS-Passenger overboard and survived?

17 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t understand why the article mentioned tips for staying safe on board. Unfortunately the passenger jumped off the ship.

Agree.  Passengers don't "fall" overboard. Fortunately he survived and hopefully, at least for his family, will fully recover.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t understand why the article mentioned tips for staying safe on board. Unfortunately the passenger jumped off the ship.

Agree.  The article discusses the need for caution near railings.  No, you're not going over the railing unless you REALLY TRY (or, less likely, are the victim of foul play).  No one is just placidly looking over the rail and -- WHOOPS! -- swept out to sea.  No one. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 9

Well, if you don’t get excited at being on a ship during a hurricane, it could happen.  
I stepped onto the promenade deck during a hurricane, quickly changed my mind. Lockdown came soon after. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Wondering how they discovered it so quickly.  At least the headline mentions leaped rather than falling.

Security cameras are everywhere on the ship and possible and crew passenger witnesses. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Well, if you don’t get excited at being on a ship during a hurricane, it could happen.  
I stepped onto the promenade deck during a hurricane, quickly changed my mind. Lockdown came soon after. 

I haven't experienced lockdown, but on a cruise last fall we went through a BIG storm on our last day ... they put up signs /closed off the upper-upper deck, and crew stacked up all the pool loungers /lashed the stacks to the poles so they couldn't blow around.  

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Wondering how they discovered it so quickly. 

And it was daytime.  I have to believe the rescue teams have a MUCH better chance of success when daylight is on their side.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I haven't experienced lockdown, but on a cruise last fall we went through a BIG storm on our last day ... they put up signs /closed off the upper-upper deck, and crew stacked up all the pool loungers /lashed the stacks to the poles so they couldn't blow around

Sailed on Anthem February and Easter sail and a few days were quite windy, and the upper decks early AM were all closed.  In addition, the 5th deck outer area was closed.

The only total lock down I experienced was some years ago on the Serenade when we left Civitavecchia/Rome.  There was a warning that there was a person overboard.  They were having an issue confirming and finally they ordered us to our cabins.  The entire episode lasted some 5-7 hours and the ship finally continued on its way after getting approval from the Italian Coast Guard.  It was determined that someone left a jacket/shirt on one of the loungers and the wind blew it over the Mediterranean Sea.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Weird... 

"1. Stay Cautious Near Railings: It might be tempting to lean over the railings for a selfie, but always maintain a safe distance."

Nobody has ever accidentally slip over the railing...

And it was daytime.  I have to believe the rescue teams have a MUCH better chance of success when daylight is on their side.  

Take into account that if a person is not wearing a lifejacket, and is unconscious in the water that just about everything from the neck down is under the water so any SAR crew in a small boat are effectivley looking for just the head and of course they themselves are only just above sea level so their visibility is extremely limited.

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Weird... 

"1. Stay Cautious Near Railings: It might be tempting to lean over the railings for a selfie, but always maintain a safe distance."

Lean over the rail for a selfie? I'd be too worried about dropping my phone into the ocean.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

And it was daytime.  I have to believe the rescue teams have a MUCH better chance of success when daylight is on their side.  

Take into account that if a person is not wearing a lifejacket, and is unconscious in the water that just about everything from the neck down is under the water so any SAR crew in a small boat are effectivley looking for just the head and of course they themselves are only just above sea level so their visibility is extremely limited.

Unconscious and no life jacket. What makes you think their head is going to be sticking out of the water?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

.  I have to believe the rescue teams have a MUCH better chance of success when daylight is on their side.  

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Nearly impossible to spot a person overboard, without a flotation device, regardless of the amount of daylight

The fact that so many sites are including "world's largest cruise ship" automatically make them click bait.

The size of the ship has no relevance to mental state of the passengers it carries.  Large or small ship, an attempt to takes one's life is a larger concern compared to the size of the ship.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, twangster said:

The fact that so many sites are including "world's largest cruise ship" automatically make them click bait.

The size of the ship has no relevance to mental state of the passengers it carries.  Large or small ship, an attempt to takes one's life is a larger concern compared to the size of the ship.  

Yes, I also didn't understand why they also mentioned some of the ship's amenities and venues. It is so irrelevant.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Weird... 

Yes they have Skier...I know of one personally, well incidentally anyways.  On Grand Princess sailing out of the Galveston port as it was just getting dark going into the Gulf, my best friend and her 2 daughters witnessed a rescue of a couple who were completely nude when they hauled them in, they were unharmed she said but many witnessed this...obvious what happened.😲

I found a news item, it was 2007:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/couple-doing-the-wild-thing-on-balcony-of-cruise-ship-fall-overboard-and-wait-4-hours-for-rescue.15270/

Hey it was mentioned on Cruise Critic too: 

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Unconscious and no life jacket. What makes you think their head is going to be sticking out of the water?

Natural buoyancy springs to mind.

It was something they pushed when I was studying for my Masters Certificate and working a ship simulator ....but never having been as unfortunate as to have to deal with such an incident I defer to their judgement.🙂

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Yes they have Skier...I know of one personally, well incidentally anyways.  On Grand Princess sailing out of the Galveston port as it was just getting dark going into the Gulf, my best friend and her 2 daughters witnessed a rescue of a couple who were completely nude when they hauled them in, they were unharmed she said but many witnessed this...obvious what happened.😲

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/couple-doing-the-wild-thing-on-balcony-of-cruise-ship-fall-overboard-and-wait-4-hours-for-rescue.15270/

I remember that one, sitting on the Railing, falling over pulling the other with them

43 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

I remember that one, sitting on the Railing, falling over pulling the other with them

To me that's not "accidental", that's stupidity. When I think accidental, I think, you're out walking and a strong wind blows you off the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Well I wouldn't say that that one was exactly "accidental" LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1