The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 8th, 2024

My BFF was called this week and told that the people he had been meeting with in his church group in RI had Covid, and I spoke with a few people in Cincinnati this week, who just got back from Boston, and they had Covid, so apparently take care in the NE!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

My favorite cousin was diagnosed with a glioblastoma in May, 2023 & given 5-6 months to live...he passed away 5 weeks later.  Didn't have any symptoms other than being more tired than usual so the diagnosis was a real shock.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 13

This is what I found about the quote --

Iflife were a game of hide and seek, our minds would be the ones hiding and our hearts would be the ones seeking. There is no practical or mindful method as to how we go about accomplishing our dreams, because the truth is all we have to do is listen to our heart and our intuitions. Paulo Coelho’s ‘The Alchemist’ a novel written with magic, does a stellar job at repainting the intuition of following your heart constantly with the recurrence of a particular saying, “when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it.” 

The full article is here --

https://medium.com/@sophiya.garcha/when-you-want-something-the-whole-universe-conspires-in-order-for-you-to-achieve-it-the-c01118dd387a

• Like 12
  • Thanks 13

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Sea Breeze cocktail:

A sea breeze is a cocktail containing vodka with cranberry juice and grapefruit juice. The cocktail is usually consumed during summer months. The drink may be shaken in order to create a foamy surface. It is considered an IBA Official Cocktail. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: 1 1/3 oz Vodka, 1 oz Grapefruit juice, 4 oz Cranberry juice
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime slice

Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 6.17.18 AM.png

Living in Florida I always fell that sea breeze splash against my face; especially when I have had too many! 😀

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It’s a day of finishing packing and saying goodbye to our ship mates. Tomorrow we have a 11:30 AM flight to ATL and another 45 min flight home. If all goes well we should be home by 7:30 PM.

Rather grayish day outside but we did see a couple of whales. Last night’s late rain brought Saharan dirt with it so the ship needs a good wash down. 
First days at home will be busy with dental and dr. appointments, shopping and omg the mail and unpacking.

So that’s all folks! It’s over!

Thank you to all that make the Daily a part of our daily lives.👏

Bruce

Oh no, time to come home! And it was such a short cruise! Thanks for keeping us updated during your cruise!

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny and very warm central Texas.  It is currently 81F and feels like 87F.  Our high will be 94F.  I wanted to heading out to mow the yard about now, but I slept later than I intended.  I guess I needed the sleep after yesterday.

I will celebrate my best friends and honor brain tumor awareness and Caribbean American HIV/AIDS awareness.

I do not like or agree with the quote today.

The meal sounds good, and I might cook salmon in the air fryer tonight, but it won't be with asparagus since we don't have any.  The drink sounds refreshing, but will pass because of the grapefruit juice.  I would definitely try the wine.

We have been to Kiritimati three times, but once was pre-digital.

Two interesting but sad days in history.  Thank you, Sandi, @StLouisCruisers for the article about the USS Liberty.  Mickey Mantle was a great ball player, but he did have his issues.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm sorry your relaxing vacation is not going as planned.  I hope the new room is much better, and that your DH gets a good report about his leg injury.

@LambKnuckles  Lambie, what a nice memory about meeting Mickey Mantle.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope the weekend goes well without the extra help.  I hope the teenager and his girl friend have a great time at the parade tomorrow.

@aliaschief  Bruce, again, thank you for taking us along on your wonderful cruise.  Safe travels home tomorrow.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm sorry your back bothered you last night, but glad it's a bit better today.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the new washer and dryer arrive on time and work well.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope Allen can regain some of the weight and that his kidney numbers improve.  It's never easy to break-in a new doctor.

@rafinmd  Roy, you remember correctly about Mary Kay's @cruzn single health problems.  IIRC, her COPD had progressed to pulmonary fibrosis.  I also doubt she will be boarding her ship tomorrow.

@Nickelpenny  Pennie, I hope you can get the new tire today, and the new restaurant is good.

359790059_726232642843219_4564063802050072757_n.jpg.27a791447a77a62df1ba8442c8b2fcec.jpg

360104150_675012824659369_860029354724114659_n.jpg.74d30196be65ad36ea1020548b2be726.jpg

368783267_249329498017726_2355609489944140231_n.jpg.2cf50ea28a70b97ddea99ca5f5e7d624.jpg

369593180_3443265886003322_2535673311631002913_n.jpg.7e710f148d1a416a0cf848c94d2cc406.jpg

370578184_6614834148573943_8987845992745566128_n.jpg.7ac828da3a335ccdeb431c219e1df6af.jpg

392786680_911345557660141_900275973934599464_n.jpg.5ac7cafe15618049408cc7a7c473e527.jpg

Lenda

Ms Crystal, in referenced to the egg, my doctors always tells me when he examined me that he may see a crack!, not hear one, hopefully! 😬

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

Good morning all!

Another gorgeous day in the PNW.  Lots of sun and highs in the mid-high 70's.  I should be doing laundry today, but...it's hard to be inside today.

Three worthy days to note.  My BFF and I have been best friends for 64 years.  I might like the drink but will pass on the red wine and the meal.  I love salmon and asparagus, but the sauce just doesn't sound good.  Tonight DH will be doing steak on the bbq.

Christmas Island was on our GANZ itinerary but many of us weren't able to set foot on it.  Just as our tender # was coming up, and after waiting hours,  all tender operations were suspended.  The tide had gone out too far, and some people were stranded over there for 8+ hours.  Until I heard their stories, I was sad not to get over there.  Then I was relieved.  Thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser for your photos.

Bon Voyage @Suslor and @swin26!

This is all we could see of Christmas Island

ChristmasIsland.thumb.jpg.29ccd58faf62c5e912f77fd3d5699a15.jpg

ChristmasIsl..thumb.jpg.a793940dbfe8a74c3931b416c5be5ff0.jpg

C_Isl..jpg.ef16e8f56220da8eee61c982db5209a5.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good morning and Happy Saturday. Yesterday was so hot that I had no desire to get in the pool. I’m hoping I feel like it today. Right now it’s 90 and it’s supposed to be about 104 later. 

All good things to celebrate. I’ve heard of the sauce that is part of the the meal suggestion but never had it. I think we will have leftover quiche and salad today. Yesterday I made a chef’s salad with lots of yummy goodies in it and will do the same thing today. 

Bon Voyage @Suslor and @swin26!!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, do the relatives know you are onboard?  Good luck with the sticky situation. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all! 
Bon voyage to @Suslor   Fourth time lucky!  You give me hope!   And @swin26

praying all is well for @cruzn single

@smitty34877 hope the teenager has a great time, and that things are calm for you this weekend. 

I lost my dear brother at 30 years of age less than a year after he was diagnosed with a gliablastoma.   A terribly aggressive disease. 

They have excavated to the location of the leak, the pipe is 11 km long with a diameter of two meters,  so hopefully it can be repaired in a week, best case scenario.  So we will be on these extreme restrictions for awhile.  We now save every bit of grey water, truly makes you think about something we take for granted, clean water.  There is a very real concern we will run out.  Stores have limited purchase of water.  

On a brighter note, we have our dear granddog as  DS is off to Prince Edward Island for a little R and R after his four years of intense study.  

Hope you enjoy some of the wildflowers of Waterton National Park.  It’s a UNESCO world heritage site,  

IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good Afternoon from a very warm and sunny day at the beach

Interesting collection of days. MY BFF lost her 14 year old son to a brain tumor. It was 30 years ago and treatments have changed greatly in  that time. Terrible disease.

We were scheduled to stop at Christmas Island but it was cancelled due to the tides. Thank you @Quartzsite Cruiser for the great pictures.

Played golf this AM. It was a little warm but had good breezes so OK. My clubs fit very nicely in my new car so all is well!

Another Spacex launch last nite. It makes me a little nervous because there are so many and they are doing so well. 

@Suslor Have a wonderful cruise!

@aliaschief  Thanks for taking us along. Safe travels home. Always hard to say goodbye to new friends after such a voyage.

Not much on the agenda for the remaining weekend.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks for the daily news.  Bon voyage to those about to sail!  I, too, thought there should be a "not" in the quote of the day, but you never know...  Actually, I had a call yesterday to move my appointment with the surgeon up to next Tuesday, the 11th instead of the 25th, so maybe it does work sometimes..

I would like the gribiche sauce, as I love capers and cornichons, but I really wonder how they would go with hard-boiled eggs as a topping for asparagus.  I suppose it would end up something like a pickle relish, only French.  DD makes a great egg salad sandwich which includes a pickle relish, so maybe something like that.

Pat seems to be having a great time in England, his cousin's 96th birthday party went on for 7 hours yesterday, first they had lunch at DC's favourite restaurant, the French Table, and then continued at his home with cake and presents.  I had no idea what to give him, so Pat organized a gift card beforehand at the French Table, and that seemed to go over well.  Pat has been trying to send pictures, but evidently the hotel internet is too weak.  

Beautiful weather here, everything is growing furiously, and I am having to water.  The reservoir is down to 93% and I worry about the summer.   

IMG_5218.thumb.jpeg.676b78abea1a8849548004de4f70ccda.jpeg

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3

I think that I might prefer ordinary hollandaise with the salmon and asparagus, and I might like the cocktail better without the alcohol (this is the first time I have ever said that).

AgeofAsparagus.jpeg.03388a3880160512fcff3548a468b93a.jpeg

For the wine, a Finger Lakes Cabernet Franc might be the most similar, but to stick with Pinot Noir I'd consider Dr. Frank's Old Vines Pinot Noir 2021. "Includes the original Pinot Noir vines planted in 1958 by our founder representing the 2nd oldest Pinot Noir vines in America. Radiant and luminous offering nuanced cranberries and red cherries woven with earthiness, leather, and subtle oak notes. Silken and light yet mineral evolving into a complex, long-lasting finish," $26.99.

rhinoart.jpg.77e2f875c6954f0016a1ed903c3d5f77.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 20

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Best Friends are a blessing. Brain Tumors are scary, but most more treatable these days. Caribbean American awareness day highlights some disparity in healthcare access. Not sure I agree with the quote. Pass on the meal (fish), yes to the drink and wine. I haven't been to Kiritimati. One sad day (Mantle) and one awful day in history. Great news about the recue of 4 hostages from Gaza.

It's more sunny here today, warming up after a cool start, and a low chance of rain for a change. I guess maybe the multiple doses of Benadryl caught up to me. I went to bed around midnight, woke up to post the Cares List, then fell back asleep until 10AM! So a late start to the day. I'm not sure of plans, but I'd like to start a sourdough bread dough (maybe). These days my knee is a limiting factor, as well as some old low back pain that had disappeared with PT. I will call on Monday to set up PT again, although next week is booked with taking BFF to appointments, and a haircut (thank goodness) and eye appointment for me, and someone coming to look at the radiator situation in the LR. 

@StLouisCruisers Oh my, I hope your cruise doesn't end up having drama! Sorry DH got a rubbery lobster last night; not right, especially if you're paying extra. Thanks for the link about the USS Liberty. 

@ottahand7 I'm sorry you had a bad night. I hope your DB does well in rehab and has a good outcome this time. 

@grapau27 Although so sad, how wonderful that Sarah's best friend's DH and 2 others with brain tumors raised all that money for brain tumor research. 

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear of the troubles with wifi, your TV and phone. Having to move rooms is a pain, but especially if not on the ground floor. I hope DH gets a good report at the medical clinic, although it seems soon for him to be able to go in the water (just my 2 cents). I hope your vacation improves.

@smitty34877 Sorry you don't have any extra help this weekend. Prayers for a safe trip into the city for the teenager and his GF. 

@aliaschief Safe travels home tomorrow.

@dfish Your cake yesterday was impressive looking. 

@marshhawk Sorry about DH's credit card fraud. 

@Haljo1935 Blood tests can help some, if your calcium or uric acid levels are elevated. A urinalysis can look for crystals. And then examination of a stone. Dietary change recommendations would be different depending on the type of stone. There are nephrologists who specialize in kidney stone treatment and prevention.

@Seasick Sailor Sorry to hear of DH's medical issues, especially the weight loss. That's a lot of weight he lost. Prayers he can at least maintain, if not gain.

@RMLincoln I'm watching the French Open and will tune in to the Stanley Cup finals starting tonight. I pay $350 for tax filing from my CPA and think that's high! I've been with him 20+years and think it was $150 when I started out. Nice that your DGD and her DH are coming tomorrow. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice photos from Kiritimati. 

@Mr. Boston Welcome home!

@bennybear Being without a source of water for that long sure does make you think how good we have it, compared to those countries where clean water is a luxury. Lovely wildflower photos.

@Vict0riann Great news on your appointment with the surgeon being moved up. Your flowers are beautiful.

@kazu I hope you're not in too much pain.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I had the world's worst lobster at Pinnacle Grill. It was horrible. Out of our 50+ days on Rotterdam this past year,  I loved Tamarind and Canalletto the best. The last few Morimoto dining room lobsters were very good.

The worst:

20240108_170454.thumb.jpg.6a79657808a035b82ecd3ac033565003.jpg

Better:

20231217_180822.thumb.jpg.3dc5e7ec0ca8e1e3adfc4aff9a8323df.jpg

Meh in Pinnacle 

20231223_173612.thumb.jpg.aa228eb3ac2b860adee8fffbfd7c8ca0.jpg

Very good

20240113_175251.thumb.jpg.0b3ee2bf64bf62f5e708db1c31f7fc80.jpg

pretty tasty 

1212221828.thumb.jpg.3d5ecc5be808dd538676d7db623b3008.jpg

Canalletto great!

20231208_181126.thumb.jpg.0061ca26e5c8c28500a8f8f0d8d698d1.jpg

Great sauce!

20231129_174316.thumb.jpg.f5a64144d8fbfb75d4cbd958df2a72fc.jpg

Next night, the same. Very good. 

20231214_180402.thumb.jpg.b2d5156f73f1dc0cdc1b792d1564b1da.jpg

Sauce not as present as previous dish.

20231230_175549.thumb.jpg.d19836136dd510af05d8b604bc69d605.jpg

Little taste.  Overdone. 

20231220_174810.thumb.jpg.de06e9493c2453ec54732aa33b3f0738.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

We are dog and condo sitting for friends who have been away this week. Their corner verandah has beautiful waterfront views which has made our return from Europe quite enjoyable. 

An acquaintance from last year is aboard our former Prinsendam, now Phoenix Riesen's Ameria, and reports it looks good. In addition to it's new engines, he reports she has new bathrooms, newly done MDR and hook ups for shoreside power in port. He speaks German, so is at home on her.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. 

17178709345689087907026032003062.jpg

20240608_142302.jpg

20240608_142309.jpg

20240608_142315.jpg

20240607_205757.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I think that I might prefer ordinary hollandaise with the salmon and asparagus, and I might like the cocktail better without the alcohol (this is the first time I have ever said that).

We are on the same page with the hollandaise.  We will have salmon and asparagus tonight, but with hollandaise.

@Vict0riann I am happy to hear that your appointment has been moved up.  Hopefully, the surgeon will have a plan that is easily executed.

@RMLincoln That price sounds very high to me.  Mine was somewhat complicated last year due to having to file in two states, but it cost me half that.  Next year I can do it myself.  

@marshhawk Thank you for checking on @cruzn single.  Does anyone know her full name?

Also, sorry about DH's credit card fraud.  It is always a pain when that happens, but at least we are not held responsible.  

Our sunshine from this morning has disappeared and we have a cold rain in its place.  We'll be wishing for the cool temperatures later this week when we're close to 90.  We changed our flights to get into Boston a day earlier so that we have a full day in Boston.  We're meeting up with Sharon @Sharon in AZ and will be exploring the city together.  As Sharon said, three wild women take on Boston!   Now I am super excited!

• Like 25

Hello all,

So here is our update.  i am still trying to figure out why we did this trip.

After breakfast we went to the Medical center.  They cleaned up the wound and re-wrapped it.  Another $150 please!  Come back on Tuesday.

After we returned we  were told that we were moving to the room right above us.  That sent up signals to me.  Our house keeper asked me if I thought it was a good idea for my husband to climb the stairs.  While I was not happy, my other concern was:  hmm does the phone and TV work there? So the housekeeper and i went upstairs and sure enough it did not.  It appears that the whole block of rooms is affected.  So they were going to move us to a room with the same problem. NO WAY JOSE!  So they then wanted to downgrade us to a lower class room.  i said no.  I said “Let’s make a deal”. i will stay in the same room.  Give me a cell phone or something to contact you in an emergency and either a ton of Marriott points or a rate reduction.  Okay, we have to get in touch with the manager.  He will see you on Monday.  

We are staying in the room we are in.

The housekeeper told us to go to lunch and she would tidy up our room.

Okay so, we started out and JIM FELL DOWN ON AN UNEVEN PAVEMENT.  Jest what we needed.  I just screamed at the top of my lungs and everyone came running.  They patched him up and a wheelchair appeared out of nowhere.  i just burst into tears.  How much can a person take!   it turned out that he scraped his arm and and that is it, but he was quite shaken.  I, on the other hand, am a basket case,  If I could go hom right now, I would.

i am still trying to figure out why we did this trip.  It is the trip from hell.  If it could go wrong, it has and it will.  I have yet to sit at the beach or go in the water.  i am exhausted.

Thanks for listening.

Terri

• Like 6
  • Thanks 20

10 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello all,

So here is our update.  i am still trying to figure out why we did this trip.

After breakfast we went to the Medical center.  They cleaned up the wound and re-wrapped it.  Another $150 please!  Come back on Tuesday.

After we returned we  were told that we were moving to the room right above us.  That sent up signals to me.  Our house keeper asked me if I thought it was a good idea for my husband to climb the stairs.  While I was not happy, my other concern was:  hmm does the phone and TV work there? So the housekeeper and i went upstairs and sure enough it did not.  It appears that the whole block of rooms is affected.  So they were going to move us to a room with the same problem. NO WAY JOSE!  So they then wanted to downgrade us to a lower class room.  i said no.  I said “Let’s make a deal”. i will stay in the same room.  Give me a cell phone or something to contact you in an emergency and either a ton of Marriott points or a rate reduction.  Okay, we have to get in touch with the manager.  He will see you on Monday.  

We are staying in the room we are in.

The housekeeper told us to go to lunch and she would tidy up our room.

Okay so, we started out and JIM FELL DOWN ON AN UNEVEN PAVEMENT.  Jest what we needed.  I just screamed at the top of my lungs and everyone came running.  They patched him up and a wheelchair appeared out of nowhere.  i just burst into tears.  How much can a person take!   it turned out that he scraped his arm and and that is it, but he was quite shaken.  I, on the other hand, am a basket case,  If I could go hom right now, I would.

i am still trying to figure out why we did this trip.  It is the trip from hell.  If it could go wrong, it has and it will.  I have yet to sit at the beach or go in the water.  i am exhausted.

Thanks for listening.

Terri

Oh Terri, I don't know what to say! What hell you and Jim are going through. I can only send prayers,  but believe me, I am a prayer warrior and will keep Jim in my heart.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Here's "One more thing" happening here. Our dear friend (who's husband Ronnie you've been praying for..) B fell over a box and broke her humerus bone under her left shoulder last night about 11:30. Went to ER and will need surgery. 6 to week recovery. This crap never stops.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 15

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Here's "One more thing" happening here. Our dear friend (who's husband Ronnie you've been praying for..) B fell over a box and broke her humerus bone under her left shoulder last night about 11:30. Went to ER and will need surgery. 6 to week recovery. This crap never stops.

Oh no Joy.

Prayers 🙏 for your dear friend.

A Friend on Royal Caribbean daily posted today his dear wife passed away this morning.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh Terri, I don't know what to say! What hell you and Jim are going through. I can only send prayers,  but believe me, I am a prayer warrior and will keep Jim in my heart.

Thank you Joy.  It has been a rough day and really not the vacation we anticipated.

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you Joy.  It has been a rough day and really not the vacation we anticipated.

Terri

You are in our prayers 🙏 Terri.

• Like 14