interlopers on excursion

Having just come off our cruise, I have to tell you all about the strangest experience we've had yet. 

Now I consider myself about as cheap as they come, but another couple one-upped us on a recent walking tour shore excursion we had booked. 

Basically, they hung around and just followed the walking tour of the city - but weren't on the official excursion list, nor had they paid. We got to talking and they defended their actions by saying that we were just walking in public and there wasn't anything the guide could do. The guide didn't make a fuss but we all felt a bit awkard. I do wonder if they got charged for it in the end but I doubt the cruise line did anything. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arealcheapskate said:

Having just come off our cruise, I have to tell you all about the strangest experience we've had yet. 

Now I consider myself about as cheap as they come, but another couple one-upped us on a recent walking tour shore excursion we had booked. 

Basically, they hung around and just followed the walking tour of the city - but weren't on the official excursion list, nor had they paid. We got to talking and they defended their actions by saying that we were just walking in public and there wasn't anything the guide could do. The guide didn't make a fuss but we all felt a bit awkard. I do wonder if they got charged for it in the end but I doubt the cruise line did anything. 

Not cool.  Not surprised.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arealcheapskate said:

Based on most everything I've either heard or learned over the past few years, I have developed my new expression......"we're so far into the Twilight Zone, there is NO WAY OUT!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Right out of a Curb episode. 

• Like 1

I am forever hunting down the best available price , but what these people did is basically stealing. It is too bad you got stuck with them. 
Most folks we have met on cruises / excursions have been wonderful.

Unfortunately there always seems to be a rotten apple or two in the barrel.☹️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Oville said:

Isn’t this the tour company’s issue?  Sorry it clearly spoiled it for you.  Not sure I would have noticed.

I didn’t ”hear” the OP say their excursion was spoiled. I would have likely noticed and wondered how this couple thought a tag along at no charge was okay. 

Edited by CruiseLifeIsTheBest
Typo
  • Like 5

We had this happen once on an excursion. The guide was busy dealing with a passenger who kept crowding in frot of the others. She was a paying client , not the interloper. 

• Haha 1

Amazing behavior.  While I probably would have been so flabbergasted I wouldn't have thought if doing this -- but I wonder how the interlopers would have reacted if several of the paying customers took out their phones and took photos of them.  Might they have wondered if they were going to be reported to Guest Relations?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arealcheapskate said:

I sure wouldn't feel awkward. It is a head shaker for sure, but I wouldn't waste any energy on them.   I doubt the tour company did anything other than roll their eyes.   There probably isn't much they could do.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oville said:

Isn’t this the tour company’s issue?  Sorry it clearly spoiled it for you.  Not sure I would have noticed.

If someone was robbing your house when you were not home would you want your neighbors to say something to someone ( you , police , ect ) or would you want them to say that is your issue and ignore it ?

• Like 1

Three of us were on a private all-day tour (with a wonderful guide) in Buenos Aires. While in  Recoleta Cemetery an American couple approached us and asked if they could join our tour of the cemetery. I was a bit surprised but they were so polite and hopeful that i agreed.  Our guide looked a little stunned, but I assured her that it was OK with us.  Were we taken advantage of with this request? Maybe, but so what...it would only be for a small portion of our day.  Fortunately, as we parted at the cemetery gates. the couple left our guide with a nice tip. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Amazing behavior.  While I probably would have been so flabbergasted I wouldn't have thought if doing this -- but I wonder how the interlopers would have reacted if several of the paying customers took out their phones and took photos of them.  Might they have wondered if they were going to be reported to Guest Relations?

And what could guest relations realistically do? Is there something in the cruise contract that says passengers cannot walk at the same place as an excursion?

Note I am not defending them, just wondering what can be done.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, horseymike said:

If someone was robbing your house when you were not home would you want your neighbors to say something to someone ( you , police , ect ) or would you want them to say that is your issue and ignore it ?

That is incredibly not even close to a valid comparison.  While an embarrassingly low class move, the interlopers were not committing a felony. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And what could guest relations realistically do? Is there something in the cruise contract that says passengers cannot walk at the same place as an excursion?

Note I am not defending them, just wondering what can be done.

Guest services would smile and say thanks for the info.  Then they would do nothing, other than shake their heads and chuckle that anyone thought they would do something. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Guest services would smile and say thanks for the info.  Then they would do nothing, other than shake their heads and chuckle that anyone thought they would do something. 

In other words, there is nothing they can do. Well maybe they could ask themselves later why people come to them with these nonsense complaints and want us to do something.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Stealing is stealing where I come from.

I was referring to the invalid comparison.  I doubt you would call the police on the interlopers.  

Edited by ldubs

4 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Stealing is stealing where I come from.

All well and good, but the analogy does leave something to be desired. I would be more willing to help a neighbor who was having their physical property stolen then I would be to help a company who is only losing out on some potential revenue (and having nothing really stolen). The conduct of the people tagging along was trashy, absolutely, but having tagalongs is probably common for public tours.

• Like 2

If the tour is in a public place there is little anyone can do about it. In Sofia a few years ago, I came upon a walking tour and listened in for a few minutes. I did not follow when they moved on but certainly could have. 

It's up to the guide to decide how to manage "interlopers." In the situation described in the original post I wouldn't have cared unless the interlopers decided to start asking the guide questions or otherwise occupy his or her time. 

• Like 3