Should I cancel and lose $1400 or go and risk regretting it?

You know how when you go to a buffet and you see lots of yummy things and put a bunch on your plate, but when you sit down you can't actually eat everything you put on your plate?  I think I did the same thing with traveling. 

We just got back from an 8-day cruise to Italy on the Legend. It was fine except for I came home with Covid and I didn't sleep well because of noise from something related to the ship. (I was in the Vista suite on deck 4 and every time we docked--which was every day save 1 since we only had 1 sea day--I would get woken up early with some weird noise and vibrations.  Could even feel it with ear plugs in.) I am supposed to leave on July 16th to fly with my older son to Australia and then take a 15 day cruise on the Splendor to Australia, Indonesia, and Singapore.  Then I fly home from Singapore the long way (through Manchester, England), promptly have to get my kids ready to start school, and then leave about a week later leave to fly to London again. take my Mom on an 8-day cruise to Denmark and Norway. 

I am feeling exhausted rather than excited. Granted, it may be because I have Covid.  But what if I get Covid again after my Splendor sailing?  I can't back out on my Mom going on the Scandy cruise. (It is Princess out of Southampton.) It might killer her. She's been looking forward to this trip for too long. (Lifelong dream to go to Denmark where her Dad is from.) But I can cancel the Splendor sailing which is probably far more exhausting as I will literally be going around the globe.  It would cost me about $1400-something.  However, I know my older son would be very disapointed. (Younger son and husband are going to Colorado fishing for a week during this time. Older son and I have no interest in that.) The plane tickets were purchased with miles so I will have about 400k miles stuck in singapore airlines and another 400k stuck in United--both are biz class--but at least it is just miles and not money and I can always use them later.  The $1400-something is 50 percent of the room cost.   I have to make up my mind in the next week.  What would you do?  I was super excited about this a month ago and now I just feel tired. Really tired. But, IDK, maybe in another month when I no longer have Covid I won't feel so tired...  

• Like 2

I don't let the possibility of COVID or whatever is the "current event" change my plans unless it was out of my control like the forced shutdowns. Didn't when COVID was the "current event" and still don't. Each to their own.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I think you’ll recover and be feeling much better by July 17th.  Sounds like an amazing trip, memories that will last you and your son for the rest of your lives.  I wouldn’t look forward to the flights either, but business class should be nice and you can take it easy once you get there if need be.  

• Like 9

I would not cancel based on nothing more than a "what if?". Life is made up of innumerable "what if's". If I based all my decisions on that I'd never do or accomplish anything.

JMHO

• Like 8

You are correct to not risk giving your Mother Covid. Too many people only care about themselves.

While perhaps possible, I doubt you would catch covid again so soon.

The Legend cruise was exhausting if you had a tour in all ports. We did. It took a few days before life returned to normal and we weren't sick.

Maybe Carnival would let you move the Splendor cruise to a different ship and date?

I learned a long time ago not to schedule cruises too close to each other. A lesson I still forget from time to time.

Personally, I would say suck it up, buttercup, and go. I would try. I can sleep when I'm dead.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lol I just no showed myself. I have been overwhelmed with moving. Idk why, I always prints my boarding pass and put it with my passport .. got to the port hotel, next morning went to get my passport and was like oh no. I couldn't board so I drove home.

This is twice. I also was a no show last year right after my moms funeral. My brother in law thought it was his right to just go into her house and take stuff. Mr religious thought he could do whatever he wanted. I had stored valuables there, that were mine. He and his daughter had a garage sale 9 days after her funeral and went thru picture albums they thru out, my own personal stuff in my bedroom. 

In 20 years I've never been too sick to cruise, but now twice, missed 2 cruises for non covered insurance reasons. I know I cant believe it either I forgot my passport for my may cruise last month. I'm moving to port Canaveral and after 11 nights inna hotel they finally brought my stuff. Broken antiques and other small stuff. And I paid for a partial packing. Silly me thought unpacking. I cant lift a microwave, but I'm here. Now this everlasting thing I have to file a damage claim for stuff broken. And unpack. 

So twice during my ordeal im going thru i missed 2 cruises and just no showed. I think sometimes you have to decide what's best for you. I obviously just was having a hard time wrapping my  mind around a cruise last  month. I actually delayed closing on selling my dallas house until after the cruise. 3 days after I'd made final payment I decided to  ove sooner than I originally planned and found a larger condo. Now I have 2 condos here  :( .. 

I really think only you know if you are in a cruising mood. I understand hating to lose the money. That's the hardest part. No one here can tell you the right answer. There may be no right or wrong answer. From someone who just no showed for a cruise .. i feel for you losing the money and I would have liked the loyalty pts. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

You should really get better before you make any decision.

As a Mom, I do EVERYTHING for my son. So, if he's excited about going somewhere- whatever the circumstances, I take him.

Edited by Cruisesfun65
Spelling
  • Like 2

What about not going and regretting it? I would add that in the mix too. I can almost guarantee you will feel better in a month. The stress of the decision is also adding to your exhaustion. You have a week to decide so get it out of your mind and concentrate on getting well and recovering from your trip first. I think you should focus on the benefit of the trip rather the money, in the long run that’s what’s important. The trip sounds like something very special for you and your son and it’s an experience you may not be able to reschedule. I would regret losing that more, they grow up so fast, time together is priceless. It’s a lot but you can handle it and if you are this exhausted before the cruise with your mom you will suck it up and make sure she has the time of her life. Then you may come home even more exhausted but you will have no regrets. That’s the worst case, probably you are going to feel great the whole time, just do it! 

• Like 7

Don't forget that those airline points are real money, just like paying cash is.  You may not have "paid" for them, but losing them would be basically the same as a forfeiting a nonrefundable airfare.

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

You know how when you go to a buffet and you see lots of yummy things and put a bunch on your plate, but when you sit down you can't actually eat everything you put on your plate?  I think I did the same thing with traveling. 

We just got back from an 8-day cruise to Italy on the Legend. It was fine except for I came home with Covid and I didn't sleep well because of noise from something related to the ship. (I was in the Vista suite on deck 4 and every time we docked--which was every day save 1 since we only had 1 sea day--I would get woken up early with some weird noise and vibrations.  Could even feel it with ear plugs in.) I am supposed to leave on July 16th to fly with my older son to Australia and then take a 15 day cruise on the Splendor to Australia, Indonesia, and Singapore.  Then I fly home from Singapore the long way (through Manchester, England), promptly have to get my kids ready to start school, and then leave about a week later leave to fly to London again. take my Mom on an 8-day cruise to Denmark and Norway. 

I am feeling exhausted rather than excited. Granted, it may be because I have Covid.  But what if I get Covid again after my Splendor sailing?  I can't back out on my Mom going on the Scandy cruise. (It is Princess out of Southampton.) It might killer her. She's been looking forward to this trip for too long. (Lifelong dream to go to Denmark where her Dad is from.) But I can cancel the Splendor sailing which is probably far more exhausting as I will literally be going around the globe.  It would cost me about $1400-something.  However, I know my older son would be very disapointed. (Younger son and husband are going to Colorado fishing for a week during this time. Older son and I have no interest in that.) The plane tickets were purchased with miles so I will have about 400k miles stuck in singapore airlines and another 400k stuck in United--both are biz class--but at least it is just miles and not money and I can always use them later.  The $1400-something is 50 percent of the room cost.   I have to make up my mind in the next week.  What would you do?  I was super excited about this a month ago and now I just feel tired. Really tired. But, IDK, maybe in another month when I no longer have Covid I won't feel so tired...  

Go. You can sleep on the plane to Australia. I believe you have a spa pass for the Splendor. A few days enjoying that, and you'll feel better. You don't have to run and do everything when you get there. It's okay to sit back, relax and just enjoy the scenery.

As for Covid, you should be good for a couple months, at least.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

We just got back from an 8-day cruise to Italy on the Legend. It was fine except for I came home with Covid and I didn't sleep well because of noise from something related to the ship. I am feeling exhausted rather than excited. Granted, it may be because I have Covid.  But what if I get Covid again after my Splendor sailing?

so what?

My DH got covid on our April cruise and last week on our June cruise as well. It was much worse in April. 

Not gonna stop cruising.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am feeling exhausted rather than excited. Granted, it may be because I have Covid. 

The same thing just happened us.  We did a 9 day NCL Mediterranean cruise (went over a few days early to spend some time in Barcelona, so gone 2 weeks total).  We also caught covid (not a big deal it was my 4th time) but it was kind of sad to not be able to smell or taste for 3 days in Italy (when everyone was saying the food was amazing). 

On the trip home (12 hour flight & 2 3-hour flights), my ear hurt so badly I thought my eardrum might rupture.  So I totally understand how you feel - there is no way I could do another international trip anytime soon.  I would cancel.  

We are booked out of Barcelona again in the fall of 2025 and I will probably be excited by the time it rolls around, but right now, I don't even want to think about it. I'm exhausted, jet lagged, and still recovering from being sick.

• Like 2

Covid is sailing on all ships. You don’t even have to bring it with you to benefit from getting or giving it. 

Chances of Covid again within a months are slim - 

I vote go. 

• Like 3

We had Covid for the first time in December 2023, immediately after a cruise. We were both very sick for a full three weeks (including Christmas and New Years Day), then very suddenly went from extremely sick to completely normal in three days. During those three weeks of illness I was positive that I would still feel too bad to cruise on Wonder of the Seas on January 21. I did not cancel, deciding to wait until just before the cruise, and was so glad I made that decision. It was so good to do something pleasant after weeks of being so sick. I think it would have been very depressing to know I could have been on a cruise but had to miss it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Give yourself to the last minute.  It wasn't long ago you were never sailing Carnival again.  Yet here you are.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I would go.  Your child is this age once and wanting to go on an exciting trip with his mom....that may not ever happen again.  Don't throw this opportunity away.  Rest, get over Covid, decide what books you're taking for sea days, order your son some new clothes or some type of surprise for the first day on the ship and start to anticipate this wonderful trip.

I personally would love to hear about this if you will be doing some type of Live reporting. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fuddrules said:

Give yourself to the last minute.  It wasn't long ago you were never sailing Carnival again.  Yet here you are.  

Good advice. She will not know until much closer to the scheduled time of the cruise how she will feel then. Cancel now and find out you felt much better when the time comes, and she will regret it. Keeping the option of going open, not only allows her to still have that option but does not preclude just not showing up if her health does not allow it when the time comes.

• Like 2

I did not let Covid define me during the pandemic (took precautions) and certainly would not now.  Only you can decide what is right for you, but life marches on, I say go for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

But what if I get Covid again after my Splendor sailing?

Think your good for 90 days but i could be wrong.  I've caught COVID on 2 of my last 3 cruises.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with leaving the option open this far out if possible.  As covid affects everyone differently (some may not have any symptoms and others are in bed and dragging for an extended period) it may be too soon to really access how you will be feeling a month from now.  Take a step back and rest, feel better and then take another look at the whole picture from beginning to end.  Feel better soon!

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Think you’re e havegood for 90 days but i could be wrong.  I've caught COVID on 2 of my last 3 cruises.

We have cruised five times since our first (and only) experience with Covid in December, and have not picked it up again.  Yet, anyway 

I would go!   No way would I disappoint my son or mother.  However, if you are still feeling ill at the end of the first week of July, you should get evaluated by a doctor.  Your insurance should cover you if you are too sick to travel.

I recently took 3 cruises within 7 weeks.   One was a week+, including flying to/from Florida with DH.  For the second, we drove 5 hours to/from the cruise, and were gone a week.  The last cruise was 14 days plus an extra week of travel.  We flew Business overseas, so I was able to get a little rest.  However, I was so tired and could not wait to get home!  Stayed tired for a whole week and vowed that we would not be booking an annual overseas trip for 2025.  I still feel that way, but slowly checking our options for other travels.

I am surprised to hear all of this talk about getting Covid on cruises this time of year (including the April cruises.)  We cruised in March, and in May.  I never heard a peep about Covid going around on the ships.  One cruise was a Spring Break cruise with grandkids, and a ship full of other children.  DH and I came through all untouched!  In fact, we were surprised that we did not catch a cold on the long cruise.  One of us usually does.

I am curious, should any of you decided to share, are you fully vaccinated against Covid, including boosters?

• Like 1

I am curious, should any of you decided to share, are you fully vaccinated against Covid, including boosters?

The vax is not "against" or a preventative, it lessens the degree of the symptoms for some people if they do get it.  Especially for people that may have other contributing factors with their health (ie: cancer treatments, COPD issues, immune disorders, obesity, and many other issues that can alter your health).  

• Like 5