Asking for Experiences with Carrying a Small Swiss Army-type Knife/Multitool On/Off the Ship

Disclaimer: Yes, I read and understand what RCI publishes as prohibited items:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

I have read that some have been successful in packing small knives or multitools in their checked bags without issue.  What I am more interested in is what happens when I try to carry a small Swiss Army Knife (SAK) or better yet a Micro Leatherman off and back onto the ship when at a port o' call.  What's been the experience with folks in this regard, especially with those who've cruised Alaska with RCI?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Not from direct experience and a lot of this may be speculation, but you may have some issues with it at security at embarkation when checking the ship, and if not, at security reboarding at ports of call.  Hopefully others with direct experience can help.

My question out of curiosity is why would you want to have these with you, especially at a port of call?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I make do with a very small swiss army knife.  It travels in my checked suitcase which I often will carry on board when I'm permitted to.

Victorinox Classic SD type.  

I've taken it on countless cruises.  

I don't typically take it off the ship at ports of call so I can't help from that perspective.  

Posted (edited)

My dad religiously takes his everywhere. While in port one time he forgot to take it out of his pocket and when we went thru metal detectors  coming back they confiscated it.

He was able to pick it up after trip from the naughty table .. LOL!!

Normally he packs it in checked in suitcase and always carries it around while on ship. But I would not take it off ship into port. He sports the Midnite Mini Champ.

Edited by alexgtp

My DH brings the tiny swiss army knife on most cruises.  He packs it in his checked bag.  He does not take it off in ports because he has had it confiscated in the past.  Not sure what you are planning on doing in Alaska that you need it but if it is a fishing excursion, they will have what you need.

I think there are two considerations:

1) RCCL policies, which will control when they do the security scanning.  As @alexgtp reported above, if noticed, these will likely be confiscated with the ability to pick them up after the cruise;

2) Specific port policies, which will usually control when the local port authority does the security scanning.  Here, the policies are in most cases likely to be a bit more lax BUT where they are not you are likely to permanently lose the object.  

For #2, I don't think anyone could give you definitive advice covering every potential port.

I've taken a generic "Swiss Army" knife on many cruises.  It's usually in my carry-on bag and I've only been questioned once during the security scan at embarkation.  I don't remember if it was Cape Liberty or Southampton, but I've carried the same knife through security multiple times without issue at both of those ports..

A readily available steak knife can do much more damage than my knife.

We did in the southern Caribbean in our checked luggage as we had a post trip planned where we were using it.  We didn't bother using it in the ports as we knew they would take it.  We have had multiple issues with my husbands weight vest on last several for free diving to the point he just takes it out of bag and patiently explains, again, daily, to the same security guard, what it is.  And this is a weight belt.  But my first aid kit with scissors always gets by.  So no, I wouldn't bother.

True story. Went through port scanners with a backpack.
Security: Did you pack this yourself?
My wife: Yes?
Security: You have a knife?
Wife: Sorry, what? No?
Bag run through scanner second time.
Security Empties entire bag
Finds no knife
Supervisor comes over, looks through stuff.
Supervisor "there's no knife"
Security: "It was on the scanner"
Runs empty bag through
Security "See there it is"
Supervisor turns bag inside out and nothing falls out.
Supervisor "what the heck is going on here? Machine broken?"

Turns out the camping knife we used hiking the grand canyon over a year prior had fallen into the lining of the backpack and we had no idea it was there.

So yes, they'll likely find it.
All they did was confiscate and say "pick it up after your cruise is over"

• Haha 1

Leatherman has been confiscated every time when in checked luggage, they never touch it or ask when I put it in the carry on.

I am in a wheelchair, and it really comes in handy tightening up loose screws/bolts.

41 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

Leatherman has been confiscated every time when in checked luggage, they never touch it or ask when I put it in the carry on.

I am in a wheelchair, and it really comes in handy tightening up loose screws/bolts.

We always bring one of these to fix those types of issues:

IMG_0378.png

Sigh, well I guess I may take a small Leatherman-like multi tool like below, but leave it in the cabin if it makes it that far!  I figured getting something back onto the ship after a shore visit would be unlikely.  I appreciate the input!

Capture.JPG

I bought a knife in Sitka and brought it back on board.  security said that as long as the blade was shorter than the width of my hand it was fine.  This was on Ovation in 2022.  

6 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Disclaimer: Yes, I read and understand what RCI publishes as prohibited items:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

I have read that some have been successful in packing small knives or multitools in their checked bags without issue.  What I am more interested in is what happens when I try to carry a small Swiss Army Knife (SAK) or better yet a Micro Leatherman off and back onto the ship when at a port o' call.  What's been the experience with folks in this regard, especially with those who've cruised Alaska with RCI?

Thanks.

Your knife won't be on you when you disembark at a port of call as it will (should) have been confiscated at embarkation for you to get back when you return. So this question is moot.

My first Royal cruise, I was unaware of what was allowed or not, I had a similar item in my backpack. It was confiscated by security, told I could retrieve it at the end of the cruise. I did not bother as I did not buy the pocket knife, rather found it in a street. As I boarded, an alarm went off which I am convinced was due to having that item minutes earlier.

I had a teeny tiny knife taken away in Galveston last time I went out of texas. I had it in the bottom of my purse and forgotten  all about it. Dug it out and handed it over. 

My brother in law apparently belongs to the NRA and was sent a free knife he gave me. He says he has more, dont worry but i didnt go after the cruise to retrieve it. Maybe 2 to 3 inches long at the most, very very small knife. Blade cant be 2 inches. Tiny knife. Showed up on x ray machine. My bad. This was no where the size of a swiss army knife.

1 hour ago, cruisinfly said:

I have taken a scuba diving knife on-and-off the ship. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't, but it has not yet been confiscated.

Normally these are held by security and returned to you when you need them, and then turned back in when you get back.

Mine may well end up being sacrificial as I don't intend to spend the extra time at disembarkation to retrieve it if it is confiscated by RCI.  It's a roll of the dice I guess.

Thanks for the discussion.

16 hours ago, cruisinfly said:

I have taken a scuba diving knife on-and-off the ship. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't, but it has not yet been confiscated.

Ours was not confiscated on embarkation, just after a dive. They held it for us and we could get it before other dives. It was annoying, but I understand why they don't want that onboard.

Posted (edited)

My DH had a pocket knife in his pocket and pulled it out to go through security in Baltimore.  They told him he couldn't have it.  As it was a gift from one of our sons he took it back out to the car while I waited for him to return.  One benefit of almost always having our car with us.  We take the Auto Train to FL and drive to Baltimore.  The only time we don't is if we go out of NJ.  I also carry in my checked luggage a small pair of baby fingernail scissors with blunt ends (used on both our sons as babies) and can be used for a variety of things.  They can open the edge of a sealed package so it can be torn, cut loose threads, etc.  

Edited by BND