Captain Kate -- Collaboration with Dune Jewelry

hrhdhd

Posted (edited)

An innocent post that riled up folks...she isn’t on Duty 24/7 365 days a year..

I suppose her popularity bothers some.  

Me, I prefer Tasos and his dry wit. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

An innocent post that riled up folks...she isn’t on Duty 24/7 365 days a year..

Exactly a lot of people do other things other than their main job. 

2 hours ago, pilot said:

I was curious how long it would take for someone to make this about sex. That seems to be a go to when you don’t agree with someone. 

Well perhaps if the men were criticized for doing things outside of being a captain like she is, sex wouldn't be brought up. However as the males aren't, it does make it seem its about gender.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 6/20/2024 at 11:55 AM, hrhdhd said:

I got an e-mail from Dune Jewelry about a new collaboration with Captain Kate that dropped today. I have several pieces of their jewelry from my travels, and I like many of her pieces. Just posting for those who'd be interested; there's no need to tell me that you're not a shopper. 😎

https://dunejewelry.com/captain-kate

Very nice. Thank you for posting.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Captain Kate is a representative of Celebrity and their defacto spokesperson, but IMO, she's entitled to earn royalties and other income from other sources. 

Sports stars endorse products all the time, even though they are well paid by the team they represent.  Earn it if someone's willing to pay you for it.  I suspect she has an agent now, helping her get endorsement deals.  

I may not care for hawking products on social media and I personally find it a turn-off, I dont think my feelings should proclude the Captain from earning income this way.

If she were hawking binoculars in a video from the bridge of Celebrity Beyond, I think that would be crossing a line, but she's not doing that.  Besides, she's on vacation...

PS: I wish someone would pay me for endorsing stuff. Anyone???  

• Like 2

I cruise on Celebrity for the excellent service and interesting destinations.  

How about we talk about how Captain Kate avoided that storm that one time or how the pastry chef in the MDR made that excellent dessert?

I don’t need the Captain or the Cruise Director or anyone else to be celebrities.  I don’t need them to tell me what to buy.  If I go on board and all the employees are selling things, that is a huge turnoff for me.  

3 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

And despite all the naysayers the line will likely sell out online before it makes it onto the ships.  The Captain’s collaboration appears to be and may be completely independent of Celebrity Cruises.  On Dune’s website there is only a very brief “About Captain Kate” paragraph with zero mention of Celebrity.

It’s completely separate, is it?  I guess that’s why they call her “Captain Kate”???

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I cruise on Celebrity for the excellent service and interesting destinations.  

How about we talk about how Captain Kate avoided that storm that one time or how the pastry chef in the MDR made that excellent dessert?

I don’t need the Captain or the Cruise Director or anyone else to be celebrities.  I don’t need them to tell me what to buy.  If I go on board and all the employees are selling things, that is a huge turnoff for me.  

that's one of the reasons  we stopped cruising  on Royal C. 

On Oasis, .everywhere we went we were  given a  heavy duty sales pitch. cookbooks, salad cruets, wine glasses, and so much more

At a fancy family b day party in a Specialty venue for my husband,  .the waiter actually  held up  the cake with candles ready to be lit,  to pitch some type of wine aerator..Really crude and low class

Guess he wondered why he did not get an extra tip!

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

Exactly a lot of people do other things other than their main job. 

Well perhaps if the men were criticized for doing things outside of being a captain like she is, sex wouldn't be brought up. However as the males aren't, it does make it seem its about gender.

Honestly if this hadn’t been posted I wouldn’t even know about any captain having a side hustle. So the question is, why weren’t we informed about the men prior to this thread? Seems sexist to me.

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Honestly if this hadn’t been posted I wouldn’t even know about any captain having a side hustle. So the question is, why weren’t we informed about the men prior to this thread? Seems sexist to me.

Or it just didn't interest them.

I'm more likely to buy a necklace than a watch, I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years - I have a phone for that.

If she wants to sell jewelry on her own time off the ship, that is fine.  I don't care for her advertising over the public address system in her role of being a captain.    To me, it does not enhance the image of a captain at all in my opinion. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, keesar said:

If she wants to sell jewelry on her own time off the ship, that is fine.  I don't care for her advertising over the public address system in her role of being a captain.    To me, it does not enhance the image of a captain at all in my opinion. 

What does she advertise on the address system?

Edited by Oville

26 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Or it just didn't interest them.

I'm more likely to buy a necklace than a watch, I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years - I have a phone for that.

I don’t wear either and don’t attend those shopping events on board either. I’m done with the snake oil sales pitch no matter who’s mouth it comes out of.

18 minutes ago, keesar said:

What about when the male captains do it? Don’t they all do the same? Does the senior officer soirée enhance their image? Their primary role is clearly the safe operation of the ship, but that’s hardly their only role. 

I agree it would be tacky to pitch her own product on her ship. But I see nothing in this thread that suggests she has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Yes, Captain Kate is a representative of Celebrity and their defacto spokesperson, but IMO, she's entitled to earn royalties and other income from other sources. 

IMO, only Bug Naked should be allowed to moonlight!

20220409_124231%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kr00t0n said:

I think it's hilarious that forum members try to gatekeep what constitutes being a captain 😄

Yea imagine other people having an opinion that doesn’t match mine.  How dare they!

Those of us complaining have done nothing to stop you from buying.

You have a side hustle?  You want to sing in the theater?  You want to make jewelry?  Good for you. Just keep it off the PA system.  I’m not interested.

For the record I’m not interested in the MEN selling things either.  

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yea imagine other people having an opinion that doesn’t match mine.  How dare they!

You have a side hustle?  You want to sing in the theater?  You want to make jewelry?  Good for you. Just keep it off the PA system.  I’m not interested.

Honestly, I’ve never heard a Captain on Celebrity trying to sell anything, ok, maybe the crew vs passengers volleyball game, or is that usually the CD? ..they only make one short announcement a day..I’m thankful for that.

Y’All do not want me singing the theater, I do know that 🙂

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is NOT on the PA system. She's on her vacation right now.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

IMO, only Bug Naked should be allowed to moonlight!

20220409_124231%5B1%5D.jpg

Now this one could convince to open my wallet for just about anything.

Just look into those piercing blue eyes.

Meow.😻😻😻

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This is NOT on the PA system. She's on her vacation right now.

And it should stay that way.

This sounds like a couple of siblings fighting.

”Please don’t punch me in the face.”

”But I’m not punching you in the face” as they begin to punch the back of your head.

”Well I wasn’t lying was I?”

You want to buy this “stuff”.  Well go right ahead.  Leave me out of it.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

What about when the male captains do it? Don’t they all do the same? Does the senior officer soirée enhance their image? Their primary role is clearly the safe operation of the ship, but that’s hardly their only role. 

I agree it would be tacky to pitch her own product on her ship. But I see nothing in this thread that suggests she has. 

We have never heard Kate hawk anything when she was the  Captain on board our sailings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We have never heard Kate hawk anything when she was the  Captain on board our sailings.

While they don’t use the word “Celebrity” they repeatedly refer to her not as Kate but as “Captain Kate”.  They are using her status as a ship captain to sell and market their products.  Why don’t they just say “made by Kate Lastname”?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

While they don’t use the word “Celebrity” they repeatedly refer to her not as Kate but as “Captain Kate”.  They are using her status as a ship captain to sell and market their products.  Why don’t they just say “made by Kate Lastname”?

She is a Captain, you are making a big deal out of probably nothing.

• Like 7