Dining room dress code

DB2VA

-We have been on many cruises and my husband likes to wear dress shorts and a polo type shirt to dinner on the non dressy nights. Am disappointed that this is not allowed, but wearing jeans are.  Does Celebrity enforce the rule?

1 minute ago, DB2VA said:

-We have been on many cruises and my husband likes to wear dress shorts and a polo type shirt to dinner on the non dressy nights. Am disappointed that this is not allowed, but wearing jeans are.  Does Celebrity enforce the rule?

we ve seen it enforced.  Others have noticed people disobeying the rules and allowed in MDR.  Why not just comply?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Generally, the rule is enforced. I have frequently seen men turned away. Some sneak in, to be sure, but the best majority are politely asked to go back to their room to change. They are more lenient on the first night, considering that some people might not have luggage, but after that, your husband should plan on wearing long trousers 

• Like 6

Just now, 1Virgo said:

we ve seen it enforced.  Others have noticed people disobeying the rules and allowed in MDR.  Why not just comply?

Amen! If you want to be able to wear shorts at dinner, go on whatever line you have been on that allows them. If you choose to cruise on a line that doesn't, suck it up and follow the rules.

• Like 26

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

YES...enforced!

Bring him  khakis or dockers.. and you will be set!  Long pants are the rule on X..except the buffet

I think fine alternatives that travel well are "golf pants".  More breathable fabric, wrinkle free, some degree of stretch, and generally available for reasonable prices.  They also work well OFF the ship when out in ports - either as sun protection or for hikes or general sightseeing.

It's been a LONG time since I've bought or worn traditional khakis or Dockers type pants.  

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Like 1

DH is a shorts guy (never really cold) so for our upcoming Alaskan cruise I’m packing him designer jeans with polos for regular nights in the MDR and black dress pants with a dress shirt (plus two different ties) for chic night.  One pair of dress shoes that are brown but what black highlights (hard to explain) to work with both.  He won’t love the long pant scenario but he’ll wear whatever is provided 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I think fine alternatives that travel well are "golf pants".  More breathable fabric, wrinkle free, some degree of stretch, and generally available for reasonable prices.  They also work well OFF the ship when out in ports - either as sun protection or for hikes or general sightseeing.

It's been a LONG time since I've bought or worn traditional khakis or Dockers type pants.  

This…game changer, IMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

my husb wore  them for work.. golf pants are a good idea..light to pack..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Yes the first night is casual.

My experience has been different.  I have  seen men in shorts turned away on the 1st night. Most recent time the man was furious with his wife who told him shirts were allowed at dinner so he did not bring long pants. 
He was turned away, guess they went to the buffet and shopped for a pair of pants on a port day. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jelayne said:

My experience has been different.  I have  seen men in shorts turned away on the 1st night. Most recent time the man was furious with his wife who told him shirts were allowed at dinner so he did not bring long pants. 
He was turned away, guess they went to the buffet and shopped for a pair of pants on a port day. 

Wow I have never seen that on first night in the dining rooms! In Luminea yes they will be turned away. 

2 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Same here. I don't pack jeans, Khakis or Dockers. I pack Prana brand  which are made of a technical fabric which has sun protection, good for hikes and sightseeing. They have jean style and chino style but I wear the five pocket Brion pants, have for years and they look good and are accepted. A bonus is they don't wrinkle. I wear long in the evening and shorts during the day. They are very comfortable. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, gcornell said:

My favorite part of every one of these threads… “but they are designer jeans”.  Have you seen the $20k jeans that Blake Lively wears?  😂  

Too funny…my aunt just said “designer jeans could be no knees.”  DHs designer jeans are old school mid-50s appropriate. 😆