Storm may keep us from going on our cruise

Weather forecasts down here in South Florida are predicting possible storms and rough seas hitting the Bahamas and South Florida this Sunday and Monday- not sure what we’re going to do yet…guess we’ll have to wait until Sunday to decide if we’ll want to board The Reflection that’s embarking on Monday. Don’t mind the rain squalls but rough seas are a problem for us…will be very disappointed if we can’t go- hoping for the forecast to change 🤞🏻

We are booked on the same sailing. It would be a big disappointment if we can't go, been booked since November for a birthday celebration. 
Does anyone know how to follow RCCL/Celebrity weather team for the latest updates on their part?

Posted (edited)

Typically the cruise lines try to avoid cruise cancelations unless there is no better option.  They more likely will change the itinerary and ports of call if necessary to avoid the storms if possible.  

If you decide to cancel due to weather concerns last but the ship still sails, unless you have insurance that would cover that decision, you risk losing a significant portion, if not all, of your cruise fare paid.  If you are unable to reach the departure port due to weather, you would still need the correct insurance coverage to preserve your paid fare through a claim.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

We are booked on the same sailing. It would be a big disappointment if we can't go, been booked since November for a birthday celebration. 
Does anyone know how to follow RCCL/Celebrity weather team for the latest updates on their part?

Typically when weather poses significant threats to cruise itineraries, there is information regarding affected sailings posted on their website.  In the past this has been as a banner or announcement near the top of the main page.  If there are changes made to your specific itinerary you (and/or your travel agent if you booked through one), will receive an email notifying you of the specific changes as they are made.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

There are storms everyday this time of year in Florida. Even our retention pond is rough with the wind blowing. The only thing I would worry about is a flight delay if you are flying in the same day. The airlines have been a mess on a good day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruzemaven said:

Weather forecasts down here in South Florida are predicting possible storms and rough seas hitting the Bahamas and South Florida this Sunday and Monday Don’t mind the rain squalls but rough seas are a problem for us…🤞🏻

Buy some Bonine and hit the road.  😃

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Texed said:

and get seabands too!

Sturdy ship, weather may go west... and ship can seek calmer seas! 

get to Fl as soon as u can pre cruise..avoid travel delays!

2 hours ago, cruzemaven said:

Don’t mind the rain squalls but rough seas are a problem for us…will be very disappointed if we can’t go- hoping for the forecast to change 🤞🏻

It sounds like you are driving to the ship vs flying in. 

My recommendation is that you go ahead and proceed to the port as planned and board this ship. If weather conditions are that severe Port Authority will close the port and ships will not be permitted to sail in or out so you could end up spending your first night of the cruise tied up at the pier.  The safetry and comfort of passengers is the number one concern that a ship's captain has. 

• Like 4

It appears that the Reflection returns to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow, August 2 and is scheduled for a 3-night sailing to Nassau before this one.  Will be keeping an eye on any news from Celebrity about that one.

1 hour ago, Texed said:

26 minutes ago, hcat said:

and get seabands too!

I would just drink a lot of Dark and Stormy 🥃

you know for the ginger 😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

There are storms everyday this time of year in Florida. Even our retention pond is rough with the wind blowing. The only thing I would worry about is a flight delay if you are flying in the same day. The airlines have been a mess on a good day.

You can expect weather problems if you choose to cruise from Florida during hurricane season. Buy cancellation for any reason insurance to insure you from the risk of weather.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I would just drink a lot of Dark and Stormy 🥃

you know for the ginger 😉😁

Trust in the Captain..

image.thumb.png.89f36abba41657ec8bd2a34cc23786e8.png

• Haha 12

39 minutes ago, Orator said:

You can expect weather problems if you choose to cruise from Florida during hurricane season. Buy cancellation for any reason insurance to insure you from the risk of weather.

When I lived in NY we couldn't get cancel for any reason insurance. I recently found out by accident that you can't even purchase insurance from the cruise line if you are a NY resident. I found this out when booking a Princess cruise. I tried to add the Platinum insurance to my booking and it wouldn't accept it. When I called it turned out that it was because Princess still had me tagged as a New York resident even thought I updated my profile to a Florida address.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

If weather conditions are that severe Port Authority will close the port and ships will not be permitted to sail in or out so you could end up spending your first night of the cruise tied up at the pier.

This would be one way to get at least one night of calm seas.🤪

I love a refreshing Dark ‘n Stormy (and not just for the ginger.)😉

• Like 1

I would be more concerned with bad weather if one were flying.

As for the ship, we departed around this time of year during hurricane season.  There was a major hurricane and our itinerary was  changed.    Our Western became an Eastern cruise.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions- we’ll keep watching the weather updates as we get closer to departure. We live nearby Port Everglades so not a problem with flights. If the storm turns or doesn’t form at all- that would be great!

I've sailed during a major hurricane (not at the port yet but hitting some islands hard).  They changed the itinerary and it worked out fine.

Remember that midship cabins and cabins on lower decks tend to have less motion.

1 hour ago, cruzemaven said:

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions- we’ll keep watching the weather updates as we get closer to departure. We live nearby Port Everglades so not a problem with flights. If the storm turns or doesn’t form at all- that would be great!

Hope it all works out well for you. 👍🍀🚢