Tuxedo Rental

Posted (edited)

We will be cruising on a New Year's Eve sailing and hubby has rented a tuxedo through RCI on past cruises which was delivered to our room on embarkation day.

Can't seem to find the link for the rental anymore on RCI website. Does anyone know where to find this?

Edited by QTBabyNurse
Addition

It's funny how many things have slipped away. I hadn't realized that they no longer had tuxedo rentals (we have our own), but I tried to remember the last time I saw anything about it pre-sailing or in the cruise compass, and it's been some time. No more fresh flowers on board either. We've only been cruising for 15 years, and I have nostalgia nonetheless!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It kind of drifted away when formal nights became an unenforced suggestion.

Yea I had a man at my table show up in nice shorts for dress up night. I laughed and he said it wasnt lobster night so not a real dress up night. Hahahaha. 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2024 at 11:46 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

I haven't seen tux rentals in 5 or 6 yrs.  My DH got one from Jos. A Banks at decent price.  Check them out or maybe Mens Warehouse or Macy's.

Or thrift store.  There just might be a great one, bought for The Wedding, worn once.

DH still wears his for all cruises.  Cruise evenings are still special.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 7:50 AM, QTBabyNurse said:

We will be cruising on a New Year's Eve sailing and hubby has rented a tuxedo through RCI on past cruises which was delivered to our room on embarkation day.

Can't seem to find the link for the rental anymore on RCI website. Does anyone know where to find this?

Yes, I have used this service many times but no more. 

Hubby has worn one on RCI many times and renting one with the convenience of it already being in the cabin and not having to bring one along with our luggage was really nice. Plus, since this cruise is a NYE cruise, we are wanting to be a little more dressed up for the celebration! 🎉

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 10:50 AM, QTBabyNurse said:

This was Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas

image.thumb.png.3bed5cc811fdb28b1bbcdab4c94909c5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately it appears that for many dressing up is a thing of the past.  We still do and enjoy it.  My DH owns his own dress clothes, and when necessary updates them.

You can bring a rented tuxedo with you if you don't own one.  My DH  used to order me a corsage also, as our anniversary and birthday's coincide with some of our cruises.

Don't let it stop you from dressing up.  Many people still do- 

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 3

On 8/4/2024 at 10:50 AM, QTBabyNurse said:

You can buy a tuxedo on Amazon for almost the same as it used to cost to rent one. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, George C said:

It’s rare just to see a tux on a rccl cruise. I had brought one for decades but stopped about 8 years ago .

It might be different on New Years Eve. I stopped wearing one on cruises about the same time but it still fits. I almost wore it to the symphony evening gala performence but since I was not going to the dinner at the Four Seasons afterwards I decided against it. If I go to the gala this season I might wear it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Isn't this one of the "stock photos" that pops us when someone wants to prove that no one ever wears a tuxedo anymore?

19 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Isn't this one of the "stock photos" that pops us when someone wants to prove that no one ever wears a tuxedo anymore?

He's posted it just a little less than a thousand times.  Every time there is a formal night dress discussion you can be sure he comes along with the same old photo, as if it proves something.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2024 at 1:10 PM, shipgeeks said:

Exactly.  Capturing one moment, which may or may not have been formal night, proves nothing; and this picture has "made the rounds".   

The reality is that MOST men come to dinner in nice jeans or dress pants + a button-down shirt, Hawaiian shirt, or polos shirt -- a bit nicer for formal night.  

• Like 2

On 8/5/2024 at 10:01 PM, BirdTravels said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I find it incredibly creepy and weird to post pictures of complete strangers just minding their own business in hopes of shaming them for doing nothing wrong. 

• Like 1

We still wear ours and enjoy it. Most cruises we have late seating tradition dining at a large table, and typically those around the table have made an effort to dress up, at least, and if not exactly formal, usually in the spirit. We hit the jackpot a number of cruises ago with a dinner table of eight, and on both formal nights, all the men wore tuxes or dinner jackets, and all the women wore formal gowns. I'm not sure I ever expect to have that happen again, but it was delightful. We took a group picture for the occasion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We still wear ours and enjoy it. Most cruises we have late seating tradition dining at a large table, and typically those around the table have made an effort to dress up, at least, and if not exactly formal, usually in the spirit. We hit the jackpot a number of cruises ago with a dinner table of eight, and on both formal nights, all the men wore tuxes or dinner jackets, and all the women wore formal gowns. I'm not sure I ever expect to have that happen again, but it was delightful. We took a group picture for the occasion.

I love this!! I was a travel agent back when The Love Boat was popular on tv and it was common place to dress up for dinner on a cruise and thankfully for some of us that has not gone out of style! Especially since our cruise will be a New Year's Eve cruise, it will be fun to celebrate the night in style! 

• Like 2