Getting back on the ship after a port- license passport?

Wed don’t  have passports, but we’re thinking about getting them. My question is  for an excursion we normally take our drivers 

license. However,  I do not plan on taking drivers license so we have to drag the passports them with us when we were in port? Or do you also take a drivers license and just use that instead of lugging your passport? I even think last time we sailed we could use a picture of our license on our phone when coming back

to the ship. Can we do the same with a passport

14 minutes ago, fozzy1975 said:

Wed don’t  have passports, but we’re thinking about getting them. My question is  for an excursion we normally take our drivers 

license. However,  I do not plan on taking drivers license so we have to drag the passports them with us when we were in port? Or do you also take a drivers license and just use that instead of lugging your passport? I even think last time we sailed we could use a picture of our license on our phone when coming back

to the ship. Can we do the same with a passport

It would need to be the actual drivers license or passport, no photos.  I always take my drivers license into port.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

Some excursions require a DL.

If you don't have a passport, I'd get one. 

Most ports you can use sign and sail to get back on.

All ports require photo ID to re-enter the port area, some check and some don't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ports require both a government ID and sail and sign card to re-enter the port area and whether they check or not depends on when you return to the ship. If you are coming back close to sail away along with a huge number of passengers then it's probable that they will just wave you through. We've always left our passports in the safe when going ashore, but a limited number of excursions do require them (i.e. going to a neighboring island or taking the train from Alaska into Canada).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to consider is, god forbid, something happens and you miss the ship.  I realize this is a problem with a less than 5 percent chance of occurrence however a passport will go a long way towards helping get back to US.

• Thanks 1

Once in Key West where government id was required as well as the ship card, I somehow physically lost my driver's license. They did allow me to return to the ship.

Later, after I went through the time and expense to replace my driver's license, someone must have found it and mailed it back to me.

• Like 3

We have never taken our passports off the ship.  They go into the safe and stay there. Fozzy1975- a passport is an investment.  May seem like a lot of $$ to spend now ($165 I think) but is good for 10 years.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Another thing to consider is, god forbid, something happens and you miss the ship.  I realize this is a problem with a less than 5 percent chance of occurrence however a passport will go a long way towards helping get back to US.

More like a .0001 percent. And if the ship leaves without you, they go to your room, get your passport, and leave it with the authorities onshore. 

The chances of you losing your passport while you are in port are far, far greater than you being left behind without it. 

• Like 5

I always take my DL and 1 credit card with me when I go ashore.  As stated above, some port security ask to see a government photo ID, some do not.  Additionally,  I take pictures of my passport, DL and a few debit/ credit cards so at least I have the information should they get lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pe4all said:

We have never taken our passports off the ship.  They go into the safe and stay there. Fozzy1975- a passport is an investment.  May seem like a lot of $$ to spend now ($165 I think) but is good for 10 years.  

We also leave them in the safe. Although twice I we took them with us. The first time was in St. Petersburg, Russia where they were required. The second time was in Alaska where we were taking an excursion on a train that went into Canada, another time when they were required.

13 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Your choice of course. Get a passport AND the accompanying passport card. It avoids ANY drama.  

I was going to say this. I even have one for my son who is under 12 and doesn't technically require picture ID to get back on the ship, but it was like an extra $30 when getting his passport and now I feel better about leaving his passport in the safe too - though I know you can't fly home on passport cards.

5 hours ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

They will go in your room to get your passport and leave it with the port contact/authority. The name/number for the port contact is always in the Fun Times for every port. I take a picture of it for each stop. Though if I lost my phone or something, I'd hope someone at the port could point me in the right direction.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It depends on the port and the ship's itinerary.  Some ports will require a passport to get off the ship.  Currently on a B2B on the Legend sailings out of Dover.  We had to have our passports with us last week in one port.  This cruise the ship is holding everyone's passports. They said they will be returned after we visit Belfast. 

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers

13 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

"'Un-Sophisticated Traveler,"  It's in the dictionary, I swear, look it up. "Uses birth certificate instead of Passport." 

Even if it is, so what? The law allows it under limited circumstances and it is a valid choice. For most people the risk is low and they are willing to accept the risk.

• Like 5