Why was my cabin changed “due to operational guidelines”

RandS

Hi, I’m sailing on Sun Princess in Sept. I booked the cruise in March, selected a specific cabin, paid the balance in June. I’m traveling solo.
This week I received an email saying:

”Following operational guidelines we have changed the location of your stateroom”

The new stateroom is the same category but a much less desirable noisy location. I tried calling and spoke with two different agents neither of which could explain why my cabin was changed two weeks before sailing other than to tell me my original cabin has been reassigned to another guest and is no longer available. 

Does this happen often? What does “due to operational guidelines” mean? What can I do to get my cabin back?

Thanks in advance for your replies/advice.

• Like 1

It could be used for many different reasons.  Sometimes, it does happen and they use it for staff, visiting or once near us was Medical personnel, etc.  Do they have too many guests now in that section for safety, in regards to lifeboats? Someone may have booked 3-4 to a cabin, etc.  They do have that right, written into the contract that you signed.

However, it doesn’t make it right.  
Do you have a TA or CVP?  They may be able to help.  Do you see any other cabin open in the same category or one up, that you would like?  Or, is it sold out?

If I didn’t have a CVP or TA, I’d call in to the CVP line and ask for a supervisor for help.  See what is open first, even the next up category.  Sometimes they UG to a category higher.  Why they needed that cabin, you probably will never know.

CVP line: 1 (800) 901-1172

Act like you do have an agent, but forgot their extension, so a supervisor will pick up.  

Let us know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The bottom line is they can change your cabin because the cruise contract says they can. And Princess seems to do this more than any other line, but they all have that right.

• Like 1

Might be someone on a b2b that wanted to stay in the same cabin.  Inventory department would have made this decision.  Your TA would be able to maybe get some answers.  

Lots of possible reasons why they gave your preferred cabin to someone else.  Less desirable as in a downgrade? Upgrade?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RandS said:

10 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Might be someone on a b2b that wanted to stay in the same cabin.  Inventory department would have made this decision.  Your TA would be able to maybe get some answers.  

Lots of possible reasons why they gave your preferred cabin to someone else.  Less desirable as in a downgrade? Upgrade?

The new stateroom is the same category but a much less desirable noisy location.  Per OP.

Edited by PacnGoNow

When I booked online and then got "upgraded" from great location, I called and asked to speak to supervisor. My original cabin was gone--but they resolved satisfactorily, but that was 2 years ago. If you don't have a TA, I have found that the chat feature is better than calling. 

Posted (edited)

Which cabin had you booked, and which cabin did they move you to?

This information might give us more insight, and be helpful.

If you are a solo traveler, and they needed your cabin, especially for a party of 3 or 4, this could be a factor?

As you see, there could be reasons for the change.

Do you see any better cabins available...  or is it all booked up and showing no availability?

It sounds like you booked yourself, without a Travel Agent, or a Princess Vacation Planner.

You could request a PVP be assigned to you and contact you.

If, by chance, you happened to get a good one (some are not) they might be able to help

The 'CALL CENTER' is least likely to be helpful.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It looks like September 7th sailings are all but SOLD OUT...

This would probably increase the chances that Princess is really juggling cabins to handle RESERVE/GTY bookings, upgrade bids, etc...

If this is your cruise, it might be hard to be able to change cabins.

Edited by Wishing on a star

If it’s the Sep 7, 7 day only suites available and 14 day, sold out.

Sometimes, a CVP can see cabins that we can’t, that have not been released.

But, 2 weeks away, maybe not.

However, they are probably still doing guarantee cabins, upgrade cabins and may be some cancellations just before sailing.  Your best hope is a TA/CVP.

Very last resort, if no one can help…once OB, go to GS and ask if they can help.  Not a great way to start a vacation.  But, we don’t always have control. 

Good luck to you.

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

It looks like September 7th sailings are all but SOLD OUT...

This would probably increase the chances that Princess is really juggling cabins to handle RESERVE/GTY bookings, upgrade bids, etc...

If this is your cruise, it might be hard to be able to change cabins.

That’s so funny… we were typing at the same time.😆

52 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

The new stateroom is the same category but a much less desirable noisy location.  Per OP.

Desirable locations are really person likes or dislikes. We do not like midship cabins and always sail aft if we can. Not everyone feels that way. I will say that in 63 cruises with Princess we have never had our cabin chsnged

Posted (edited)

We had a similar situation with a Celebrity cruise, and an email to the President of the company got an immediate response and fix.   That was after numerous attempts through normal channels and it was a few days before sailing.  In that case, the cabin was needed for a potential Covid isolation section, so we did understand.

Edited by ljhershey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

While Princess does have rules in place that allow this, they should call you in advance and offer you some selections or at least some monetary compensation. 

All cruise lines can substitute cabins, and for that matter, ships, and none request nor need your permission. Some compensation might be possible, but certainly not guaranteed.

If multiple cabins are being juggled, the logistics quickly escalate.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

All cruise lines can substitute cabins, and for that matter, ships, and none request nor need your permission. Some compensation might be possible, but certainly not guaranteed.

If multiple cabins are being juggled, the logistics quickly escalate.

It is also possible that there might be maintenance issues. They might not want to put a paying passenger there but might use it for a guest entertainer 

Thanks for all the responses.

Some additional info: 

Original cabin was not a connecting cabin

It was not a cabin for 3/4

I booked through a PVP and they are no longer there

I just received another email with a new cabin. Same category, very similar ship location one deck up. This is acceptable.

Thanks again for your explanations and advice. I’ve been on over 70 cruises (different cruise line) and have not encountered this before.

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

I am glad this worked out for you.

Holland America is pulling some of this same stuff... yanking cabins that accommodate 3&4 from those booked.  It seems it's only those who booked directly with HAL, and shorter, sold out sailings.

26 minutes ago, RandS said:

Thanks for all the responses.

Some additional info: 

Original cabin was not a connecting cabin

It was not a cabin for 3/4

I booked through a PVP and they are no longer there

I just received another email with a new cabin. Same category, very similar ship location one deck up. This is acceptable.

Thanks again for your explanations and advice. I’ve been on over 70 cruises (different cruise line) and have not encountered this before.

Happy cruising everyone!

Who did you go through to resolve this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

It is also possible that there might be maintenance issues. They might not want to put a paying passenger there but might use it for a guest entertainer 

Yes, also possible.