The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 23rd, 2024

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  Its sunny and going back up into the lower 90's.  Yesterday we got up to 97.  I got DH to turn on the air again.  Of course by the end of the week, it looks like the high might be in the 70's.   We are hotter than Texas!  

I am going to finally make the quiche this morning, which was supposed to be last nights dinner. But I will make it after I walk the dog.  I am learning to sleep later and later each morning. Well 8 am.  Then feed cats, get DH his meds, try to watch some actual news on nbc before they get to the 3 hours of fluff, and then walk the dog.  Not necessarily in that order, but it all has to be done within an hour, and of course, come here to see my friends, which is what keeps me going.

Now if the cream has gone over to the "dark side" -meals will not be finished. 

I like butternut squash.  But since I found Delicata squash, and it is fantastic sliced and oven roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper, it has become a winter staple. (thank you @dfish for teaching me to roast  my veggies).

We took the cone of shame off of Quiffy yesterday, washed the cone, and let her out of the room for a bit.  Not sure if the other family members remembered her as they all ran over, sniffed her (in inappropriate areas) and then walked away and ignored her.  Attacks happened within 10 minutes, and we put her back in the bedroom.

@lindaler I am glad that you posted, but very sad that things are not going well for you and your family.  Hugs being sent your way.

from the yahoo news,  this also happened today in history

In 1980, reggae pioneer Bob Marley performed his final concert. It was just two days after he was told that his melanoma had metastasized, and eight months before he died. Still, he decided to go ahead with his show in Pittsburgh. [Yahoo News]

image.thumb.jpeg.88d2251160dbba558c53204ba215afd7.jpeg

• Like 22

Good morning from a wet and rainy central Texas.  The rain, heavy at times, started about 6:30 and should last until about 1pm.  When I turned off the sprinkler yesterday, I was afraid I'd jinxed us for getting rain.  It is 68F with a predicted high of 80F this afternoon.  That's quite a change from the last few days in the mid 90s.  The weather app says we have an 8mph wind from the north, but the flag across the street is just hanging straight down.  The main thing on the agenda is DH's appointment this afternoon for more PT.  He commented last night that the PT  seems to be beginning to work.  Since it's trash day, I may finally go through the pantry and refrigerator to see if anything needs tossing.

Since I was 6 at the time of the Checkers speech, I was aware of the election, but only learned about the speech much later.  The first "political" dogs I remember are LBJ's beagles, Him and Her, and stir he caused when he picked them up by their ears.  Sign language(s) are very important.  I love chicken pot pie, especially if it has both a bottom and a top crust.  I'll also celebrate Redhead Day that Sandi @StLouisCruisers found for us since my mother had beautiful auburn hair.  Families are also important, and I'll honor Family Day, too.

In many cases the quote is true, but there are times you can see love.

I like mac and cheese, but without the added squash.  If I want it, it make the box version, but not often since DH does not care for mac and cheese.  We'll pass on the drink, but would not turn down the wine if it was offered.

Another port of the day we have not visited.  I had to look up Armacao dos Buzios, Brazil, on Google maps.

There are three good days in history, but for this Texas, it's the day Buddy Holley and The Crickets reaching No. 1 on the charts with "That'll Be The Day".

@rafinmd Roy, I hope today is a better day for you.  After learning more about Palliative Care, I hope your medical team can come together and make you care better coordinated to help you regain your health.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'm glad you are on the home stretch in finishing Christopher's stocking.

@ottahand7 Nancy, I'm sorry your DB had a bad time yesterday.

@Cruzin Terri Terri, I'm glad you are more rested and are feeling better. I hope your friend, Jackie, can see a urologist soon.  And I hope your friend, Janet, and her DH are doing better soon.

@lindaler  Linda, thanks for checking in and letting us know you are okay.  I hope the family situation improves sooner than you expect.  Take care of yourself, too.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad you are feeling better today.

cunnorl  Charlene, I'm sorry your can't be on your golf team this fall, but enjoy the days you can golf.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I hope the plumber can get to you soon, and fix the problem.

430824053_428071073029405_2989515179618565434_n.jpg.5c4a238184fe685f6505ab3e55a66702.jpg

449382665_122157889520159528_3331871992596479523_n.jpg.54afeb63da87978f0e6d56cfabd2a523.jpg

459836820_484142774437625_7542488882375441776_n.jpg.6b9342b80ff0c7e77fabdbe4f073e6e7.jpg

460490439_122215847504010688_5019166099996987616_n.jpg.d5f8d586e11522724d5fcb1aa1a4647f.jpg

459839124_122162025866246203_2037742764010102298_n.jpg.1107bd2e3328a4eccb83fdcf3f6f74f1.jpg

460033451_122143358102283302_3457550157939385186_n.jpg.45b22109c74658697eafc98ce9a34840.jpg

For Dogs in Politics Day.

437937817_1024801349108642_9159238439949681259_n.jpg.3bdda01a0bf17b4dbed40d771255917e.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

I was less than a year old at the time of the Checkers speech, so I don't remember it. I do remember LBJ's picking up his dogs by the ears. One of my friends is an ASL interpreter who, in addition to the ordinary run of interpretation, interprets the lyrics of songs, including songs in Hebrew.

Butternut squash is in season, but I can't imagine it in macaroni and cheese. Actually, I can imagine it, but on the mind's tongue it tastes terrible. The drink sounds like something one would find in Iceland or the Faroe Islands, where rhubarb grows well and is the substitute for the many kinds of fruit that don't. Rhubarb drinks are popular throughout the Nordic countries and I remember buying a bottle of rhubarb soda from a street vendor in Copenhagen.

For the wine, let's have the 2017 Brut from Damiani Wine Cellars, $55, ready to drink now or to keep for another 10-15 years. "Our 2017 Brut is bliss in a bottle. Tiny bubbles deliver delectable aromas of juicy pear, fresh toasted baguette, and lemon blossom. A rich, lush mousse floods the palate with a prismatic array of flavors featuring ripe pear, toast, green apple, butterscotch, and lemon curd.  Graceful and daring and delicious; invite this Brut to all of your parties."

It's been hard to post on this site because the boards keep going down. I'll try to post this later. The board has stopped working.

Also, I have a class assignment to do outdoors and it's going to rain all day.

autocorrect funnel.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 12
  • Haha 15

57 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

It is not such a good morning for me. I have a sewer back up. It is in the downstairs bathroom which I never use. DGS wanted to play down there yesterday so I decided to clean the bathroom. The toilet wouldn’t flush and sewer water came up in the shower! This is a new house so I can’t imagine what is the problem. I did have a house sitter while I was gone last winter who used the bathroom. I flush the toilet at least every two weeks with no issue. I will call the plumber and get it fixed. 

Everyone else have a good day. Prayers for our dear Daily members who are in need. 

Perhaps it’s along the lines of what happened to a neighbor. They took off on one of their first long RV trips, some 10-12 weeks. The last thing one did was use the (downstairs*) bathroom. They came back to a non functional toilet and had to have the sewer line dug up (in the garage) to fix it. The solid material from that last flush only moved the material so far- and with lack of water periodically washing over it from daily life it dried out and created the blockage. There was no clean out near the plug. Several thousand dollars later and a deep hole and installation of a new cleanout, he said he had not realized how similar house plumbing is to RV plumbing- (except for the sloshing around the matter get in an RV holding tank.)

* I’m not so sure downstairs has as much to do with the creation of the problem as it does with being the first to get the back up.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good morning - three nice days, and a great quote to start off the work week. I can't imagine butternut squash in mac & cheese, and will leave that to others. The drink looks pretty, but I'll pass. The wine would be worth trying. Haven't been to Brazil, but hopefully some day.

Our cool morning yesterday was replaced by warmer temps and some fog. We're watching the potential/probably hurricane by the Gulf of Mexico. Hopefully it will move as quickly as they're saying now, as lingering would only make it stronger/worse. Being in Gainesville right now I don't worry about the hurricanes impacting us. I am glad it's not likely to affect my home in Ft Myers and of course feel badly for anyone near wherever it makes landfall 😞 Ft Myers still isn't 100% recovered after Ian a couple years ago.

Sincerely hope the many people here struggling with health, sewer, family issues, etc see some relief and a turn towards brighter days soon. 

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 17

Good morning all!

We woke up to rain (seems like many of us are getting rain right now).  We do need it, so no complaints.  Hopefully it dries up enough to mow one last time tomorrow before we leave Wed.

Right now I think I'd probably vote for any dog in politics 😉 I don't remember Checkers, but do remember when LBJ pulled his dogs up by their ears. 😞  We love pot pie here, and it's a favorite with left over chicken especially. Good quote, I'll pass on the meal (not a fan or mac 'n cheese or butternut squash), pass on the drink (rhubarb) and wine (I prefer just white wine over sparkling).  Have not been to this port.

It saddens me to see so many of our Dailyites going through hard times.  Prayers for all that it will get better for everyone.  @lindaler Thank you for checking in, we worry.  

Today will be spent packing the piles that are on the guest room bed and doing other odds and ends.  

• Like 15

Greetings from sunny St Petersburg.

Our 4 day cruise on Royal Caribbeans's Serenade OFS was enjoyable, even if it was short.  The best aspect was driving less than one hour to the port to embark and debark.  The Serenade used terminal 2, which was the Carnival terminal years ago. Holland America began using Tampa in 1983 and was the first major cruise line to do so.  Carnival also began not long after. Now Royal Caribbean has become the biggest Tampa line with 3 ships here this winter season.

The Serenade and the Oosterdam are the same vintage, 2003.  I was impressed with the interior decor as it is an eclectic mix of art deco and Caribbean compared with Carnival.  Serenade appeals more to young families with children, but lacks the big water slides and the high tech amenities of the bigger RCCL ships.  Our 4 day cruise was mostly adults from 30's to 60's.  While the weather allowed, and it was a very calm seas cruise, the bow area was open so it was possible to circle the ship on the promenade deck, although that required climbing stairs to the bow.

Maybe with the hull painted white, there was more visible rust showing than on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. Unlike aboard Holland, exterior maintenance workers seemed rare.

Room:  We had an Oceanview on deck 4 forward. The round window was quite distorted and could make you queasy if you sat and stared out of it.  The bed was almost as good as Holland.  There was a small sofa for two, desk area with shelves, small refrigerator, two closets which gave adequate storage.  The bathroom was smaller than on Holland with a tiny shower which had clamshell doors.  The AC was adequate, important for this very warm cruise.

Dining:  The MDR was a big letdown.  The first night's menu was like a Gala menu, but the food was not close.  The worst was escargot served cold! Servers didn't come back to check after serving.  When the server came back to pick up the dish, I asked if it was intentionally served cold and didn't get an answer.  A few minutes later I was brought another one which was also cold.  Not hot, not warm, but COLD!  The fish was chewy. We decided to try breakfast and lunch at the Windjammer, their buffet, the next day.  At least the food on the hot stations was better.  The Windjammer stations are on islands as opposed to next to the kitchen areas like on Holland.  This means nothing is cooked or made in front of you but has been made in advance and may have been there for a rather long time. 

Entertainment:  The atrium is impressive and was used for many events including an excellent pianist, a 3-piece string trio, among others.  The seating areas are on deck 4, 5 and 6 for the atrium and are limited for the more popular events.

The theater with balcony had comfortable seating forward.  There was a juggler, hypnotist and a comic. Only one night featured their band with singers with a combination of older and newer music.  I guess the newer and bigger RCCL ships get the better entertainment.  We expected the Serenade would beat the typical Holland entertainment hands down, but not on this ship.

The Schooner Lounge and the Safari Club along with Congo Bar were very attractive.  The Congo overlooks the aft wake.  There is no lounge where the Crow's Nest is on Holland.  The Viking Lounge, mid ship, has been walled in half which limits viewing.  It was empty most of this cruise as was the Concierge Club.

Diamond members (like our 4 and 5 star) are given 4 beverage tickets per day rather than the happy hour usually served there.  Probably a better perk as they can be used anytime and anywhere.

A big favorite of mine was open area seating tables at the rear off the Windjammer buffet. It does have a roof or cover over it.  There was enough protection from the wind while at sea, too.  We had morning coffee and breakfast there and loved it.  Only the Prinsendam in the Holland America fleet had this.  I complimented the staff member overseeing that area and he was so pleased! He checked on me every day and thanked me on our last day immensely.  

In conclusion, I would recommend the Serenade only for those who don't want to drive to a Florida East Coast port.  If I can book a cruise on it at a very good price, then I would return. If I have to pay Holland America prices, then we will cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 11

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thank you all for your prayers and comments. My family needs all we can get. We are still going through hell and see no light at the end of the tunnel. As I sit here watching the sun rise I realize there will be an end to this journey but we can not see it yet. It is painful to see the posts from the cruise I was to be on, but I believe it was much better to be here with the family right now. Thank you. 

Glad you checked in and I am sorry that you have had to miss the cruise. As we all know, these things happen and you just have to march forward. Hope things get better soon.

Susan

• Like 13

Good morning, Dailyites, I'm up early today.  Lots to do!  We have not always been in the States, but I do remember some of the US - can we call it history?  - about dogs!  Checkers, LBJ, etc.  I do like pot pies, what is a Great American one?  It is raining here too, I guess Fall has arrived...

I'm going to clean the bathroom, shower, and then go to the hospital.  I think I'll pop in to the cancer clinic and register our cars for the free parking, and then walk up and see Pat for an hour or so before my appointment with the oncologist, then, I'll have a bit of a wait, there may be time to walk across and see Pat again, or else I will sit and do sudokus (DD gave me a book for my birthday last month) and then I will have my CT scan and tattoos.  I guess they will also test me to make sure I can hold my breath for 20 seconds.   I think it will be an interesting experience!  I thought I wouldn't sleep last night as I had napped in the afternoon, but I slept like a log, just woke up a bit early.

I hope everyone has a good day,   I'm thinking of you all, my good friends!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well, shoot - the rain didn't last long; it stopped about an hour ago 🤞 it starts again.

I did get in one trip to the recycling bin and will attempt a couple more in hopes that nudges the 🌧 🌦 to return.

• Like 13

Good morning to all. Sunny and warmer today although our low last night dropped into the high 30's. Today will be be mid-70's and then warming the rest of the week. It looked like we had a shower or two overnight, but if we did I did not hear it.

I am going to have to put some real speed into my sorting as my handyman called me last night to tell me that he has scheduled the work on my back bedroom for the end of October. Taking up the very old carpet.... new flooring, painting, scrape the popcorn ceiling (it is not asbestos) and hopefully hauling some of the old furniture to the dump. And this is the room loaded with books and boxes, some of which my Sister sent me when Mom passed away and which I opened, sighed, and closed up again. I am going to have to do some serious tossing but I know there is stuff that just needs to go somewhere else - anywhere else. And I need stop trying to look at the books - just send them to the library. I have a hunch I am about to become stiff and sore.

@cruising sisterI hope my neighbors did not unleash a plumbing backup gremlin when the tree roots caused a backup in the two lower units behind me (and threatened my driveway with the repairs). Hope it is resolved quickly and with little effort.

Best wishes for good health to all and their families and friends. Getting older is really not what I expected although my Mother used to warn me. And you sure don't want to hear my Sister on the subject.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 14

I know that I am in the minority here but I really like butternut squash and use it in soups, stews etc . I agree with Annie that roasting it improves the flavor. The teenager loves the way I make Mac and cheese but would loudly protest the addition of this vegetable! I decided to make a vegetarian lasagna with the butternut squash that’s roasted and I think my “customers “ will be fine with it.

I was so glad to hear from Linda but sorry for the difficulties she and the family are facing. 
Sending good wishes for Pat and Ann as well as Annie and Chuck. Prayers and hugs as well.

We are holding our own here as my DB is fond of saying. He will return in a week or so to lend us a hand. 

Take care everyone 

• Like 15

42 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Greetings from sunny St Petersburg.

Our 4 day cruise on Royal Caribbeans's Serenade OFS was enjoyable, even if it was short.  The best aspect was driving less than one hour to the port to embark and debark.  The Serenade used terminal 2, which was the Carnival terminal years ago. Holland America began using Tampa in 1983 and was the first major cruise line to do so.  Carnival also began not long after. Now Royal Caribbean has become the biggest Tampa line with 3 ships here this winter season.

The Serenade and the Oosterdam are the same vintage, 2003.  I was impressed with the interior decor as it is an eclectic mix of art deco and Caribbean compared with Carnival.  Serenade appeals more to young families with children, but lacks the big water slides and the high tech amenities of the bigger RCCL ships.  Our 4 day cruise was mostly adults from 30's to 60's.  While the weather allowed, and it was a very calm seas cruise, the bow area was open so it was possible to circle the ship on the promenade deck, although that required climbing stairs to the bow.

Maybe with the hull painted white, there was more visible rust showing than on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. Unlike aboard Holland, exterior maintenance workers seemed rare.

Room:  We had an Oceanview on deck 4 forward. The round window was quite distorted and could make you queasy if you sat and stared out of it.  The bed was almost as good as Holland.  There was a small sofa for two, desk area with shelves, small refrigerator, two closets which gave adequate storage.  The bathroom was smaller than on Holland with a tiny shower which had clamshell doors.  The AC was adequate, important for this very warm cruise.

Dining:  The MDR was a big letdown.  The first night's menu was like a Gala menu, but the food was not close.  The worst was escargot served cold! Servers didn't come back to check after serving.  When the server came back to pick up the dish, I asked if it was intentionally served cold and didn't get an answer.  A few minutes later I was brought another one which was also cold.  Not hot, not warm, but COLD!  The fish was chewy. We decided to try breakfast and lunch at the Windjammer, their buffet, the next day.  At least the food on the hot stations was better.  The Windjammer stations are on islands as opposed to next to the kitchen areas like on Holland.  This means nothing is cooked or made in front of you but has been made in advance and may have been there for a rather long time. 

Entertainment:  The atrium is impressive and was used for many events including an excellent pianist, a 3-piece string trio, among others.  The seating areas are on deck 4, 5 and 6 for the atrium and are limited for the more popular events.

The theater with balcony had comfortable seating forward.  There was a juggler, hypnotist and a comic. Only one night featured their band with singers with a combination of older and newer music.  I guess the newer and bigger RCCL ships get the better entertainment.  We expected the Serenade would beat the typical Holland entertainment hands down, but not on this ship.

The Schooner Lounge and the Safari Club along with Congo Bar were very attractive.  The Congo overlooks the aft wake.  There is no lounge where the Crow's Nest is on Holland.  The Viking Lounge, mid ship, has been walled in half which limits viewing.  It was empty most of this cruise as was the Concierge Club.

Diamond members (like our 4 and 5 star) are given 4 beverage tickets per day rather than the happy hour usually served there.  Probably a better perk as they can be used anytime and anywhere.

A big favorite of mine was open area seating tables at the rear off the Windjammer buffet. It does have a roof or cover over it.  There was enough protection from the wind while at sea, too.  We had morning coffee and breakfast there and loved it.  Only the Prinsendam in the Holland America fleet had this.  I complimented the staff member overseeing that area and he was so pleased! He checked on me every day and thanked me on our last day immensely.  

In conclusion, I would recommend the Serenade only for those who don't want to drive to a Florida East Coast port.  If I can book a cruise on it at a very good price, then I would return. If I have to pay Holland America prices, then we will cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

FYI — dining on Royal has been hit or miss lately (though my many orders of escargot has never been servers cold).  I think you would find another trip very different depending on the dining room staff.  A word to the head waiter can help as well.  We like the way Royal does its free drinks rather than everyone trying to crowd into the lounge during happy hour.  As Pinnacles we each get 6 free drinks to be used throughout the day.  More than enough.

My suggestion — if you can get a good price on another Royal ship give it another try.  If the price is cheap enough maybe purchase a dining package for the specialty restaurants for a few nights.  Best price for a dining package is to purchase online.  Just my 2 cents!  You were on a Radiance class ship - my favorite.  

Katherine

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Up early as we were getting phone calls from service agencies who have rightfully no idea where we are.

Last night we enjoyed our homemade chicken larb salads and of course wine.

Looks like Florida is going to experience another potential hurricane. From what I have seen it may be close but just East of our home but could impede our flight home Saturday as it travels up through Georgia. 
We had a shower pass through West of us last night during sunset which tamed down the afterglow. Still was pretty and I’ll post a pic hoping it will brighten your day Roy. 
Lot’s of you are having some serious issues. Without being repetitive I hope all of you fair well during your illnesses and difficult times. As usual thanks to all who contribute. B.

image.thumb.jpeg.0868c44aa104c2cf8d85900a1bff5bb9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8e7ed901880930980dc30ded2cf0ca69.jpegimage.jpeg.c91f9b8c46f754d2ab5a0c9c72a5b1a5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34303bffde9f79017e1a22db10384f0d.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Good morning and Happy Monday. Craig is off to an eye appointment, he has to go every 4 months for his MD. It runs in his family and his niece has a severe form of it. 

I’ve decided to stop giving Blue the incontinence meds. He started having side effects that I didn’t like, most noticeable was restlessness. His leaking is much easier dealt with than the side effects. 

I like chicken pot pie a lot and make during the cooler months. It’s easy with Costco rotisserie chicken breast. I buy that, separate it into portions and freeze it making it easy to defrost and add it to the veggies and sauce. Like Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, I like a double crust too. 

I actually made today’s meal for a work potluck years ago and it went over well. The squash helps make it creamy.

Linda @lindaler, thank you for checking in with us and I’m so sorry that you had to cancel your cruise. Being with your family is most important. 

Roy @rafinmd, I hope that your palliative care is coordinated soon so you can return home. I’m sure that it will be very beneficial for you. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 12

After five hours it is still raining, but not as hard.  We've had at least three waves of heavy rain pass through this morning.  According to the digital rain gauge we've received 2.53 inches so far.  Looking at the old fashioned rain gauge from the safety of the dry porch, it looks like it's showing about 2.6 to 2.7 inches.  It looks like I won't have to turn on the sprinklers for a while.  I'm also guessing that I'll be mowing the entire yard Saturday after all this rain, but I'm not complaining.  We needed the rain as the native grasses were getting crunchy.

This morning I cleaned and rearrange the pantry.  Besides making it where I can find things, I did an inventory of what I'll be leaving here over the winter.  I did the same thing in Quartzsite last spring, so I won't be taking duplicates back and forth with us.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, I'm up early today.  Lots to do!  We have not always been in the States, but I do remember some of the US - can we call it history?  - about dogs!  Checkers, LBJ, etc.  I do like pot pies, what is a Great American one?  It is raining here too, I guess Fall has arrived...

I'm going to clean the bathroom, shower, and then go to the hospital.  I think I'll pop in to the cancer clinic and register our cars for the free parking, and then walk up and see Pat for an hour or so before my appointment with the oncologist, then, I'll have a bit of a wait, there may be time to walk across and see Pat again, or else I will sit and do sudokus (DD gave me a book for my birthday last month) and then I will have my CT scan and tattoos.  I guess they will also test me to make sure I can hold my breath for 20 seconds.   I think it will be an interesting experience!  I thought I wouldn't sleep last night as I had napped in the afternoon, but I slept like a log, just woke up a bit early.

I hope everyone has a good day,   I'm thinking of you all, my good friends!

Ann, I hope Pat is doing well this morning.  I also hope your appointment with the oncologist goes well.

55 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Well, shoot - the rain didn't last long; it stopped about an hour ago 🤞 it starts again.

I did get in one trip to the recycling bin and will attempt a couple more in hopes that nudges the 🌧 🌦 to return.

Elizabeth, usually we are the ones who either get very little rain or none at all.  Today is different and it should really soak into the ground.  At times it was raining so hard, water was puddling in the low spots.

43 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. Sunny and warmer today although our low last night dropped into the high 30's. Today will be be mid-70's and then warming the rest of the week. It looked like we had a shower or two overnight, but if we did I did not hear it.

I am going to have to put some real speed into my sorting as my handyman called me last night to tell me that he has scheduled the work on my back bedroom for the end of October. Taking up the very old carpet.... new flooring, painting, scrape the popcorn ceiling (it is not asbestos) and hopefully hauling some of the old furniture to the dump. And this is the room loaded with books and boxes, some of which my Sister sent me when Mom passed away and which I opened, sighed, and closed up again. I am going to have to do some serious tossing but I know there is stuff that just needs to go somewhere else - anywhere else. And I need stop trying to look at the books - just send them to the library. I have a hunch I am about to become stiff and sore.

@cruising sisterI hope my neighbors did not unleash a plumbing backup gremlin when the tree roots caused a backup and the two lower units behind me (and threatened my driveway with the repairs). Hope it is resolved quickly and with little effort.

Best wishes for good health to all and their families and friends. Getting older is really not what I expected although my Mother used to warn me. And you sure don't want to hear my Sister on the subject.

Susan

Susan, I know you'll be glad when all the sorting is complete and you have a whole new spare bedroom.

32 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I know that I am in the minority here but I really like butternut squash and use it in soups, stews etc . I agree with Annie that roasting it improves the flavor. The teenager loves the way I make Mac and cheese but would loudly protest the addition of this vegetable! I decided to make a vegetarian lasagna with the butternut squash that’s roasted and I think my “customers “ will be fine with it.

I was so glad to hear from Linda but sorry for the difficulties she and the family are facing. 
Sending good wishes for Pat and Ann as well as Annie and Chuck. Prayers and hugs as well.

We are holding our own here as my DB is fond of saying. He will return in a week or so to lend us a hand. 

Take care everyone 

Terry, holding your own sounds good.  I hope everything stays on an even keel for a while.  I have a recipe for vegetarian lasagna that adds carrots, zucchini and summer squash.  The entire family enjoys it, and then they can have the leftovers at lunch during their visits.

26 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Up early as we were getting phone calls from service agencies who have rightfully no idea where we are.

Last night we enjoyed our homemade chicken larb salads and of course wine.

Looks like Florida is going to experience another potential hurricane. From what I have seen it may be close but just East of our home but could impede our flight home Saturday as it travels up through Georgia. 
We had a shower pass through West of us last night during sunset which tamed down the afterglow. Still was pretty and I’ll post a pic hoping it will brighten your day Roy. 
Lot’s of you are having some serious issues. Without being repetitive I hope all of you fair well during your illnesses and difficult times. As usual thanks to all who contribute. B.

image.thumb.jpeg.0868c44aa104c2cf8d85900a1bff5bb9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8e7ed901880930980dc30ded2cf0ca69.jpegimage.jpeg.c91f9b8c46f754d2ab5a0c9c72a5b1a5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34303bffde9f79017e1a22db10384f0d.jpeg

Bruce, I'll miss your sunset pictures when you head back home.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!   Dogs in politics?  I read there was a rental🤷‍♀️🤔
@lindaler  sending lots of prayers for strength and comfort as you are on this journey! 

@cruising sister yikes!  That is not fun to have!  

@smitty34877 glad you are holding your own! 

@aliaschief sad that all good things must end!  Would love your larb recipe!  

DS had tragic news yesterday as his mentor was killed in a car accident after her twin’s funeral.  So  terribly sad. 

IMG_2175.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Roy just sent the latest email, and like him, I wish I had better news to share with everyone.

The worst night yet.  I was moved about 10 to the next lower level of intensity but is a double room and my roommate moved loudly all night so I got little if any sleep.  I show no improvement and am likely to go hospice soon.

I wish I had a better report.

Lenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 14

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!   Dogs in politics?  I read there was a rental🤷‍♀️🤔
@lindaler  sending lots of prayers for strength and comfort as you are on this journey! 

DS had tragic news yesterday as his mentor was killed in a car accident after her twin’s funeral.  So  terribly sad. 

IMG_2175.jpeg

Brenda, our condolences to your DS and to the family of his mentor.

Lenda

• Like 8

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. I had trouble getting on CC.

I remember Nixon's Checkers. Sign Language is important for those with hearing deficits. I like a good chicken pot pie occasionally. I like the quote, although you can see people doing things for you out of love. Maybe for the meal, pass on the drink and wine. I have not been to Armacao dos Buzios. 3 interesting days in history.

It's cloudy her, with a high of 75F. We had some rain this morning, and maybe more later and the next 2 days. We really need it. Nothing new with me. Leg is about the same. My stomach was unsettled this morning, and I'm just having my coffee now, with a banana. Yesterday the garbage disposal (which I rarely use) didn't work; fortunately using that tool freed the blades.  I'm still working on my sourdough today. I mixed the ingredients last night, but due to the temperature in the kitchen realized it would overproof unless I got up during the night. So I popped it in the fridge, and bulk fermentation is now occurring. Once done I'll shape the loaves and put them back in the fridge, baking them tomorrow. I haven't started any packing; I want to make sure I'm cleared to go first. I tried to bring up to BFF that I might not be allowed, and I don't think he'll go alone.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. Good going on the stocking.

@ottahand7 Sorry to hear that DB was in so much pain sitting up in the chair.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you got good rest and that your leg feels better. I'm sorry your friends are having such troubles. 

@lindaler Thanks for checking in. I'm sorry you couldn't make the cruise, but family comes first. Prayers for your family.

@ger_77 I'm glad you're feeling better.

@cruising sister I hope it's an easy fix for the bathroom.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad to hear that the PT is starting to help DH. 

@St Pete Cruiser Welcome home! Thanks for your review.

@Vict0riann Good luck with your appointment and CT scan/tattoos. I hope Pat hears good news about his valve replacement. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad you're holding your own and that DB will be back again. Prayers for you all.

@aliaschief Another beautiful sunset.

@bennybear Condolences to DS on the loss of his mentor. 

@rafinmd I'm sorry you had a bad night. I hope the prognosis will improve. Prayers.

@RedneckBob You're missed!

@kazu Thinking of you.

@HAL Sailer Continued prayers for you and DH.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, bennybear said:

IMG_2175.jpeg

Couldn’t download the recipe. Just Google Thai Chicken larb salad. Plenty of recipes. Great starter or meal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1