The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 23rd, 2024

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

And this is the room loaded with books and boxes, some of which my Sister sent me when Mom passed away and which I opened, sighed, and closed up again.

Susan, I totally understand this although it happened when my DM moved out of her townhome and into the retirement community. I probably have 5 huge boxes of photographs and one box of letters cluttering up our loft area. They need to be gone through but I hate to get rid of her things before she passes. Our DS suggested legacy box, which is a great idea but would still be a lot of work. I also have some of her furniture, two pieces are antiques (at least that’s what I was told) and some of them fit in but the Grandfather clock doesn’t. But again, I just can’t get rid of it while she’s alive. So for now it’s in the best spot we could figure out. 

I hope you are able to go through everything before your handyman starts working. I’ll be thinking of you. 

• Like 21

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, I'm up early today.  Lots to do!  We have not always been in the States, but I do remember some of the US - can we call it history?  - about dogs!  Checkers, LBJ, etc.  I do like pot pies, what is a Great American one?  It is raining here too, I guess Fall has arrived...

I'm going to clean the bathroom, shower, and then go to the hospital.  I think I'll pop in to the cancer clinic and register our cars for the free parking, and then walk up and see Pat for an hour or so before my appointment with the oncologist, then, I'll have a bit of a wait, there may be time to walk across and see Pat again, or else I will sit and do sudokus (DD gave me a book for my birthday last month) and then I will have my CT scan and tattoos.  I guess they will also test me to make sure I can hold my breath for 20 seconds.   I think it will be an interesting experience!  I thought I wouldn't sleep last night as I had napped in the afternoon, but I slept like a log, just woke up a bit early.

I hope everyone has a good day,   I'm thinking of you all, my good friends!

My thoughts and prayers with you and Pat as you navigate everything this week.  Glad to hear you were able to get a good night's rest last night.  

4 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Greetings from sunny St Petersburg.

Our 4 day cruise on Royal Caribbeans's Serenade OFS was enjoyable, even if it was short.  The best aspect was driving less than one hour to the port to embark and debark.  The Serenade used terminal 2, which was the Carnival terminal years ago. Holland America began using Tampa in 1983 and was the first major cruise line to do so.  Carnival also began not long after. Now Royal Caribbean has become the biggest Tampa line with 3 ships here this winter season.

The Serenade and the Oosterdam are the same vintage, 2003.  I was impressed with the interior decor as it is an eclectic mix of art deco and Caribbean compared with Carnival.  Serenade appeals more to young families with children, but lacks the big water slides and the high tech amenities of the bigger RCCL ships.  Our 4 day cruise was mostly adults from 30's to 60's.  While the weather allowed, and it was a very calm seas cruise, the bow area was open so it was possible to circle the ship on the promenade deck, although that required climbing stairs to the bow.

Maybe with the hull painted white, there was more visible rust showing than on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. Unlike aboard Holland, exterior maintenance workers seemed rare.

Room:  We had an Oceanview on deck 4 forward. The round window was quite distorted and could make you queasy if you sat and stared out of it.  The bed was almost as good as Holland.  There was a small sofa for two, desk area with shelves, small refrigerator, two closets which gave adequate storage.  The bathroom was smaller than on Holland with a tiny shower which had clamshell doors.  The AC was adequate, important for this very warm cruise.

Dining:  The MDR was a big letdown.  The first night's menu was like a Gala menu, but the food was not close.  The worst was escargot served cold! Servers didn't come back to check after serving.  When the server came back to pick up the dish, I asked if it was intentionally served cold and didn't get an answer.  A few minutes later I was brought another one which was also cold.  Not hot, not warm, but COLD!  The fish was chewy. We decided to try breakfast and lunch at the Windjammer, their buffet, the next day.  At least the food on the hot stations was better.  The Windjammer stations are on islands as opposed to next to the kitchen areas like on Holland.  This means nothing is cooked or made in front of you but has been made in advance and may have been there for a rather long time. 

Entertainment:  The atrium is impressive and was used for many events including an excellent pianist, a 3-piece string trio, among others.  The seating areas are on deck 4, 5 and 6 for the atrium and are limited for the more popular events.

The theater with balcony had comfortable seating forward.  There was a juggler, hypnotist and a comic. Only one night featured their band with singers with a combination of older and newer music.  I guess the newer and bigger RCCL ships get the better entertainment.  We expected the Serenade would beat the typical Holland entertainment hands down, but not on this ship.

The Schooner Lounge and the Safari Club along with Congo Bar were very attractive.  The Congo overlooks the aft wake.  There is no lounge where the Crow's Nest is on Holland.  The Viking Lounge, mid ship, has been walled in half which limits viewing.  It was empty most of this cruise as was the Concierge Club.

Diamond members (like our 4 and 5 star) are given 4 beverage tickets per day rather than the happy hour usually served there.  Probably a better perk as they can be used anytime and anywhere.

A big favorite of mine was open area seating tables at the rear off the Windjammer buffet. It does have a roof or cover over it.  There was enough protection from the wind while at sea, too.  We had morning coffee and breakfast there and loved it.  Only the Prinsendam in the Holland America fleet had this.  I complimented the staff member overseeing that area and he was so pleased! He checked on me every day and thanked me on our last day immensely.  

In conclusion, I would recommend the Serenade only for those who don't want to drive to a Florida East Coast port.  If I can book a cruise on it at a very good price, then I would return. If I have to pay Holland America prices, then we will cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks for the report on your RCCL cruise.  Interesting about the food.  My DGD Ashley will be going on Odyssey of the Seas next week and I hope the food is decent for them.  She's only cruised on Princess in the past.  I'll have to check with her about it after her return.  I don't want to worry her unnecessarily by bringing it up ahead of time.  The food and staff could be much better on her cruise.  We went on Celebrity one time in 2014 and the food was so bad, we couldn't believe it.  Lucky for us we discovered Holland America that year and never looked back at Celebrity.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!   Dogs in politics?  I read there was a rental🤷‍♀️🤔
@lindaler  sending lots of prayers for strength and comfort as you are on this journey! 

@cruising sister yikes!  That is not fun to have!  

@smitty34877 glad you are holding your own! 

@aliaschief sad that all good things must end!  Would love your larb recipe!  

DS had tragic news yesterday as his mentor was killed in a car accident after her twin’s funeral.  So  terribly sad. 

IMG_2175.jpeg

My condolences to your DS and especially to the family of the mentor.  That is heartbreaking news.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy just sent the latest email, and like him, I wish I had better news to share with everyone.

The worst night yet.  I was moved about 10 to the next lower level of intensity but is a double room and my roommate moved loudly all night so I got little if any sleep.  I show no improvement and am likely to go hospice soon.

I wish I had a better report.

Lenda

Roy, I'm very sorry to hear of your lack of sleep but your lack of improvement is sad to hear.  I hope the future is not as bad as you think and the palliative care can help.   Don't let them rush you into anything.  Prayers for you daily!

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. I had trouble getting on CC.

I remember Nixon's Checkers. Sign Language is important for those with hearing deficits. I like a good chicken pot pie occasionally. I like the quote, although you can see people doing things for you out of love. Maybe for the meal, pass on the drink and wine. I have not been to Armacao dos Buzios. 3 interesting days in history.

It's cloudy her, with a high of 75F. We had some rain this morning, and maybe more later and the next 2 days. We really need it. Nothing new with me. Leg is about the same. My stomach was unsettled this morning, and I'm just having my coffee now, with a banana. Yesterday the garbage disposal (which I rarely use) didn't work; fortunately using that tool freed the blades.  I'm still working on my sourdough today. I mixed the ingredients last night, but due to the temperature in the kitchen realized it would overproof unless I got up during the night. So I popped it in the fridge, and bulk fermentation is now occurring. Once done I'll shape the loaves and put them back in the fridge, baking them tomorrow. I haven't started any packing; I want to make sure I'm cleared to go first. I tried to bring up to BFF that I might not be allowed, and I don't think he'll go alone.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. Good going on the stocking.

@ottahand7 Sorry to hear that DB was in so much pain sitting up in the chair.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you got good rest and that your leg feels better. I'm sorry your friends are having such troubles. 

@lindaler Thanks for checking in. I'm sorry you couldn't make the cruise, but family comes first. Prayers for your family.

@ger_77 I'm glad you're feeling better.

@cruising sister I hope it's an easy fix for the bathroom.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad to hear that the PT is starting to help DH. 

@St Pete Cruiser Welcome home! Thanks for your review.

@Vict0riann Good luck with your appointment and CT scan/tattoos. I hope Pat hears good news about his valve replacement. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad you're holding your own and that DB will be back again. Prayers for you all.

@aliaschief Another beautiful sunset.

@bennybear Condolences to DS on the loss of his mentor. 

@rafinmd I'm sorry you had a bad night. I hope the prognosis will improve. Prayers.

@RedneckBob You're missed!

@kazu Thinking of you.

@HAL Sailer Continued prayers for you and DH.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm sorry you had an upset stomach this morning and hope that has passed.  Good for you getting the garbage disposal "unstuck".  Ours is 13 years old and builder grade, but we don't use it every day.  Not a lot of food goes down there.  However, you can see that the interior has some rust in it.  When we got home in July after 10 weeks absence, it wouldn't run.  We tried the little tool it came with.  No luck!  So DH tried spraying WD-40 inside where the rusty bottom was.  After a half hour or so he was able to use the wrench to get those blades moving.  I was very glad we didn't have to get it replaced while we were so busy getting things sorted here at home.  BTW, you asked one day how my twin is doing lately and I forgot to answer.  She's doing very well.  I would call her shoulder replacement a complete success.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear so many people are ill and saddened today.

I contacted CC customer service by email and asked if they could please get in touch with NickelPenny since we are all concerned about her. I got the answer that they will do so. I just hope she is okay.  

@lindalerI am so sorry about your family issues. I do hope everything works out for you and your loved ones.  

Roy so sorry to hear about your situation.  I would have the team explain to you all of your options and the reasons why each is recommended or not.  Please don't let anyone rush you into anything.   Remember you are the one in charge of your care, not them.   If you have a support person I would also have this person with you during these discussions, either in person, or by zoom or phone,  since it is better to have two sets of ears to hear what is being said and why.  

Not much on the agenda today. I filled in for a canasta group and played most of the afternoon and then checked emails for work.

Sending hugs to all who post here.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

YIKES! This morning it was classed as a potential tropical cyclone but may become Tropical Storm Helene and then Hurricane Helene.

Helenemap.jpg.ba758f4ae017ed11c2ef67f6498b0f2c.jpg

The disturbance we’ve been watching in the western Caribbean is now Potential Tropical Cyclone 9 and the NHC has begun advisories and issued the first watches. There’s still a high chance this system becomes Tropical Storm Helene within 48 hours and eventually Hurricane Helene as it approaches the Gulf Coast later this week. Helene may become a major hurricane before landfall along the northeast Gulf Coast. Some of the latest guidance has shifted a bit east closer to Tampa and the western coast of FL. Anyone from the AL/FL border to the west coast of FL should monitor future Helene very closely as all indications are it will be a powerful storm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 15

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy just sent the latest email, and like him, I wish I had better news to share with everyone.

The worst night yet.  I was moved about 10 to the next lower level of intensity but is a double room and my roommate moved loudly all night so I got little if any sleep.  I show no improvement and am likely to go hospice soon.

I wish I had a better report.

Lenda

Thank you for sharing Roy's @rafinmd health update Lenda.

Hopefully he gets a better sleep tonight and has better news to share with us tomorrow.

Sending Roy our prayers 🙏 and good wishes.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

From my DS!

I got fantastic news today as well. No chemo! I will be taking a hormone blocker for at least 5 years as well as Zomeda infusions twice a year to keep osteoporosis at bay. Other than that I just have to heal and decide if I want implants later.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My thoughts and prayers with you and Pat as you navigate everything this week.  Glad to hear you were able to get a good night's rest last night.  

Thanks for the report on your RCCL cruise.  Interesting about the food.  My DGD Ashley will be going on Odyssey of the Seas next week and I hope the food is decent for them.  She's only cruised on Princess in the past.  I'll have to check with her about it after her return.  I don't want to worry her unnecessarily by bringing it up ahead of time.  The food and staff could be much better on her cruise.  We went on Celebrity one time in 2014 and the food was so bad, we couldn't believe it.  Lucky for us we discovered Holland America that year and never looked back at Celebrity.

My condolences to your DS and especially to the family of the mentor.  That is heartbreaking news.  

Roy, I'm very sorry to hear of your lack of sleep but your lack of improvement is sad to hear.  I hope the future is not as bad as you think and the palliative care can help.   Don't let them rush you into anything.  Prayers for you daily!

Vanessa, I'm sorry you had an upset stomach this morning and hope that has passed.  Good for you getting the garbage disposal "unstuck".  Ours is 13 years old and builder grade, but we don't use it every day.  Not a lot of food goes down there.  However, you can see that the interior has some rust in it.  When we got home in July after 10 weeks absence, it wouldn't run.  We tried the little tool it came with.  No luck!  So DH tried spraying WD-40 inside where the rusty bottom was.  After a half hour or so he was able to use the wrench to get those blades moving.  I was very glad we didn't have to get it replaced while we were so busy getting things sorted here at home.  BTW, you asked one day how my twin is doing lately and I forgot to answer.  She's doing very well.  I would call her shoulder replacement a complete success.  

Sandi I'm sure Ashley will love Odyssey of the seas.

For young people the activities are amazing.

It is well worth booking one of Royal Caribbean speciality restaurants deals online.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

From my DS!

I got fantastic news today as well. No chemo! I will be taking a hormone blocker for at least 5 years as well as Zomeda infusions twice a year to keep osteoporosis at bay. Other than that I just have to heal and decide if I want implants later.

Joy, that is the best news I've seen today.  I know you are both relieved.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

From my DS!

This is fantastic news Joy.

I'm happy for you and your sister.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

From my DS!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

JOY!!!!!! WOW WHAT GREAT NEWS SIS! I was just thinking of Bonnie and you while I am cooking and here you are! 
I am soooo happy for her Joy, this is such an important step for her!! Life is beautiful and wonderful for your family!

❤️You!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Denise

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites from Osaka. 

First I want to give Roy my heartfelt prayers. He's been such a great contributer to our Daily. I hope he rebounds!

Today we are going to Japan's largest aquarium.  The sky has been a bit cloudy, so thankfully we can wall a short distance to it.

Know you are in my prayers and I follow Vanessa's list closely. 

Hoping @kazu gets relief.

Take care and have a blessed day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

From my DS!

That is the best news for Bonnie.  I'm sure she and the rest of the family are very happy to hear that.  Blessings to her!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

From my DS!

That's great news - I was hoping since the lymph nodes were clean she would be spared chemo (generally the case only if the tumor is small, which in my experiences was always true). She's on the road to recovery!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

From my DS!

Great news, although the blockers can be tough.  One day at a time.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@Seasick Sailor Joy, I am so happy for your sister!  Rapid healing, Bonnie!

@rafinmd Roy, don't give up!  @tupper10 gave great advice.  Know that we are all supporting you in whatever decision or direction you take.  I think you are a favorite brother to many of us.

@kazu Hope you are doing a bit better today.  

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear DB is coming back soon.  Take care of yourself and warm thoughts for Tana.

@marshhawk I hope you have time to relax and take care of yourself.  

Not a lot new here.  I spent the afternoon cleaning up a power point I am giving on Wednesday night in place of a friend who is getting over Covid.  Otherwise, a lazy day.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

@rafinmd Roy you sound as if you have given up. Please don’t. Attitude is sometimes the most important part of the battle. We are all pulling for you.

I apologize if I read too much into your message, but you sounded so disheartened. 

Lots of love & prayers winging their way. 

Ann

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

@rafinmd Roy you sound as if you have given up. Please don’t. Attitude is sometimes the most important part of the battle. We are all pulling for you.

I apologize if I read too much into your message, but you sounded so disheartened. 

Lots of love & prayers winging their way. 

Ann

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Seasick Sailor thank you for sharing the great news about your DS Bonnie.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser thank you for updating us on Roy.  I pray that he has a better night tonight and he has a health turnaround.  We are grateful for you keeping us apprised of his status.  🙏🙏🙏

@lindaler Linda I am sorry you couldn't make your cruise.  Please take care of yourself.  

I have a busy day tomorrow, a hair dresser appointment that will be almost 2 hours, a visit with DB and I have a 3pm appointment to get a cortisone injection in my sacroiliac joint.  Very happy about that.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Without going into details, since I have not heard from Roy since I sent an email about 4 hours ago, and since my post to him,  I can say that he will have someone with him tomorrow.  When that person has to leave, there will be another who will be with him.  I hope that having someone who is close to him at his side, he will help him get  some answers and to find the will not give up.

Roy has been a big, and important part of this group from the beginning, and he has been a fighter in his health battles.  I hope he will continue that fight.  I agree with Ann @cat shepardthat a patient's attitude and willingness to fight is a big factor in any recovery.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14

24 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Without going into details, since I have not heard from Roy since I sent an email about 4 hours ago, and since my post to him,  I can say that he will have someone with him tomorrow.  When that person has to leave, there will be another who will be with him.  I hope that having someone who is close to him at his side, he will help him get  some answers and to find the will not give up.

Roy has been a big, and important part of this group from the beginning, and he has been a fighter in his health battles.  I hope he will continue that fight.  I agree with Ann @cat shepardthat a patient's attitude and willingness to fight is a big factor in any recovery.

Lenda

Totally concur.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

i have had no internet, TV or phone all day.  It just came back about a half hour ago.

I am glad that Roy will have someone with him tomorrow to help him.  He needs an advocate.  Anyone in that position should not be making decisions on their own.  

Thank you Lenda for keeping us up to date.  Storming heaven that Roy has the courage to fight for his keep on.  

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

@lindaler Thank you for letting us know what is going on.  Although cancelling your cruise was disappointing, being with family during difficult times is more important than a cruise.  I hope things turn around rapidly for your family.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, thanks for letting us know that Roy will not be alone tomorrow. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1