Tips for children

rutgers

Isn't tipping "built in" nowadays? Or are you wondering about additional tipping?

Gratuity Policy: $18.00 per guest, per day will be applied to guests sailing on all Inside, Oceanview and Veranda staterooms. $19.00 per guest, per day will be applied to guests sailing on all Concierge and AquaClass staterooms. $23.00 per guest, per day will be applied to guests sailing in The Retreat staterooms.

The dining staff will do just as much for a child as they do for an adult -- possibly more because they may have to bring in a booster seat for the three-year old.  The waiters were always wonderful with my kids.  I specifically remember one waiter who always brought each child at the table (there were 5 total) a plate of cookies to take back to their room after dinner.  My kids felt so special carrying out their cookies.  And my youngest was ultra-shy in her younger teen years /wouldn't speak up to ask for what she wanted to eat.  One waiter said, "Don't worry -- I'll bring you the Shy Girl Special".  He came back with a tall wine glass filled with ice cream and hot fudge sauce -- not on the menu.  She felt special, and she started talking to him the next day.  All my other kids demanded the "Shy Girl Special" for the rest of the cruise -- and he did not disappoint.  I remember once we were in the MDR for lunch, and my fussy eater oldest didn't want anything on the menu.  The waiter asked, "What do you really want?"  And she said, "A peanut butter and jelly sandwich."  He went and made one.  I don't think we've had unique experiences with the wait staff and kids -- I think they really go above and beyond.  

On the other hand, I'm a little less sure the Cabin Steward deserves 4 gratuities.  Yes, he has to provide more towels and take away more trash for 4 people, and he has to put up/down the Pullman beds -- but cleaning the bathroom isn't any more effort, nor is vacuuming.  If you were talking about an infant in diapers (meaning he'd have to take away stinky diapers), I might say 3 gratuities +++.  But I don't think he's doing double the work in your case. 

On the other hand, if you have two connecting rooms and the Cabin Steward is cleaning two rooms, he deserves full gratuities for both rooms.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No. 

We literally got a room charge for the tip (or whatever it is now called) every day for the two of us.  I think you can get it taken off, but that would be extra work.  IOW, we did NOTHING and had a balance due at the end of the cruise with no opt in or prior action required to make it happen.

So, not "built in" as part of the up-front cruise fare, but "built in" as in charged automatically daily to your onboard account (and linked CC at the end).  

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Isn't tipping "built in" nowadays? Or are you wondering about additional tipping?

Gratuity Policy: $18.00 per guest, per day will be applied to guests sailing on all Inside, Oceanview and Veranda staterooms. $19.00 per guest, per day will be applied to guests sailing on all Concierge and AquaClass staterooms. $23.00 per guest, per day will be applied to guests sailing in The Retreat staterooms.

The daily gratuity can be added when booking and is paid at final payment.  Otherwise the above amounts will be added to the on board account daily.  

• Like 2

Yes, definitely! They tend to create even more work than adults do, and tipping should be done accordingly. (I say this as a parent who has sailed with kids ranging from less than a year old to age 9)

• Like 2

Guys you’re losing sight of the question. You can adjust the tips if you need to. The basic question is for four people in one room, where one is three years old and the other is five. Do you tip the full amount for everyone? This is assuming no one is in diapers

6 minutes ago, rutgers said:

Guys you’re losing sight of the question. You can adjust the tips if you need to. The basic question is for four people in one room, where one is three years old and the other is five. Do you tip the full amount for everyone? This is assuming no one is in diapers

The first person to respond gave the most accurate response. Yes, the full gratuity is expected.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rutgers said:

Yes as it should be.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Age of the passenger is irrelevant. If the passenger is sleeping in the room there will be a charge for the passenger. 

And extra bedding will have to be set up and dismantled daily by the room steward. More work for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Tips ARE NOT INCLUDED at least for U.S bookings it may be different for UK and Australia.    Earlier this year the included tips for Suits was eliminated.    You will be charged to you account daily account.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

On the other hand, I'm a little less sure the Cabin Steward deserves 4 gratuities.  Yes, he has to provide more towels and take away more trash for 4 people, and he has to put up/down the Pullman beds --  were talking about an infant in diapers (meaning he'd have to take away stinky diapers), I might say 3 gratuities +++.  But I don't think he's doing double the work in your case. 

You literally just described extra work. He didn't have to make up and turn down 4 beds just for me and my wife. If kids are eating cookies in the room there will certainly be more vacuuming.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

I realize the question has been well addressed and correctly answered, but I only want to add for clarity that if the cruise lines intended the gratuities to be scaled by age they would have indicated that by identifying the different suggested amounts by age.  As it is stated as "per person per day" that indicates "all".

I know, I know... your question was answered. Here is a little story for the popcorn crowd that may provide some comic relief/entertainment value. 

I was on a sailing with family including two young grandchildren - similar ages to your children. While at dinner one evening, my son in law needed to retrieve something for one of the kids from their cabin. While in the cabin he observed the cabin steward using a vacuum cleaner with a small attachment vacuuming out the beach sand from inside and on the kids shoes! Unbelievable service.

• Like 2