What is YOUR pet peeve, when flying in economy?

DonRobertoSanJuan

First, a heartfelt "thank you" for subsidizing my (and countless others') coach fare. Maybe if you and your company fly a little more often, it will reduce those fares even more.

You comment rates right up there on the snarky scale and you aren't even a regular that gets accused of snarky comments quite frequently.

Why don't YOU buy things like more pate, foie gras, imported truffles, imported flowers, imported cheeses and chocolates etc. etc on a more regular basis so we could increase our freight business to lower YOUR subsidized cheapo airfares??? BECAUSE YOU WON'T spend the money just like you are begrudging those who pay the big bucks to fly and expect a drink and special treatment like coats being hung up and extra duty free bags stuffed in the FA closets.

Or maybe you should spend almost $104,000 that we have spent in the last couple of weeks to move Passover food to some of the high dollar Passover events in 5* hotels around the world? Most of the Jewish companies that sponsor week long events in resorts around the world charge a MINIMUM of $6000 PER PERSON. http://www.theprimeexperience.com/. AND that doesn't include airfare. So you certainly benefited by your subsidized air fare.

For that price, you get a basic hotel room, all the food you could eat, kids activities and plenty of rabbinical scholars and other enlightenment programs. And when they don't get the cakes and specialty deserts in NYC ready for us to pickup via truck so we can deliver by the following Wednesday in CA, they are more than willing to pay the airfreight which certainly subsidizes your cheapo leisure air. The amount of food that goes to waste at these events is simply astounding. 2014, we took a full semi load of left over food to the LA County Food bank. They sure ate well for a week.

And second... The fact that your pre-takeoff drink makes you feel like you're getting something "special" for spending all that money? :rolleyes: God forbid first class had to wait until the plane was in the air, to get their drinks.

All I can say is you truly fall into the envy position and those who think they are ENTITLED!!!

Edited by greatam

It's not that I am begrudging them their fancy little perk that they have paid thousands for. Better them than me, as I don't mind having to wait the 15 minutes till we're airborne, to get a complimentary beverage. It's the fact that cow-towing to the 8 special people in first class while the other 200 are trying to board is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

If you are not begrudging FC passengers their perks, you sure have taken the opposite side of the aisle in your posts. You make no sense.

DING DING DING!!! Give that man a cupie-doll!!!

The word most likely to become extinct in the English language is "value". People talk price, they rarely talk value.

You get what you pay for. If you are lucky. Most times, if the vendor knows you are buying on price, you get even less than what you pay for.

Now to me this would be an interesting thread topic.

"What are some good value for money airlines.....not necessarily the cheapest?"

Is anyone else curious? If so I will start a new thread.

I totally agree that I would prefer to pay a little more if I am going to get more value for money.

It's not that I am begrudging them their fancy little perk that they have paid thousands for. Better them than me, as I don't mind having to wait the 15 minutes till we're airborne, to get a complimentary beverage. It's the fact that cow-towing to the 8 special people in first class while the other 200 are trying to board is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

Sounds like jealousy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with everyone about the the unruly kids, the overstuffed carrying ons,

the back of the seat grabbers, those who overflow onto my seat and those who are so important they cannot possibly turn off their phones. One of my pet peeves are those who talk loudly non stop, especially on overnight flights.

However, I did have a funny experience a while ago. On a delayed flight out of Orlando, it wasn't the kids who were causing the problem but the very large church women in their Sunday best who were drunk and were praying for us all, heathens and believers, that Jesus would hold the plane up in the air from Orlando to New York. Say AMEN sister. First time others have prayed for me in an airplane.

Guess I never needed to become an aerospace engineer if Jesus has aerodynamics and high-lift all figured out

Pet peeve? Let me share my story from this past Tuesday on AA from SJU to JFK.

Reposted from my Facebook rant. Enjoy.

Well folks I just returned from an awesome long weekend in San Juan. Flew down in first class and back in economy. Let me now count the ways why I will never fly economy on purpose ever again.

The 4 person family in front of us started out with the father hitting his 6 year old son hard in the head telling him to behave and yelling at his wife. The younger kid then started screaming and rocking his seat back and forth. Keep in mind the father now has his headphones on and yells to his wife to watch the kids. She is across the aisle and he is sitting between them. The wife ignores him as she plays kiddie video games on her iPad with headphones on. We hadn't taken off yet. After we take off they all recline their seats. No problem as my wife and I were able to stretch out a bit with no one in the middle seat. My wife lightly touched the front of her seat while crocheting and the father turns around and announces "the seat goes back that far, I will recline the seat that far". I just said in amazement that no one was pushing his seat. What an *******. He also later went on a tirade calling his wife and kids names and throwing F bombs at all if them. In the meantime the snack cart is rolling along and kid #1 decides to pick his nose and wipe it on a container of Pringles (Hey this might be the only way to make Pringles edible) and I had to point out to the flight attendant which one not to serve. There is now a screaming kid in the back and the two small kids behind me and my wife are kicking the seats and opening and closing the tray tables as hard as they can. At least their parents were cordial when I turned around and asked them to stop. Oh did I mention that the ******* who reclined his seat (not his original one) moved after 10 minutes back to his original seat and left the seat reclined? Also did I mention the couple across the aisle? The guy was lying down with his head in his girlfriend's lap (head facing upwards you dirty minded people) he had shorts on and with his knees bent we all got a good look at his balls. No not the soccer type of balls that a couple of other idiots decided to roll down the aisle a couple of times. Economy flying during a holiday/school break week. What a combo!

86 and sunny for 3 1/2 days now 40's and raining. Reality sucks.

Oh by the way; I hate JFK and the Belt Parkway.

Never again in Economy!

Larry

You might want to avoid BA, they hold economy passengers from leaving the plane until the First class is off--even if economy is closer to the exit.

Where have you seen that? I have always left the plane from the forward exit when flying with BA and then First and Club are closest to the exit.

I guess that if other exits are used it could be a possible scenario but I think that First passengers always use the forward exit, don't they?

I totally agree that I would prefer to pay a little more if I am going to get more value for money.

Value is purely subjective though :confused:

It's not that I am begrudging them ....It's the fact that cow-towing to the 8 special people in first class while the other 200 are trying to board is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Sure sounds like you are begrudging them. As someone already pointed out, usually the FA's try to time their movements back and forth to gaps in boarding or when the line has stopped moving etc. I've seldom seen the pre-departure beverage service really cause any sort of boarding delay, and certainly not to the extent that it could be referred to a pain in the ass. (Not to mention the fact that on some aircraft the boarding door is behind first, so the PDB service has absolutely 0 effect on economy pax boarding on those flights)

And for the record, I am rarely seated in first these days, so I'm seldom a recipient of this particular perk. i.e. I'm usually boarding AFTER first has been seated and their drink service has begun, and can't see that it's an issue.

Sounds like jealousy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yup.

Where have you seen that? I have always left the plane from the forward exit when flying with BA and then First and Club are closest to the exit.

I guess that if other exits are used it could be a possible scenario but I think that First passengers always use the forward exit, don't they?

It depends on the airport and plane. Some airports aren't set up with the two jetway system. I came in on a 777 to EWR a month ago and they were only using the door between F and J. They held J for F and I saw the FA's blocking the aisle between Y and J as I was getting off and would assume they were going to hold Y until J had also cleared.

Also did I mention the couple across the aisle? The guy was lying down with his head in his girlfriend's lap (head facing upwards you dirty minded people) he had shorts on and with his knees bent we all got a good look at his balls. No not the soccer type of balls that a couple of other idiots decided to roll down the aisle a couple of times.

Where were we on the discussion of "unwarmed nuts"??

Edited by FlyerTalker

It depends on the airport and plane. Some airports aren't set up with the two jetway system. I came in on a 777 to EWR a month ago and they were only using the door between F and J. They held J for F and I saw the FA's blocking the aisle between Y and J as I was getting off and would assume they were going to hold Y until J had also cleared.

Indeed this is what I experience as a somewhat frequent long haul J traveler on BA. They always hold us for F, as they should.

Indeed this is what I experience as a somewhat frequent long haul J traveler on BA. They always hold us for F, as they should.

If you want to make lots of new friends I can recommend taking your sweet time as the last passenger out of the F cabin. I can recall disembarking a 777 from 2L and being held up as one guy was left gathering his items for about a minute after all the other F passengers had left. This being British Airways most people were too polite to do anything other than hold tight but you could hear some huffing and puffing and some people's blood starting to boil :D

If it came to that (and it won't for anyone with status in a legacy) I would gladly pay a $25 or more fee to ensure I could keep my bag with me. My time is worth too much money to spend an extra two plus hours at an airport.

An hour in each direction. Fly into MCO or PHL and let me know how it works for you. The last time I checked a bag to MCO it was two hours to get it back. My friend gave up, went up the street to the Alehouse, had dinner and came back just as the bags came out.

Since we will be travelling with a 4 month old baby soon, any tips from some of the experienced travellers here so we won't be hated too much by the other business class passengers on a return Europe to Canada flight ?

Someone mentioned here that parents should walk around with a baby to quiet it down, however what about in the middle of the night ?

Any tips appreciated as long as they are well meant.

Since we will be travelling with a 4 month old baby soon, any tips from some of the experienced travellers here so we won't be hated too much by the other business class passengers on a return Europe to Canada flight ?

Someone mentioned here that parents should walk around with a baby to quiet it down, however what about in the middle of the night ?

Walking around should be fine as long as you're not charging about like a rhino. If you're flying upstairs on the 747 the floor feels a lot more "bouncy" compared to the main deck. I find myself noticing people walk past the seat more there than downstairs.

If walking around with the baby quiets him/her, it would seem that the middle of the night would be a very good time to do it.

5) People not being smart and just clicking "sort by price". Unfortunately we brought on the 'pay for seat assignment, pay for luggage' in the race for all airlines to be at the top of the listing on an internet search. If you can make your base fee ultra low you'll be at the top of the list. Travel Agents in the past would offer advice "You know, Wardair have much nicer seats, and a full steak dinner, even if they're $35 more, it's worth it". Today people are sheep and click the cheapest. If travellers were a little more savvy, people would be willing to pay a little more for quality, and not chase everyone else down the low-price rabbit hole.

I click by the time I want to fly but still the airlines charge me for seats/bags & food if I want to eat plane food :mad:

Not everyone can afford BUS or 1st class & if anyone has FF miles they want to give me I will take them ;)

Gave up on charter flights years ago & yes loved Wardair

Other than a cash grab charging for checked bags is plain stupid IMO

People just drag more onto the plane as carry-on

Do not get me started on the small planes :mad:

where the largest carry-on that will fit in the overhead is a small purse but yet people drag the carry-ons down the jet way only to have them gate checked for FREE

What are the airlines thinking :eek:

You seem to get better deals from Australian than here in Canada

My friend flies from SYD to MIA cheaper than I can fly to Europe :eek: