What is YOUR pet peeve, when flying in economy?

DonRobertoSanJuan

Nobody mentioned my pet peeve, there just isn't enough room to recline the seat, so don't try. I don't know why the airlines allow folks to recline when it leaves no room for the passenger behind to breathe.

Oh, and I purposely choose the aisle seat to stretch my legs. That's the perk of the aisle seat, makes up for having to get up numerous times for the bathroom goers.;)

Edited by Got2Cruise

people who stand for most of the flight, I find it unnerving.

Sometimes people have to stand. I had sciatica and was standing at the rear of the plane one time reading a paperback. The flight became bumpy & the FA asked me to return to my seat. I told her "You're no fun" & she replied "Yeah, I know."

Are you speaking about me? I AM ENTITLED and pretty much a diva.

never….

I'm just a Kettle and I am most definitely NOT entitled. I deal with enough entitled people at my hotel to want to NEVER exhibit that behavior!

It seems like an overgeneralization about kids on planes in this thread, I have two kids who are very well behaved on a plane. You wouldn't likely know they were there, I always make sure they have plenty of activities, snacks and their iPads with headphones.

There are well behaved children with attentive parents...if kids are a bother it's likely the parents not being attentive.

My pet peeves are-

* People who bring fast food on board, it stinks!!

* people who stand for most of the flight, I find it unnerving.

* People talking on cell phones, don't they know it is annoying to listen to a one sided conversation?

But until I own a private jet...LOL! I will continue to be an empathetic human being :)

I'm sure your kids are well behaved. I always find it funny that, when people bring up bad airplane behavior by kids, every parent who replies says their kids are always well behaved. After years of travel, trust me - it's not an overgeneralization. You and your children are in the good minority.

As for the standing peeve: I do get claustrophobic at times on planes, especially the single aisle/3x3 economy planes. Even if I get an aisle, I must get up and walk. I'll ask the FAs if I may stand at the rear for awhile. My claustrophobia is also one of the reasons why I'll use miles to get a Business seat - that little more room does ease the anxiety.

Edited by slidergirl

I'm sure your kids are well behaved. I always find it funny that, when people bring up bad airplane behavior by kids, every parent who replies says their kids are always well behaved. After years of travel, trust me - it's not an overgeneralization. You and your children are in the good minority.

As for the standing peeve: I do get claustrophobic at times on planes, especially the single aisle/3x3 economy planes. Even if I get an aisle, I must get up and walk. I'll ask the FAs if I may stand at the rear for awhile. My claustrophobia is also one of the reasons why I'll use miles to get a Business seat - that little more room does ease the anxiety.

I am not a delusional parent, my kids are far from perfectly behaved China dolls. However, I know they are well behaved while flying. Because I am over zealous when it comes to their behaviour that could be disruptive to others. They are also very well behaved in restaurants.

ETA- I have also been on many flights, and there are well behaved children in this world.

As for the standing, I completely empathize with people who have anxiety, or back pain and they need to stand. I was on a plane a while back where a man in The seat directly in front of me stood facing me the entire 4.5 hour flight (minus take off and landing). I found it very distressing. i've also had the most unpleasant experience of having a person stand in the isle to talk with the person beside me in the window seat.

If a person needs to stand for whatever reason go for it, just be conscience of the other passengers and how your behaviour may also impact them...just good manners IMHO.

Edited by Mama2girlz

I have had better meals onboard cruiseships than flying.

And that surprises you??? Why? Think about it... a ship has a full kitchen at its disposal, and a whole crew of people IN that kitchen to prepare food (relatively) fresh for each meal. An airplane does not have a kitchen. All it has are warming ovens. Food has to be prepared ahead of time and be reheated, so you're basically getting a TV dinner. Not sure why you expect something else on a plane. :confused:

My pet peeve: people going somewhere for fun, and are still complaining. I understand it is a problem if a business traveller does not arrive well-rested for his business meeting, but for the rest of us.....

Any holiday trip is a good trip. I don't need a meal, I don't need a seat that reclines, I don't have to sit next to the man who I've sat next to for the last 20 years, I don't need a film. I don't care where I sit and I don't care what I get fed.

People treat air travel as if it is a life changing thing. Lighten up, it's a bus to get you from A to B, and after a few hours you get to the destination you want to be.

I worked for an airline for many years, and I occasionally helped out at the customer service department. Passengers would write complaint letters that their favourite type of brandy was not on board :eek:, that the fish meal ran out and they had to eat chicken:eek:, that they thought the stewardess looked funny at them :eek:, or that the departure gate was cold :eek:, in wording which made you think the world had just ended.

My pet peeve: people going somewhere for fun, and are still complaining. I understand it is a problem if a business traveller does not arrive well-rested for his business meeting, but for the rest of us.....

Any holiday trip is a good trip. I don't need a meal, I don't need a seat that reclines, I don't have to sit next to the man who I've sat next to for the last 20 years, I don't need a film. I don't care where I sit and I don't care what I get fed.

People treat air travel as if it is a life changing thing. Lighten up, it's a bus to get you from A to B, and after a few hours you get to the destination you want to be.

I worked for an airline for many years, and I occasionally helped out at the customer service department. Passengers would write complaint letters that their favourite type of brandy was not on board :eek:, that the fish meal ran out and they had to eat chicken:eek:, that they thought the stewardess looked funny at them :eek:, or that the departure gate was cold :eek:, in wording which made you think the world had just ended.

I fully understand why reading these letters would be frustrating. And no, air travel is not necessarily a life changing event........though some of the destinations I have visited has opened my eyes to various cultures which could be considered life changing.

If I only have to fly for a few hours none of these issues are important. However coming from Perth if I wish to visit Europe, Africa, the Middle East, North and South America I always have to fly long haul. Because I want to learn more about this world I cope with it..........but it makes a lot tougher when you have to deal with people who are inconsiderate of others in the plane.

For flights of a few hours I agree. However the last time I traveled, I was in transit for 20 hours.

never….

I'm just a Kettle and I am most definitely NOT entitled. I deal with enough entitled people at my hotel to want to NEVER exhibit that behavior!

I like to read the entitled elites whine on Flyertalk and Milepoint. For some of them not getting that free upgrade really is the end of the world and proof (in their minds) that airline X really does hate their frequent fliers. :rolleyes:

I like to read the entitled elites whine on Flyertalk and Milepoint. For some of them not getting that free upgrade really is the end of the world and proof (in their minds) that airline X really does hate their frequent fliers. :rolleyes:

There are times that people have legitimate gripes. One is when non-rev crew from a non-aligned carrier get those seats instead of top tiers. Happened to me a couple years ago. On US. Two WN FA's got the last two seats in F on non-rev travel while I got stuck in the middle seat last row after a day of mechanical related misconnects. You bet I was peeved and you bet US ended up making that right with more than a few bonus miles. That was completely in disregard of their written policy, and the gate agent had zero right to upgrade her pals over myself and another elite who didn't get a seat at all.

Edited by ducklite

I've read all the gripes/posts about the carry on luggage.

How about this simple one...

Those passengers who place the rollaboard in the overhead facing the WRONG DIRECTION!!!

Wheels out or length wise, then have a cow when you re-position it correctly so you can place your bag in the same overhead.

FWIW

Wheels out or length wise, then have a cow when you re-position it correctly so you can place your bag in the same overhead.
Actually, in my "limited experience", the optimum position for rollaboards is to have the wheels "out" (towards the aisle) and "up" (turning the bag upside-down. The "up" puts the wheels towards the bulge in the bin door, so there is less chance of it stopping it from being closed.

The other factor is that some bins are sloped in the back, so there is less height there. If your bag is tapered at the top, putting it in with the taper first may allow it to slide further in. (Eagle Creek rollers have that taper, as do some other brands. I've gotten my EC roller into bins where my Hartman or Tumi might not have fit.)

My poor husband was stuck in the middle seat between me and a woman who chose to eat RAW GARLIC CLOVES as her brought-from-home snack. I am sure it warded off both cold germs and vampires, but hubby was on the verge of puking!

My biggest pet peeve, no matter what class I'm flying in, is people who grab the top of my seat to pull themselves up rather than pushing up on their armrests. Nothing like sitting there reading and your seat suddenly gets yanked back hard. And, no, my seat is not reclined into their face.

1 bathroom use, Why do so many people run to the bathrooms as soon as the plane has taken off and keep on going and going and going. Don't they know there are bathrooms at the airport that are much more comfortable and mostly cleaner as well. We always make sure to go just before boarding and seldom need to use that tiny, filthy bathroom on the plane.

I agree with you that going and going and going isn't normally necessary but to use the bathroom once during the flight really makes sence, I think.

In some airports you can't know how soon you will be able to use a bathroom. US immigration can take a looooong time and security at Heathrow can take a looooong time. I never use the bathroom when flying from Heathrow to Arlanda because it's a short flight and I know that I can find a bathroom at Arlanda if I need it.

My poor husband was stuck in the middle seat between me and a woman who chose to eat RAW GARLIC CLOVES as her brought-from-home snack. I am sure it warded off both cold germs and vampires, but hubby was on the verge of puking!

So unacceptable. That's where the FA should have intervened, raw garlic is as noxious as nail polish remover.

Actually, in my "limited experience", the optimum position for rollaboards is to have the wheels "out" (towards the aisle) and "up" (turning the bag upside-down. The "up" puts the wheels towards the bulge in the bin door, so there is less chance of it stopping it from being closed.

The other factor is that some bins are sloped in the back, so there is less height there. If your bag is tapered at the top, putting it in with the taper first may allow it to slide further in. (Eagle Creek rollers have that taper, as do some other brands. I've gotten my EC roller into bins where my Hartman or Tumi might not have fit.)

I guess it depends in the bag and the bins. My bag either fits wheels in or sideways, no inbetweens. It's small though, inly 20" floor to handle top, and there are few planes it won't fit wheels in on--primarily RJ's, although it will on some of those as well.

My biggest pet peeve, no matter what class I'm flying in, is people who grab the top of my seat to pull themselves up rather than pushing up on their armrests. Nothing like sitting there reading and your seat suddenly gets yanked back hard. And, no, my seat is not reclined into their face.

Same here, I rarely recline my seat unless I'm on an overnight flight and I'm trying (& failing) to fall asleep. I can appreciate the occasional grab of the seat if someone needs to steady themselves, but they really shouldn't do it as a way to get up.

DH's pet peeve is the bruises I leave on his arm at takeoff ( :o nervous flyer, but I'm getting better, he hasn't had any bruises from me in the last couple of years)

Where to start......

!. Airlines who try to fit more people into plans. For example, economy on Air Canada 777 aircraft use to be 9 across. Now the new aircraft joining the fleet are 10 across and they are refitting the older aircraft with the smaller seats. They are not alone, most airlines are doing the same.

2. The fact airlines started to charge for the first checked bag. That caused more people to bring carry on that should have been checked in the first place. Some airlines understand the problem, for instance Alaska in the boarding area usually makes an announcement that this is a full aircraft, there is not sufficient room so if you are willing to gate check bring it up and we won't charge you for it. Why not encourage passenger to check as much baggage as possible at check in and avoid the problem in the first place.

3. All these people who are in love with their specific seat. We are all going to the same place. Lets get seated, ideally with parents next to their kids so they can be controlled if needed. Then lets get going so we can spend the lease amount of time in their aircraft as possible.

4. When you arrive at your destination, people who push there way off. Let the people who are seated ahead of you get off as that ensures we all get off as quickly as possible.

5.The entire silly security show. The US is of the few places obsessed with x-raying shoes. Why? The rest of the world does not care. The US has finally come along and decided not to it for business travelers.

6. The lack of warm nuts. In business class you get toasted warm nuts (usually in real dishware) with your drink. In economy sometimes you don't even get nuts and when you do they are cold.

7. Lack of foot rests. On some of the older airlines the seats use to have footrests in economy, hard to find these days.

8. Padded seats. Older economy seats use to have padding. Today they have slim line seats. far less padding.

Edited by em-sk

Where to start......

3. All these people who are in love with their specific seat. We are all going to the same place. Lets get seated, ideally with parents next to their kids so they can be controlled if needed. Then lets get going so we can spend the lease amount of time in their aircraft as possible.

6. The lack of warm nuts. In business class you get toasted warm nuts (usually in real dishware) with your drink. In economy sometimes you don't even get nuts and when you do they are cold.

I'll have to disagree with #3. If parents are flying with their kids, they need to preselect seats next to each other. Likewise for spouses who want to sit together. If that means paying an upcharge, so be it. Why should someone who paid for a particular seat not get to sit there, just because someone was too cheap to pick seats together?

As for the warm nuts, if you getting those in business class it's because you are on an international flight. If that's the case, not only will you get nuts (or pretzels) in economy, you'll get an entire meal. Won't be the same as the one served in biz, but then again you didn't pay quite the same amount for your flight as those folks did, did you? Stands to reason they should get some things the folks in coach don't get. ;)

Other people's children can be annoying, but they need to be given something of a pass - as long as the parents show reasonable effort to control them. Just as you should give someone who is physicall handicapped a bit of leeway, you should realize that small children are not fully developed socially - and none of us were either when we were three.

My key complaint, however, is the person who brings a rolling duffel, a "small" back pack and three shopping bags and hogs overhead storage ---- and then goes on Cruise Critic to boast about taking a 12 day cruise following a week of land travel with "just carryons". Yeah - we know how you are able to do it.

Where to start......

!. Airlines who try to fit more people into plans. For example, economy on Air Canada 777 aircraft use to be 9 across. Now the new aircraft joining the fleet are 10 across and they are refitting the older aircraft with the smaller seats. They are not alone, most airlines are doing the same.

4. When you arrive at your destination, people who push there way off. Let the people who are seated ahead of you get off as that ensures we all get off as quickly as possible.

5.The entire silly security show. The US is of the few places obsessed with x-raying shoes. Why? The rest of the world does not care. The US has finally come along and decided not to it for business travelers.

8. Padded seats. Older economy seats use to have padding. Today they have slim line seats. far less padding.

1) Because people are demanding lower fares, and companies are companies for a reason - to make money. People are getting what they demand.

3) I am very specific about my seats, especially on longer flights. I've told people "no" when they want me to switch before, because I specifically chose my seat (and sometimes paid for it) for a reason.

4) Sometimes people are late for connections. Other times they are jerks.

5) It's not just for business travelers.

8) See #1 - Slimline = more seats = more money for the airlines when people don't want to pay a penny more than the other guy charges. People are getting what they demand.

I'll have to disagree with #3. If parents are flying with their kids, they need to preselect seats next to each other. Likewise for spouses who want to sit together. If that means paying an upcharge, so be it. Why should someone who paid for a particular seat not get to sit there, just because someone was too cheap to pick seats together?

Exactly. I'm not giving up the seat I pre-selected or sometimes even paid extra for because someone was too foolish to not plan ahead--or worse yet entitled thinking the world would revolve around them.

As for the warm nuts, if you getting those in business class it's because you are on an international flight. If that's the case, not only will you get nuts (or pretzels) in economy, you'll get an entire meal. Won't be the same as the one served in biz, but then again you didn't pay quite the same amount for your flight as those folks did, did you? Stands to reason they should get some things the folks in coach don't get. ;)

Actually some domestic flights also offer warm nuts in first.