What is YOUR pet peeve, when flying in economy?

DonRobertoSanJuan

It depends on the airport and plane. Some airports aren't set up with the two jetway system. I came in on a 777 to EWR a month ago and they were only using the door between F and J. They held J for F and I saw the FA's blocking the aisle between Y and J as I was getting off and would assume they were going to hold Y until J had also cleared.

Am I correct to assume that F=First, J=Business and Y=Economy?

If they used the door between F and J, isn't First closer to the door than Economy?

Do I misunderstand something?

Am I correct to assume that F=First, J=Business and Y=Economy?

If they used the door between F and J, isn't First closer to the door than Economy?

Do I misunderstand something?

The door is between first and business. They let the first class passengers off first. Then the business class. Then economy. Keep in mind in a wide body there are two aisles and if they let it be a free for all it might be possible that economy passengers could actually work their way off before first was even empty--I saw that on Air France where the economy cabin occupants were pushing their way out past premium economy and getting off before some of the business class was even emptied. I like the way the BA FA's kept a sense of order.

You might want to avoid BA, they hold economy passengers from leaving the plane until the First class is off--even if economy is closer to the exit.
I came in on a 777 to EWR a month ago and they were only using the door between F and J. They held J for F and I saw the FA's blocking the aisle between Y and J as I was getting off and would assume they were going to hold Y until J had also cleared.
BA is far from being the only airline that does this. In fact, there are some airlines that are even more regimented about ensuring that this happens.

There is an interesting situation on one configuration of BA's 747s, though. World Traveller Plus (premium economy) is between First and Club. Sometimes, only door 2 is used, which is between WT+ and Club. That means that First passengers have to walk through the WT+ cabin to disembark. Of course, often the WT+ passengers on that side have already disembarked ahead of them.

The word most likely to become extinct in the English language is "value". People talk price, they rarely talk value.
No, I fear that you're wrong about this. There's no danger of the word "value" becoming extinct while so many people continue to use it even though they actually mean "price".

I read someone's post about their pet peeve when flying and I thought it might be nice to hear other people's frustrations :eek:

Here are mine: 1 bathroom use, Why do so many people run to the bathrooms as soon as the plane has taken off and keep on going and going and going. Don't they know there are bathrooms at the airport that are much more comfortable and mostly cleaner as well. We always make sure to go just before boarding and seldom need to use that tiny, filthy bathroom on the plane.

2. Parents with young children who let them get out of control and bother other passengers by either screaming or pushing the seats in front of them, or worse...as on my last flight, parents who change their babies diapers in the cabin, instead of the bathroom. Disgusting.:(

3. People who feel that they need to drag all their luggage into the cabin, using all overhead space and holding up the boarding process and de-planing.:mad:

How much fatter my wallet and thinner my CC bill is :D

Wow, I did not realize that so many people have complaints about flying. To summarize most complaints, they are about inconsiderate "fellow" passengers. I also feel that flight attendants and gate agents allow people too much leeway with their carry on luggage and turn a blind eye when some inconsiderate A H:mad: puts his or her bags in the overhead in front, while they are sitting in the back. Maybe the airlines are afraid to lose business if they get too strict? I am also waiting for the day that carry-on luggage gets charged instead of checked bags and that some smart airline starts offering extra wide seats. I would be happy to pay 50% more for my 50% wider economy seat. Business and first class are just not worth the cost: Most of the time that would cost more than hotels and food for the whole trip.

Wow, I did not realize that so many people have complaints about flying. To summarize most complaints, they are about inconsiderate "fellow" passengers. I also feel that flight attendants and gate agents allow people too much leeway with their carry on luggage and turn a blind eye when some inconsiderate A H:mad: puts his or her bags in the overhead in front, while they are sitting in the back. Maybe the airlines are afraid to lose business if they get too strict? I am also waiting for the day that carry-on luggage gets charged instead of checked bags and that some smart airline starts offering extra wide seats. I would be happy to pay 50% more for my 50% wider economy seat. Business and first class are just not worth the cost: Most of the time that would cost more than hotels and food for the whole trip.

A number of lines do offer larger seats in coach for a price. Of course gate and flight attendants have the same reason for letting schlubs board with many carry-ons as MDR maitre d's have for letting schlubs in on formal nights inappropriately dressed: schlubs will behave like schlubs, and it does not seem worth the hassle to try to civilize them.

Thanks for your views re baby. If someone wants to know which flights to avoid soon, let me know (LOL).

I thought I'd mention something my gramma did for all the babies in the family to help "soothe" them when teething: a little whiskey on the gums. It's not like you're giving the child a shot of Jack, but just enough to take off the edge of crankiness. Put a little bit, even just a dropper worth, in one side of a contact lens case, and use it as needed. Also, if walking helps your child, by all means do it. Just do whatever you do in your everyday life to help settle your child will work. Everyone on the flight will appreciate your efforts; it's the parents who ignore the child's antics that "we" have issues with.

I am also waiting for the day that carry-on luggage gets charged instead of checked bags and that some smart airline starts offering extra wide seats. I would be happy to pay 50% more for my 50% wider economy seat.

Frontier already charges for carry-on bags - up to $40 per bag. You pay for everything other than a small personal item.

As for the wider seat: on a 737, making the seats 50% wider would mean that you would now have a 2-2 config rather than a 3-3.

Oh...that sounds a lot like what you find in first.

BA is far from being the only airline that does this. In fact, there are some airlines that are even more regimented about ensuring that this happens.

I recently flew first class on ANA and on Asiana, and on both airlines, the flight attendants blocked the lower class passengers from exiting the plane until all of the first class passengers were off.

I recently flew first class on ANA and on Asiana, and on both airlines, the flight attendants blocked the lower class passengers from exiting the plane until all of the first class passengers were off.

This seems to be the norm on non USA airlines

I would be happy to pay 50% more for my 50% wider economy seat. Business and first class are just not worth the cost: .

I'll bet a lot of people would SAY that but ultimately would not put their money where their mouth is. If airline A was offering an economy seat from Baltimore to Miami for $300, and airline B was offering a wider seat in economy for $450, the majority of people who SAID they'd gladly pay more for a bigger seat would probably still choose airline A. They would think about how they want a bigger seat, but then they'd think, "gee, another $150 and all I get is a wider seat? It's just not worth paying more unless I'm going to move all the way up to first class."

Frontier already charges for carry-on bags - up to $40 per bag. You pay for everything other than a small personal item.

Same with Spirit, I believe. Only personal items that fit under the seat in front of you are free. Bags in the overhead are subject to a fee.

On a short flight (under 3 hours) I may not want to spend the extra money, but on longer flights and especially trans Atlantic flights, I would be very happy to pay extra, the same way I already do for extra legroom. These seats would also be great for oversized passengers, who don't really fit into these small seats and spill over into other passenger's space:eek: Of course some politician would make a big stink if that would become airline rule. :(

On a short flight (under 3 hours) I may not want to spend the extra money, but on longer flights and especially trans Atlantic flights, I would be very happy to pay extra, the same way I already do for extra legroom. These seats would also be great for oversized passengers, who don't really fit into these small seats and spill over into other passenger's space:eek: Of course some politician would make a big stink if that would become airline rule. :(

AA tried the extra legroom for all back a few years ago. Added a few dollars to the price. People wouldn't buy the tickets for $10-20 more and left AA to fly with any airline with a cheaper price. AA took out the extra legroom, lowered the price, and people came back. Then, airlines started adding a few rows with better legroom and charging. Those who want it, pay. Those who want it but are too cheap to pay, wait for the plane doors to close, then move to those seats left empty :rolleyes:

There are already seats for obese passengers - they are called "First", "Business", or "pay for two seats"… Don't worry - Rep. Rob Bishop (R- Utah) would be on the side of the obese to make sure they can keep inconveniencing the flying public because they don't want to pay for an appropriate seat...

Same with Spirit, I believe. Only personal items that fit under the seat in front of you are free. Bags in the overhead are subject to a fee.

Spirit charges $30 for a checked bag and $25 for carry on. That's if you pay early.

Big front seat usually very reasonable. I have Amex Platinum which gives you a yearly $200 for ONE airline for fees such as these. I am in the minority but I really like Spirit (as long as I get the big front seat)

Please don't run with the idea that people with less money are necessarily inferior. Just because a person has a limited budget does not mean they are "cheap".

Most of the folks who fly business don't pay for it themselves. They rack up the points through travel paid by their job. It doesn't mean that they have a better income than you or me necessarily.

People (in general; of course some do) will not pay more for something extra if they can get something cheaper with less comfort. Back in the days, when food was free on pretty much any airline (and food was pretty good) airlines started to look for a way to reduce costs because people (once again, in general) started complaining prices were to high. So they lowered their prices but cut the cost of food. This went on to the point food on a plane is pretty much worthless except for some J & F class products.

After the food, people were still looking for cheaper fares so the airlines started cramming more seats into their planes. And the funny thing is, the people that keep looking for cheaper fares are the ones complaining there isn't enough space on board, the food is worthless and you need to pay for entertainment.

Those willing to pay more for a small extra can, but these people are limited in numbers. Even though planes often fly with a quite packed economy comfort (or plus or whatever the particular airline calls it), a lot of these seats are sort of upgraded when the flight is full in the normal economy cabin. That is why these seats are limited. It's because most people will always look for the cheapest option available. I have a number of flights every day that have economy comfort. You'd be shocked to see how low the bookings for the cabin are on a lot of occasions.

Perfect example: Last week I got a passenger who was flying from Brussels to Moscow and on to LAX. Not a frequent flyer on a mileage run or something, no. Just a guy going on a holiday who saved about €100 but had an 18 hour layover in Moscow. And he was not intending to get a hotel room for that layover. My point: what is more valuable: Sleeping on the floor of an airport or spending some extra money in order to get to your destination without flying across an entire continent just to fly over it again 18 hours later.

This might sound a bit rude, but if need to watch money like that, maybe you shouldn't make these kind of trips at all and take a vacation closer at home at a cheaper price.

This is a pretty extreme example, but it shows how crazy people get (and don't think any further than the price) when money's involved.

@Don, some airlines already have a POS (passenger of size) rule but are afraid to enforce it because of all the bad publicity. But to be honest, in my 5 year aviation career I have yet got to see a European airline that uses that rule. I know some US based airlines do use them.

Edited by headhunterke

Please don't run with the idea that people with less money are necessarily inferior. Just because a person has a limited budget does not mean they are "cheap".

I didn't say that. Someone can be a multi-millionaire and be "cheap." Some people would rather poach those Economy + seats after the doors close than pay for it like everyone else. If you are obese and you do not pay for the extra seat or pay first class, you are cheap. If you can't afford to pay for the seat, you aren't cheap, but you should consider alternative transportation or an airline that charges a fee you can afford.

I didn't say that. Someone can be a multi-millionaire and be "cheap." Some people would rather poach those Economy + seats after the doors close than pay for it like everyone else. If you are obese and you do not pay for the extra seat or pay first class, you are cheap. If you can't afford to pay for the seat, you aren't cheap, but you should consider alternative transportation or an airline that charges a fee you can afford.

On my last Delta flight, I was upgraded to First, but when we took off the FA made an announcement that there were a lot of empty seats in economy and that once the seatbelt sign went off, economy pax were welcome to move to any emtpy seat EXCEPT in rows X and X because those were economy comfort and subject to an additional fee. So it's not always possible to "poach" those seats for free after the door closes.

I have a decent but still limited travel budget. Being semi retired it allows us to travel 3 months or so each year.

I am 6ft 3in but we still travel in coach every time we fly. No peeves at all because we get exactly what we expect. Cramped seats and crappy food (along with the occasional free beer).

I just see absolutely no value in spending a similar amount of money or even more than the amount a week on a cruise ship costs me just to be comfortable for a few hours.

The decision for me is a no brainer considering we have a limited budget that is a bigger constraint to our travel than getting time off work.

So for example. Winners in bold

Fly business class for OS or domestic travel Vs 2 more cruises.

12 hours of being uncomfortable Vs Beverage package for 20 days.

Edited by woodyren

I have a decent but still limited travel budget. Being semi retired it allows us to travel 3 months or so each year.

I am 6ft 3in but we still travel in coach every time we fly. No peeves at all because we get exactly what we expect. Cramped seats and crappy food (along with the occasional free beer).

I just see absolutely no value in spending a similar amount of money or even more than the amount a week on a cruise ship costs me just to be comfortable for a few hours.

The decision for me is a no brainer considering we have a limited budget that is a bigger constraint to our travel than getting time off work.

So for example. Winners in bold

Fly business class for OS or domestic travel Vs 2 more cruises.

12 hours of being uncomfortable Vs Beverage package for 20 days.

Yeah, what you said makes a lot of sense.

I've come to the conclusion that premium cabins (Business and First) are largely for 2 types of pax - the Business traveller (i.e. airfare paid for by company) and the Miles Burner.

Those who pay full fare for the premium cabin travel out of their own pocket are probably so rich that money doesn't matter to them anymore.

Just my views, I could be wrong.