Do you buy stuff to only wear on cruises?

Do you buy anything to only wear during cruises?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy anything to only wear during cruises?

• Yes
    • No

The only places in the world I can wear fancy prom gowns are cruiser ships. For the upcoming Alaska cruise, Mom took me to a thrift store to try on just that -2 ankle length sequined dresses and a maxi dress with gold embellishments. Two, the maxi dress (with a triple layer skirt) and an Indian style gown with sequins, fit perfectly and went home with me. The only reason I went to the thrift store? Because one day a year is not worth the full cost a new prom gown, but I would feel severely underdressed without one.

Do you ever buy things to wear that are only useful on cruises, either in port or on the ship?

Do you ever buy things to wear that are only useful on cruises, either in port or on the ship?

Most definitely! I have a cruise closet with the clothes I bought just for cruises. If they don't work well on a cruise or I just plain get tired of them, they go into my regular closet or to Goodwill.

Not anymore. I have a couple of cocktail dresses that work for formal nights and I have a nice 3 in 1 coat for Alaska type places. I have a lot of warm weather clothes in my everyday life so now I have no need to purchase clothes for just a cruise.

I don't buy anything I wouldn't wear on a daily basis....even gowns (not that I wear them "daily", but when an occasion arises, I'll rehear them!)! I've worn my "dressy" stuff to weddings, and NYE parties...there are opportunities.

I have a hard time with the formal nights. I hate to buy one use items and I haven't had any luck at the resale shops in my area finding formal gowns. I finally bought two on clearance very cheaply. I've got three cruises upcoming, so that's 5 formal nights. I guess if all else fails, I can cause quite a stir by wearing it to the corner grocery. :eek: :D

I didn't vote...because it seems too cut and dry to answer yes...even though that is the truth, I suppose.

It turns out that I don't swim much unless I'm on a cruise. And I certainly don't need a cover up either in my everyday life. However, there have been times when I have gone on vacation or have been invited to a pool party...or have actually used our neighborhood pool...rare times, but still, it would appear that I recently purchased some swimwear and related to only wear on a cruise. Because I haven't worn them since...

Same with the one truly formal gown I have. However, I just haven't had occasion to wear it again. It would be a fine gown to wear to an evening opera or ballet, especially during the holiday season. Unfortunately, I had gained some weight and couldn't fit into the formal any longer...so when I did attend these events...I wore a cocktail dress, not my gown. But I still have it and HOPE to wear it again for something other than the cruise. Hasn't happened yet though.

And I have purchased things to fill gaps in my wardrobe to have clothing for a cruise...and "saved" wearing them so that they would be clean and ready to go for the cruise...but then the clothing made it into my regular rotation.

So technically, I purchased the clothing just because I had a cruise coming up...

But I never INTEND to purchase clothing that I would only wear on a cruise.

But I never INTEND to purchase clothing that I would only wear on a cruise.

My thought process ran the same way, but I answered no to the poll :p

Our last cruise was a river cruise and our next cruise is on Azamara, so no formals. I have enough stuff in my closets now to wear should I go on a cruise with formal nights in the near future.

I will never buy anything that I would only be able to wear on a cruise. I have no reason nor desire to spend money on some prom or MOD dress or "flowy palazzo pants and sparkly top" just to wear for a mediocre dinner in an MDR for 3 hours. I have no desire to wear any cutsey "cruise-oriented" or nautical-influenced clothes; they would look pretty stupid in my hometown if I wore them out in public…

But, don't worry - I don't go near the MDR on formal night, so I won't be ruining anyone's meal ;)

I didn't vote either.....Because If I see a really pretty dress and/or long

skirt I may buy it for cruising but normally no......when I first started

cruising I would have said a BIG YES;).... I still enjoy dressing up

but I actually have (thankfully) quite a lot of nice clothing and bring things

I already own. But I don't want to lie, and say I would not buy somethng

new for a cruise....because I might.....I really don't have a firm yes or

no answer.

But also, I do not have any ocassions to "really dress up" here at home.

So, in my world there are no opportunites........

Quote:

" I've worn my "dressy" stuff to weddings, and NYE parties...there are opportunities."

My day to day clothing is beat-up jeans and t-shirts. Cruising is my one chance to wear nice stuff, and not worry that it will get ruined (usually). So yes, I buy clothes specifically for cruising. Once they've been worn for a few cruises, I move them to the "beat-up daily wearing closet" :D

OP, most of my clothes for cruises come from thrift shops. That saves me money so I can take another cruise :D

I have little use for cocktail dresses or formal gowns. I had purchased one long gown for a cruise. The night that I wore it I was so uncomfortable I haven't worn it since. I have several cocktail type dresses that I could wear to an upscale restaurant, but as yet have not had the opportunity.

I have bought so many new clothes since losing weight, that I now have a full closet. So, until they wear out, I won't be buying for just a cruise or anything else.

Now, shoes? That's another story.:)

I absolutely buy clothing which is intended just for cruises. My office attire of dockers and long-sleeved, collared button shirts or blouses is not what I want to wear on a cruise, except for maybe Alaska. I am accumulating a closet of "cruise wear". A few pieces do come out of the closet when I'm on my off time, but mostly they only get go come out and play when I go on vacation.

My day to day clothing is beat-up jeans and t-shirts. Cruising is my one chance to wear nice stuff, and not worry that it will get ruined (usually). So yes, I buy clothes specifically for cruising. Once they've been worn for a few cruises, I move them to the "beat-up daily wearing closet" :D

OP, most of my clothes for cruises come from thrift shops. That saves me money so I can take another cruise :D

+1 for me

One important factor for me in this discussion is that I have only been on one Caribbean cruise and it's highly unlikely I'll go on another.

I have one wardrobe that encompasses various needs and climates, but my style is my style - warm weather or cool....

I have a couple of dresses I only wear on cruises. And, since we don't use the local pool, unless we go to the beach, my swimsuits are only worn on cruises also.

I do both cruise and land vacations. Mostly AI at other Caribbean islands. So I have a wardrobe of what's considered just my vacation clothes. I'm not a fan of dressing up in gowns. I generally dress semi-formal. Nice knee length dresses.