Small ship cruises NOT for elderly?

Faithila

Oceania has great itineraries. the food is good and the specialty restaurants have no extra charge. They have 2 classes of ships: R class holds about 700 passengers and O class holds almost twice as many. The luxury ships are also smaller with excellent food and hold even fewer passengers. Most of the luxury class also have much larger state rooms.

Believe it or not, even us "elderly" cruisers enjoy meeting interesting people with diverse opinions and those who have had wonderful experiences to share with interested people, and we love really great food.

Many of us are not fans of bingo, and certainly not of silly hairy leg or wet tee-shirt contests poolside.

Many of us lead active lives and travel extensively, and are lucky enough to not have to rely on motorized chairs, walker, canes, etc. But even if we do have to use one of those devices, it doesn't mean we're dull and boring. We can be fun and interesting table mates at dinner, or for chatting over pre-dinner drinks. And we can be good listeners when others have something interesting to talk about.

Your post makes it sound like we older folks are something odious that should be avoided.

It's too bad your first post is written in a negative vein, because actually Cruise Critic is a great resource, and is definitely not meant as just a place to voice complaints. Too bad the name makes it sound like it's for the gripers of the cruise world.

• Like 1

Look at the Paul Gauguin cruises. It is a line made for active adults since it primarily revolves around water activities in port. Activities on board are things like lectures by Cousteau, native dance troupes, and Polynesian crafts. No Bingo, no art auctions, no hairy chest contests.

Caution: If you are someone who likes to be entertained instead of finding entertainment in talking to people, then this line isn't for you.

Oceania has great itineraries. the food is good and the specialty restaurants have no extra charge. They have 2 classes of ships: R class holds about 700 passengers and O class holds almost twice as many. The luxury ships are also smaller with excellent food and hold even fewer passengers. Most of the luxury class also have much larger state rooms.

Princess, Azamara and P&O also have the former R class ships that hold about 700 passengers

Retired, but not elderly or conservative, couple seeks small ship cruise with like-minded people who welcome diverse opinions and experiences, food with flavor, and social activities that don't include bingo?

Do I understand: young, retired, flashy, bingo-hating - but willing to associate with mature, employed, interactive foodies - some of whose views might differ when it comes to bingo?

I am a bit confused by the OP's post. Put any group of people together and you will always find some diversity of opinion, class, etc. This would fit the definition of every cruise we have taken (probably 100+) on about 60 different ships of all sizes varying from 20 passenger to 3600 passenger. The size of the ship had little to do with the type of folks we met as there are always some interesting people, some not so interesting, and a few we would prefer to avoid.

As to "small ship" one needs to define this these days. In my world a ship with fewer then 800 is a small cruise ship. But for folks that cruise on ships like the Oasis of the Seas....they might consider an 1800 person ship small.

As to BINGO, DW and I can truthfully say that despite having spent more then 3 years on cruise ships (as passengers) we have never played a single game of BINGO :). Cruise Directors must offer a variety of activities to try and please everyone, but that does not mean that passengers need participate.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Retired, but not elderly or conservative, couple seeks small ship cruise with like-minded people who welcome diverse opinions and experiences, food with flavor, and social activities that don't include bingo?

River cruises

Sailing yachts (like Crystals new yachts and the sailing ships)

If you go on any of the mass market lines, there WILL be bingo.

Isn't this a contradiction? You want "diverse" opinions, but only if they come from "like-minded" people? Hmmm.

Perhaps you might look at Windstar Cruises?

• Like 1

OP might be interested in knowing that while most ships do have Bingo, many cruise lines don't have Cruise Directors screaming out on a PA that Bingo will start in 10 minutes in a certain venue....so most cruisers who aren't interested don't even know that it is taking place.

I agree Oceania is a good fit, although it might skew to an older demographic depending on the itinerary. I view it as the closest thing to a floating hotel in the below luxury group. I've never cruised Windstar, but that came to mind when reading the post.

One of the joys of cruising is meeting different people of all ages and sharing experiences. On one cruise we (retired, not elderly and definitely young in mind if not body) shared a table with a couple in their early 30s, another in their 50s and a third couple in their 80s. The flow of conversation (and wine!) made the cruise for us.

You do realise that you don't have to play bingo if you don't want to?

You've got to be in pretty good shape to travel, because it is exhausting. Whatever "old" people you run into, they are going to be pretty spry and sharp, because travel is not for the weak. I am always impressed with people we meet who are 75 plus who can keep on going....they give me hope that we won't have to give up travel.

Also, OP, HAL has smaller ships and has the incorrect reputation of being only for "old" people.

• Thanks 1

I am a bit confused by the OP's post. Put any group of people together and you will always find some diversity of opinion, class, etc. This would fit the definition of every cruise we have taken (probably 100+) on about 60 different ships of all sizes varying from 20 passenger to 3600 passenger. The size of the ship had little to do with the type of folks we met as there are always some interesting people, some not so interesting, and a few we would prefer to avoid.

As to "small ship" one needs to define this these days. In my world a ship with fewer then 800 is a small cruise ship. But for folks that cruise on ships like the Oasis of the Seas....they might consider an 1800 person ship small.

As to BINGO, DW and I can truthfully say that despite having spent more then 3 years on cruise ships (as passengers) we have never played a single game of BINGO :). Cruise Directors must offer a variety of activities to try and please everyone, but that does not mean that passengers need participate.

Hank

In the (short?) time I've cruised, I've not been involved in any bingo games either. No hairy leg contests either.

Crystal has some interesting on board activities on sea days - movies, classes, and lectures (as well as the more traditional bingo, trivia, and golf lessons). On my last cruise, one of my table mates was learning Spanish, and another was learning to take and edit movies on her tablet. The food is wonderful; I highly recommend them. Their ships aren't small (about 1,000 passenger capacity), but they are uncrowded and relaxingly calm.

Edited by calliopecruiser

As far as I know bingo is optional on all ships.

In fact the only mandatory activities are the muster drill at the beginning of the cruise and debarkation at the end.

I don't know . . . the bingo police forced me to play a couple of times. :rolleyes: And that was on X, it was either go along with them or have Art Gallery announcements every afternoon.

• Haha 1

I don't know . . . the bingo police forced me to play a couple of times. :rolleyes: And that was on X, it was either go along with them or have Art Gallery announcements every afternoon.

Any time we went on X, the only announcement was a daily update from the captain. I'll admit it's been a few years since I was on X so wondering if the no announcements has changed?

Maybe they need to find those rotten burglars that rob me every single cruise. You know those one arm bandits... at least that is the story I tell my DH. :eek: I mess up my hair and rumble my clothes just before I tell him my said story. He already knows about the bingo police though.

Edited by notentirelynormal