Time I need to be at MDR for dinner.

jehle21

Most cruise lines want you there at the indicated time - which in your case would be 6. If you arrive late you will certainly still be served but you may also be holding up service for your table mates (if you are sharing a table) or causing your wait staff to have to do extra service to catch you up with others being served.

It really is just a matter of courtesy to others who may be at your table or to the wait staff who have a fixed time frame to serve several courses that are prepared and served in order. Keep in mind there are hundreds of passengers being served in a specific time frame - it's not like a land based restaurant serving individuals who arrive at different times, reservations or not. There is also a late seating that will follow, so service time is critical to provide you a relaxed meal, clean up, and reset for the next seating.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

With Traditional Dining you will need to be no later than 10 minutes.

No real problem ... the Buffet is open. :D

Yep...if for some reason you fall asleep at 5:45 or otherwise occupied;), you can always have dinner at the buffet.

There's a certain rhythm for the waitstaff when it comes to serving. And if you're at a table with other tablemates, the waiter may hold off taking orders of the others until you show up or if a certain amount of time elapses.

I am traveling on Carnival with 6 pm dining .... What time do you need to be at dining room? If you are late do you not get to eat or how's that work?

doors open promptly at 6, maybe 5 minutes before.

to arrive more than 5-10 minutes late is considered unacceptable.

you throw everything off, especially if you have dining companions. the wait staff waits until everyone is seated before they begin service. after 10 minute or so they will not make anyone else wait so if you come in in the middle you have to catch up.

also they want to serve the same course to all table at the same time.

if you know you will be late please inform the waitstaff.

doors open promptly at 6, maybe 5 minutes before.

to arrive more than 5-10 minutes late is considered unacceptable.

you throw everything off, especially if you have dining companions. the wait staff waits until everyone is seated before they begin service. after 10 minute or so they will not make anyone else wait so if you come in in the middle you have to catch up.

also they want to serve the same course to all table at the same time.

if you know you will be late please inform the waitstaff.

Good points in answering a question which really should not have needed to be asked. Is it really that tough to figure out what time it is appropriate to show up for a 6:00 PM reservation?

On the first night I would get there early like 5:45 or so because there is usually a line as it takes longer that first day because they have to show everyone to their tables.

After that, hopefully people would remember where their table is and go right to it. If your time is 6pm I would plan on getting there at 6pm..

Must be getting old, I remember when they'd shut the doors about 15 mins after dnng time.

When there is fixed time dining, they usually close the doors after 10 or sometimes 15 minutes. If you have not arrived by then, you will not be seated.

When there is fixed time dining, they usually close the doors after 10 or sometimes 15 minutes. If you have not arrived by then, you will not be seated.

Thanks I was puzzled by answers above me saying you won't miss dinner.

I am traveling on Carnival with 6 pm dining .... What time do you need to be at dining room? If you are late do you not get to eat or how's that work?

At the stated time, give or take 5 minutes or so. It does take a few minutes for everyone to get seated.

This is going to sound terrible, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Are you seriously planning to be late, show up any time you like, and inconvenience everybody in sight?

Or are you simply wondering what would happen if something unexpectedly caused you to be late. If that happens and you'll be more than a very few minutes late, then I think you should do the courteous thing and go eat in the buffet.

See? I said it was going to sound terrible. :D

I am going to be mean and nasty. If you are dining at a table with other folks, they expect you to show-up on time. Your waiter will generally not provide service to your table until everyone arrives. So if you come late, you are just being rude and disrespectful of the others at your table. If you have a table for 2, then you can arrive a little late...although that is not being polite to your waiters. But at some point (and it varies depending on the Maitre'd ) they will simply stop anyone from arriving for a set sitting (this is not a problem with open dining as long as you arrive within the set time frames). We have been on cruises where they would stop arrivals after 20 minutes...and have been on other ships where they might let it go a bit later. But since you are dining at Early Sitting, and they need to clear out the MDR before the late seating, you will have less leeway. So if you do not want to comply with the rules then you can dine in other venues (like the Lido buffet or alternative restaurants (with a reservation)) or perhaps order room service.

I should add that one reason DW and I prefer late dining is that there is never a real rush. Since there is no later dining group the waiters are under less pressure. When we do open sittings we seldom go to the MDR before 8 pm for the same reason.

And we will share a true story from another cruise line when we had a fixed late sitting (8pm) at a table of 8. It was a 14 day cruise and the first night 6 of us were at our table on time, and the last couple arrived about 8:30. The 2nd night the same 6 of us were on time and the other couple again arrived around 8:30. One of our tablemates politely told them that they were supposed to be at the table around 8 and they just laughed and said they like more time to enjoy their cocktail hour. The third night that couple arrived about 8:30....but they had that large table to themselves. The rest of us spoke to the Maitre 'd who was very understanding and put us at another table. So that couple enjoyed the rest of their cruise by themselves with 6 empty chairs at their table (the Maitre d would not move them to another table).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Now, I am confused.

How can they close the doors 10 or 15 minutes after serving begins since the "Your Time" diners will still be coming in?

QTPie :confused:

The "Your Time" diners will be in the "Your Time" section - possibly even a separate dining room. it appears OP got (possibly because he requested) "Your Time" -- if he does not want 6:00 dining, he should request a change - to show minimal courtesy to his table mates and the dining room staff.

Since the OP only has 11 posts I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt as a newbie really just making sure they are doing what they are supposed and genuinely wanted to know the procedure. Now OP knows.

I agree. Totally legit question for someone who has never cruised before. I would think that they were wondering if they should arrive earlier than 6 or right at 6 to be seated.

Wow! I would say thanks but I might get roasted for that!

Nothing like a first time cruiser being berated for a simple question.

For clarification my table mates are my friends so we would be all together and no one else at the table....

I have kids and apparently the roasters are all kidless...

And if I have a 6 reservation I am usually 20 minutes early good to know I can walk in right at 6....however things happen and simply wanted to know if we were running late what protocol was[emoji2]