Insects on cruises?

Kitcatt

Hey, everyone! We're considering our first cruise, and I have a deal-breaker question: what have been your experiences with insects on cruises? Specifically ants. I have an intense ant phobia that made a trip to Cuba somewhat torturous (there were tiny ants in our room, on deck chairs, everywhere). While I expect to see bugs on land in the Carribean et cetera, I'd love to be able to hang out on the boat without fear of a panic attack. I've rarely encountered insects (and never ants) on ships I'm North America, but my Cuban resort experience has me wondering if things are likely to be different near Cuba/the Carribean/Mexico.

Thanks!

I've never seen ants or crawling bugs on a ship...but when in Panama, flying insects DID get into the cabin..lots of gnats and other flying critters.....had to keep the balcony door closed, but they'd get in when you opened it to come or go...

We've been cruising for coming up on 35 years. I can't recall ever seeing any crawlies on board. I'm pretty sure I would remember seeing ants/spiders/any bugs. :eek: No doubt some hitch a ride on board when the ships are reprovisioning, but at least the ships on which we've sailed have done a great job with pest control.

Oh, I do remember one cruise ages ago where we were warned against bringing seashells from the beach back on board. Several cruises before someone had done so, putting the seashells in their bathtub. At least one of the shells had some sort of mites in it. The ship was able to eradicate them, but they didn't want another incident. So - they do take pest control seriously. Don't worry.

You should definitely avoid love bug season if sailing out of Florida ports with your insect phobia.

They can be problematic.

Localized lovebug flights can number in the hundreds of thousands. The slow, drifting movement of the insects is almost reminiscent of snow fall except that the flies also rise in the air. Two major flights occur each year, first in late spring, then again in late summer. In south Florida, a third (but smaller) flight can occur in December.[2] The spring flight occurs during late April and May, and in the summer during late August and September. Flights extend over periods of four to five weeks.

Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

Royal-Caribbean-Freedom-of-the-Seas-Cruise-896.jpg

Royal-Caribbean-Freedom-of-the-Seas-Cruise-897.jpg

Source:http://www.thephotographerswife.com/royal-caribbean-freedom-of-the-seas-cruise-day-1/

ex techie

Had a swarm of little black bugs fly into our cabin at Cabo San Lucas but it was our own fault. It was dark and we left the balcony door open with the lights on.

This thread made me realize that we've seen very few bugs on cruise ships except for the above.

Hey, everyone! We're considering our first cruise, and I have a deal-breaker question: what have been your experiences with insects on cruises? Specifically ants. I have an intense ant phobia that made a trip to Cuba somewhat torturous (there were tiny ants in our room, on deck chairs, everywhere). While I expect to see bugs on land in the Carribean et cetera, I'd love to be able to hang out on the boat without fear of a panic attack. I've rarely encountered insects (and never ants) on ships I'm North America, but my Cuban resort experience has me wondering if things are likely to be different near Cuba/the Carribean/Mexico.

Thanks!

The only thing that I have ever seen on the ship in over 30 cruises are a few flies.

Thanks!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to invest the money in phobia treatment before you travel again. You don't need to suffer like this. Help is available.

We once had a bat nearly fly into our cabin, but I haven't seen insects.

Now a bat would freak me out. :eek:

I have personally not seen any insects in our cabins on ships. We did however help crew get a bird out of the ship by getting it to fly into our room and then out the balcony door.

Now a bat would freak me out. :eek:

I have personally not seen any insects in our cabins on ships. We did however help crew get a bird out of the ship by getting it to fly into our room and then out the balcony door.

The bat may have been chasing insects:eek::cool::p

There a virtually no insects on a ship at sea, because flying insects rarely go more than a mile off shore. They will, of course, come on board while the ship is in port. But the ants won't have time to build ant hills, so you're no more likely to find ants on board than you are in (say) Times Square, New York.