Dining on the sea

Honolulu Blue

Where do you MOST OFTEN eat dinner when you are cruising?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you MOST OFTEN eat dinner when you are cruising?

• Main Dining Room (MDR)
    • Buffet
    • Specialty restaurant (free)
    • Specialty restaurant (a la carte or extra fee)
    • In port
    • Room service
    • Bring my/our own food to eat in cabin
    • Other (please describe)

1 person voted a free speciality restaurant. Care to expand, interested minds want details. :)

I didn't personally vote for this, but I'll give a few examples from Carnival:

* Guy's Burger Joint is free. It only serves burgers and fries. There's seating in the area away from the buffet. It's generally open until 6 PM, which is dinner time for some people.

* The deli is free. It only serves deli sandwiches and (maybe) potato chips. It's located in the buffet area, but away from the buffet itself. It's open until 10 or 11.

* The pizza joint, whatever it's called (it varies by ship), is free. You can guess what's on its menu. It's located a bit away from the buffet and it's open 24/7.

Granted, I'm stretching the definition of "restaurant" to include these, but I couldn't think of anything better to call them.

none of the above.

the MDR actually bores me now. the food is still perfectly edible, but having had the exact same menus for year running I am overt.

I tend to eat in the Suite/Concierge lounge or the Promenade venues, which are neither specialty restaurants( free or otherwise) nor buffets

Breakfast is spent in the suite only breakfast location( typically specialty )

For dinner, usually in the MDR. Usually at least once during a cruise, dinner in a specialty dining room.

Breakfast: prefer Room Service, but, for variety or if I desire something that is not available through Room Service, the MDR or Lido.

Lunch is almost always light fare, in the Lido, after the Noon-time rush is over.

Varies

Breakfast

MDR buffet or RS

Lunch

Above or in port or burger joint

Diner

See above

Just depends on what else we've eaten, what's on the menu, what we fel like,

Toss in a steakhouse about once a week and that's pretty much done and dusted.

We have dinner in either the MDR or a Specialty (extra cost restaurant).

Lunch in the MDR when it's open.

Late risers so breakfast varies.

Much also depends on which cruise line / ship we are sailing!

Edited by OCruisers

I put other. On Celebrity if you book Aqua class you have a private dining room. Suites have their own dining room. Others cannot dine there, the extra fee is built into the upgraded cabin category but I wouldn't call them a specialty restaurant in the sense of a Murano (fee) type restaurant.

I put other. On Celebrity if you book Aqua class you have a private dining room. Suites have their own dining room. Others cannot dine there, the extra fee is built into the upgraded cabin category but I wouldn't call them a specialty restaurant in the sense of a Murano (fee) type restaurant.

My wife is very lactose intolerant. We find that eating in the same MDR with the same Head waiter gets her meals that meet her needs without the need to constantly explain the situation if we changed venues

I'm the oddball here, no surprise. I'll eat my dinner in the buffet or a specialty. I don't eat red meat, so I am always disappointed with offerings in the MDRs - I don't want pasta and there are no good alternative proteins offered (the boring chicken and overcooked fish are nasty). In the buffet, I can whip up a very nice entree-sized salad with variety every night.

Thank you very much for reading and/or responding to this poll.

Note: There is no poll with the CC app on older iphone.

In any case, we split our time primarily between the specialty restaurants and the Terrace Café on Oceania ships (with the occasional MDR meal and Waves lobster/filet mignon sandwiches when in a hurry for lunch). Our "go to" venue when there's no other plans is the Terrace Café (as close as O gets to a buffet -thankfully, it's not self served.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Other for me.

Depends on the Cruise Line:

--Celebrity we eat in the MDR, with a visit or two to the Alternative Restaurants. BLU is wonderful if you select Aqua Class.

--Cunard, the MDR only.

--Oceania and Azamara, both MDR and Alternative Restaurants.

--Holland America, MDR and a few Alternative Restaurants.

--NCL, Only the Alternative Restaurants (UDP), MDR for breakfast/Lunch.

--RCL, Mix of MDR and Alternative Restaurants.

--Princess, always searching for better food, anywhere?

Buffets (breakfast) are great on Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara and HAL. So so, on RCL. Not good on Cunard, NCL or Princess.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

If we are at port, I will choose to eat in port -- trying a local restaurant. If we are at sea, I most often eat in the MDR, though about 1/3 of the time I eat in a specialty restaurant (no extra charge). Never room service unless I am unwell.

I should have said I most often eat DINNER in the MDR -- breakfast is usually the Lido buffet (so I can sit outside), lunch varies between the buffet and the cafe (and rarely the MDR).

Note: There is no poll with the CC app on older iphone.

Noted. Next time I'll try harder to repeat the gist of the poll so that everyone can follow along.

Again, thanks everyone. I expected the MDR to be popular among this crowd, but I didn't expect quite this big of a margin. Learn something new every day.