upgrades

styme123

One upgrade when I had booked a GTY, but never when I already had a cabin.

Same here.

Over 30 Princess cruises,never offered an upgrade, paid or free, when I selected my cabin, and the only time I was upgraded was on a semi-last minute guarantee booking for the lowest type of inside cabin, and was given a complimentary upgrade to the highest category of inside cabin. What it was was just a move to a "better" location.

Since I often cruise solo, I would welcome an offer for a lower cost upgrade to a better category (such as OV to balcony), but don't expect anything like that because as a solo cruiser, Princess considers me an unprofitable cruiser.

Edited by flamomo

How often are you offered upgrades once your booked?

There is no rhyme or reason how and when upgrades/upsells are offered.

I would not count on anything being offered.

If it is then it will be a good surprise if not you won't be disappointed.

As stated sometimes never. :(

4 Cruises, 3 Upsell/Upgrades.

All came when we had booked mini-suites with selected cabins & fully paid!

1st: 2 months prior to cruise, 2nd: 1 week prior, 3rd: 1 month prior.

We are again booked in a Mini and of course don't expect but would certainly welcome an Upsell/Upgrade offer.

Just Mike

Two upgrades.

First time was a gty forward balcony on a lower deck that was upgraded to a much better balcony higher up and mid-ship.

Second time was a forward, inside cabin (not gty) to a mid-ship Caribe Deck handicapped accessible balcony. Very large cabin, large bathroom, large balcony. It was totally unexpected. :)

We've had several upgrades to a higher category within our class (obstructed view to better obstructed view, basic balcony to better balcony) and a few upgrades to a higher class (obstructed view to unobstructed, including once to a balcony).

We've only been offered an upsell once, a couple of weeks before a cruise. The offer was to move from a guaranteed balcony cabin to a suite. We decided to stick with our balcony since it was just a short cruise. We also received a move-over offer once on an oversold cruise. We couldn't adjust our travel dates because DH teaches. Princess eventually found someone to take the deal (or an even better one).

How often are you offered upgrades once your booked?

We have taken 23 cruises on Princess. On our second one we had booked a mini-suite in the 2nd highest category. We were offered an upgrade. I was not informed of whether it was an upgrade to the highest category of mini-suite or to a full suite. We declined it because we had relatives in the cabin adjacent to the one we had booked. Since then we have never been offered and upgrade or an upsell. But then we always book our cruises well in advance so we can get the cabin we want and would probably decline an upgrade offer.

From what I have seen posted about upgrades, they seem to be offered more often to relatively new cruisers rather than those with many cruises under their belt.

Two upgrades: once from an Aloha deck balcony to a mid-ship mini on Dolphin. Liked the mini-, hated the location. Second upgrade was on the Pacific Princess last December from an oceanview to the Owner's suite. Princess oversold GTYs and had over 20 oceanview GTYs to fill in less than 48 hours. Move over offers weren't working. My sister and I each had an oceanview so Princess could assign two GTYs with one upgrade. It was nice but I wouldn't do it again.

OP, Princess does sometimes give free upgrades, but upsell a are becoming more common. We have received an upsell offer on each of our last 3 cruises. We accepted 2 out of the 3. The last one we rejected because for us it would be like paying for a downgrade since we were already in our fav stateroom. All 3 of our offers have specified for Captain's Circle members, and 2 of them specified Platinum and above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have a feeling that upgrades happen on new cruisers or people who have come back to cruising on Princess.

You don't really hear of them often, but when you do it's always exciting. :)

Upsells seem to be more common than the freebie upgrade, but I have been lucky ONCE (on 9 princess cruises) and that was two cruises ago. I was super happy because we had booked a last minute cruise, but we were by the laundry area. RIGHT before the cruise we were upgraded from an inside to an obstructed oceanview. We were so happy.

However, we don't want to be disappointed ever on a cruise so we tend to book far in advance in a Cabin we want. We also usually mark our RSVP do not upgrade.

We've had a few upsells (3 different cruise lines) and a couple free upgrades. A couple of times we requested an upsell by directly calling Princess when we saw a cabin available that was an upgrade and very little additional cost to what we had already paid. Recently we were offered an upsell even after I instructed my TA to mark it no upgrades. When he called to tell me about it I jumped on it. It was an upsell from a great window cabin on Lido to a Window suite for a great price. I'll take that one any day.

I just took an upsell last week from a balcony to a mini for $99 per person for our upcoming Crown 7 day cruise. Last year I had a mini booked and was offered an upsell to a suite for $199 per person. Since it was only a 4 day cruise I declined it. Also last year the upgrade fairy paid us a visit from a mini to the owners suite. Really nice. This cruise makes us elite. I should have been elite already but somehow Princess did not count two cruises I had taken without my husband and I had no way to prove it. We are both at 14 when I should be at 16.

I guess I can just wait and see. Maybe the odds will be in my favor since this is our first cruise and first cruise with Princess. The only thing is there are 7 of us so we have 4 rooms all together. I guess I'd have to see if an upgrade is worth splitting up the room locations.:)

When we first started cruising Princess we were offered upgrades on our first 2 cruises, declined them because we booked a cabin that we liked the location. Then we learned about marking your booking no upgrade. Haven't had anything after that which makes since.

Best downsell was 7 yrs. ago on Caribbean Princess when, 3 days before sailing, Princess said that if we'd give up our balcony cabin and take an inside cabin on Lido Deck they'd give us all our money back. Yessss! I was told to come down to the desk the last day and they'd give me a check. Was I surprised when, instead of a check, they started peeling off $100 bills, 30 of them.