Holiday gifts for staff

Weluv2cruise2007

We have cruise over Xmas several times and always leave a little stocking with a few trinkets and a tip for our steward.Today someone told me staff are not permitted to accept gifts other than cash. Does anyone know this to be true? This sounds ridiculous and I would hate to think all the little gifts people leave go in the garbage.

We have cruise over Xmas several times and always leave a little stocking with a few trinkets and a tip for our steward.Today someone told me staff are not permitted to accept gifts other than cash. Does anyone know this to be true? This sounds ridiculous and I would hate to think all the little gifts people leave go in the garbage.

No its not true as far as I know.

IMO........

Although remember crew have limited space and would appreciate cash more then anything.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They go in the garbage anyway. Staff are not pets to throw a bone to and are not family or friends. You think you are being kind but you don't know a thing about the crew's preferences. They have tiny cabins they share with others and no room for knick knacks. If you give cash they can buy what they need and want and it takes no space in their cabin and is always the right color and size.

They may even seem overjoyed at the small gift but that's what they are supposed to do, act politely.

I'm sure it goes in the trash as soon as they get to their cabin.

I think the gifts are more about the giver feeling good about themselves than the actual thought of the recipient. You don't know these people so how could you buy a gift for them?

Just leave an extra cash tip and a nice comment on the card. That's what they want and need.

They go in the garbage anyway. Staff are not pets to throw a bone to and are not family or friends. You think you are being kind but you don't know a thing about the crew's preferences. They have tiny cabins they share with others and no room for knick knacks. If you give cash they can buy what they need and want and it takes no space in their cabin and is always the right color and size.

Wow did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed? So just because someone is not a family member or friend you compare them to a pet? Perhaps I should have been more specific...last time we left a few locally made chocolates/candies and of course a tip - it's not like I'm buying them an outfit!

This thread, or one very like it, surfaces every year at about this time ...... and ALWAYS degenerates into a "cash versus gift" controversy, with the gifter-types always having to explain themselves. FWIW, personally I wouldn't carry little "Christmas gifts" for the taxi driver that takes me to the hotel or terminal, or for the pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel staff, or for my stateroom steward, or for the folks who serve my meals, but I would be prepared tip all of them, if appropriate.

...VTX-Al

Although like others I think extra cash is the best way to go, edibles, such as quality chocolates, would most likely be appreciated, and probably shared. I would stay away from other items.

They have access to all sorts of food, including chocolate, what they need most is cash.

Rather than give an individual gift, we bought some very nice Swiss chocolates and asked the head waiter to pass them out to dining room staff. We got a lot of smiles and thanks from the the dining room staff.

On a South Pacific cruise we spoke to a crew member who advised that they liked American chips. If I could transport them without crushing them I would bring a couple of bags.

Of course, cash is king. One crew member told us once he was saving to buy a fancy camera and our tip would help him along!

Extra cash tips if the service impressed you a cruise any time of the year; but I don't think "holiday" gift-giving, although well-intended, makes sense. What might be a holiday to you isn't necessarily a holiday to people from other cultures and countries.

The whole concept seems to be unique to cruising. I've stayed at hotels and land resorts for a number of days during the holidays. You just don't hear the guests discussing what they're going to give the staff for a holiday present.

Best to give them cash, instead of little "gifts". Space is at a premium in the staff quarters.

Wow did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed? So just because someone is not a family member or friend you compare them to a pet? Perhaps I should have been more specific...last time we left a few locally made chocolates/candies and of course a tip - it's not like I'm buying them an outfit!

Perhaps "you" need to feel good buying useless trinkets that end up in the trash. If you really wanted the answer to your question you got it, no trinkets but it's not the answer you expected.

I have no barometer to know if they are being paid better to do service work on ship as compared to similar service jobs on shore in a resort town, say Las Vegas.

If working in Las Vegas:

o difficult to get into the USA legally to be able to work at such a job

o Would have to pay rent somewhere and pay for all food

o Would have U.S. income tax and scoial security deducted from pay

So even if they could get into the USA to work and even if the hourly pay rate was better, chances are they would end up with less money after paying for rent, food and U.S. taxes.

The only time I cruised over Christmas, I gave my cabin steward a Swiss Army Knife (I think he was a Muslim though).

But was he actually Swiss?

Seriously though; a guy that does your cabins will appreciate your auto-gratuities but in addition a nice pen, or cracking device to wedge cabin doors open could be well received.

Regards John

Seriously though; a guy that does your cabins will appreciate your auto-gratuities but in addition a nice pen, or cracking device to wedge cabin doors open could be well received.

Regards John

You must be kidding? A pen???? they can get Princess pens by the dozen and there are door stops for every cabin. Yeah, just what a steward wants, a personalized door stop. Perhaps you could get a gold plated one with his/her name engraved on it. :rolleyes:

All you goody-two shoes are just trying to make yourselves feel better by giving 'junk' to strangers for the holiday. I personally saw a cabin steward graciously accept a bag of chocolates from a passenger in Estonia. As soon as the giver was out of sight, the steward threw the bag in the garbage.

The staff is there for one reason only, cold hard cash. If you don't want to give cash, then give nothing. Do you work for bags of chocolate, cheap pens or door stops?

I can't believe you bring gifts to restaurants, stores or hotels at holiday times and give them out to complete strangers just because they brought you a cup of coffee, sold you a sweater or made your bed.

I am definitely not a Scrooge, but let's get real here folks. These people are NOT your friends.

I can tell you from experience that "trinkets" and "tat" will go straight into the bin. Crew do not have room in their cabins for such items and they certainly do not have luggage space to carry home 9 months worth of crap given to them by passengers. As many have already said in previous posts, cash and a nice note is really appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app