How do you stay healthy on a cruise?

redbaron70

Hello all,

My teenage daughter was sick for half of our last cruise with norovirus. Needless to say, it was horrible. We have another cruise coming up, and she's nervous about getting sick again. Here are my plans to keep her (and the rest of us) healthy:

- Wiping down the cabin with Clorox wipes when we arrive

- No touching of handrails

- Avoiding the buffet as much as possible

- No hot tubs

- Very frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitizer

Am I missing anything? I'm really not a germophobe, but I want to do everything I can to avoid a repeat of our last experience.

Thanks!

You have what is by far the most important at the bottom of your list: HANDWASHING! Not touching your hands to your face unless right after washing them is job number one.

And far more important than not touching handrails, elevator buttons, and buffet utensils is: public restrooms. Don't. Just don't. Go back to your cabin bathroom as often as you can.

And save yourself the effort of wiping down your cabin: Clorox wipes kill bacteria, not germs. So a little exposure to said bacteria will keep your immune system alert. Plus don't forget your cabin steward will be traipsing in at least twice a day carrying the detritus of two dozen other cabins on his uniform.

Some folks get obsessive about staying healthy on cruises, and likely get sick due to increased anxiety. But seriously, DW and I have spent well over 3 years on cruise ships (as passengers) and have managed to never get noro (knock on the hull) or any other serious illness. We have had our share of so-called "cabin cough" on long cruises, but have found a strategy to minimize that problem. So what to do? Wiping down a cabin might make you feel good, but is likely of little help. After all, your steward is in your cabin several times a day, the person who services your fridge is in your cabin to check inventory, repair guys might be in your cabin to do maintenance, etc. And you go out of your cabin, and touch things all over the ship and then come back to the cabin.

So understand that Noro can only happen if the virus gets in your mouth, nose, or eyes. And the best prevention for Noro is to simply wash your hands with warm soap and water...and do it often. Otherwise. discipline yourself to not touch your face. As to buffets, we just use common sense. Yes, eating any food is a risk, but not eating is no fun :). We also avoid elevators as much as possible (they are enclosed chambers where you are doomed by anyone who sneezes or coughs) and spend a lot of time out on deck getting fresh air (and humidity for our mucous membranes).

As to hot tubs, we have been using them for about forty years and have never had a problem. On cruise ships they are now carefully monitored and use chemicals to deal with potential germs/viruses. You might also want to consider a tip we were given by a CDC Physician who we met on a cruise a few years ago. The expert told us that a popular theory among his colleagues (supported by some data) is that most Noro issues on ships are caused by passengers who contract the virus on commercial planes and in airports...and bring them aboard. Planes are among the dirtiest places you can go....and worst place on a plane is apparently your tray table. But we are very careful on flight....to wash our hands...and carefully avoid touching our face.

In the end you do need some luck to stay healthy. But following a few basic steps can help make some of your own luck.

Hank

P.S. A good and healthy friend of mine has a theory that one should drink lots of alcohol on trips. His theory is that alcohol kills germs and some virues :).

P.P.S. Most wipes and hand sanitizers are ineffective against Noro.

Edited by Hlitner

Big, big key to healthy cruising for everyone, but especially for kids: don't eat anything with your fingers. Burgers, fries, pizza should all be eaten with utensils. If your hands have picked up the virus from serving utensils, they then contaminate the finger food, and you then eat that food.

There is no sure defense, but frequent hand washing is important --- as is keeping your hands away from your face. The way you get infected is by the virus entering your body through your mouth, nose or eyes --- and the virus only gets near your mouth, nose or eyes is if your hands bring them there.

Keeping your hands clean and away from your face is the best you can do.

Gosh, this is scary! Is it really that bad? I'm excitedly waiting for our first cruise, but reading things like this really puts me off :/

I've spent a thousand days on cruise ships and never once caught noro, and I don't wipe down everything in sight. I use good personal hygiene, and if noro is present, I don't eat with my fingers.

I agree with Hank, that whatever anyone does to make themselves feel better, as far as wiping things down with disinfectants, etc., go for it, but it's not mandatory in order to have a healthy cruise.

We've cruised 30 some times and never had noro or anything else. We take just normal precautions of hand washing; we may be just lucky or have good immune systems, I don't know, but it's not something that is a given or extremely common.

My husband does seem to get some kind of respiratory gunk quite often when flying, so we are more careful there. Whether it does any good or not, we have been using a product in our nostrils when flying; we use boroleum, but it smells a lot like Vick's vapo rub, so probably similar ingredients. We haven't had issues for a couple of years, whether because of this or not.

I'm not sure what the time lapse is between picking up noro virus and actually getting sick, but I suspect some cases on the cruise ship were acquired previously to boarding. Noro is one of the most common viruses and found in many places; most of us have had it and just called it stomach flu.

Noro virus sounds so much worse!

I do the same thing on a cruise ship as I do on land which is essential nothing. I guess that some people are the "get sick" types and some are the "stay well" types. Luckily so far I have been in the "stay well" group. Must be genetics.

DON

This may seem dumb, but it has always stayed with me! Everyone talks about washing their hands, but how many people really wash their hands correctly! In the bathroom I see people dip their hands under the tap and on their way!

When I first worked in healthcare, non-nursing staff, I was instructed how to wash my hands - I thought I knew! Lots of soap and comfortably hot water and lots of rubbing and then rinsing, and using a clean towel to open the door. I really try and have been very fortunate not to get sick.

Hello all,

My teenage daughter was sick for half of our last cruise with norovirus. Needless to say, it was horrible. We have another cruise coming up, and she's nervous about getting sick again. Here are my plans to keep her (and the rest of us) healthy:

- No hot tubs

Am I missing anything? I'm really not a germophobe, but I want to do everything I can to avoid a repeat of our last experience.

Thanks!

We try to be careful, and avoid the buffets, and yes wash the hands often.

Before we cruise we make sure we take our vitamens, get plenty of rest because we know once on board it is non stop hecticness.

Safe travels.

Hello all,

- No hot tubs

Thanks!

Hi there

While I am sure that it was really uncomfortable for her, I think that if she can't feel comfortable about going on the trip there is nothing that you say that will convince her that it will be alright..

The reality is that most people don't get sick. You didn't get sick. If she had done everything that you are suggesting now, she still might have gotten sick.

You say you are not a germaphobe, do you want her to feel that is the way to protect herself. Most people don't wipe down things with wipes. Most people don't avoid touching things on the ship. Most people don't avoid the buffet. What you do, what she does, is up to you. No question in my mind that frequent hand washing is necessary, but that is not exclusive to a cruise ship.

All I am saying is that most people (I mean a large number) don't do these things and they don't get sick.

just a different perspective

We don't do anything any different on ships than we do at home to stay healthy. :)

Presumably not too many people that you do not know live in your home.

We heavily sanitize the ship cabin ,use Purell (our own ,not just the washy washy) .We use paper towels to open public bathroom doors and never let our body touch anything in the bathroom.

Neither one of us has ever been sick on a Cruise. As someone poste we too are part of the stay well community. We take the same precautions on a Cruise as we do no matter where we are or what we are doing. I draw the line when it comes to eating a hot dog or a hamburger with a knife and fork. No way.

Every cruise I have been on which is always in the wintertime, I get a horrible chest & head cold and cough. I sure would like some tips on how to avoid this. It would be so nice not to come home sick [emoji40]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nasal moisturizer would probably be the best. The ship's AC tends to create a very low humidity, which dries out the mucus membranes, which allow germs an easy path into you.

Hello all,

- No hot tubs

Thanks!

First thing is to tell you that we have never had noro on a ship.

If wiping the cabin down makes you feel better, then do it. You have to remember though that you and your family are not the only ones who will be walking into your cabin.

On the handrails... walking up or down steps without using handrails is a good way to be injured in a fall. In rough seas when walking back to your cabin it is much safer to at least make some contact with the hand rails.

The buffet... we are fairly new to cruising, only 17 cruises for 207 nights, but I can count on less than all of my fingers how many times we have eaten in the MDR. We eat pretty much always in the buffet regardless of what cruise line or ship. I am vegetarian and it is much easier for me to find the variety of food I will eat in the buffet.

On the hot tubs... not sure how this would cause noro. Noro has to enter the mouth, face or eyes. So I guess if the head goes underwater it is possible.

Very frequent hand washing... Bingo! Now you are on to something. Do you and your daughter know how to properly wash your hands? A lot of people don't.

To wash hands properly you need soap and hot (not burning) water, wash the hands... top up to above wrists, front, back, between fingers, scrub your hands and clean under nails while doing this, wash the hands for the amount of time it takes to sing the 'happy birthday song slowly, twice'. Dry with clean paper towel and use towel to open the door.

Hands must be washed thoroughly, at the very least, before and after using the restroom. As soon as you come back to your cabin. Before eating anything. Wash hands frequently, and have your daughter learn to not ever touch her face unless she has just washed her hands. Hands should stay completely away from the mouth, the nose and the eyes because that is where the noro virus will enter.

All of the above on hand washing should be a part of our every day lives. If it is a habit we live with, then we are likely to do it automatically.

I hope your family has a wonderful next cruise. :)

Thanks for the helpful replies. I fly frequently for work and have been on nine cruises and have never gotten sick as a result, but believe me, if you've had or witnessed someone with noro, I'm pretty sure you'd understand my feelings and not consider it an overreaction. If you haven't had it, thank your lucky stars!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the helpful replies. I fly frequently for work and have been on nine cruises and have never gotten sick as a result, but believe me, if you've had or witnessed someone with noro, I'm pretty sure you'd understand my feelings and not consider it an overreaction. If you haven't had it, thank your lucky stars!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My one and only experience with noro was in Lake Tahoe years ago. Ultimately I had to be taken to an ER because I was so dehydrated. I do understand how bad it can be.