Just off Brilliance- credit card hacked

webteach

Fortunately Chase fraud dept caught it after purchases at Target.com and Walmart.com. BestBuy.com was next - for $1400!!! Tried Apple.com, also.

I know this is from the cruise because I only use this credit card for travel and Brilliance charges were all it was open for.

Anyone else have this experience?

No.

Did you use the card just while ON the cruise for on-board purchases? Or did you use it pre cruise for the deposit and final payments. If so did you do this on-line through a web browser?

Did you use the card in port?

Shortly after booking a Med cruise on Celebrity a couple of years ago, my Chase credit card online account showed a charge for several expensive tickets to a European concert. Chase immediately cancelled the charge and issued a new card. Again, this was a card used solely for travel.

No.

Did you use the card just while ON the cruise for on-board purchases? Or did you use it pre cruise for the deposit and final payments. If so did you do this on-line through a web browser?

Did you use the card in port?

I used it for all things RCCL and nothing else. Wait til they try to get their final onboard $$ tomorrow and the card is closed!

To make sure no one else from RC doesn't steal card numbers anymore?

j/k....trolllll

If you use your card online, especially if it's set to make recurring payments (like if your TA or rccl stores it to make the final payment automatically); that would be the first place I'd suspect of fraud. The only time you hand ur card over to a person is when starting your account at check in, and that's done in front of you. Retailers store cc numbers and those files get hacked and stolen and that causes a lot of the fraud. See no reason to assume an employee at RCCL is to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fortunately Chase fraud dept caught it after purchases at Target.com and Walmart.com. BestBuy.com was next - for $1400!!! Tried Apple.com, also.

I know this is from the cruise because I only use this credit card for travel and Brilliance charges were all it was open for.

I would call Royal Caribbean post cruise, but also there are ways to get the number while travelling through the airport, taxi, ports etc by scanning them. The best protection is a secure RFID wallet.

The best protection is a secure RFID wallet.

I'd suggest checking your charges daily as the best protection. For most folks getting your CC info hacked is a matter of when not if. So knowing it happened ASAP is the best way to solve the issue.

RFID skimming may make for an interesting video, but it is probably a drop in the ocean compared to other ways criminals get CC info.

Edited by Biker19

We always call credit card company with our travel dates. Let them know the day and port or city we will be in and when we return. This way they can stop anything that doesn't look right. We keep different cards for internet and travel.......................RADICAL

Credit cards are "hacked" millions of times all the time from millions of sources. Why does it matter if it happened with RCCL compared to anywhere else?

A couple of years back it was discovered that there was at least one front desk person at wdw skimming cards. Many people had reported having their cards used fraudulently shortly after Disney trips.

Many people, including me, quotes back to them just about what you said. The most common skimmer is a server who takes your card in the back, watch for gas stations, etc etc. that it almost certainly had been done months before and now the Ukrainian criminals have made a card and are finally now using it.

But in the case of those who had their cards skimmed at wdw and then used in the Orlando area, that wasn't the case.

We sailed 12/17. We got home 12/26. Just after we got home our card, that we had mainly used in the trip, was used at a sporting goods store in Kissimmee. They charged nearly 1k there. This does not feel coincidental. I'm hoping that we are one of many whose cards were used fraudulently in that area and that they can find the problem and stop it. I won't be surprised if it's someone in that area.

Even though officially by the party line (that I used to believe wholeheartedly) that's not the most common thing.

And I know they can be gotten in other ways. My brother has had his card info used twice while his cards were making their ways to him in the mail. Talk about fast work!

I would call Royal Caribbean post cruise, but also there are ways to get the number while travelling through the airport, taxi, ports etc by scanning them. The best protection is a secure RFID wallet.

RFID wallets aren't as secure as you might think (particularly cheap ones) and don't help at all when someone copies down your info and uses it to make a duplicate card. YES! Happened to me.

We were at an Oceania port stop in Charleston- ate at HUSK, shopped at the public market (three different vendor purchases) and bought some essentials at CVS -all on the same chipped CC. Correct charges appeared on next bill. But, the following month, there was a small charge $<20 at a grocery store elsewhere in S.C. (Purchased weeks later than our visit). Called Chase only to find out that it was a physical card swipe on a day when my card was with me at home in California. So, counterfeiting cards is alive and well. Chase cancelled the charge (and the card) and issued me a new account/card.

Did it occur to any of you that your fellow passengers are more likely to have criminal leanings. Board the ship with 3000 people, have a great time and disembark with 300 Credit card numbers! What a great vacation. Why is is always the cruiseline or crew.... JMHO

We always call credit card company with our travel dates. Let them know the day and port or city we will be in and when we return. This way they can stop anything that doesn't look right. We keep different cards for internet and travel.......................RADICAL

We also do it online for our Capital One credit card.

I used it for all things RCCL and nothing else. Wait til they try to get their final onboard $$ tomorrow and the card is closed!

You will have trouble disembarking. Instead of dinging you out it will bong and the security people will quickly rope you in. Happened to us in November on Equinox. Lucky we had a back up card

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just as an FYI, your card can get hacked without you even using it! A few years ago I was traveling, and someone must have had a scanner and "scanned" my purse at the airport. I didn't use my visa on the trip at all. However, by the time I tried to use it the next day, I had been notified of "strange charges" on it, in a city I didn't go to. Fortunately, they blocked the odd charges and froze my account :).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've never felt the need to check my credit card statement daily...you will be notified if there are suspicious charges..and you won't be responsible for them...

This has happened (I'd bet) to almost everyone with a credit card. We once had charged where our card number was "swiped" in a foreign country...and the real card was IN OUR POSSESSION! These crooks are clever.

We were not responsible for the fraudulent charges. It's a good idea to have another card, just in case something goes wrong with your main card!

If you are still onboard and the card is no longer valid count on a delay getting off the ship. Your account will be flagged and security will stop you when you go through the kiosk during disembarking. You will be sent back to Guest Services to pay your bill. Better to get it straightened out before disembarking.

According to one our banks, the travel notification isn't to help prevent fraudulent use by others but to ensure that your legitimate use of the card in a foreign country (or outside your "normal" area of use) isn't flagged as suspicious activity and your card frozen.

Our other bank no longer requires notification:

Should I inform RBC if I'm travelling?

RBC does not require you to provide travel information if you are planning on using your credit card or client card while away from home. RBC’s industry leading fraud detection systems are in place to protect your accounts from suspicious or unauthorized transactions. Please ensure your contact information is up to date in Online Banking by selecting Profile and Preferences from the Banking tab, in the event we may need to reach you at home or while travelling.

According to one our banks, the travel notification isn't to help prevent fraudulent use by others but to ensure that your legitimate use of the card in a foreign country (or outside your "normal" area of use) isn't flagged as suspicious activity and your card frozen.

Our other bank no longer requires notification:

I just checked my main card and it also says notification isn't necessary. Unfortunately though, if they try to get in touch with me by email or phone while I'm on a cruise they won't be able to reach me.

Just as an FYI, your card can get hacked without you even using it! A few years ago I was traveling, and someone must have had a scanner and "scanned" my purse at the airport. I didn't use my visa on the trip at all. However, by the time I tried to use it the next day, I had been notified of "strange charges" on it, in a city I didn't go to. Fortunately, they blocked the odd charges and froze my account :).

I once ordered a new card from AMEX. They called me about fraud charges on the card- before I had even received the card!

Fraud happens, and it may have nothing to do with the people or businesses that used it.

Have had credit card number stolen three times over the years,

but not on a ship.

I DID have someone try to hack my email account while on a ship

once though! :eek: Simple matter to change my password, and

happy Google was on the job there. Very quick to notify me.

Yeah, 5 grand charged to my card for $5k from "vodaphone" out of Portugal. I've never been to Portugal! We were at a hotel overnight stay in Brussels when it went down. Navy Federal took care of it for me.