WHAT the HECK Happened to this site???

flamomo

what's weird is my work computer still has the old format while my laptop at home has the new one...different operating systems?

From what I read on the new board (that addresses issues with the new format), this is still being rolled out. Last week I could see the new format on my tablet (Kindle) and today I'm seeing it on both.

Here is a link to the page everyone should read. At the bottom is a link to where questions can be asked and responded to (hopefully posters won't find it a place to just complain and will just spend a day or two learning how to use the new site).

Just logged in and found that I can't go back to the old format now. They have made some improvements in that I can now see the treads I've been following (highlighted in red) and show any that I've responded to. So it's getting better. Just wish they would move the stuff from the right side of the screen - 25% of my screen - back up to the top and let me see full-screen. The pictures would be so much bigger and better.

Might be just me - using Chrome on a PC.

Just noticed as well.. the Title for the thread is now below the post instead of at the top - which is where most people start.... Title, post.

Based on the post from Cruise Critic management, the new website is being tweaked and will be re-launched. While it took me aback for a few days, I have now embraced it (after working with it for three days). Everything changes - CC has to be able to accommodate hundreds of thousands of posts. Hopefully their website will make it easier to accomplish that.

Whether this brings in more revenue for them or not is really not our concern since we don't pay a penny to be here yet we learn a ton of information from Cruise Critic and from other posters. IMO, complaining is the worst thing that we can do when CC is providing so much information for us.

Why can't you just admit that the new layout is lousy. Half of the links don't work, and it is painful to navigate.

Why can't you just admit that the new layout is lousy. Half of the links don't work, and it is painful to navigate.

I would be the first to admit it if I thought it was a poor layout. As mentioned previously, I could not see pictures that were being posted earlier this week under the old format - now I can see them perfectly. The very long signatures are mostly suppressed but you can see them if you want to. I have yet to find a link that does not work (this could have to do with the different operating systems, etc. that people are working with). Currently everything is working fine on my Kindle tablets and my desktop. Haven't checked my phone yet.

Admittedly, when I saw it a couple of months ago, I was taken aback for a few minutes. Then I tried it, sent a couple of suggestions to CC (and sent another one today). The way some posters are carrying on, you would think that the sky had fallen or someone died. Sheeesh, websites change all of the time.

A tiny bit off topic but when I purchased a ergonomic mouse a couple of years ago, the manufacturer stated that we would not like it for the first two weeks. And, if we stuck with it, we would like it. They were 100% right -- the first week I was ready to throw it against the wall...... now I would not go back to what I used to have. Things take time and patience.

I would be the first to admit it if I thought it was a poor layout. As mentioned previously, I could not see pictures that were being posted earlier this week under the old format - now I can see them perfectly. The very long signatures are mostly suppressed but you can see them if you want to. I have yet to find a link that does not work (this could have to do with the different operating systems, etc. that people are working with). Currently everything is working fine on my Kindle tablets and my desktop. Haven't checked my phone yet.

Admittedly, when I saw it a couple of months ago, I was taken aback for a few minutes. Then I tried it, sent a couple of suggestions to CC (and sent another one today). The way some posters are carrying on, you would think that the sky had fallen or someone died. Sheeesh, websites change all of the time.

A tiny bit off topic but when I purchased a ergonomic mouse a couple of years ago, the manufacturer stated that we would not like it for the first two weeks. And, if we stuck with it, we would like it. They were 100% right -- the first week I was ready to throw it against the wall...... now I would not go back to what I used to have. Things take time and patience.

I still think there is a problem with the contrast with light blue and a bright white background. It is hard on my eyes but other than that I agree with you that everything seems to be functioning properly.

I understand that any new format takes time getting used to. But this one is very difficult to use. Fortunately I can still use the old format on one of my tablet's. But on my other one ( both of them are using Chrome), it has gone to the new format, without the option to go back to the old one. I HATE all the white space. And I hate the narrow text space. The old format allowed me to enlarge with a simple double tap. Now I can't enlarge at all. If that issue can't be addressed, I'm outta here.

I understand that any new format takes time getting used to. But this one is very difficult to use. Fortunately I can still use the old format on one of my tablet's. But on my other one ( both of them are using Chrome), it has gone to the new format, without the option to go back to the old one. I HATE all the white space. And I hate the narrow text space. The old format allowed me to enlarge with a simple double tap. Now I can't enlarge at all. If that issue can't be addressed, I'm outta here.

I also have issue of not being able to enlarge the print on my Kindles. Suggest that you let CC know through their new Board made specifically for suggestions/problems, etc.

Just logged in and found that I can't go back to the old format now. They have made some improvements in that I can now see the treads I've been following (highlighted in red) and show any that I've responded to. So it's getting better. Just wish they would move the stuff from the right side of the screen - 25% of my screen - back up to the top and let me see full-screen. The pictures would be so much bigger and better.

Might be just me - using Chrome on a PC.

Just noticed as well.. the Title for the thread is now below the post instead of at the top - which is where most people start.... Title, post.

I use Safari on ipad and still can't easily see posts I've read. I agree they should move that righthand stuff back where it used to be.

Trying to scroll down the page with just a finger width between right and left is ridiculous.

Also, we used to be able to choose how many posts per page.

Is this new format easier for those using it on smart phones?

Who, besides TravelCat prefers this new format?

There is a poll on the new format here..... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2452232

But that is still a thread started by a CC member, no guarantee it will be read by the folks who did the new forum.

When I sent an email to community@cruisecritic.com they replied and told me to post in their "bugs and glitches" forum. So I did. The IT guy who is doing the new forum has replied to some folks there so is reading that forum. I suggest folks post their concerns there or at least in an email.

I rebelled at the format when I first saw it but decided yesterday to give it a chance. It seems OK now. Did they reduce the background white to a softer shade? It truly hurt my eyes the first time I tried it when it first appeared. Now it doesn't.

I rebelled at the format when I first saw it but decided yesterday to give it a chance. It seems OK now. Did they reduce the background white to a softer shade? It truly hurt my eyes the first time I tried it when it first appeared. Now it doesn't.

No, it is still doing a number on my eyes.

Originally Posted by biker@sea viewpost.gif

You CAN change it back here= http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profi...do=editoptions

Towards the bottom of the page ( forum skin )

I can't change it at all!!! The option is grayed out at use forum default.

Not liking this at all. Very hard on the eyes.:mad:

That "was" the fix when bike@sea originally posted and it worked but it is no longer an option.

.. . The old format allowed me to enlarge with a simple double tap. Now I can't enlarge at all. If that issue can't be addressed, I'm outta here.

I posted this yesterday. They appear to have fixed this. I can now enlarge easily. Thanks to the tech team for doing that. Still not a fan of the monochromatic color scheme and the small default font size. (yes, I'm a cranky old lady - now get off if my lawn:p)