Interesting New Passport Requirement

Scotty G

The only reason the residents of these states will have to present passports,

is the states involved have failed to comply with the 2005 real ID act.

I would think that 12 years was sufficient time to comply.

Mac

We fly frequently from Pennsylvania (Philly) to South Carolina (Myrtle Beach) but our residence is in Delaware. What are the odds of someone flying to/from two states that are on the list?

This means we don't NEED a passport to fly because of our residence, but of course we do have one, and also a passport card.

I agree that all of these states have had more than enough time to get their act together.

The only reason the residents of these states will have to present passports,

is the states involved have failed to comply with the 2005 real ID act.

I would think that 12 years was sufficient time to comply.

Mac

Well said, Agree. This is no surprise, knew would happen. States had enough time to fix this. Fortunate as I have Enhanced Drivers Licence from Michigan that I use on my annual Repo cruises..

I am not from the US. I have often heard real ID mentioned here. What is it & how do you get it?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

It is all to do with a change in standards for US driving licences and DMV ID cards, some states have not complied with the act. The news here though says they have been given an extra year to get their act together.

REAL ID is a form of identification that requires the ability to prove US Citizenship.

Some States, such as mine, allowed anyone to get a drivers license as long as they could prove residency.

Show the Dept. of Licensing a power bill in your name and a garbage bill in your name and you prove residency.

Pass the drivers test and you get a drivers license with your picture on it that proved identity but not citizenship.

Department of Homeland Security will soon require anyone who flies to show Real ID that shows identity but also proves citizenship.

Thanks. An inconvenience for innocent travelers from listed states with the higher cost of passport as ID.

Talk to your state legislature. They are the ones who have made this possible for you. They knew about the requirements well in advance and refused to comply siting privacy concerns for their state's citizens. Now that the deadline is here, they are all scrambling to come up with a solution.

I am not from the US. I have often heard real ID mentioned here. What is it & how do you get it?

We can get a passport card with our passport booklet that satisfies the Real ID requirements.

REAL ID is a form of identification that requires the ability to prove US Citizenship.

Some States, such as mine, allowed anyone to get a drivers license as long as they could prove residency.

Show the Dept. of Licensing a power bill in your name and a garbage bill in your name and you prove residency.

Pass the drivers test and you get a drivers license with your picture on it that proved identity but not citizenship.

Department of Homeland Security will soon require anyone who flies to show Real ID that shows identity but also proves citizenship.

Actually it is not necessary to show US Citizenship, it is necessary to show that you have legal presence in the US. A Lawful Permanent Resident may obtain a REAL ID compliant license/ID. And this impacts more than just flying. In order to enter any property that is under Federal jurisdiction you must present a REAL ID compliant ID, so you would need it to enter a Federal building, military installation or Federal courthouse also. I didn't read the article but here is a link to DHS's website regarding REAL ID's and according to the info on the first page only two states are non-compliant at this juncture with one other state having an extension to comply https://www.dhs.gov/federal-enforcement.

I just moved to SC from Indiana. When I transferred my Drivers License, we had to present all the documents required to obtain a REAL ID. We were told that starting in October, 2017, SC drivers will be able to go to their local DMV and present the same documents to get a REAL ID compliant drivers license. Since I already presented the needed documents, I can go to the DMV and simply update my license. Until then, I will need to present my passport to fly commercial airlines or to enter a federal building. The restriction officially begins in 2018, but to avoid any problems, I will just use my passport until I change over.

We can get a passport card with our passport booklet that satisfies the Real ID requirements.

But I thought a passport card is also not good for flying or is it just not good for leaving/returning to the US?

I just moved to SC from Indiana. When I transferred my Drivers License, we had to present all the documents required to obtain a REAL ID. We were told that starting in October, 2017, SC drivers will be able to go to their local DMV and present the same documents to get a REAL ID compliant drivers license. Since I already presented the needed documents, I can go to the DMV and simply update my license. Until then, I will need to present my passport to fly commercial airlines or to enter a federal building. The restriction officially begins in 2018, but to avoid any problems, I will just use my passport until I change over.

That's what I heard. I have to get my DL renewed later this year and I'm waiting as long as possible to ensure the DMV have what they need to do it right the first time.

Erika

But I thought a passport card is also not good for flying or is it just not good for leaving/returning to the US? ...

The passport card is good for flying domestically, like the driver's license is now. In other words, if one's state will not have a Real ID compliant driver's license, that person can instead use the passport card to fly domestically.

You would still need a passport booklet to fly internationally.

I wonder if those people who get passports because of this will go on to get Global Entry - which would tend to increase Pre-Check lines at airport security. I sort of hope not - the more people who have it, the more time it will take. In the three or so years we've had it we have enjoyed much time saving - coming through immigration several times, as well as numerous expedited TSA checks. The time and hassle saved have more than justified the cost - but if everyone has it, we'll be back at square one.

CT offers the Real ID license but you don't have to supply documentation, and they will give you one without the gold star. There's a lot of people that think because they live in a state that offers one, they are safe.

It's still a big 'if' they will actually enforce this on January 22nd. There will be thousands of people showing up at airports in all 50 states that do not have a Real ID. Chaos and lots of angry calls to congress.

I renewed my passport last year and got a passport card at same time.

Federal Buildings and airports screen for weapons, explosives, and incendiaries. As those things are the causes of the problems, how does ID improve security when there is no check against any data base?

Federal Buildings and airports screen for weapons, explosives, and incendiaries. As those things are the causes of the problems, how does ID improve security when there is no check against any data base?

Part of the intent behind the REAL ID act is to enhance ID security at the point of issue to make it more difficult to make a phony ID. Once the act goes into total affect you will need a REAL ID compliant ID to enter property under Federal jurisdiction (i.e. a license with the gold star upon it). That's the stick for states being non-compliant I suppose.

Does that mean people without real id will be exempt from federal jury duty since they won't be able to enter the building?

According to a link posted in this thread we're down to two states. One if the 2 states, Michigan, offers enhanced driver's license. Citizens have that option.

The passport card is good for flying domestically, like the driver's license is now. In other words, if one's state will not have a Real ID compliant driver's license, that person can instead use the passport card to fly domestically.

You would still need a passport booklet to fly internationally.

For a non-US citizen, what is a passport booklet? Those of us in Europe and other parts of the world have passports. I'm sure if you wanted to fly internationally you would need a 'proper' passport :)

And personally I find all this 'passport card/ ID/booklet' odd to say the least. We've had passports and driving licences since we were teenagers, as have most people outside the US.

Not being snarky, but why don't US citizens have passports if they want to travel??

Or do they not travel outside the US??

Part of the intent behind the REAL ID act is to enhance ID security at the point of issue to make it more difficult to make a phony ID. Once the act goes into total affect you will need a REAL ID compliant ID to enter property under Federal jurisdiction (i.e. a license with the gold star upon it). That's the stick for states being non-compliant I suppose.

I thought the gold star was for Enhanced DL's, which is not the same as REALID. No?