re meat pies

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That sounded great until I saw the bit at the end - "broccoli". Sorry, whoever invented broccoli should have been shot a dawn.

I'm reminded of a time my wife and I stopped for lunch at The Bakery, Green Hills (Mr Gut will know it). I ordered a pastie and they had put broccoli in it, a pastie with broccoli is not a pastie. Ugh!🤮

I love broccoli, but it definetely doesn't belong in a pastie. Only root veggies go in pasties.

Leigh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Planking is done by some of the BBQ blokes down here but I've never tried it myself. Any smoke taste I usually use the Weber kettle with my smoke timber of choice.

BTW, a 2 person household with a large and a small Weber Kettle, a cast iron charcoal Hibachi, a charcoal spit, and a 4 burner gasser for big family get togethers.

I take it you enjoy a bit of barbeque? I have a Canadian made Napoleon grill, which has a rotisserie.

My brother has a rig that can do a whole pig.

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That sounded great until I saw the bit at the end - "broccoli". Sorry, whoever invented broccoli should have been shot a dawn.

I'm reminded of a time my wife and I stopped for lunch at The Bakery, Green Hills (Mr Gut will know it). I ordered a pastie and they had put broccoli in it, a pastie with broccoli is not a pastie. Ugh!🤮

The best way to eat broccoli is to quickly blanch it, then stirfry it with a little sesame oil added at the end. It should still be crisp.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Had tinned pumpkin soup for lunch, not near as nice as home made. For dinner last night I had a rummage of the freezer and found some minced beef. Then checked the pantry and found some pasta sauces and tomato paste. Good old spag bol was had, with a few added secret herbs and spices.

Spag bog tonight, was going to make burgers, but need something a bit warmer. Mrs G has just made pasta and I’m about to start a sauce.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

If you mean Bakers Cottage, eaten a few of their pasties, never found broccoli in it so far. Got a bit of left over stew in the fridge might grab some pastry (too lazy to make it) and turn it into pasties.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

How do you make home made gnocchi?

The common version is a mix of flour and mashed potato. You can steam, boil or bake the potato depending on your desired texture. For my alternate version I substituted the potato for a broccoli puree. You mix it together in a dough then roll out into ropes that you cut up into small pieces and boil till they float after which I like to pan fry with butter till they are crispy😋.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I love broccoli, but it definetely doesn't belong in a pastie. Only root veggies go in pasties.

Leigh

Pasties veges, carrot, spud, swede, onion, meat of some description. All this food talk, now you have got me joining in..tonight, salmon fish cakes a la birds eye, frozen chips and salad. Simple, like me. Couple of glasses of Hardys Stamp, sem sauv blanc. This thread has become The Foodies Thread inc Meat Pies. Keep it up, I am getting some great menu ideas folks.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The common version is a mix of flour and mashed potato. You can steam, boil or bake the potato depending on your desired texture. For my alternate version I substituted the potato for a broccoli puree. You mix it together in a dough then roll out into ropes that you cut up into small pieces and boil till they float after which I like to pan fry with butter till they are crispy😋.

Thank you.  Sounds tasty!  I often wondered how it was made from scratch.  I've seen the prepared ones you heat up.

I am addicted to smoked salmon, always have a pack in fridge from Aldi. Great for brekkie on toast with cream cheese. Love it on the Princess ships Buffet, they put those trays of smoked salmon out, I go out of control when I see it. In summer i make a potato salad, put smoked salmon into it it and finish with sliced spring onions or shallots whatever you want to call them. Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Tonight we're having pork medallions au jus, with a warm orange and sweet potato salad, and lightly cooked cabbage with red and green capsicum.

Sounds superb that is going on my menus.

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Sounds superb that is going on my menus.

It's really easy. The sweet potato is cut into bite-sized chunks and steamed, then added to halved orange segments and very thinly sliced red onion. The dressing is just mayo thinned with a bit of orange juice.

The cabbage is shredded and similar sized slices of capsicum added, then lightly cooked in a little butter on a low heat.

The pork medallions are just pan cooked, rested under foil, and any juices drizzled over them. 

Easy to size for just one serving.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's really easy. The sweet potato is cut into bite-sized chunks and steamed, then added to halved orange segments and very thinly sliced red onion. The dressing is just mayo thinned with a bit of orange juice.

The cabbage is shredded and similar sized slices of capsicum added, then lightly cooked in a little butter on a low heat.

The pork medallions are just pan cooked, rested under foil, and any juices drizzled over them. 

Easy to size for just one serving.

Sounds delicious.  Tonight I've made Osso Buco with sweet potato mash, brussels sprouts and sweet corn. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I am addicted to smoked salmon, always have a pack in fridge from Aldi. Great for brekkie on toast with cream cheese. Love it on the Princess ships Buffet, they put those trays of smoked salmon out, I go out of control when I see it. In summer i make a potato salad, put smoked salmon into it it and finish with sliced spring onions or shallots whatever you want to call them. Lubbly Jubbly.

Les get yourself a bottle of Baby Capers from Coles and stick about 8 in the cream cheese on your toast.

• Thanks 1

Went to Aldi yesterday and for the first time ever bought a pack of salmon wellingtons (a meat pie if you stretch the definition) and very good it was too. Just a pity that they're importing them from Poland.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Les get yourself a bottle of Baby Capers from Coles and stick about 8 in the cream cheese on your toast.

Salted capers are nicer, just rinse and pat dry. Unless, of course, you want the vinegar flavour.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of regular smoked salmon. I don't mind it occasionally but find the flavour too strong. I do love hot smoked trout or salmon though, it has a milder flavour. I often make smoked trout croquettes for dinner - just mashed potato, flaked trout, shaped, panko crumbed and shallow fried. Served with a fennel, cucumber, celery and radish salad dressed with a lemon viniagrette. Aioli on the side.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Cop the capers, thanks, localised flooding down here, might row the boat to Coles.

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Salted capers are nicer, just rinse and pat dry. Unless, of course, you want the vinegar flavour.

Thanks sounds like a good caper. I have tried them before, they do add to the essence of the smoked salmon.

Edited by NSWP

13 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds delicious.  Tonight I've made Osso Buco with sweet potato mash, brussels sprouts and sweet corn. 

Brussels sprouts, ugh, hated them since I was a mere baby. But I like cabbage, different flavour.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Brussels sprouts, ugh, hated them since I was a mere baby. But I like cabbage, different flavour.

If cooked properly (lightly steamed or roasted) they are delicious but overcooked they become bitter. The opposite of Eggplant which needs to be well cooked to lose it's bitterness.

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If cooked properly (lightly steamed or roasted) they are delicious but overcooked they become bitter. The opposite of Eggplant which needs to be well cooked to lose it's bitterness.

I have a bag of birds eyes frozen baby brussel sprouts in the freezer Mic. Perhaps i could chop them up for a stir fry. Are you copping the huge rain event and winds like us?

Edited by NSWP

30 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Try roasting brussels sprouts, they are really nice that way. I used to hate them when I was young but have learnt some good ways to cook them now. Never use frozen ones, they are disgusting. And only buy them in winter. They need to be small and firm.

16 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

If you mean Bakers Cottage, eaten a few of their pasties, never found broccoli in it so far. Got a bit of left over stew in the fridge might grab some pastry (too lazy to make it) and turn it into pasties.

That could be it, the one on the corner turn off to Tenambit.