re meat pies

The very word "Croissant" holds some very sweet memories from years long ago when I had just moved to Manila for work. The French embassy had a department several floors above our offices in the same building, and were in the habit of having celebratory parties for what seemed like any reasonable excuse. Invitations were always extended to the other occupants of the building, and that was how I was introduced, by a very nice young French Lady, to Croissants with Hot Chocolate for breakfast. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

The very word "Croissant" holds some very sweet memories from years long ago when I had just moved to Manila for work. The French embassy had a department several floors above our offices in the same building, and were in the habit of having celebratory parties for what seemed like any reasonable excuse. Invitations were always extended to the other occupants of the building, and that was how I was introduced, by a very nice young French Lady, to Croissants with Hot Chocolate for breakfast. 🙂

Sweet memories indeed. 😊

31 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

If there is one thing Melbourne has that I wish was in Sydney is Lune Croissanterie😋

That's the one they've had on MasterChef a couple of times, isn't it? I'd love to try their croissants. Maybe next time we go to Melbourne.

Try the Coles frozen ones if you can get them. They should be near where the frozen pastry is.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Pastry but not pies! After seeing a news snippet recently about Coles frozen croissants that are made in France I managed to get a pack the other day. We had them yesterday and they were the best croissants I've ever tasted outside of Paris. They are frozen raw so fully baked at home, not just reheated. https://shop.coles.com.au/a/lane-cove-park/product/butter-croissants-6pk

Apparently you can get pains au chocolate as well but our Coles had run out of those.

Not a huge fan of croissants, but might have to give these ones a try, thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's the one they've had on MasterChef a couple of times, isn't it? I'd love to try their croissants. Maybe next time we go to Melbourne.

Try the Coles frozen ones if you can get them. They should be near where the frozen pastry is.

Yeah the owner was featured on Masterchef twice, she has even beaten the French in some pastry competition😁. Her croissants are out of this world, they are the flakiest, airy, buttery things you'll ever eat 😋. Sadly I saw a doco last year that said traditional croissant making is a dying art in France. Too time consuming and complicated😕

Edited by ilikeanswers

So I took a 40 minute drive north up to Ulladulla the other day and called into Haydens Pies, just south of Ulladulla on Princes Hwy.  They have been there years and have a great selection of pies, cakes, sandwiches, coffee, tea etc. They also have a reasonable selection of gf pies for me, albeit $7.50 each, pricey but good.  Highly recommended for your road trip people.

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

So I took a 40 minute drive north up to Ulladulla the other day and called into Haydens Pies, just south of Ulladulla on Princes Hwy.  They have been there years and have a great selection of pies, cakes, sandwiches, coffee, tea etc. They also have a reasonable selection of gf pies for me, albeit $7.50 each, pricey but good.  Highly recommended for your road trip people.

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

I will have to check out next time I am down there, if we get out of lock down.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

I’d love a pie now as I’m engrossed in Olympics cycling so don’t want to move.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

My grandson would be very impressed there is a pie shop with his name! 😄😄😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

What is under the mashed potatoes and bacon Les?

Minced beef Lyle, you would like them.  Bit of horse on top, lubbly jubbly.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sounds like an excellent pie Les. 

I was a bad boy yesterday, I snuck one in, but left most of the pastry so as not to ingest a load of gluten, lol. It was tasty. If you ever get here Lyle, you have a lot of pies to try.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

If I ever get there Les. Even after there is some form of normal it will take time for us to take the plunge and lay the money out again. So far over $1,000.00 on that trip that we will never see again.

It is only money Lyle, I have lost a lot more than $1000 on cancelled trips.

58 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Minced beef Lyle, you would like them.  Bit of horse on top, lubbly jubbly.

Great, when out of lock down here I come. Actually visit South Durras and BB twice a year as my grandparents and parents used to live there.

Shame the bridge has now gone as my grandfather was one of the early painters on her. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kate59 said:

Great, when out of lock down here I come. Actually visit South Durras and BB twice a year as my grandparents and parents used to live there.

Shame the bridge has now gone as my grandfather was one of the early painters on her. 

Yes lot of history in ye olde BB Bridge, but apparently some sculptures for display on the foreshore are being made from the old bridge steel.  It is a nice walk across the new bridge and back, done it a couple of times, nice views.  Hope you get out of lockdown soon, Premier is considering Wollongong, Shellharbour LGA's to come out out of lockdown.

975714705_bbbridges.jpg.4caa0761bdb435c2b92f929486d4b512.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes lot of history in ye olde BB Bridge, but apparently some sculptures for display on the foreshore are being made from the old bridge steel.  It is a nice walk across the new bridge and back, done it a couple of times, nice views.  Hope you get out of lockdown soon, Premier is considering Wollongong, Shellharbour LGA's to come out out of lockdown.

975714705_bbbridges.jpg.4caa0761bdb435c2b92f929486d4b512.jpg

Great about the sculptures. Yes I am in Wollongong lga 

Aussie meat pies are now going “ multicultural” . In Woolworths the other day and they had Four&Twenty butter chicken pies 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I guess it was a bit like watching the Olympic womens hockey  Aust v India. It seemed  more like a  “local derby” . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Aussie meat pies are now going “ multicultural” . In Woolworths the other day and they had Four&Twenty butter chicken pies 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I have seen curry pies before, usually not my favourite pie (the scallop curry pie I had in Tasmania being an exception😋) but I do enjoy a butter chicken so might be better than a stock standard curry pie🤔

• Like 1