re meat pies

Earlier this week my oven almost self immolated. $2400 later I have a new one (which my son kindly installed for me yesterday). I'm now hoping my pies will taste better in the new one.  It's the third stove I've had since we renovated thirty years ago. The first two were second hand, the first of which I salvaged off the footpath during a council chuck out clean up - bulk waste collection is the official term - we have one every six months. 

We designed our kitchen to have a side-by-side (elevated) range/oven (not built-in) which means my replacement choice was somewhat limited otherwise I could have got one much cheaper.

mental not for today - go to Aldi for more pies.😁

IMG_20210806_090542754.jpg

• Like 2

You know I'm just thinking that I never knew what I was getting myself into when almost 10 years ago on an internet search ahead of our cruise I innocently clicked on a site called Cruise Critic. I joined and then soon discovered the Aus/NZ page & that lead me to 'meet' you all. Who could have known how much could be learned about pies and other culinary delights & then this morning I have been further enlightened about kitchen design. It is truly amazing.

I know that we sometimes have disagreements over different things on here, but it has truly proven to be a little community & just like a family we have our moments but at the end of the day we all just kiss/hug and makeup, and then have a pie.

Take care all & stay safe.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Nice set up Lyndon. As you know I'm in the kitchen cabinet business and I have seen many different designs but yours is the first I have seen like that.

My wife liked the idea of oven and cook top both at a workable height, not having to bend down was a plus. All pots and pans are stored in the drawers below. Pantry on the left and fridge/freezer on the right.

My favourite coffee machine is on top. It can be used on gas or electric. It's and Italian design "Atomic" espresso machine. I have a second one that I keep in the caravan.

ATOMIC® Coffee Machines | The best Italian expresso coffee maker (atomiccoffeemachines.com.au)

Most of the kitchens we work on are rather large and many have large 6 gas burner ranges much like a commercial kitchen but made for home use. Some have the oven below and some are cook tops and wall ovens. Some even have the oven below and a wall oven (or two). Yes our clients have expensive tastes. I sometimes wonder how often the temples to the culinary arts actually get used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I lived in Church St, Wollongong then Mt Warrigal, 72-76.

Re Thirroul, I remember ye olde Thirroul Leagues Club and Thirroul RSL.

Thirroul RSL is shops and Club Thirroul now owned by Ryde Eastwood. Without them the Bowlo would have been finished. I love my bowls there. 

19 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My wife liked the idea of oven and cook top both at a workable height, not having to bend down was a plus. All pots and pans are stored in the drawers below. Pantry on the left and fridge/freezer on the right.

My favourite coffee machine is on top. It can be used on gas or electric. It's and Italian design "Atomic" espresso machine. I have a second one that I keep in the caravan.

ATOMIC® Coffee Machines | The best Italian expresso coffee maker (atomiccoffeemachines.com.au)

Not having bench space on the side of the cooktop would drive me nuts. I like to have all my ingredients prepped and lined up ready for use, especially when doing stir-fries.

I do like wall ovens though. Much safer than having to bend down then lift heavy baking dish up to bench level.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Most of the kitchens we work on are rather large and many have large 6 gas burner ranges much like a commercial kitchen but made for home use. Some have the oven below and some are cook tops and wall ovens. Some even have the oven below and a wall oven (or two). Yes our clients have expensive tastes. I sometimes wonder how often the temples to the culinary arts actually get used.

I saw a documentary about ridiculously rich people in London and there was a real estate agent who caters to them. She said they always request two kitchens. One was for their personal chef to cook all their meals the other was a show kitchen. Even though it had workable equipment it was to never be used but as a display for invited guests😳

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, kate59 said:

Thirroul RSL is shops and Club Thirroul now owned by Ryde Eastwood. Without them the Bowlo would have been finished. I love my bowls there. 

Small bowling clubs in financial trouble are being taken over by large Sydney Clubs, like you mention with your club.  Like down here, Malua Bay Bowling Club went broke, so Cabra Bowls Group took it over, spent $500,000 on renovations then a few weeks later it got burnt down in the Dec 19/Jan 20 bushfires. It is now being rebuilt by Cabra Bowls Club, bigger and better. I am a member there, about 15 minutes drove south from me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

You know I'm just thinking that I never knew what I was getting myself into when almost 10 years ago on an internet search ahead of our cruise I innocently clicked on a site called Cruise Critic. I joined and then soon discovered the Aus/NZ page & that lead me to 'meet' you all. Who could have known how much could be learned about pies and other culinary delights & then this morning I have been further enlightened about kitchen design. It is truly amazing.

I know that we sometimes have disagreements over different things on here, but it has truly proven to be a little community & just like a family we have our moments but at the end of the day we all just kiss/hug and makeup, and then have a pie.

Take care all & stay safe.

Well said young Neil, I echo your thoughts.

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not having bench space on the side of the cooktop would drive me nuts. I like to have all my ingredients prepped and lined up ready for use, especially when doing stir-fries.

I do like wall ovens though. Much safer than having to bend down then lift heavy baking dish up to bench level.

I have an electric Westinghouse with built in bench space to right, then cooktop, then wall oven with grill below and big slide out drawer for saucepans below oven and cupboards below cooktop. Microwave is built in above oven.  It came with house. I still miss my old gas stove which I prefer for cooking.

Just now, gbenjo said:

Wow..after 206 pages of “ pie talk” not one person  has ever mentioned eating HUMBLE PIE 🤔🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂

Similar to "crow" I think most choose to learn and move on from their encounters with pie of the humble variety.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw a documentary about ridiculously rich people in London and there was a real estate agent who caters to them. She said they always request two kitchens. One was for their personal chef to cook all their meals the other was a show kitchen. Even though it had workable equipment it was to never be used but as a display for invited guests😳

Latest craze in Australia is to have butler's pantry so they use it so kitchen always tidy, why bother as more cleaning. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Similar to "crow" I think most choose to learn and move on from their encounters with pie of the humble variety.

Don't know so much about crow but we certainly have  some “ galahs “  here . 😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Don't know so much about crow but we certainly have  some “ galahs “  here . 😁

I suggest that if we all were ever to get together it would surely qualify as a 'galah event' 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, kate59 said:

Latest craze in Australia is to have butler's pantry so they use it so kitchen always tidy, why bother as more cleaning. 

I wish I had a butler's pantry. Our friends have one and it is fantastic. Plenty of clear bench space around the hotplates and the oven. It means you don't need to have all your appliances on the bench, they can be kept and used if you want in the butler's pantry. There are plenty of drawers and cupboards which I would love to have. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Wow..after 206 pages of “ pie talk” not one person  has ever mentioned eating HUMBLE PIE 🤔🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂

I don't think anyone does humble pie on this board! 😀

Edited by possum52

55 minutes ago, kate59 said:

I'd kill for a butlers pantry or utility room, one that was big enough for a deep sink, my big freezer, bench space, and a whole wall of cupboards where I could keep all the kitchen equipment I don't use day-to-day (which mostly lives in one of the spare bedrooms at the moment). 

It's not a matter of keeping the kitchen tidy, it's about having more space for messy prep work so the kitchen benches are free for other things.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'd kill for a butlers pantry or utility room, one that was big enough for a deep sink, my big freezer, bench space, and a whole wall of cupboards where I could keep all the kitchen equipment I don't use day-to-day (which mostly lives in one of the spare bedrooms at the moment). 

It's not a matter of keeping the kitchen tidy, it's about having more space for messy prep work so the kitchen benches are free for other things.

I’ve never heard of a butlers pantry. However I’d love a big pantry like my aunt had. Room for sacks of potatoes, onions, pumpkins, sugar etc on floor then lots of narrow shelves around three walls for home made jams pickles etc 

when Japanese bought on the GC they had units with tiny or no kitchens 

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I’ve never heard of a butlers pantry. However I’d love a big pantry like my aunt had. Room for sacks of potatoes, onions, pumpkins, sugar etc on floor then lots of narrow shelves around three walls for home made jams pickles etc 

when Japanese bought on the GC they had units with tiny or no kitchens 

In the large homes the "butler's pantry" was between the kitchen and the dining room. This is where the food was plated for presentation. The table linens, china ware, crystal glasses were stored there. There was the wash sink for all the dinner ware and later a dish washer.

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Kitchen  is what you make of it.....   I like our kitchen even though it's small

I built the bench top and most of cabinets...  And like the simple stove...( not even fan forced ).

Don

kitchen.thumb.jpg.454ca445279d14ddf486fb755f629f18.jpg

I see you squeezed in a dishwasher.😁