TSA Pre

WVBill

My wife and I have had TSA Pre check for maybe about 7 years or more. We didn't apply for it, it just started showing up on our boarding passes. Initially, my wife had it and I remember inquiring at security and being told "You'll get it too if you travel enough".

Now, here we are and there's an actual enrollment process and a fee and you get a "Known Traveler Number". I've tried looking up my KTN on the TSA website and it says "Information not found".

I worry that the TSA Pre could stop showing up on our boarding passes as mysteriously as it started. On the other hand, I'm not fond of the idea of paying $85 for something I already have free.

Has anyone out there in the Cruise Critic community experienced having an original free TSA Pre expire?

Yes, I know I can call TSA but that's like guaranteeing my fate... :lips-sealed:

My wife and I have had TSA Pre check for maybe about 7 years or more. We didn't apply for it, it just started showing up on our boarding passes. Initially, my wife had it and I remember inquiring at security and being told "You'll get it too if you travel enough".

Now, here we are and there's an actual enrollment process and a fee and you get a "Known Traveler Number". I've tried looking up my KTN on the TSA website and it says "Information not found".

I worry that the TSA Pre could stop showing up on our boarding passes as mysteriously as it started. On the other hand, I'm not fond of the idea of paying $85 for something I already have free.

Has anyone out there in the Cruise Critic community experienced having an original free TSA Pre expire?

Yes, I know I can call TSA but that's like guaranteeing my fate... :lips-sealed:

Yes, you will have to apply and pay the fee and go for the interview. It is a better deal to apply for global entry which comes with TSA Pre-check. It is only slightly more I think $100.

We had the TSA pre-check same as you, through our credit card. The TSA has eliminated this pre-approved program. You now have to apply and go for the interview to get a known traveler number.

DH and I were just talking about that last week when we flew on Southwest and had it.

We were wondering how long the TSA Pre would last as I do not remember paying for it.

Anyone??

Ditto. Still had it last month and will travel again soon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The free program is automatically set to expire the first time you are running late to catch your plane ;)

Seriously, if you want to be certain you'll have to go through the application process. I agree with Pam, consider the GOES international program which includes TSA and is valid for 5 years. For $100/pp, that's a good deal.

If you’re going to get TSA-Pre, I’d get Global Entry instead. Only $15 more, includes TSA-Pre and can be used when disembarking in FLL. There’s a special line for GE in Ft. Lauderdale and you can just zip through Immigration.

Until "everyone" has it. LOL.

The free program is automatically set to expire the first time you are running late to catch your plane ;)

Seriously, if you want to be certain you'll have to go through the application process. I agree with Pam, consider the GOES international program which includes TSA and is valid for 5 years. For $100/pp, that's a good deal.

So agree with this statement. I received "TSA Pre" on many of my flight because of a variety of reasons. The one time I wanted it most, I didn't get it. So forked over the fee. Now I wish that I had gone the extra step for Global Entry. I will when this one expires. You can't do it after the fact.

Best $85.00 I've ever spent! When it works. Not all airports have it all the time. Some have limited hours.

I agree, get the Global Entry for $100. The extra $15 is recouped with one international entry back to the US when you see the lines you get to skip and the speed and ease of global entry - and make that flight connection you worry about making. Check your credit cards - some will pay for it as a perk of the card. Check your airline frequent flyer mileage programs - you may be able to use miles to pay for it. Our whole family has Global Entry, and it has saved us all time and worry.

Before applied for and got my KTN throug TSA-Pre I would sometimes get it and sometimes not. In fact some flights I did not get it but my wife did. Seemed kind of random. It is worth getting it officially now I now only every flight I don't have to worry about it and don't have to take off shoes etc.,

My husband and I have TSA precheck (through the screening process). Just FYI, you are not guaranteed to actually get the precheck on your boarding pass every time. One time I did not get it and thought it must be a mistake so I called the airlines and TSA and found out that they occasionally randomly don't give people precheck. I was not happy as my husband breezed through security and I had to wait in line.

We are from the UK and had TSA - pre-check on our flight coming back from New Orleans last year.

Breezed through security.

No idea why we had it, we wondered if they just wanted us out of the country quicker:D

We are coming to the US twice next year so fingers crossed we get it again.

With the new travel restrictions, the TSA that was randomly given may be coming to come to an end from what I have been told. Those that have it due to security clearance due to working for DOD or the military will keep it, but I was told that the randomly given one may be coming to an end.

Global entry has been fantastic and I will renew when it expires. Luckily Platinum Amex refunds the fee so it cost us zero.

My understanding is that Homeland Security wanted to pull the plug on the free/unpaid TSA Precheck over a year ago ... but the major US airlines were enraged that their good customers would be standjng in long and slow lines ... and they made their displeasure known to DHS. I learned this from local DHS.peeps at least a year ago.

If indeed thus is true, those carriers (who now happen to be VERY profitable) should step up and pay the application fee for their good/frequent customers. After all, the focus is/should be about the safety of the flying public.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

There is also another approach that might work for some people. Apply for the US/Canadian Nexus program, which allows you to cross the US/Canadian border in expedited lines at most major crossings. Works for car and air flights. BUT the real benefit is that it automatically enrolls you in TSA Preclear and Global Entry, all three plans for only $50 for five years.

But there is a catch: You need to personally appear at a US/Canadian border crossing Nexus office to apply for the Nexus card, and you need to have a decent story about why you make sufficient border crossings each year to want the card. You will also need to reappear at that office when your US passport renews, so once every 10 years after the first appearance. If you drive into Canada from the US, especially on the Seattle to Vancouver route, having a Nexus card can save you hours at the border crossing, especially southbound.

We applied for Global Entry a year ago because read there were plans to roll it out at all US cruise ports. Machines are not in place yet but Port Everglades does have dedicated lane with usually very short line. In order to use it you need to have your physical GE card. In Miami earlier this year there were very long lines at customs and no GE signage. Just for the heck of it asked an officer and was directed to an absolutely empty lane. Out the door and in a cab in under a minute. Great program.

2 questions:

1) Does Global Entry have any advantage ove TSA Pre if you're a US Citizen traveling domestically?

2) I just recently received my TSA KTN. At airports will there be a different line for only TSA Pre passengers?

2 questions:

1) Does Global Entry have any advantage ove TSA Pre if you're a US Citizen traveling domestically? Probably not, but it's nice to know you've got it, just in case.

2) I just recently received my TSA KTN. At airports will there be a different line for only TSA Pre passengers?

Most airports. We flew out of LAX recently (2 times) and we had a separate line. Although, you couldn't really call it a line...we were the only ones in it.

Flew out of Kauai (first flight of the day) and the separate line wasn't open. The agent gave us a big yellow card indicating we were Pre-check. Didn't have to open our electronics, take off our shoes, etc.

Flew out of Honolulu, separate "line" with basically no one in it.

I LOVE Pre-check!!!:hearteyes::*