evaluate my luggage

luckyinpa

i have not flown in 20 years and have the suitcase to prove it. i'm leaving in one week and this is my 1st flight to a cruise and its 25 for the bag. we have no problem doing one suitcase each only.

jetblue states:

Checked bags that exceed 62" (157.48 cm) in overall dimensions (length + width + height), including wheels/handles, or exceed 50 pounds (22.68 kg) will also incur a fee. Baggage fees are assessed per one-way flight.

i have a samsonite hard shell that my bathroom scale says weighs 11 lb. i do plan on doing a test packing this weekend but just curious how other luggage compares to this. it's 21 x 28 x 9 so i barely make it under the dimensions

gf has a soft sided. 28x 19x 11 and weighs 9 lb.

so curious how these rank compared to 'suitcases of today' weight wise? i tried to measure conservatively but do they really care about a handle or wheel sticking out a bit over dimension?

going PHL to FLL and any airport specific info i may need would be nice

In our experience, they don’t really measure the dimension unless it is an odd size that may get stuck on an opening when it is on the conveyor belt. They are more particular on weight, but may tolerate an excess of a lb. or 2, depending on the checkin staff

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a number of IT (International Traveller) suitcases. They are extremely light.

31.3x19.3x11.4 5.8 pounds

32.9x19.1x11 6.38 pound (slightly over the measurement guidelines but have had no issues)

31.3x18.9x11.4 5.11 pounds

Lucas also makes some similar cases with very light weights.

Newer suitcases can easily weigh almost half of your old one. And some airlines can be REAL sticklers when it comes to weight. By all means weigh your bag before heading to the airport. I've seen airlines add the extra weight charge for bags only a pound over the limit. Aim for a couple of pounds under (just how accurate is your bathroom scale?). Or go out and get a luggage scale. They don't cost much. Take it with you so you know how much that bag full of dirty clothes and souvenirs weighs for the trip home.

I have to agree about getting a luggage scale. I invested a whole $10 in one after having to pay an overweight fee of $100 on a post-cruise flight about 10 years ago, and told myself "never again"!

My luggage scale, and replacing my old heavier luggage with new lighter ones, has saved me a bundle in potential overweight fees over the years I have been cruising.

I would buy new, lighter cases. And do you really need such large ones? I use a lightweight suitcase that is just under 25 inches (longest side) including wheels -- and when I pack it full it weighs close to 50 lbs. It holds all I need for 2-3 weeks of travel.

If you intend to shop for a replacement be careful. We recently shopped for an international size carry on.

Some of the suitcases we looked at had tags that claimed light weight. Some did not give the weigh, some others that did had it written in fine print and were not when compared to other offerings. Much like the new and improved claims on laundry detergents.

Our experience over the years is that brand can be meaningless. We have been told that some of the well known brands make a lesser quality product that is specifically targeted to the 50 percent off department store sales and to the factory outlet stores.

The weight is the main issue. Actual dimensions not so much. Before you run out and spend money on new luggage load up what you have now and weigh it. If your current stuff is in good shape and comes in under the 50lb limit there is really no reason to buy new stuff. (unless you really want new luggage ;)). Also, don't forget you can take a carry on with you as well. This is where you want to put your important stuff. Any medications, electronics, cameras, stuff like that. You can (and should) also put a change of cloths in it as well. Because sometimes your checked bag doesn't always arrive at the same place the same time as you.

The weight is the main issue. Actual dimensions not so much. Before you run out and spend money on new luggage load up what you have now and weigh it. If your current stuff is in good shape and comes in under the 50lb limit there is really no reason to buy new stuff. (unless you really want new luggage ;)). Also, don't forget you can take a carry on with you as well. This is where you want to put your important stuff. Any medications, electronics, cameras, stuff like that. You can (and should) also put a change of cloths in it as well. Because sometimes your checked bag doesn't always arrive at the same place the same time as you.
"Actual dimensions not so much". You have obviously never run the gamut of the Ryanair gate staff!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

"Actual dimensions not so much". You have obviously never run the gamut of the Ryanair gate staff!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I think all the airlines are picky with carry on sizes. I think the poster meant they are less so with dimensions on checked luggage. The carry on restrictions relate mostly to the size of the overhead compartments.

OP, you've been giveen good advice as to your luggage questiosn. I just want to wish you a happy, safe flight and congratulate you for makinng this booking after so many years. Hope you have a wonderuful time. Please come e back and tell us about it when you return.

OP: Does your older suitcases have suitcase locks that uses either a key or combination?

If the TSA decides to open your suitcase for inspection they may have to pry it open. I used to have Samsonite Oysters, heavy, hard shelled and bombproof :cool:, but had to toss them cause of the lock issue. If you want to keep your old suitcase, consider leaving them unlocked and use luggage straps with TSA approved locks. If they had those straps a few years back I would have kept the Oysters a bit longer. If you only have underwear and clothes then skip the TSA strap locks altogether.

I have a number of IT (International Traveller) suitcases. They are extremely light.

31.3x19.3x11.4 5.8 pounds

32.9x19.1x11 6.38 pound (slightly over the measurement guidelines but have had no issues)

31.3x18.9x11.4 5.11 pounds

Lucas also makes some similar cases with very light weights.

We LOVE our IT suitcases!! :hearteyes::hearteyes:

i guess ill make a trip to walmart for a luggage scale then. i know bathroom isnt that accurate. unless i get a known weight and measure that first? like 4 lb bag sugar :)

if you do get overweight do they allow you to toss stuff. surely cheaper to toss 20 dollar shirt than pay 100 for bag. or heck something heavier. this weekend is definitely a test weigh in.

so how much does a luggage scale weigh. :)

i guess ill make a trip to walmart for a luggage scale then. i know bathroom isnt that accurate. unless i get a known weight and measure that first? like 4 lb bag sugar :)

if you do get overweight do they allow you to toss stuff. surely cheaper to toss 20 dollar shirt than pay 100 for bag. or heck something heavier. this weekend is definitely a test weigh in.

so how much does a luggage scale weigh. :)

I know you're being facetious, but I will tell you mine is small, and virtually weightless ... the handle is plastic, uses a fabric strap to wrap around the suitcase handle for lifting it, and is powered by a disc shaped battery inside the handle. LOL!!

So far, the weights it shows on the display have been amazingly close to the airline's scale at the check-in counter.

We LOVE our IT suitcases!! :hearteyes::hearteyes:

So do we!

Marshall’s and TJMaxx don’t sell them anymore. We just bought a set from eBags. The fabric holds up well. We’ve have several that have flown as checked luggage LAX-Europe multiple times. Only issue we’ve had is with the single wheel spinners, hoping the double wheel style works better. It didn’t snap off but something prevented the wheel from spinning and it got ground down.

When I have traveled with my old Samsonite suitcase, I found it was opened and TSA screened EVERYTIME, I assumed it was because it did not x-ray well. FYI

speaking of opening, do they allow luggage straps? i always used them on cruises before but never flown so am curious. i'm assuming if they open it they wont bother to put the strap back on though.