End of an era- no more Hot Glass Show

81dollar

I have three cruises booked on S-class ships -- which are all going to be cancelled because of this change -- on top of many others. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but it is the straw that broke the camel's back.

That may be overkill. Don’t get me wrong, we like the glass show and it’s good for about 20 mins of entertainment on a 10 day cruise.

So, if you do not mind me asking, what cruise lines are you sailing now?

We have previously cruises on 14 different lines and our decisions are based primarily on itinerary with most other issues being secondary. But we always do 2-3 weeks in the Caribbean (between Thanksgiving and Christmas). This Caribbean cruise has been on Celebrity for 8 out of the past 9 years . This coming year we have booked MSC Divina (Yacht Club) which we see as a better product (for the money) then Celebrity. Otherwise we have an exotic 5 week cruise on Princess and will likely book something else for the fall. Not even looking at Celebrity. Perhaps a luxury cruise line, a river boat cruise in Europe (have done this in the past with Viking) or we might just grab a flight to Europe and spend a few weeks driving around where we please (we have done many European driving trips).

As Seniors with a forty+ year history of extensive cruising we try hard not to fall into a rut...or become a "cheerleader" of a specific cruise line or travel mode It is a big world and there are numerous travel options. We feel just as home renting a flat (apartment) in Paris for a few weeks as taking a cruise. Other than our upcoming 5 weeks on Princess (and 3 weeks on MSC) nothing jumps out as us and says "you must book this. " When this happens (cannot find a great cruise option) we often just find a good air deal to Europe and take some kind of land trip. For many years we have been thinking about flying to Italy and driving south through Croatia, Slovania and Montenegro. Perhaps this will be the year.

Since we are on the topic, we hope that most cruisers realize that European (or Med) cruises do really restrict what you can see in Europe. There are many wonderful places that cannot even be reached on a port day. And a place like Florence might be nice for a port day...but becomes a lot nicer if you spend a few nights.

The cruise industry is in competition with the travel industry....not just the cruise industry. While we understand that many folks are not willing to spend time on land (on their own)...there are plenty of us who feel little contstriction when it comes to travel. I could quickly list 20 things on my "to do" list that do not involve cruise ships. We do believe in the cruise industry and will invest accordingly...but when it comes to our own travel life there is a big world beyond a few cruise lines.

Hank

My DH has blown glass for 30+ years but wasn’t allowed to do anything other than watch when it was under the control of the Corning Museum. If they turn this into a guest experience he will happily pay to have the opportunity to blow glass at sea.

I just booked a June cruise and was looking forward to seeing this. Luckily I have been to the museum several times and did do a glass blowing, but that was several years ago and I thought it would be great to see this program on board. It's disappointing to hear, but I can't let it ruin my vacation. Worse comes to worse, I make the 6 hour drive to Corning.:o

I hope nothing else changes. We picked this ship and the date against 5 other possible choices.

"The three artists and their manager wouldn't say what was happening with the venue exactly, other than Celebrity is keeping the glass blowing equipment on board for an interactive guest experience with a different vendor (not Corning). He did say that it would be a paid experience, which did not fit with the museum's mission"

If they are bringing in a new vendor, it could be that the show will still be free but they will now be able to sell the pieces they create which I believe Corning would not allow. If that is the case, I think it is a fair balance between providing a unique included experience along with the opportunity for Celebrity to generate revenue from the venue.

Neda

My DH has blown glass for 30+ years but wasn’t allowed to do anything other than watch when it was under the control of the Corning Museum. If they turn this into a guest experience he will happily pay to have the opportunity to blow glass at sea.

Yeah, but I wonder how many other cruisers will be flocking to see a guest try to blow glass. The Corning Folks were true world-class artists (Corning only sent the best of the best) and was worthy of our time. Watching guests try to blow class would rank up there with the hairy legs competition (they do not even have that on Celebrity).

Hank

We are sad. My husband watched the shows everyday while on Solstice when we did an Alaska cruise. For me, I saw the show whenever it did not conflict with one of the educational talks that I wanted to attend. We bought a beautiful piece at the auction towards the end of that cruise which provided scholarships to students wanting to learn blow glass making.

Yep, lets take something unique in the world of cruising and replace it with a blah Steak House available anywhere in the world, serving steaks for $100 that have been frozen for 3-5 months because people somehow think it is neat to watch someone cook their steaks (or do the work themselves, for heavens sake).

If it is the Lawn Club, I am absolutely clueless of it's attraction. Can get MUCH better quality grass-fed, dry aged steaks, raised less than 40 miles from the restaurant, never frozen, for LESS than the cost of the Lawn Club. Without having to pay the up-front $2,000-20,000 cover charge).

Just another nail in the way less Celebrity cruising and less cruising in general coffin.

Did I understand that correctly, they are leaving the equipment on for a paid for interactive experience?

30 years ago, Whilst at university I worked part time in the handmade crystal glass industry. The skill level needed to hand produce glass of any reasonable standard (let alone the stunning quality produced on board) is immense. I recall a U.K. TV series recently where each week the host has a go at some traditional craft, he was very clear glass blowing was probably the hardest task he'd done. It's also pretty dangerous.

So disappointed to hear this, I have been on the Eclipse 3 times with the show on. Loved it went for a couple of hours most sea days, the staff were so talented and very interesting to listen too. It will be such a miss, we booked again Eclipse for October and the glass show was a big draw to return especially for me.

A highlight of 3 Solstice clas cruises we have taken. I enjoyed it and would go again but it may have run its time. To me it is very important that a quality, FREE, experience serve as an alternative.

What has kept me interested in Celebrity and voicing that preference seems to be leaving. Like others especially because of itinerary we will be experiencing other lines.

Scrounging for every dollar they can....

The show was very creative and unique,..

Any pay for glass venue will be another area we do not patronize...

Amen.

We are also not booking anything past Edge. We usually do at least 1 cruise a year and have always sailed Celebrity. Since LLP took over we have seen way too many changes for money. We are on Eclipse this April and might have to reconsider 2020. 2019 will probably be our last with Celebrity as the prices for are one thing for the cruise but the extras are just, plain crazy. Money hungry is a nice term for LLP and RCI. But, as many say on these boards, you can always go elsewhere.

I have three cruises booked on S-class ships -- which are all going to be cancelled because of this change -- on top of many others. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but it is the straw that broke the camel's back.

While I’m disappointed about this change, having never had the opportunity to see the Corning glass show in such a unique environment, I don’t personally find it the last straw. Regarding previous Celebrity changes, I have felt pleased with some, displeased with others, and neutral about the rest. I too have three cruises booked with Celebrity, but I won’t cancel them over this, or any other recent change. Should my overall cruise experience be quite negative (instead of my typical 90-95 percent positive and 5-10 percent negative) on my next sailing, I would certainly consider canceling the remaining two cruises.

Yep, lets take something unique in the world of cruising and replace it with a blah Steak House available anywhere in the world.

Just another nail in the way less Celebrity cruising and less cruising in general coffin.

(y)(y)(y)

If Celebrity becomes like every other cruiseline out there, what will be the incentive to cruise with them? Certainly not the rising prices. Or the same old, same old itineraries. Been there, done that in the Caribbean. Umpteen times. One of the reasons to keep going was for the glass show.

Whoa....this is one reason I paid a little more for Eclipse over Silhouette. I love the hot glass show and was looking forward to it in April. :(

Anyone know if hot glass show will still be on the upcoming Eclipse transatlantic??

Did I understand that correctly, they are leaving the equipment on for a paid for interactive experience?

Based on what the manager of the Glass at Sea program told us, the equipment belongs to Celebrity. A different vendor will be running a new program where you can pay to try your hand at glass blowing.

I believe Eclipse is next to be closed, with Solstice being shut down in a few months.

(y)(y)(y)

If Celebrity becomes like every other cruiseline out there, what will be the incentive to cruise with them? Certainly not the rising prices. Or the same old, same old itineraries. Been there, done that in the Caribbean. Umpteen times. One of the reasons to keep going was for the glass show.

I totally agree! Although the M-Class ships are my favorite, we loved cruising on the three S-Class ships that featured the Hot Glass Show.. But, no doubt, X will put that prime real estate to good use -- something that they can charge extra for. :(

One of my most memorable experiences on the Soltice was coming out of Venice watching the Hot Glass Show with Andrea Bocelli blasting on the loudspeakers. You can't beat that combo!

We went to every Hot Glass Show they had. While I enjoy the Lawn Club - I'd rather watch the talented artists.

Will probably put a crimp in my booking Celebrity. I really have to explore some new lines...time to give Princess a try!!

What great news, I never did see the attraction of the glass show.. sat there for a few mins once and had to leave as boredom was setting in fast... I know some love it but for me, I personally Would like to see the addition of the lawn grill up there or maybe it’ll be a new type of dining venue...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadly I have to agree. It's fun for the first few times but unlike a nice dining alternative you can only see it so many times

Sadly I have to agree. It's fun for the first few times but unlike a nice dining alternative you can only see it so many times

As Chihuly nuts, we completely disagree -- especially since there are many restaurants on the ship but only one hot glass show. Chacon a son gout -- to some this will be an improvement, to us it is a major [probably fatal] disappointment, especially for the Caribbean which was fun the first few times but you can only see it so many times...

"The three artists and their manager wouldn't say what was happening with the venue exactly, other than Celebrity is keeping the glass blowing equipment on board for an interactive guest experience with a different vendor (not Corning). He did say that it would be a paid experience, which did not fit with the museum's mission"

If they are bringing in a new vendor, it could be that the show will still be free but they will now be able to sell the pieces they create which I believe Corning would not allow. If that is the case, I think it is a fair balance between providing a unique included experience along with the opportunity for Celebrity to generate revenue from the venue.

Neda

Neda- it says "paid experience". That doesn't sound like it'll be a free show where you can buy the pieces afterwards.

Part of what was special about Corning was that they are true artists making art for art's sake and the joy of creating.

It sounds like another pay to play experience, exactly like what they did with Zumba.

I LOVE the Hot Glass Show and have spent many hours fascinated by how the artists create these beautiful pieces out of glass.

We own about 5 pieces from that charity auction at the end of the cruise.

We board the Eclipse next Sunday for a month and I'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if it's gone.

As someone else said, this might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

We are cruising more and more every year but it looks like those cruises won't be on Celebrity any longer - just too many little cuts.

(I wish I could find the recent quote where LLP said Celebrity has NO INTENTIONS TO END THE HOT GLASS SHOW. ) :mad::mad::mad:

Always enjoyed the shows, but everything has a time. I'm actually surprised that it lasted as long as it did. At least on the recent cruises I've taken I've noticed attendance lagging. From a Celebrity perspective I would guess that they saw a prime area actually costing them revenue rather than producing revenue. We really don't have all the facts concerning the decision. Perhaps at least to some extent it may have been Corning that wanted to end the relationship. Hopefully Celebrity will add another dining choice to the area, or perhaps they might add a new concept from the Edge Class. I'll reserve judgment until I experience any changes.