Do Your "Non Cruise" Friends Ever Ask You About Cruising?

need2cruisesoon

We have many friends of which only a small percentage regularly cruise.

The majority have never cruised, others maybe once many years ago (but that memory stays with them forever of an old ship or bad experience).

When we get back from a cruise most friends never inquire or have any interest to learn more. They really are as they say "missing the boat".:cool:

Most of our "non cruise" friends do ask us all sorts of things about our cruise.

Many seem to feel they would be bored ... not have enough to do ... feel trapped ... on a cruise.

They also worry about becoming seasick.

Others are always very interested in our ports of call.

I usually don't get any more questions than "did you have a good time", unless it's a question prompted by a photo. They're not interested in more than that, and I understand why. It's not their thing, and that's OK. When my brother would get back from a golf game, I'd ask him if he had a good time -- I don't need to know more than that because I'm not interested in golf.

The majority have never cruised, others maybe once many years ago (but that memory stays with them forever of an old ship or bad experience).

When we get back from a cruise most friends never inquire or have any interest to learn more. They really are as they say "missing the boat".:cool:

The majority of our friends have never cruised due to cruise ship phobia . They probably saw the movie Titanic too many times.

No, vacations are like kids. Nobody wants to talk about someone else's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^

THIS

If your friends aren't interested in hearing about your cruise, it MAY be a lack of interest in cruising, itself. That is one possibility. If so, that is their right. Just as it is your right not to be interested in their fishing trips, mountain climbing expeditions, or African safaris. We each vacation in our own way. I really get tired of some people who wax endlessly that a cruise is the ONLY way to vacation.

Yes, I had friends at work ask me, after a cruise, about the experience. Even had one admit that he and his wife were even 'considering' a five day cruise. Then the Costa Concordia incident happened a week later, and he said he was rethinking the idea, wondering if it was safe. I told him ANY venture in life has a slight risk, driving on the interstate is FAR more dangerous than a cruise. I told him, 'You want SAFE, stay in bed with the covers up over your head'. These types really ARE missing the fun of sailing. Then you have the types, like my late MIL, who REFUSED to go or do anything (outside her house) without constantly complaining about everything !:rolleyes: Boy !!There's a cruise companion, one could do without ! But some people aren't meant to cruise.

Mac

Most of the time the people who ask me about my cruises either before I leave or after I return have something negative to say about either cruising itself or the destination. For instance, "do you think you'll be safe in Mexico? I hear there are State Dept. warnings to stay away due to the drug violence" or "I don't play bingo". A lot of the naysayers are people who are generally opposed to, or dislike travel in general.

Roz

Most non-cruiser people I meet don't ask a question . but instead make the statement , "you will never get me on a cruise because , ( seasick or noro , boredom, confined ,crowds , drunks, fear of ocean , ect.)"

They never say due to $$$$ although that may be the true reason in some cases.

Most of the time the people who ask me about my cruises either before I leave or after I return have something negative to say about either cruising itself or the destination. For instance, "do you think you'll be safe in Mexico? I hear there are State Dept. warnings to stay away due to the drug violence" or "I don't play bingo". A lot of the naysayers are people who are generally opposed to, or dislike travel in general.

Roz

I also heard a lot of times, ' I don't drink alcohol', to which I'd immediately reply, 'Neither do I ! And do YOU have to drink it, too have fun or relax..?':rolleyes: That would usually be followed by a confused look on their part, as IF it's an enforced ship's policy. Where do non-cruisers get these absurd ideas?

Mac

As we are from the UK and early thirties cruising is even less common in our demographic and friendship circles/family.

We get lots of questions and things but as I am bit obsessed I try and not to talk about it too much. A sardonic few are a little negative about it 'Oh you don't really see anywhere' or 'more money then sense' but I smile sweetly...I love the ocean and a save up so no biggie.

We have actually convinced a few of them to cruise and have 2 sets of converts! We also have a few colleagues who have cruised and loved it...they booked with some of my tips.

I truly believe there is a cruise for everyone unless you have a crazy phobia/medical aversion to water. :)

I’m no longer friends with my non-cruise friends. I just can’t deal with people who don’t like to cruise.

Jk...seriously though, I wish they would! I could talk about cruising al day. And I would love to convince friends of ours to come cruising with up. But we’ve yet to be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have friends that are currently non-cruisers but that have asked me about cruising because they are thinking of booking a cruise in the future. I don't tell them about the ports so much as what there is to see/do on the ship and off. I try and calm their nerves about seasickness/noro and those types of things. Hopefully one day in the future, I'll be asking them about their cruise.

I have one friend that never cruised until last year and had asked me about it. I told her all about it. She loved the first one so much, that she's now on her 2nd cruise. I think it's going to become an annual mother/daughter cruise for her.

Now if I could just convince a couple of my best friends to join me on a cruise, I think I could change their mind. The hubby is all for it, it's his wife that's against it.

A relative, who was an experienced cruiser, convinced us to take a cruise after we retired. We called it our "training cruise" since it was only a five day cruise Bermuda. We figured if we hated it, it was only five days. If we loved it, being newly retired, we would book some more. Long story short, we booked our next cruise while on board the training cruise. More than 35 cruises15 years later speaks for itself.

So far, only one set of friend expressed interest in cruising, so we took them on a training cruise. They are now D+ on RCI.

The rest of our friends have expressed no interest or have made the common disparaging remarks about cruising expressed by the previous posters. Funny thing is, they feel free to express negativity about cruising, but we would never express similar negativity about their road-trip vacations.

When the subject comes up among friends my response depends on their personality types.

If they have a high tolerance for regimentation and rules, are socially gregarious, desire structure and predictability while travelling and are uncertain or lack confidence being abroad I'd encourage a cruise.

If they are more independent, chafe under restrictions, are adventuresome, can adapt to new and unusual situations and prefer lower-key travelling to new places then a cruise is probably not for them.

I also ask them what they want out of the vacation and whether a cruise is the best means to achieve their objectives.

No, and most have basically said they wouldn’t be caught dead on a cruise. One friend thought no food was included. One friend says all the emphasis on eating repels her. I’ve explained no one forces you to eat...We always said we weren’t interested in cruising either, but Alaska was our introduction...and you know what that led to...the Panama Canal, then a transatlantic, then the Baltics, etc

My husband and I have cruised for years to many different ports. We have also done a lot of land tours...usually on our own, but sometimes with a small group. We consider cruising a vacation and our land tours, travel. Traveling on our own, although exciting, is not always restful unless we build in a lot of downtime. (Our fault: if we pay all that money to get to a destination, we want to see everything). When traveling on our own, we would come back to work tired...which seldom happened after a cruise.