Bringing Lunch from Cruise Line

MaC410

I had read in a cruise guidebook of mine that some cruises will let you bring something like a doggy bag or a bagged lunch with you on excursions during the day. Does anyone know if royal does that?

Majority of foreign countries will not let you take any food / beverages from the ship into their country. Depending upon the country you may be able to take some packaged food items and sealed bottled water. What country are you traveling to?

This subject has been beaten to death but in most circumstances you are not allowed to bring any food off of the ship unless it is prepackaged. On my last sailing to Cozumel on Royal Caribbean’s Allure Of The Seas in January 2017 there were two police dogs at the end of the pier going through everyone’s personal property. There were three large garbage pails full of assorted fruit and sandwiches that had been thrown away by the Mexician authorities. I couldn’t believe that passengers weren’t aware that you were not allowed to remove food from the ship.

I think it depends on the port most of the places I have visited ( not Mexico) there has been nothing to go thru getting off the ship. We visited St Martin a couple of years ago and there was nothing the same for the Azores.

On Crystal Cruises to Alaska years ago they would provide box lunches to take off the ship.

So it is best to check with someone just back from the cruise you are taking. You might even be able to look out from the ship and see people walking off.

I think it depends on the port most of the places I have visited ( not Mexico) there has been nothing to go thru getting off the ship. We visited St Martin a couple of years ago and there was nothing the same for the Azores.

On Crystal Cruises to Alaska years ago they would provide box lunches to take off the ship./quote]

Last I checked, Alaska was not a foreign port. Some places are extremely vigilant. Someone posted here a while ago - little girl put an apple from her lunch tray into her mom’s bag on a flight to NZ without her knowledge. Stepped off the plane and instant $300 fine, no questions asked. Just because someone got away with it, not worth taking the chance. Plus, we need to be respectful of other countries ‘ ecosystems. We always pack protein bars.

Hawaii isn't a foreign port but they will not let you off the ship with any food except prepackaged and don't even think about bringing fruit off the ship. Australia and NZ will fine you immediately, without exception or excuse. It's just not worth trying to guess which port you can bring your lunch off the ship. Buy lunch in the port or take a short morning excursion and come back to the ship to have your lunch.

People do it all the time. Are you breaking a rule,yeah but I consider it minor. Especicially just a bagel and some peanut butter for some quick energy on the go. I do it. Been doing it for 10 years. Fruit too. Bash away

People do it all the time. Are you breaking a rule,yeah but I consider it minor. Especicially just a bagel and some peanut butter for some quick energy on the go. I do it. Been doing it for 10 years. Fruit too. Bash away��

You are actually breaking a LAW of a foreign country - not to mention possibly messing with their ecosystem. When you are eventually caught, please don’t come whining to this list about it. Obviously you’ve never lived in California.

People do it all the time. Are you breaking a rule,yeah but I consider it minor. Especicially just a bagel and some peanut butter for some quick energy on the go. I do it. Been doing it for 10 years. Fruit too. Bash away��

PLEASE never give out advice, knowing you are telling people to break the laws of a foreign country. This is not a ship "rule". These are the laws of foreign nations, often in place to protect the ecosystem of that country.

The answer to the OP is no, you should not remove food from the ship.

Your actions could well put an entire country or region's agriculture at risk. Please look up "medfly" or "invasive species" to get some idea or what breaking this rule could mean to others.

Uninformed people often make bad choices. Please educate yourself.

Not a "rule" most countries you are breaking Laws. May not do jail time but some have high fines. Don't think I'll risk $500-1000 for a banana...

You are actually breaking a LAW of a foreign country - not to mention possibly messing with their ecosystem. When you are eventually caught, please don’t come whining to this list about it. Obviously you’ve never lived in California.

Who Would want to live in California:Dlol

Happy Sailing

Mike

Edited by mpdog42
ref

To avoid getting into trouble, I don't take any food off the ship other than packaged. Sometimes it is easier to buy snacks at a shop near the port entrance than taking things off the ship.

I have been on many RC cruises. Never seen packed lunches on offer.

I had read in a cruise guidebook of mine that some cruises will let you bring something like a doggy bag or a bagged lunch with you on excursions during the day. Does anyone know if royal does that?

pretty much no one does. food may NOT be taken off the ships in port unless it is prepackaged and factory sealed.

some shore excursions provide snacks or a meal, or indicate that you can purchase food. otherwise, you are on your own.

and who are you to say what is minor and what is not, especially in a foreign country?! why is it okay to break some laws but not others?

Fruit is restricted due to possible pest importation.

Nothing like an attitude where you do not care about other countries attempts to keep dangerous pests out of their country.

Hawaii isn't a foreign port but they will not let you off the ship with any food except prepackaged and don't even think about bringing fruit off the ship. Australia and NZ will fine you immediately, without exception or excuse. It's just not worth trying to guess which port you can bring your lunch off the ship. Buy lunch in the port or take a short morning excursion and come back to the ship to have your lunch.

I have a funny story about that. I had a woven bag which I used to carry breakfast rolls from a bakery back to the hotel when we were staying a week in Sydney. Flying into Aukland, even though we had no food, that residual smell alerted the doggie patrol. The authorities checked my bag, which was empty of any food. Still, while we awaiting arrival of our luggage, that little dog continued to patrol the area and would abruptly stop by my side on each round of his patrol. Very embarrassing.

Wow, talk about the Ugly American! Did you not ever hear of the Med Fly? Or are you so selfish that it doesn't matter as it's not your country?