Im sad to say, but Im on my way, Goodbye Celebrity.

nancyshaw

I’ve only done 5 cruises [emoji568] but in that time I have met a lot of young newbie cruisers whose family’s no longer cruise, they’ve loved the experience I encouraged my younger sister who in turn invited sons and girlfriends. I myself will fly cruise until I can’t manage to get on a plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cheesecake is one of my favorites and tasted exactly the same as always in Blu 2 months ago. ;)

What is the evening dress like on Viking Ocean cruises? We have done river cruising (more casual than Celebrity) and cruised with Oceania (the same to slightly dressier than Celebrity.)

We are looking into AmaWaterways river cruising for Africa. Take a look! ;)

Pretty much the same as the river cruises smart casual. Men in dockers and chinos with polo/golf shirts, short sleeve button-downs. We were in the Caribbean, so there were a lot of aloha shirts.

Women in pants and a nice top, sundresses or skirt and top.

There might have been some jeans in the Restaurant but I didn’t notice one way or another. No one was sloppy or looked like they had been wearing the same clothes all day. And no one dressed to the nines either.

Not supposed to be jeans in the two specialty restaurants (included in the cruise price), but we saw Ma and Pa Kettle get in and they weren’t wearing their Sunday Best [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A few words to add.

I refer to Viking Ocean Cruises.

HAL has 4 different groups of ships (4 different HALs if you wish). The one that includes older and smaller ships is almost exclusively retirement cruising. This is probably the reason that is feeding the legend.

[emoji106][emoji253]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Before you move....

Thanks!

Nieuw Amsterdam/Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Key, Grand Turk, St.Thomas, San Juan).

The ship overall is slightly above Viking in class.

Viking is actually a kind of its smaller copy with some misses and some improvements

A close to the sea private yacht feel yet a fully loaded first class resort ship, good to very good buffet, very good MDR (excellent gala dinners), excellent specialty restaurants, two public lounges, aft pool adults only, elegant reserved in tones interiors, first class spa (much better than Viking), large sports court, full circle luxury promenade deck, enormous sun decks, full size theater, live orchestra (10 musicians on the stage), daily afternoon tea, fresh flowers everywhere, good service, wide selection of cabins (standard interiors, large interiors, standard window, starndard balcony, let's say "Sky Suite" or "Sky Suite Plus" type of suites, 2 penthouse suites).

No smell of class division.

Value for money - outstanding.

Itinerary - a combination available to Carnival Corp. brands only with HMC being a single best cruise line private island (at least until the Ocean Cay is ready) and Grand Turk (Carnival "private" recreation beach area on the island). St. Thomas and San Juan are well-known.

The itinerary is what Viking (a Caribbean "newbie") can only dream about.

Am I advertising the ship?

Not at all. You saw the pictures. A short review will be on the HAL board.

1. The ship was built in 2010 and does not need my help.

2. I don't have a favorite cruise line.

The reason why I've posted so many words was covered in my previous post: "loyalty" = "Horse eye shades". Loyal cruisers often don't realize what is going on next door.

What I want is to help the OP feel better and stay cruising...

Nancyshaw,

Why not try one of a few best cruise ships available before setting sail on your new prospective favorite? I'm quiet about the price difference.

Enjoy your cruises!

An “itinerary Viking can only dream about”. Seriously? You mentioned 4 ports. We just got off the Viking Sea and did 2 days in San Juan, St Croix (was supposed to be Tortola but hurricane damage switched things around), St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Maarten and St Thomas. That’s 9 ports.

It was the most fabulous cruise I have ever been on. We like small ships. The mega ships are what has driven us away from mainstream cruising for good. And a lot of other wonderful things about small ship cruising will keep us away.

Different strokes for different folks, but you are all welcome to your behemoths. We’d rather sail with 1000 or less other sailors.

An “itinerary Viking can only dream about”. Seriously? You mentioned 4 ports. We just got off the Viking Sea and did 2 days in San Juan, St Croix (was supposed to be Tortola but hurricane damage switched things around), St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Maarten and St Thomas. That’s 9 ports.

It was the most fabulous cruise I have ever been on. We like small ships. The mega ships are what has driven us away from mainstream cruising for good. And a lot of other wonderful things about small ship cruising will keep us away.

Different strokes for different folks, but you are all welcome to your behemoths. We’d rather sail with 1000 or less other sailors.

Which ship, Kath? We're looking for an itinerary like that to take our granddaughters on in a couple of years and haven't found anything with X that floats our boat.

Which ship, Kath? We're looking for an itinerary like that to take our granddaughters on in a couple of years and haven't found anything with X that floats our boat.

Viking Sea. How old are your granddaughters? Viking isn’t set up for children. All the cabins are for 2 - there are none for 3 or 4. They don’t have any activities for children, but if they are older 15, 16 or so, you could probably make it work.

Viking Sea. How old are your granddaughters? Viking isn’t set up for children. All the cabins are for 2 - there are none for 3 or 4. They don’t have any activities for children, but if they are older 15, 16 or so, you could probably make it work.

They'll be 13 and 15 when the time comes. Thanks.

Before you move....

Thanks!

Nieuw Amsterdam/Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Key, Grand Turk, St.Thomas, San Juan).

The ship overall is slightly above Viking in class.

Viking is actually a kind of its smaller copy with some misses and some improvements

A close to the sea private yacht feel yet a fully loaded first class resort ship, good to very good buffet, very good MDR (excellent gala dinners), excellent specialty restaurants, two public lounges, aft pool adults only, elegant reserved in tones interiors, first class spa (much better than Viking), large sports court, full circle luxury promenade deck, enormous sun decks, full size theater, live orchestra (10 musicians on the stage), daily afternoon tea, fresh flowers everywhere, good service, wide selection of cabins (standard interiors, large interiors, standard window, starndard balcony, let's say "Sky Suite" or "Sky Suite Plus" type of suites, 2 penthouse suites).

No smell of class division.

Value for money - outstanding.

Itinerary - a combination available to Carnival Corp. brands only with HMC being a single best cruise line private island (at least until the Ocean Cay is ready) and Grand Turk (Carnival "private" recreation beach area on the island). St. Thomas and San Juan are well-known.

The itinerary is what Viking (a Caribbean "newbie") can only dream about.

Am I advertising the ship?

Not at all. You saw the pictures. A short review will be on the HAL board.

1. The ship was built in 2010 and does not need my help.

2. I don't have a favorite cruise line.

The reason why I've posted so many words was covered in my previous post: "loyalty" = "Horse eye shades". Loyal cruisers often don't realize what is going on next door.

What I want is to help the OP feel better and stay cruising...

Nancyshaw,

Why not try one of a few best cruise ships available before setting sail on your new prospective favorite? I'm quiet about the price difference.

Enjoy your cruises!

Thank you for posting. Love the sharing of ideas here.

I've been following this thread since I'm considering a South American/Antarctica cruise on Celebrity in early 2020. The question about the passenger demographic issue hasn't been answered. What issue? I'm concerned I won't fit into the acceptable demographic and be shunned.

Roz

I hear their are a lot of penguins on that cruise. They will likely be very friendly although smelly and probably won't shun you. Just give them some fish from the buffet to keep them happy.

One of the smartest posts in this thread!

Thank you the compliment.

=excitedofharpenden;55769045]Well I'm glad you think so because I don't. I'm certainly not old or about to croak (which I find a very offensive generality) and neither are many of my friends who share the same view.

Phil

Okay, I'll rephrase: The loyalists are getting older and will either stop being able to physically travel or die.

Feel better now? Getting old and dying are unavoidable. No matter what your "view" may be.

. Really not sure that you will see the overalls I have been seeing on Celebrity. Whats up with that? Does anyone know?[/quote

I am absolutely sure I have never seen, in all of my cruises anyone dressed in overalls on any Celebrity sailing. This has gone too far out of the realm of credibility for me. I do hope you find a cruise experience where the food, service, and passenger dress lives up to your standards. Good luck

This particular gentleman, had the same beige rubber overalls, green shirt and rubber boots the entire 14 days on the Eclipse. He also had a long beard, long matted hair. I was very curious to speak to him, but never got up the nerve. People we were with took pictures. He was a with a group, similarly dressed. I did not find it objectionable in the least. More power to him. Of course if many more were of similar appearance, then it might have become an issue but I doubt it. To each his own.

This particular gentleman, had the same beige rubber overalls, green shirt and rubber boots the entire 14 days on the Eclipse. He also had a long beard, long matted hair. I was very curious to speak to him, but never got up the nerve. People we were with took pictures. He was a with a group, similarly dressed. I did not find it objectionable in the least. More power to him. Of course if many more were of similar appearance, then it might have become an issue but I doubt it. To each his own.

Sounds like if true, he must have smelled. Some people have zero regards for others or self respect

I'm sorry, but when someone says the food is inedible in the MDR and the OV, it's very hard to find anything else credible.
I agree... Celebrity still features one of the best cuisines in MDR out of all mass market. And it it is very good to great.

In some reason we had substandard service in MDR on Silhouette last year, but I consider it to be an exception.

I've been following this thread since I'm considering a South American/Antarctica cruise on Celebrity in early 2020. The question about the passenger demographic issue hasn't been answered. What issue? I'm concerned I won't fit into the acceptable demographic and be shunned.

Roz

Roz

we did the South American cruise a few years ago on the M-Class Inifinity, and now looking at the same S. America/Antartica cruise in Jan 2020 on the Eclipse. Looks like a great cruise. In fact, although it hits only the east coast S American ports and not the westcoast Chilean ports, I think its a better itinerary.

Going to see Antarctica would be fantastic, and this cruise goes to Port Stanley/Falkland Islands which is a big plus. We had a great time there. It’s a bit tricky because more than a few cruises that plan on the Falklands don’t get into it because of the weather/sea state - we anchor there - but worth the shot.

As to ‘demographics’ not sure what the poster was getting at, because it doesn’t really make sense, at least to me. The ‘demographics’ are all over the place, and with this cruise specifically, you’ll get more experienced cruisers and younger ones and more international then others we’ve done.

An excellent mix of people. And being a bit more experienced people then other cruise iterinaries because S America with the long flights down and back and a higher chance or weather issues (and cost?) scares some away.

We are probably going to jump on this one. I don’t know if I want to wait until our next March 2019 Edge Cruise to book it on board to get a bit of a better deal or not. May have our agent see what they can work. Crazy isn’t it looking at cruises almost 2 years ahead. But it’s a good idea for these special itineraries and ships (the Edge early 2019 cruises are booking up quickly - the cruise before our’s has no Balcony’s left and ours only has 20 and 11 are Aqua).

Isn’t it great to have so many Cruise Lines that provide a varied experience? My suggestion though, is when your tired of a line, just move on and not spend too much time telling everybody why - i don’t mean this meanly, but most don’t care. Those that still love some line tend to pile on, and those that don’t like that line or just love to toss in cheap shots jump in and not a lot of useful info is shared. This thread has differed a bit from that since there is good discussions on other options,such as my great input on S America!!!!

And of course the poor Orator moving from his beloved soda to another.

Den

Prices now are definitely higher than ten years ago which is to be expected if the same product is offered . But Celebrity has greatly declined the product offered .

I agree food in the MDR is nowhere near what is was 10-15 years ago in selection, quality, service, presentation, or quantity.

On the first night of our last cruise the man next to us sent his food back twice. They were seated before us and we hadn't gotten our food yet. I thought he was a chronic complainer--how could it be so bad??? Then we got the same thing and I understood. The food was not good and not at all typical of celebrity throughout the cruise.

Our other favorite line is HAL which is always cheaper on similar itineraries/nights and their food has not declined. Every meal is prepared well and service is relaxing and wonderful .

We keep coming back to celebrity and hoping to be happily surprised it's back to its old wonderful experience. Hopefully this time.

OP hope you enjoy Viking . If not try HAL.

Have to disagree with you there. We went on Hal in December am

No regretted it, got a suite and the whole ten yards, Hal's food has really gone downhill and we ate in their dining room on only one night of seven, found Celebrity much better, were really disappointed with Hal

No regretted it, got a suite and the whole ten yards, Hal's food has really gone downhill and we ate in their dining room on only one night of seven, found Celebrity much better, were really disappointed with Hal

We sail less frequently on HAL than other lines because they are quieter and smaller ships, but we have always been pleased with them. A year ago December we sailed on Eurodam and it was very disappointing, especially the MDR. We really didn't enjoy the food except for 2 nights. I thought the buffet was much better, but my husband,(who is really picky), did not. I will say, I though they had an excellent burger at the Dive In.

It's funny that South America has been discussed on this thread because HAL always seems to have the best price for the 14 night cruise and it is a trip we have been wanting to take, but I'm just not sure I want to go on them again.

Quit complaining. You were cruising with TV stars! :)

article-2465571-18CE8DE300000578-277_634x467.jpg

Good thing we're only on the ship for 3 days in June, if this is true. I'm not sure anyone matches HAL's exotic itineraries, so we'll probably end up sailing with them occasionally, either way.

If Celebrity was once a luxury / luxury-light cruise line, I don't blame the "dear John" letters. However, it has been a mass market cruise line for years. I hope OP enjoys their Viking cruise, but it looks like an attempt to pump themselves up for their upcoming cruise. This is why we're hesitant to try Windstar too soon, afraid fo getting spoiled and looking down on the product we previously enjoyed, and regularly afford.

If Celebrity was once a luxury / luxury-light cruise line, I don't blame the "dear John" letters. However, it has been a mass market cruise line for years.

Celebrity has never been other than a Premium cruise line [same as HAL]. Azamara is luxury-light, and Seabourn [a Carnival Corp brand, since RCL doesn't have anything in that category] is luxury. Although Celebrity may have gone downhill in recent years, I believe that RCL is making sure there is a difference between Royal and Celebrity [just as CCL keeps Carnival separated from Princess and HAL, and all of those separated from Seabourn]