Are you and inadvertant pet peeve?

phoenix_dream

People need to take the stairs more often, and complain about elevators less. I need to be pretty drunk before I get in a germ filled elevator with the likes of cruise passengers..... YUCK!

Unfortunately not everyone is physically capable of walking up and down stairs, particularly for multiple floors. For myself, I always try to take the stairs when only a few floors are involved. Hope to work off a few of my cosmopolitans!

I hate it when people get off the elevator, stand there, look me in the eye and say “where’s the bingo” (or whatever). I now either ignore them or say do you see a Celebrity name tag on me. I feel they just can’t be bothered to research the location of the events they are looking for.

I have a feeling I'm completely misunderstanding the situation you are describing. :confused: If not, I would be tempted to be polite and give directions or tell I wouldn't know either and direct them to guest relations. When tourists ask about the trainstation or tourist office, I also try not to ignore them or tell them it's not my job to help.

My pet peeve are passengers (most often other men) who wear flip flops but don’t clip their toenails or keep them clean. It just disgusts me to look down and see so many men whose toenails are long like talons and crusted with something black and nasty underneath.

Maybe I should avoid looking down when I’m standing in the elevator or at the buffet line which is when I normally notice it, but that nastiness always jumps at me. Can’t help it. 🤮

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a feeling I'm completely misunderstanding the situation you are describing. :confused: If not, I would be tempted to be polite and give directions or tell I wouldn't know either and direct them to guest relations. When tourists ask about the trainstation or tourist office, I also try not to ignore them or tell them it's not my job to help.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Denny, I was also glad to see you return. When I first came over to the X boards, from RC -- back in 2010 -- you made me feel very welcome here. You were a great source of information and encouragement. And, if memory serves, you're part of the Navy family (our son is active duty, USN). You are SO right: Regardless of how we feel about X (or any particular cruise line), we are truly fortunate to be able to travel and see the world, in such a special way! Thanks for reminding us of that. :halo:

OK -- so, now I've inadvertently become that worst of all pet peeves -- that poster who drags a thread off-topic!:o;)

Thank you WW cruisers! I’ve enjoyed your posts, especially ones such as this - yup just hate it when some inconsiderate poster takes off on another topic or just gets into a personal discussion.

Den

Came late to this so sorry if this has been mentioned...leaving your balcony light on all night. It shines into MY balcony/room, too.

And my husband has a loud voice so I have trained him when walking down halls in the early morning or late at night I will say to him "Shhh - babies are sleeping!" That is how I feel...you never know who is behind that door...a baby, someone who is old or sick (or both) - you can wait to have your earth-shattering conversation until you get to a public area.

People need to take the stairs more often, and complain about elevators less. I need to be pretty drunk before I get in a germ filled elevator with the likes of cruise passengers..... YUCK!

Hopefully, you will never be drunk enough to have to take an elevator but you might get sciatica some day and you won't be able to go down even one flight of stairs. I used to wonder why people elected to take the elevator just one floor up or down. Now, I know.

Unfortunately not everyone is physically capable of walking up and down stairs, particularly for multiple floors. For myself, I always try to take the stairs when only a few floors are involved. Hope to work off a few of my cosmopolitans!

Well said. I do too (except when I've had sciatica) as I always gain weight on a cruise.

Came late to this so sorry if this has been mentioned...leaving your balcony light on all night. It shines into MY balcony/room, too.

And my husband has a loud voice so I have trained him when walking down halls in the early morning or late at night I will say to him "Shhh - babies are sleeping!" That is how I feel...you never know who is behind that door...a baby, someone who is old or sick (or both) - you can wait to have your earth-shattering conversation until you get to a public area.

Stick to the Solstice Class ships Where there are no lights on the balconies!!

I hate it when passengers have pet peeves, and they don’t say anything to the people who upset them.

Most door slammers are first time cruisers, once you point it out they stop it.

If someone coughed on my food I would set it on their table and tell them you coughed on it you eat it.

I usually point out the people that are in a hurry to get in the elevator.

Step in front of me in the buffet line I will usually pour the contents of my plate down your back.

Most of these rude people don’t read Cruise Critic, don’t wait till you get home to complain.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

“My pet peeve are passengers (most often other men) who wear flip flops but don’t clip their toenails or keep them clean. It just disgusts me to look down and see so many men whose toenails are long like talons and crusted with something black and nasty underneath........”

I realize this is about personal peeves, but did you have to really give us this word-picture of dirty toenails??? I don’t think I’ve ever looked at toes except for someone wearing glow-in-the-dark polish. I mean, it’s not like these dirty-toe guys are sticking them in your face. Doesn’t it take more than a little effort to see these unclipped, dirty toes???

—————————

“People need to take the stairs more often, and complain about elevators less. I need to be pretty drunk before I get in a germ filled elevator with the likes of cruise passengers..... YUCK!”

Agree with using the stairs when we can, and avoiding germ is a good ides, but it sounds as if you’ll also don’t want to share it with ‘the likes of cruise passengers’. you do realize these ‘likes of cruise passsengers’ are not restricted to elevators.

Den

“My pet peeve are passengers (most often other men) who wear flip flops but don’t clip their toenails or keep them clean. It just disgusts me to look down and see so many men whose toenails are long like talons and crusted with something black and nasty underneath........”

I realize this is about personal peeves, but did you have to really give us this word-picture of dirty toenails??? I don’t think I’ve ever looked at toes except for someone wearing glow-in-the-dark polish. I mean, it’s not like these dirty-toe guys are sticking them in your face. Doesn’t it take more than a little effort to see these unclipped, dirty toes???

—————————

“People need to take the stairs more often, and complain about elevators less. I need to be pretty drunk before I get in a germ filled elevator with the likes of cruise passengers..... YUCK!”

Agree with using the stairs when we can, and avoiding germs is a good ides, but it sounds as if you’ll also don’t want to share the elevator with ‘the likes of cruise passengers’. you do realize these ‘cruise passsengers’ are not restricted to just elevators.

Den

I hate it when passengers have pet peeves, and they don’t say anything to the people who upset them.

If someone coughed on my food I would set it on their table and tell them you coughed on it you eat it.

Step in front of me in the buffet line I will usually pour the contents of my plate down your back.

Most of these rude people don’t read Cruise Critic, don’t wait till you get home to complain.

Eek! Please wear a name tag. I would not want to inadvertently anger you on a cruise. Sometimes perfectly polite people make a mistake and I'd like to think of myself as forgiving.

Eek! Please wear a name tag. I would not want to inadvertently anger you on a cruise. Sometimes perfectly polite people make a mistake and I'd like to think of myself as forgiving.

People who make mistakes are usually apologetic

Thanks for the morning laugh!

I write this post not to complain per se, but to perhaps help people who are causing issues for others but don't realize it.

My pet peeve with other passengers is those who let their cabin doors slam. The doors are heavy and on too many occasions I have had the displeasure of being next to (or across the hallway) from passengers who exit (or enter) and let the door slam behind them. On a recent cruise, this was particularly annoying as we are early to bed/early to rise and our next door neighbors regularly came back to their cabins around 2:00 in the morning letting their door slam each time. Ugh! Woke me up many a time. The mean part of me wanted to do the same when I left my cabin at 8:00 am the next morning but I resisted, preferring to think they were doing it without realizing the noise it was causing.

I am writing this hoping some who read this have been doing it and just didn't realize it was causing their neighbors a problem.

Anyone else have any similar issues to address? Please don't even bother mentioning chair hogs. From what I have seen on these boards and experienced onboard they are well aware of inconveniencing others and just don't care. This thread is meant for people who are well-meaning but......

I have to confess that I may have been a bit guilty. We were recently on a Northern Lights cruise and it was so cold outside that we had to keep dodging back to the room from about 8.00 to 10.30 to warm up, and no matter how careful we were in closing our door we couldn’t stop it from making a noise. The alternative would have been for us to miss the Northern Lights which was the whole point of the trip. We apologised the next morning but they didn’t look too happy.

MY pet peeve is with people who go to the bathroom and leave WITHOUT washing their hands.

They then head into a restaurant or the buffet.

Very very very nasty.

Unfortunately, this likely does not fall under the category of 'inadvertent'. These folks know better but choose not to care:(

I have to confess that I may have been a bit guilty. We were recently on a Northern Lights cruise and it was so cold outside that we had to keep dodging back to the room from about 8.00 to 10.30 to warm up, and no matter how careful we were in closing our door we couldn’t stop it from making a noise. The alternative would have been for us to miss the Northern Lights which was the whole point of the trip. We apologised the next morning but they didn’t look too happy.

There's noise and then there's noise. You can't help the door closing making some noise - it's the nature of the beast. But those who just let it slam behind them are making exponentially a lot more noise than those who are simply just going in and out.

There's noise and then there's noise. You can't help the door closing making some noise - it's the nature of the beast. But those who just let it slam behind them are making exponentially a lot more noise than those who are simply just going in and out.

There is absolutely no reason to make any noise with the door at all, unless it’s faulty. I can just give the door a firm pull to and push it the other way to make sure it’s closed. I always do this. My neighbour wouldn’t even hear me going out or coming back in. It’s one of the reasons I’m not keen on the centrally located hump cabins. It’s too easy for Mr and Mrs Doorschlammer to be coming back and forth and I’ve suffered that before. Plus those cabins on the hump all have the same door abutting arrangement.

Phil

We walk up one or two floors, but more than that become really difficult. I admit to being annoyed when we wait for a while for an elevator then at the last minute someone rolls up on a scooter and expects instant access. I appreciate that they need the elevator, but they are not the only ones.

Yes, but on the flip side, people shouldn't judge someone else for taking the elevator up or down a deck or two. There are many people with invisible disabilities. My son has early onset Parkinson's Diseases. When he is with us, we use the elevators, always. Even if he's having a good day, the stairs can change that. We've had people make remarks that are rude and unkind, like his condition is a major inconvenience to others. Walk a mile in his shoes.

When my husband and I cruise alone, we take the stairs as much as possible. We pretend that walking the stairs balances out those desserts and cocktails.

Unfortunately, this likely does not fall under the category of 'inadvertent'. These folks know better but choose not to care:(

You’re probably correct that this behavior is nit inadvertent; it is more likely the result of poor home training.

It is, nonetheless, a pet peeve of mine.

Yes, but on the flip side, people shouldn't judge someone else for taking the elevator up or down a deck or two. There are many people with invisible disabilities. My son has early onset Parkinson's Diseases. When he is with us, we use the elevators, always. Even if he's having a good day, the stairs can change that. We've had people make remarks that are rude and unkind, like his condition is a major inconvenience to others. Walk a mile in his shoes.

When my husband and I cruise alone, we take the stairs as much as possible. We pretend that walking the stairs balances out those desserts and cocktails.

I have the same problem I have knees and legs that keep me from doing stairs, if people will listen I explain to them the reason

After the explanation they are sorry for saying anything. Know when to complain

Sent from my iPhone using Forums