Why aren’t there escalators on ships?

miched

There are so many accidents on escalators and I would think that would factor in. I worked at the airport and so many people had accidents weekly trying to carry their big luggage or not paying attention to safety warnings. And then kids love to play on escalators. But as other posters noted it does take up a lot of space. But those accidents could be very costly.

I think escalators can work out more expensive in the long run. 1 lift can take you up and down say 4 stories but you might need 8 escalators to do that. And if one of those goes out of service the whole system goes Tango Uniform. Servicing of escalators is also slow and when come to replace them it takes ages.

Escalators don’t break, they are just temporarily stairs.

I apologize for being such a nay-sayer, but they are just one more major item that can break down under the wrong circumstances, plus, do you want one operating next to your cabin. Just take a look at this image:

hpm_0000_0003_0_img0050.jpg

That tells me that a lot of space is used up.

Too dangerous. Last year our flight from uk to San Fran was delayed with most people on board as an elderly gent had fallen on the escalator in the terminal whilst on his way to plane

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the Norwegian Epic in Sept and there is an escalator I believe between decks 5 and 6 aft. Our stateroom is on 8 aft and my husband will have a scooter so we have to go to the fore elevators to get to deck 5. :confused:

And here is the proof.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/norwegian-epic-481/hallways-stairways-and-more-211977/hallways-stairways-and-more--v10706834/

Yes. We got to ride the escalators up from deck 3 to deck 5 a couple of times when we took galley tours.

We were on some cruise ships on other cruise lines that had escalators in passenger areas, so it would be more of a revival than anything new or novel.

That was long ago and I don't remember which ships they were.

How about a moving sidewalk between the front and rear of the ship, like they have at airports with long concourses?

That would be SO frustrating, as folks seem to think "moving walkways" are rides...and they don't walk...they just stand there going about 1/3rd slower than actual walking on a non-moving walkway! WALK people...WALK!!!

I always thought the ones leading to the galley must have been a problem for the waiters.

Why would they be a problem?

there are escalators (short ones) on several RCCL larger ships

Getting people to and from trivia and Bingo games I suspect is NOT a big priority somehow

Except when the ship was rocky rolly....

I don't remember. Did they stop operating them when it was active? I would think they would be safer than stairs since you can stand in place and have a handrail. I would think we would have used them in high seas all the times we were on C class ships. Memory, memory, wherefore art thou...

Sent from my KFDOWI using Forums mobile app

Getting people to and from trivia and Bingo games I suspect is NOT a big priority somehow

With a full load of trays in their hands, throws the balance off a bit.

Too dangerous. Last year our flight from uk to San Fran was delayed with most people on board as an elderly gent had fallen on the escalator in the terminal whilst on his way to plane

He could have easily fallen on stairs.

In the post of mine that you quoted, I was referring to the ones from the dining room to the galley not the ones used by passengers for trivia or bingo.

My quote:

"I always thought the ones leading to the galley must have been a problem for the waiters."

That would be SO frustrating, as folks seem to think "moving walkways" are rides...and they don't walk...they just stand there going about 1/3rd slower than actual walking on a non-moving walkway! WALK people...WALK!!!

Sir Yes Sir!

Looks like Dream Cruises' Global Class newbuilds will have some :D:

In addition to the usual 28 large elevators, the Global Class will also have eight sets of escalators connecting the public areas, the first cruise ship to have public escalators.

http://www.travelweekly-asia.com/Cruise-Travel/Construction-begins-for-Dream-Cruises-new-Global-Class-ship

They’re also incredibly heavy pieces of machinery.

Ship building is a constant set of trade offs between ideas/design and weight.

Why put in super heavy escalators to serve two floors when you’ve already got stairs and elevators that serve all floors?