New Drinks Menu

Riocca

Here are three "enhancements" that may be next!!!

1; Smaller glasses for the inclusive wines.

2: Smaller cups for coffee/tea

3: Smaller plates in dining venues to make the meals seem bigger.

I also note that the in cabin spirits (according to 1 website I have seen ) are offering only 1 bottle vodka and 1 whiskey (not stating if Irish or wherever as Scotch is WHISKY as uktog will well know).

Perhaps they are now miniatures as souvenirs.

Where has the gin and or rum gone?

Really stretching loyalty to the limits.

Azamara has one of the highest repeat rates as Larry proudly tells us but do they really think repeat cruisers do not notice these things?

Voyage prices going up then discounted at last minute

Reductions in amenities.

Come on Azamara.

Buck your ideas up and keep your loyalists happy or else you may end up with those who will take the all inclusive and ruin it.

We have already had comments about drunkenness on board.

Actually there is no mention at all of the Suite Spirits on the UK website this morning

548725d6069e81929af61fe42a402f64.jpg

Beginning to feel like death by a thousand cuts. Oh and another of our bookings is now selling below the price we are paying and our price had a 10% loyalty discount and early booking incentive (not)

Finding it harder than ever to feel any love. But you must remember Procter, maybe there’s been a strategic decision to stretch loyalty, a price to pay for some other indulgences by the parent company etc. Who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NCL is our preferred main stream cruise line, the food and service is of course no where near Asamara, but the included drinks, shows and the cabins are all significantly better IMHO. Neither has formal nights or fixed dining times. The free at sea is not totally free you get the beverage package for free but have to pay gratuities on it (about $18pppd) which is still very good value for us. Their smaller ships are still much bigger than the R ships but we never find them crowded or hard to navigate.

But if you have to pay $18pppd gratuities on a free beverage package then Azamara’s $15.95 (Premium) & $21.95 (Ultimate) pppd must be equally good value. Especially as LCV members get discounts on the Ultimate Package, we pay $17.56pppd so less than NCL’s gratuities.

We have had many very enjoyable cruises on Azamara, right from the days before it went "more inclusive" until our most recent in September 2017. It just felt like the right cruise line for us.

However, things are changing and I do not like what I am hearing. Prices are getting far too expensive (which is why we are going to Japan next April on Silversea, which offered much better value than a similar Azamara cruise); the introduction of Verandah plus cabins (which, apart from anything else, reduces the number of ordinary verandah cabins available); and now the reduction in the included drinks menu. This is making Azamara a much less attractive proposition - it is beginning to feel more like a mainstream cruise line (pay extra for this, pay extra for that) than a luxury line. Higher prices, less inclusions.

I’ve had an opportunity to ask the questions, the menu has just been issued from Miami so any comments are being fed back there.

As we see it there’s been a significant improvement to the Ultimate Package with the addition of more liquors, although unfortunately some have not made it to the ship yet. All Prosecco cocktails are included, my fault that I didn’t see the small print at the foot of the page. Also all wines are included, including the Nicolas Fueillatte champagne, it looks like some of the wines have also been upgraded. For us the Ultimate package represents good value with our 20% LCV discount, especially when purchased with OBC, but appreciate not all will see it that way.

Leaving this to last, the complimentary list I am told is definitive, which I appreciate will go down like a lead balloon. I have passed on the comments from here and they will be fed back to Miami. Although not great cocktail drinkers, from memory drinks like Mojito were never included but some bartenders would make one from the included liquor.

Thank you for finding out. You’re right, lead balloon puts it mildly. I feel sorry for the management on Journey having to manage another imposition.

My own recent experience of giving direct feedback on another change (not entertainment by the way) was less than positive so I probably wont waste my time. I can add it in my end of June cruise survey.

Clearly the push is to get you to buy packages.

I don’t drink enough to justify a package so for June now have to budget for one or two paid for drinks a day. That wasn’t in the plan!

Thank you for finding out. You’re right, lead balloon puts it mildly. I feel sorry for the management on Journey having to manage another imposition.

My own recent experience of giving direct feedback on another change (not entertainment by the way) was less than positive so I probably wont waste my time. I can add it in my end of June cruise survey.

Clearly the push is to get you to buy packages.

I don’t drink enough to justify a package so for June now have to budget for one or two paid for drinks a day. That wasn’t in the plan!

Ann I believe you are correct probably borne out by the number of passengers who have packages onboard, although that might only be an indication of how much OBC people have.

However I have yet to hear any negative comments about the available drinks, once again there are many passengers new to Azamara and the ones we’ve spoken to are perfectly happy.

We have had many very enjoyable cruises on Azamara, right from the days before it went "more inclusive" until our most recent in September 2017. It just felt like the right cruise line for us.

However, things are changing and I do not like what I am hearing. Prices are getting far too expensive (which is why we are going to Japan next April on Silversea, which offered much better value than a similar Azamara cruise); the introduction of Verandah plus cabins (which, apart from anything else, reduces the number of ordinary verandah cabins available); and now the reduction in the included drinks menu. This is making Azamara a much less attractive proposition - it is beginning to feel more like a mainstream cruise line (pay extra for this, pay extra for that) than a luxury line. Higher prices, less inclusions.

Completely agree MrMojoRisin,

Whether by accident or design it appears that Azamara is edging into the more mainstream cruise category which has less appeal to me.

Have recently done a price comparison with Seabourn, Regent et al and the true luxury lines are becoming more attractive by the day.

Azamara can charge whatever prices they like and offer whatever add ons they want but as soon as I perceive they are not offering value for money I look elsewhere.

Ann I believe you are correct probably borne out by the number of passengers who have packages onboard, although that might only be an indication of how much OBC people have.

However I have yet to hear any negative comments about the available drinks, once again there are many passengers new to Azamara and the ones we’ve spoken to are perfectly happy.

Yes and that’s the corporate view if you put your head above the parapet, everyone is happy, there’s been no complaints ratings are high

Hope all these newbies continue to regularly cruise with them in the future. I wonder how many of them cruised at fire sale prices? (Ok that’s a very very sore point for me on my June cruise and whatever the reasons or rationale boy it hurts my pocket and we can’t see beyond that, but I digress).

I remember in financial services a decade of chasing the “interest rate tarts”, depositors who would get in bed with anyone. Of course when push came to shove they disappeared like snow off a dyke as we’d say.

Azamara could catch a similar cold, I don’t want that to happen, I want to sail with them, but not with all these curved balls coming in from left field.

Actually there is no mention at all of the Suite Spirits on the UK website this morning

548725d6069e81929af61fe42a402f64.jpg

Beginning to feel like death by a thousand cuts. Oh and another of our bookings is now selling below the price we are paying and our price had a 10% loyalty discount and early booking incentive (not)

Finding it harder than ever to feel any love. But you must remember Procter, maybe there’s been a strategic decision to stretch loyalty, a price to pay for some other indulgences by the parent company etc. Who knows.

Depends where you look on the U.K. site. I found this on the ‘What is included on Azamara ‘ page.’ 28a7378454e713eaf6b13ba9604360bf.jpg

Spirits are mentioned on this page.

Also, the list of included drinks on the webpage has not changed. Legally surely if Azamara are still advertising a list of included drinks, then you should be entitled to them. I wonder what would happen if you asked for a drink on the webpage that was not on the list on the ship, and showed the website page? Could lead to an interesting discussion.

They seem to have lost the plot and been taken over by bean counters. They're the premium economy of cruise lines with old ships, small cabins and really bad bathrooms with prices to compare to the true luxury lines. The last thing you do is downgrade your amenities to equate to Economy. Shocking business decision for a line in Azamara's position.

There have been two changes on our Cuba cruise -- specifically, the change in itinerary deleting Cozumel and increasing overnights - but in so doing, also doubling the sea days - and now this change in amenities. In my field, one party to a contract isn't permitted to change the conditions of the contract after the agreement to the terms.

Now - I know that there is a reservation fo change the itinerary ... but more relevant to me, a 1st time customer -- these changes, along with the fact of the problems with accessing and navigating the web site, and the startling unilateral terminations of contracts, - 2 of which have been aired here - all balanced against the price of the cruise, make me begin seriously re-considering the choice of Azamara.

Many thanks to Riocca for keeping us up dated on the new drinks menus, but what about the included wines. Are there still 2 reds and 2 whites , plus rose and sparkling each day ? Whats the general consensus regarding quality, are they still including the awful V90 brand ?

Just an update, I’ve spoken to a few of the staff at the coal face and they tell me that they have had no negative reaction to the new menu. Cocktails were removed due to lack of demand and anything that was below 10% sales was looked at, which is why some of the liquors available have been changed.

From a personal point of view we have no complaints every thing onboard is going well it’s obvious there are new staff but they appear to be fitting in well.

Thanks for the update, though I have no idea how they really knew which cocktails were not popular as they did not always punch the terminals when included drinks were ordered. Typical, for some reason I drink the less popular ones so am screwed. Happens I guess. Glad its going well onboard.

I would still like an official confirmation about having non listed cocktails made with included spirits

Edited by uktog

But if you have to pay $18pppd gratuities on a free beverage package then Azamara’s $15.95 (Premium) & $21.95 (Ultimate) pppd must be equally good value. Especially as LCV members get discounts on the Ultimate Package, we pay $17.56pppd so less than NCL’s gratuities.

Yes, but for the Caribbean cruise we looked at on NCL, a week in a balcony cabin with the drinks and three specialty dining experiences was about $1120 PP. You can't sail on AZ for that. Granted, they are not similar experiences given the size of the ships, but sometimes, price wins out.

Just an update, I’ve spoken to a few of the staff at the coal face and they tell me that they have had no negative reaction to the new menu. Cocktails were removed due to lack of demand and anything that was below 10% sales was looked at, which is why some of the liquors available have been changed.

From a personal point of view we have no complaints every thing onboard is going well it’s obvious there are new staff but they appear to be fitting in well.

I can see drinks like Planters Punch not being ordered frequently, but Long Island iced teas and martinis? I find that hard to believe.

As someone pointed out, possibly you can still ask for a drink to be made with the included spirits, but as they no longer show Triple Sec as included, that means no Long Islands. Possibly I can still get a whiskey sour.

Although I've been on more than a dozen cruises in the past (a few Celebrity, a HAL, RCCL, Windstar, Princess), I travel as a solo and pay solo prices so I have to be selective in my choices.

I have wanted to try Azamara for awhile, so I recently booked a veranda cabin for a fall cruise. I was a little hesitant in booking due to the solo price but then thought "good food is included, a nice small ship, fewer people, tipping included, and the included drinks sounded pretty reasonable, so why not?"

Now fearing I'm either going to spend my two weeks being confused on what I can have while on board, or if there are enough satisfactory selections included to make it worth my while financially.

IF I had onboard credit, I probably wouldn't worry a bit, but I have no onboard credit. Final payment is due in another month or two, so I will need to make a decision shortly on whether to cancel.....although I really, don't want to.

Considering that martini and whiskey sour are on every top 10 popular cocktails list in the world .....

I’m confused...how can a Martini not be included if you are willing to have it with the included gin or vodka? And the same for other drinks? Also the proofreader in me would like to point out that Bloody Mary is spelled incorrectly and Daiquiri is in a different font than the rest of the list. Very low-end like the included alcohol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To follow up on Allison's point.......if I asked for Beefeater (included) chilled and poured into a cocktail glass with an olive would that be in the included package? What if I ordered a Gibson ( included) with an olive instead of an onion?? Jim Beam or Cutty with sour mix (from the included margarita)??

Seems like this needs to go back to the drawing board!

(please don't proofread..CC has no spell check lol)

I’ve had an opportunity to ask the questions, the menu has just been issued from Miami so any comments are being fed back there.

As we see it there’s been a significant improvement to the Ultimate Package with the addition of more liquors, although unfortunately some have not made it to the ship yet. All Prosecco cocktails are included, my fault that I didn’t see the small print at the foot of the page. Also all wines are included, including the Nicolas Fueillatte champagne, it looks like some of the wines have also been upgraded. For us the Ultimate package represents good value with our 20% LCV discount, especially when purchased with OBC, but appreciate not all will see it that way.

Leaving this to last, the complimentary list I am told is definitive, which I appreciate will go down like a lead balloon. I have passed on the comments from here and they will be fed back to Miami. Although not great cocktail drinkers, from memory drinks like Mojito were never included but some bartenders would make one from the included liquor.

Thanks for asking the questions. For us the upgraded beverage package being better or not is irrelevant. Azamara is being sold as an experience which included certain beverages from which we could choose ours without having to pay extra. Now they have reduced the options of those included beverages (they were never "complementary" since we paid for them in the included experience).

As many have noticed, the tendency is higher prices with reduced benefits. A pity our favorite cruiseline is going in this direction.

Ivi

Thanks for asking the questions. For us the upgraded beverage package being better or not is irrelevant. Azamara is being sold as an experience which included certain beverages from which we could choose ours without having to pay extra. Now they have reduced the options of those included beverages (they were never "complementary" since we paid for them in the included experience).

As many have noticed, the tendency is higher prices with reduced benefits. A pity our favorite cruiseline is going in this direction.

Ivi

I totally agree with your summary.

For as long as I’ve been coming here since the advent of the select included drinks there have been many posts of suggested enhancements. We have been always given the line of watch this space, with a positive spin. Now, out of the blue this happens. It’s hard to fathom the logic or method.

Phil