Are You Seeing Any Tuxes on Formal Night @ the MDR?

need2cruisesoon

You might see me :). Why? I own formal wear and the only change to wear the stuff is on cruises. So why not? DW always tells me it is better to be among the best dressed then not! And its fun.

But these days we would never suggest anyone rent a Tux unless they were cruising on Cunard.

Hank

You might see me :). Why? I own formal wear and the only change to wear the stuff is on cruises. So why not? DW always tells me it is better to be among the best dressed then not! And its fun.

But these days we would never suggest anyone rent a Tux unless they were cruising on Cunard.

Hank

Yes, always a couple for tuxes. Love the kilts. Haven't seen dinner jackets on the last several cruises, however.

Well everyone saw mine on three of the four formal nights of my Alaska doubleheader in May. On the first formal night of the second cruise I was not feeling well--and the ship was freezing cold--so I threw my hoodie over my dress shirt and tie and went to the buffet, then for a couple of ethanol-based curatives in Wheelhouse Bar; was my duty to not attend the production show in the Theater should I have been contagious.

I will say that on that second cruise--which embarked Memorial Day weekend--I saw the highest percentage of those testing the lower limits of the dress code at the Captains Circle party than I can ever remember. While wearing my tux I did pass on the bow tie, as I saw so few of those on all the formal nights as to worry that I would be mistaken for a head waiter. Likely will not bring one on any future Princess cruise.

I now see maybe one or two in the aft MDR at early TD. I see a few wandering around the ship but mostly in line to get their picture taken. It certainly is not more than five or so. They seem to all disappear after dinner. One thing I have noticed is less and less men are wearing a tie even though they may have on a suit. Looks like the tie is the next casualty and open collar is the trend. I do 7 day as well as 10+ day cruises.

Just off Sapphire - Baltics/Scandinavia and Royal - British Isles - 7 day, 14 day and 12 night cruises. I would say on formal nights in MDR's perhaps no more than 5% of men in tuxedos, the rest in business suits/Bermuda jackets/Blazers/Sports Coats or just casual, shirt and pants. No enforcement of dress codes.

All a bit of a farce now, enforce the codes or get rid of them. For example on our table of 8, formal night, one English chap in Tuxedo, 1 American in long sleeve shirt, me in Business suit and one other Aussie in a polo shirt, what a mix !! But the way it is these days.:halo::eek:

Just curious if this trend has died off completely on Princess ships?

Last October on the Regal I saw 2 guys wearing but that’s the extent.

I've seen more than that on the Royal Princess --- in the HORIZON COURT!

Because of the variety of dining, one way to look at it is to observe what men are wearing in the Princess Theater. My observation is that about 3/4 of the men have attire fitting the Princess recommendations for formal wear, at least at the earlier shows.

And if you go ballroom dancing before dinner, the percentage goes up to 90 % or so.

I must say the last time formal nights was formal was back in 2016, going down to dinner, the deck 7 looked great 75% of the men were dressed in suits and above. It really did make the two formal nights special.

But on our last cruise Feb this year, you would less than 50% in suits.

Cheers Don with a G&T

Edited by getting older slowly
use a & instead of a %

I still bring and wear mine . Now that I get my laundry done for free, it helps with packing because I know I can wear the same thing on two nights :) . At the end of the day I do it for myself and I will stay in it all night usually.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off Sapphire - Baltics/Scandinavia and Royal - British Isles - 7 day, 14 day and 12 night cruises. I would say on formal nights in MDR's perhaps no more than 5% of men in tuxedos, the rest in business suits/Bermuda jackets/Blazers/Sports Coats or just casual, shirt and pants. No enforcement of dress codes.

All a bit of a farce now, enforce the codes or get rid of them. For example on our table of 8, formal night, one English chap in Tuxedo, 1 American in long sleeve shirt, me in Business suit and one other Aussie in a polo shirt, what a mix !! But the way it is these days.:halo::eek:

It is not just the men.....Princess really needs to enforce the formal night dress codes for women....I see way more questionable dress there then from men in the MDR's.....they can get away with just about anything......:cool:

It is not just the men.....Princess really needs to enforce the formal night dress codes for women....I see way more questionable dress there then from men in the MDR's.....they can get away with just about anything......:cool:

What was that line from Saturday Night Live?: "It's not how you feel, but how you look. And you look Mahvoluus, dahling, Absoluutly Mahvoluus!(spell check crying here!)

My dh wears a tux. He says he sees others wearing them too. Me, I just notice that people tend to be dressed up. Our cruises are at least 10 days long.

Longer cruises tend to have more "traditional" pax. who tend to dress up more.

Personally, I don't see why people care what other people choose to do...as long as it doesn't affect someone else. If you want to wear a tux, fantastic. If you want to wear slacks and a polo, that's great too. It's YOUR vacation and you're spending YOUR hard earned money to enjoy it. Be yourself.

I filed a complaint one time at guest services and was contacted by someone from the MDR about what women wore on formal night. It seemed that they could wear about anything and claim it is formal. He told me that women can wear anything and that they are not challenged at the door.