Are Port Cabins Really Better?

HHIturtlelady

We just upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. We had a choice of the one remaining on the port side or three on the starboard. We took the port one because we were told it was better. Wanted to get pros and cons on this. It is under the fitness center too, any worries with that?

I've never heard Port was better outside of a view. I typically would book based on what's above/below us, avoid any of the smoking areas, proximity to stairs or elevators...and then see what the map is. If the view looks better on the Port, I'd go there.

We took the port one because we were told it was better. Wanted to get pros and cons on this. It is under the fitness center too, any worries with that?

I would worry about anyone that works out with free weights just dropping them on the deck when done.

I would worry about anyone that works out with free weights just dropping them on the deck when done.

Had this very problem on the Pearl in a portside 2 bedroom suite. My mother stayed in the 2nd bedroom and was very unhappy as she likes to sleep in and it started early in the morning everyday.

I've never heard that one side is better than the other. One end better than the other, I think we've all heard that either forward or aft is better, but it's all personal choice I suppose.

I think the only place one side or the other may make a difference is on a Hawaii cruise, do you want a view of the islands or do you want to see the ocean. I'm going to take a wild guess that when cruising by the Napali coast the ship will pivot like they do for glacier viewing, since it is an awesome view that you can only get from the water.

I've never heard Port was better outside of a view. I typically would book based on what's above/below us, avoid any of the smoking areas, proximity to stairs or elevators...and then see what the map is. If the view looks better on the Port, I'd go there.

I was told when we booked that port was nicer because of the view. But my internet searches seem to claim there is truly no difference. Me, I have only been on a cruise for work - not a lot of time for taking in the view so therefore no experience.

Does the ship always dock port side?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never heard that one side is better than the other. One end better than the other, I think we've all heard that either forward or aft is better, but it's all personal choice I suppose.

I think the only place one side or the other may make a difference is on a Hawaii cruise, do you want a view of the islands or do you want to see the ocean. I'm going to take a wild guess that when cruising by the Napali coast the ship will pivot like they do for glacier viewing, since it is an awesome view that you can only get from the water.

On the POA, the port side goes by the NaPali coast first before they u-turn for the starboard view. The first pass is closer and in more daylight than the second pass.

Which side can also make a difference on a tranatlantic or transpacific cruise, especially with a balcony. Going west, the port side faces south & gets more sunlight. The opposite is true going east.

We just upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. We had a choice of the one remaining on the port side or three on the starboard. We took the port one because we were told it was better. Wanted to get pros and cons on this. It is under the fitness center too, any worries with that?

Generally the 2 BR suite the second bedroom is adjacent to the Passageway and while the deck maybe carpeted

passing verbal chatter and noise maybe heard.

Sometimes it is not so much what is above you (below not consider no one dances on the ceiling) but also what

maybe right/left for/aft and that corridor passageway just outside your cabin.

Study the deck plans for area surrounding your cabin selection.

For sure the 2 BR suite next to the elevator/stairway foyer is going to be of concern - it won't be because of the

elevators or stairs but the guests traffic pattern.

As for which side of the ship is better re: port use - the nature of the port - ease in getting in and out - maneuvering ability of the ship.

At Miami either side can be used but if the port side is used then the ship must go up the canal to a point where

it can be turned. When ships arrive at Miami they generally go to the end of the canal turn and return to position

the starboard side for boarding the outbound cruise unless something intervenes like another ship in the canal

doing the same thing.

Some ports are set up for use on only one side.

When at sea the side of the ship looking towards land is not much of advantage over the side viewing the sea.

Generally you are far enough out that without binoculars or a telephoto camera lens there is not much to comment on.

Exception being the POA in Hawaiian waters - with the volcano in eruption and spectacular Na Pali coast line

of the island of Kauai. Alaska inside passage both sides see land and in vicinity of the glaciers the ship slows

and turns for everyone to have a view.

So make the most of what is available - if upgrading (bidding) you will not have a choice anyway.

On your next cruise you will be sufficiently educated as to what to avoid.

They said the ship always docks port side. I would love the view but am really concerned about being under the fitness center.

Which way (or side) faces the dock is determined by several factors, some of which are: the weather, maintenance on one side, work on life boats...and several more. There's no way to pre-determine which way a ship will dock.

They said the ship always docks port side. I would love the view but am really concerned about being under the fitness center.

There is no way to know which side of the ship is going to be toward land. It varies from port to port, and journey to journey. Whoever told you that had no idea what they were talking about.

I would definitely switch cabins if possible because the noise from the fitness center is going to start about 6:00 a.m. and run until about 10:00 p.m every day.

I suggest you switch to one of the starboard side two bedrooms. You will not be bothered by anything above them. I wouldn't risk being under the fitness center.

As for the views it is a crap shoot. In San Juan you will be parked next to another cruise ship so your portside view is as likely to be directly into cabins on the adjacent ship as it is to be of anything else. In St. Thomas the views are beautiful from both sides. In Barbados the views aren't much in any direction. In St. Maarten you will likely share the pier with another ship and there isn't any way to know which side of the pier you will be on. It isn't something you can control.

I was told when we booked that port was nicer because of the view. But my internet searches seem to claim there is truly no difference. Me, I have only been on a cruise for work - not a lot of time for taking in the view so therefore no experience.

Does the ship always dock port side?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. Not always.

I'd say each side is better about half the time.

hahaha!

You cannot be sure of which side any ship will dock in any port. If someone is on every sailing for a year maybe they can say better but as noted here it varies.

What I do is study the sailing route and consider views sailing in and out of each port, and try to predict which side will be better overall. But sometimes it is a toss up still. After that I consider what direction we will be sailing and whether I will see sunrises or sunsets most of the time... and do I want to be up early with the sun coming directly in the window? Maybe I do, maybe I don't. maybe my daughter disagrees. But I make the booking....

Um, yes.

And as others have said, as to most cruises, it does not matter whether you are on the port or starboard side of the ship.

I do the same...but I tend to gravitate more to the side of the ship that doesn't get the morning sun because I like to sit on the balcony with my coffee.

Look up the origin of the word POSH, supposedly standing for "Port Out, Starboard Home". The tale is that wealthy cruisers going from England to India would demand a port side cabin because they would (mostly) not be in the direct sun. On the way home, from India to England, the starboard side was preferred because it was mostly in the shade on that leg of the trip.

I think it's an interesting tale but I don't know if there's any validity to it. It could be, because ships then did not have air conditioning so a cabin could get very hot on the sunward side.

Too many variables for a definite answer. For instance if it is a cooler time of year you could find the balcony too cold to sit out if the side is facing north wheras a south facing balcony will get sun for most of the day (unless you are south of the equator of course!). On the other hand, if it is high summer the balcony facing south might be much too hot to use. Check the route map and work out which way the ship will be facing when it is on the move. I guess the direction the ship is when it is in port is more of a lottery, so you will have to take pot-luck.

Bottom line is that neither side has a monoploly on goodness. Some people even decide which side they like by whether the cabin is right or left-handed. Just enjoy whichever side you are on because both sides are on the ship anyway!