Cell phones usage on cruises?

rock the boat

Since we cruise Carnival, we all keep our phones with us so we can keep in touch on the ship and use The Hub app. I guess if I were on another line without an app similar to The Hub or some sort of Internet plan where we could keep in touch, then we wouldn't use ours.

I go on vacation to unplug. How many of you do the same? I lock my phone in the safe as soon as I get to my room and don't get it out til the end of the cruise.

Not me. I leave it on for texts and was glad I did. Started carrying cell phone while cruising 17yrs ago. Even back then ATT was local where I was going, San Juan/St Thomas. Have/had older Parents/Grand Parents and young kids/Grand Kids. Know can happen anytime but lost 3 family members while on cruises 2013-2016. For me was just quicker get infor and communicate ..

Edited by ONECRUISER

Not me. I leave it on for texts and was glad I did. Started carrying cell phone while cruising 17yrs ago. Even back then ATT was local where I was going, San Juan/St Thomas. Have/had older Parents/Grand Parents and young kids/Grand Kids. Know can happen anytime but lost 3 family members while on cruises 2013-2016. For me was just quicker get infor and communicate ..

Sorry about your lost. While on our wedding cruise my aunt passed away while traveling in Iceland. It was a freak accident. My family knows how to contact the ship in an emergency and in that case I would get my phone out of the safe. Everyone has their own reasons but if I'm on vacation its just that. I have a camera so I don't need the phone for pictures. And when I cruised with my kids we had small walkie talkies.

As much as would like to completely disconnect on vacation, for me, it just isn't feasible. We have very elderly parents, kids and grandkids that we would want them to be able to get ahold of us in an emergency.

On our last cruise in September, my brother was gravely ill in the hospital. I needed to be available. Unfortunately, he died the day after we got home.

When working, I used the cell phone 24/7, in retirement I don't even have one. Haven't had a phone in 6 years and have never missed it.

Our lives used to be dominated by the phone... we retired into a valley with no signal, and, like you, we've never missed it.

Our phones stay in the safe. We usually do use internet to keep contact with home, especially our elderly mother. We are not big phone users like lots of people anyway.

Hey, we even have a land line--but mostly because the cell phone service at our home is not the best.

I play games on my phone, so have it around. Check email a couple of times per day. Use it as a camera. Carry on shore for maps.

The two of us share an internet package, so can't be on all the time.

Nope. Not only do I need to check my emails for work, I also write a travel blog for a few family and friends (though I don't actually use my phone for that, I don't "unplug"). The blog started because my father felt better "hearing from" me at least every couple of days, and now I just keep it going even though he has passed. My phone, specifically, is also how I listen to music or audiobooks, and how I read or play games when I'm dining alone. It's also what I use for maps and keeping track of time when I'm ashore.

I go on vacation to unplug. How many of you do the same? I lock my phone in the safe as soon as I get to my room and don't get it out til the end of the cruise.
I understand your sentiment. I make my living by working on the Internet, so I have no intention of purchasing a super-expensive yet slow Internet package. (Not unless the company I work for is paying for it.) As for leaving my smart phone in the safe? No way. I will be using my phone in airplane mode with Bluetooth enabled for the following:

• Camera.
  • Music Player - I will have pre-downloaded some albums from my Plex server for playback during the cruise.
  • Video Player - Pre-download some shows or movies for viewing while I'm waiting.
  • Audio book player - Audible anyone?
  • Maps - I've pre-downloaded maps for the areas that I'm cruising in. This was extremely handy during the Alaska cruise last year when cruising the inside passage.
  • Know where the ship is parked - Although it was intended to help you save where your car is parked, you can also use the parking mode of Google Maps to save where the ship is parked.

Then, of course, when in port, it's handy to find local places to eat as well as check on bank balances.

It's with me 24/7, always connected. It's 2018. When will we be able to unlock our cabin doors, order food/drinks brought to our current on board location, live stream the muster drill, get real-time personalized notifications, bio-recognition and location-based features and suggestions, etc. while on board using our phones?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I understand your sentiment. I make my living by working on the Internet' date=' so I have no intention of purchasing a super-expensive yet slow Internet package. (Not unless the company I work for is paying for it.) As for leaving my smart phone in the safe? No way. I will be using my phone in airplane mode with Bluetooth enabled for the following:

[list']

[*]Camera.

[*]Music Player - I will have pre-downloaded some albums from my Plex server for playback during the cruise.

[*]Video Player - Pre-download some shows or movies for viewing while I'm waiting.

[*]Audio book player - Audible anyone?

[*]Maps - I've pre-downloaded maps for the areas that I'm cruising in. This was extremely handy during the Alaska cruise last year when cruising the inside passage.

[*]Know where the ship is parked - Although it was intended to help you save where your car is parked, you can also use the parking mode of Google Maps to save where the ship is parked.

Then, of course, when in port, it's handy to find local places to eat as well as check on bank balances.

The cruise is a time for the wife and I to reconnect. We have no distractions except maybe the love and marriage game.:D We plan most of our excursions with local companies and they tend to be better than the ship excursions at a cheaper rate. The locals are also a good source in finding a good place to eat and have never steered me wrong after 23 cruises. Everyone has there reasons for staying connected but mine is to stay connected with my wife.

We plan most of our excursions with local companies and they tend to be better than the ship excursions at a cheaper rate. The locals are also a good source in finding a good place to eat and have never steered me wrong after 23 cruises. .

I never do excursions (independent or from the cruise), so a compass and a map are necessities. To each his own.......

It's with me 24/7, always connected. It's 2018. When will we be able to unlock our cabin doors, order food/drinks brought to our current on board location, live stream the muster drill, get real-time personalized notifications, bio-recognition and location-based features and suggestions, etc. while on board using our phones?

Hotels are moving this way. A number of Marriotts can use your phone for your key.

When will we be able to unlock our cabin doors, order food/drinks brought to our current on board location, live stream the muster drill, get real-time personalized notifications, bio-recognition and location-based features and suggestions, etc. while on board using our phones?
The ship on my upcoming cruise, the Celebrity Equinox, is one of the three ships that currently supports the Celebrity app. Of course, this is Celebrity IT, so there are sharp edges.
Hotels are moving this way. A number of Marriotts can use your phone for your key.
Thanks for the reminder! I just downloaded the Hilton app for the digital room key.