A cruise ship visit!

cruiseshipfan18

I saw that some cruise lines offer ship visits while the ship is in port. Has anyone been on a visit and how do they work! Thanks!

We visited a Holland America ship while in port in San Diego. It was arranged by our Travel Agent.

I know Princess also offers a Bon Voyage experience (for a fee) at some ports.

HAL might be the exception, but most cruise lines do not allow non-traveling guest visits with the exception on some for travel agents - as mentioned - who arrange (usually for a fee) to bring prospective customers on board for a brief tour while in the home port. The other exception generally is for guests attending a wedding on board prior to departure.

But with the current security regulations and the chaos involved with boarding new passengers for the next departure, non-cruising guests are not allowed on board most cruise lines. To be sure, you would need to contact the cruise line(s) you are interested in to confirm their policy.

When I was a kid in the 1960s, my grandparents took my cousin and me aboard their favorite ship, the SS Canberra, when it made a visit to Seattle. My GPs arranged the visit which included lunch in the dining room. They weren't passengers at the time, but they had been on the ship 2-3 times before.

Not that that is in any way relevant to what happens today... ;-)

I believe Princess does...it may be called the BVE, Bon Voyage Experience. But, again, this is where people already on board as paid pax, "guest" someone on for a tour and lunch, on the day of sailing.

I don't think you need to be associated with a passenger (although most probably are) for a BVE. When I read about it last year I thought it was around $40 for a few hours access to the ship and lunch in MDR (possibly also a drink). The $40 fee could then be applied as a credit to a future sailing.

My info is a year old though - and based on an often poor memory;) - so double check Princess for current details.

We've visited a HAL ship when she was visiting Scotland- we saw the details on a forum. We had the freedom of the ship until lunch, which was excellent, and included wine, and afterwards watched a presentation about the line. It was free

Sometimes Cunard and P&O offer visits and lunch for a few ££,and I've known people who were at Southampton waiting to board a different line the following day, who have used the offer for their lunch.

If you are not a travel agent or can get an invitation thru them, there is another way...belonging to a ship enthusiast organization, like I do....we usually go on a couple of different ones each year. We do pay a fee, part of which goes to the cruise line, and part to our organization treasury, as a fund raiser. It includes a tour of the ship, a full course luncheon with wine in the MDR, and some time after for individual tour. We disembark mid afternoon. If anyone is interested .....http://www.worldshipny.com/

Many years ago, it was very common for friends and family to board along with passengers, staying aboard until just before departure. I recall making many P/A announcements for all visitors ashore.

The Ship Security Manual, a requirement of the ISPS Code clearly outlines restrictions on visitors and what requirements must be met in advance, normally a few days before arrival.

My experience is with Princess, but I suspect other lines will be very similar. This is a selection of the opportunities, I am aware of for visiting a cruise ship in port

- Friends/family of one of the officers - full names, DoB, Passport details must be submitted by the officer to Ship Security Officer, at least 3 to 4 days before arrival. No costs or restrictions on time aboard

- Princess BVE Program - available to passenger's friends/family, or Travel Agent potential customers. Costs are about $40 pp, but they receive a future cruise credit. About 4 hrs + includes lunch. I believe personal details are provided online

- Various Marine Organisations - as per previous post

- Cruise Company Vendor - being friends with a vendor can also provide free access. Personal details provided to the vendor, who make arrangements in advance.

Personally, I have used all of the above, except the BVE program.

Here in Australia, some TAs invite loyal customers to enjoy a day (1/2 day) aboard a ship while in port. Sometimes, they make it a contest and others it is just an offer, some have even offered a spot for a fee (i.e $50 pp) first in best dressed. As we don't live close to the nearest port, I haven't been able to participate as yet.

Many years ago, it was very common for friends and family to board along with passengers, staying aboard until just before departure. I recall making many P/A announcements for all visitors ashore.

The Ship Security Manual, a requirement of the ISPS Code clearly outlines restrictions on visitors and what requirements must be met in advance, normally a few days before arrival.

My experience is with Princess, but I suspect other lines will be very similar. This is a selection of the opportunities, I am aware of for visiting a cruise ship in port

- Friends/family of one of the officers - full names, DoB, Passport details must be submitted by the officer to Ship Security Officer, at least 3 to 4 days before arrival. No costs or restrictions on time aboard

- Princess BVE Program - available to passenger's friends/family, or Travel Agent potential customers. Costs are about $40 pp, but they receive a future cruise credit. About 4 hrs + includes lunch. I believe personal details are provided online

- Various Marine Organisations - as per previous post

- Cruise Company Vendor - being friends with a vendor can also provide free access. Personal details provided to the vendor, who make arrangements in advance.

Personally, I have used all of the above, except the BVE program.

On my club visit's, we need to give our driver's license number in advance, when signing up for the visit. At the port, we sometimes surrender our license in exchange for a visitor ID. At the conclusion, we turn in the ID, and receive our license back.

On a recent visit (on Carnival Horizon), they checked our license, took a photo of us, and gave us an ID, which we turned in when exiting the ship...we retained our license that time.

I think that Princess BVE is a great idea...since they give you a full credit towards a future booking, it is essentially getting the tour and luncheon, free....:cool: