Bermuda for a 1st Cruise?

basicprincess24

We're planning a cruise in May with some friends who will be first-time cruisers. We really think the whole group would love the Escape, which will be sailing to Bermuda for the dates we're considering. For anyone who has been to Bermuda - would you recommend this itinerary for a first cruise? Phrased another way, would a Bermuda cruise get someone "hooked" on cruising in the same way an island-hopping Caribbean itinerary would? The other option we're considering is an Eastern Caribbean on the Breakaway.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

I am taking my parents on their first cruise next month. I am a little worried about the fact that it's Bermuda cruise (also on the Escape) because one of my mom's fears is feeling "trapped" on the ship for too long. I am hoping that all of the stuff to do on sea days will alleviate that dear. But I know exactly where you are coming from, as I really want my parents to get hooked on cruising!

Daughter and I cruised on Escape to Bermuda in June and liked it so much that we booked it again next May. We are not only hooked on Bermuda, but also hooked on the Escape. Next May will be our third Escape cruise (twice to Bermuda and two years ago to the western Caribbean).

We enjoyed being in port for almost three days and not having to be back early for the ship departing for another port. Lots to do in Bermuda. Check out the Bermuda ports of call forum on Cruise Critic for more information about what to do in Bermuda.

Bermuda from NYC was my first cruise back in 1978 .

7 nights , a good mix of @ sea days and island exploring .

A well to do island with no one selling you junk on their beautiful beaches . Caribbean has beautiful beaches but

poverty is present everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first cruise was Boston to Bermuda in 2009 with my mother. I got home and said to my husband “what the heck have we been waiting for? That was a real vacation.” We have been sailing with Ncl ever since. We were hooked. Caribbean is my first choice but Bermuda was what got me addicted.

We're planning a cruise in May with some friends who will be first-time cruisers. We really think the whole group would love the Escape, which will be sailing to Bermuda for the dates we're considering. For anyone who has been to Bermuda - would you recommend this itinerary for a first cruise? Phrased another way, would a Bermuda cruise get someone "hooked" on cruising in the same way an island-hopping Caribbean itinerary would? The other option we're considering is an Eastern Caribbean on the Breakaway.

Our first cruise was to Bermuda .It is my alltime favorite place in that part of the world.

I think your first-timers will be fine, while it's only one port of call, Bermuda is beautiful and there is so much to do there, you really get a chance to explore the Island. Plus, to me, it doesn't matter where the ship is going, it's going to be relaxing and the only thing you have to worry about is what time you should go to bed!!

I think its a great idea- just went on that route in May and did it 5 years ago. What I like is there are 3 sea nights, 2 nights in port and 2 nights back. You have 2 complete days in Bermuda where you don't have to worry about when you get back to the ship. I would also recommend viewing on bermuda sites things to do to see if there are places you would like to visit. I actually have 2 more booked the next 2 years.

I think that Bermuda will be an excellent first cruise for your mom. The atmosphere of the Island is so much different than the Eastern or Western Caribbean.

I find Bermuda to be cleaner, safer, with far less people trying to hawk goods to visitors on the street. The public transportation system with buses and ferries make visiting the island easy and convenient. There is a visitor's shack near the pier where ferry and bus tickets are sold, and pamphlets for tourist attractions are available.

The restaurants, though expensive, are wonderful We never hesitate to eat in local eateries.

Being in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days doesn't feel long at all. There is so much to see and do, that I wish we could be there longer than that.

As for the Caribbean, the islands are lovely, but have a totally different vibe than Bermuda. Personally, I would not care to overnight there the way we do in Bermuda.

My first cruise was the one that hooked me in 1999. Although, it was on a different cruiseline to the Caribbean, with girlfriends, I haven't stopped, and my husband comes now.. Bermuda is our favorite cruise destination, and we're booked again for next year.

My POV is it all depends on what type of friends are in the group. If your party likes to just hang out, relax, have a few drinks, see some shows and enjoy the ship. Then take a few days enjoying a beautiful island, then a few days to relax again then the Bermuda trip will be great. If on the other hand, your group is looking for adventures such as zip line, diving, etc. Then I would look at multi stop carribien cruises. Either you will love it or hate it depends on your perspective

This is hard to say. It depends on what one expects out of cruising. Truthfully, I can think of other itineraries that would be my choice for first timers. Spending so much time on the ship for only 2 days and 1 port doesn't offer a very good overall view of cruising. But then, sailing on a larger ships with lots of activities might be what some are looking for.

It was many years ago , 1st cruise on a much smaller cruise ship than todays giants .

Also docked @ all 3 Bermuda ports on that 7 night cruise from NYC.

Crossing the Gulf Stream to Bermuda was a bit ruff so we looked forward to a couple days on land before the ruff return . The return was smooth as glass . We were hooked on cruising then . Almost 80 cruises now but who's counting?

Bermuda is great first cruise destination, especially if it’s on a mega ship like the Escape.

We started cruising out of Boston to Bermuda back on the Majesty. Floating hotel and restaurant for a multi-day visit to Bermuda. If you want to be “surprised” feel free to book a visit to Bermuda without the cruise ship. It will make the cruise cost next to nothing.

As for why the mega ship will be a good choice is that mega ships on port days feel empty. You can do whatever without a wait. Last port day on Escape over the summer had my daughter and I using the slides with no lines until her heart was content. Bermuda will give you 3 or so days of this.

Third part is at sea days. They are the best and get better with back to back sea days, which this cruise should provide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all so much!! This has definitely eased my mind about Bermuda for first time cruisers. All the photos and videos look so gorgeous - I cant wait to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went to Bermuda on the Escape with my parents a coupe of years ago and it was great! Beautiful beaches, get on and off the boat at your leisure, lots of activities to do. I think everyone will love it!