New Wine List Rolling out on the Golden

IECalCruiser

We are on the Regal and do have a new wine list.  Since I never memorized the old list I have to go from memory, but the new list is similar to the old list with substantial price increases of at least 20% and often more.  And there are no more wine packages...at least on this cruise.  The Chateau Petrus is now priced over $5300 😴

Hank

Wow!  Thanks for telling about the price increases on the Regal's wine list.  This rings true to me.  On my Alaska cruise on the Emerald in late September, the Silverado Sauvignon Blanc "Miller Ranch" was much more expensive than I remembered from before.

2 hours ago, Cruisin'Rabbit said:

Wow!  Thanks for telling about the price increases on the Regal's wine list.  This rings true to me.  On my Alaska cruise on the Emerald in late September, the Silverado Sauvignon Blanc "Miller Ranch" was much more expensive than I remembered from before.

Johnny Millers label   👍

I have only just now seen and read this thread-- I was curious about the topic because I am a "wino" and had heard about the new list elsewhere on the website.

While I've read some comments expressing disappointment, I am quite impressed...I'd say the expertise Princess deployed has paid off.  I am familiar with many, perhaps most, of these wines, because they are just the sort of bottles I look for and am likely to purchase for everyday enjoyment.  They're not too pricey, but provide great VALUE for the money spent.  I think it's a better list than most land-based restaurants can boast.

Edited by jeph

6 hours ago, jeph said:

I have only just now seen and read this thread-- I was curious about the topic because I am a "wino" and had heard about the new list elsewhere on the website.

While I've read some comments expressing disappointment, I am quite impressed...I'd say the expertise Princess deployed has paid off.  I am familiar with many, perhaps most, of these wines, because they are just the sort of bottles I look for and am likely to purchase for everyday enjoyment.  They're not too pricey, but provide great VALUE for the money spent.  I think it's a better list than most land-based restaurants can boast.

Agree for the white wine by the glass list, no so much for the red wines by the glass.  Those that get the bev package and like wine should be very interested in the by the glass options.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:05 PM, suzyed said:

I agree with you. I would rather elevate my dining experience with a nice wine than drink a lesser wine to match the quality of the dinner and thus creating a totally mediocre dining experience.

I like your point of view. Much like not having bad wine completely ruining a meal if the food is very good. I was going to buy wine in Southampton but now I won’t. Plus not many California wines to buy there. Not much a fan of Australian wines, particularly Shiraz. If you can recommend a few really good Australian wines on the new list, I am willing to try again.

The grape Syrah is farmed dry in California while in Australia fertilized and watered. Much prefer California. Did try a Shiraz from Total wines for about $18 and it was ok. 

6 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Agree for the white wine by the glass list, no so much for the red wines by the glass.  Those that get the bev package and like wine should be very interested in the by the glass options.

Quite a few cruises ago Mrs. XBGuy and I went down to the dining room for dinner on the first evening of a Hawaii cruise.  We ordered a bottle of white wine and started on that with the "starters" portion of our meal.  I'd ordered red meat for my entree, and, so, I wanted to have a glass of red wine with that.  When I asked the waiter for the glass of red wine, he suggested that I order a bottle.  Whatever I did not drink that evening would be saved for subsequent evenings on the two-week cruise.

His logic was inescapable.  If you figure that Princess pours five single-glass servings from a bottle, it is easy to see that buying one bottle is less expensive than buying five glasses.

Since that trip, it is easy to spot the XBGuys table while they are dining.  They are the ones at the two-top with two bottles of open wine.

:classic_laugh:

• Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 7:07 AM, Hlitner said:

We are on the Regal and do have a new wine list.  Since I never memorized the old list I have to go from memory, but the new list is similar to the old list with substantial price increases of at least 20% and often more.  And there are no more wine packages...at least on this cruise.  The Chateau Petrus is now priced over $5300 😴

Hank

Well that is unsettling news about the price increase.  

8 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Quite a few cruises ago Mrs. XBGuy and I went down to the dining room for dinner on the first evening of a Hawaii cruise.  We ordered a bottle of white wine and started on that with the "starters" portion of our meal.  I'd ordered red meat for my entree, and, so, I wanted to have a glass of red wine with that.  When I asked the waiter for the glass of red wine, he suggested that I order a bottle.  Whatever I did not drink that evening would be saved for subsequent evenings on the two-week cruise.

His logic was inescapable.  If you figure that Princess pours five single-glass servings from a bottle, it is easy to see that buying one bottle is less expensive than buying five glasses.

Since that trip, it is easy to spot the XBGuys table while they are dining.  They are the ones at the two-top with two bottles of open wine.

:classic_laugh:

Same with the Wattles 😍

• Like 1

Thanks XB Guy and Wattles.  My point is that the bev package loses some of its value to wine drinkers if the wines by the glass are not one's preference.  Adding a few more choices would easily meet our expectations. We recently completed a cruise on Seabourn where included wines were very nice and no tipping to get prompt service.  We have a Princess cruise booked that included the bev package and are looking at ways to imitate the same experience (yes, we know it will not be equal).  Thanks to your input, we may just carryon or purchase red wines; the whites by the glass and other beverages on the package will be welcome.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:38 PM, GKGKeri said:

I had not seen these prior to embarkation. Apologies if someone already posted. 

4E553E95-C7F5-4941-93C4-3FBF5F17F228.jpeg

7DE8D2BA-697E-45A5-B2EC-2717614FCBA3.jpeg

B21E4B2A-62F9-4668-B138-2B1730371CB0.jpeg

7E82D365-5DFA-46B4-A0DE-798A42BC00E1.jpeg

FE25E2CB-1D32-4062-80D9-CB10AB9F0806.jpeg

CA426554-27CD-4537-8557-D4F70F6FF2EB.jpeg

A11FBE64-1FCB-4BEB-9FDB-F7497F6E65BC.jpeg

A99F8662-2067-4093-B9F9-812D52101684.jpeg

E193F5C7-9256-4A7D-82A1-49B88BD342D3.jpeg

E4D905CD-53C6-4D6B-BC60-C9A94543E141.jpeg

47E1AD50-C829-438A-AFE5-23D478C8D3D0.jpeg

98038D77-8B2D-434A-97F1-001DEC7E8BF9.jpeg

5E03E04B-09B9-4AB7-9EA7-7C52B9B1ED30.jpeg

C29B1C3D-EE10-4885-9315-48FEFCEDBAA6.jpeg

OMG!!! 😱

From $12 to $16 (and you can't just pay the $4 difference as you can on Celebrity).😡

That's awful.😱

1 hour ago, chamima said:

OMG!!! 😱

From $12 to $16 (and you can't just pay the $4 difference as you can on Celebrity).😡

That's awful.😱

When it costs more, it's not included in the drinks package, you can still pay for it though.  😞 

7 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

When it costs more, it's not included in the drinks package, you can still pay for it though.  😞 

Yes- you can pay the full $16.😡

I was just commenting that on Celebrity if you have a drink package you just pay the upcharge.

AND that  a $4 /glass change in price is a lot.

(However, know that to buy a full bottle would be $25 at any wine store AND , if you have the drink package , about $46 to buy a bottle ($58 - 20%) on the ship.)

Edited by chamima

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I was just commenting that on Celebrity if you have a drink package you just pay the upcharge.

(However, know that to buy a full bottle would be $25 at any wine store AND , if you have the drink package , about $46 to buy a bottle ($58 - 20%) on the ship.)

I think we were saying the same thing.

I prefer Celebrity's way as well. 🙂 I used to get the drink package out of convenience on Princess, but with the changes in package and pricing, I will start taking my own wine, paying corkage and buying other drinks as I go. 

2 hours ago, chamima said:

All land based bars and restaurants also have a huge mark up.  If you buy it for $25 and then add in the $15 corkage it comes to almost the same thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, memoak said:

All land based bars and restaurants also have a huge mark up.  If you buy it for $25 and then add in the $15 corkage it comes to almost the same thing.

I wasn't questioning the bottle price - just the by-the-glass price.

9 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I thought it was 25% off on bottles of wine?

I just checked and you're correct. So that makes that $58 bottle of Silverado cost $43.50, or about $7/glass - FAR from the $16 they're charging. Even before the 25% it's about $10/glass.

Problem is that we already have the package - for this year, at least.

We'll definitely reconsider in the future.