Favorite thing about Princess?

ChicagoCruisin

Taking first Princess cruise in November, really excited to try a new line. What is your favorite thing about Princess compared to other lines? What do you look forward to most?

Thank you for your thoughts!! :)

Stackable OBC, International Cafe, no charge room service 24/7, laid back atmosphere, Movies Under the Stars, well priced drinks and specialty restaurants , Share, live music..

Always available Creme Brûlée. Alfredo’s pizza. Fettuccini Alfredo. Pina colada soup. IC. Volcano.

Nice staff. Nice atmosphere. Bigger balconies (some ships C deck). Mix of passengers.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From your cruise history I see you are booked on the Royal Princess. Try Alfredo's, deck 6 mid ship, open 11am until late evening every day. Waiter served pizza, calzone, antipasto, salads, desserts, all no charge. It's a nice location for boarding day lunch.

The International Cafe is really nice, no charge for food, open 24/7. This is also where you will find one of the espresso bars. There is a charge for espresso drinks.

The buffet is great. Super large selections. Walk through it all before you make your choices. Made to order omelets in the morning at the most aft line.

Like wine? Try Vines in the Piazza. Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar deck 7 mid ship is also nice, menu priced items.

In the evening Crooner's is a popular location. It's a piano/singer lounge. You may or may not like the current entertainer.

A tip for shows. For the 8pm hour shows arrive at least 30 mins. early. For The Secret Silk and Encore (or maybe it's Bravo, similar shows on different ships), arrive around 45 mins. early. 10pm shows are not as crowded.

Afternoon tea in the DR is nice, no charge. On formal days there is a special Royal tea in the Piazza, $10 charge applies or $20 with champagne.

Any specific questions please ask.

It used to be the laundry rooms on each deck ( no kidding !)’ but then I found Downy Wrinkle Release- no more ironing for me.

So, it is the International Cafe for specialty coffees and the seating areas in the Piazza for people watching and various entertainment during the day and evening.

It just fits us, in terms of the onboard experience, the itineraries, sailing out of Sydney, stackable OBC, Aus$ onboard.

A couple of things on other lines I wish Princess had, but for the total package, it’s Princess for us.

(With rare exception) Mature fellow passengers.

Granted, we usually sail outside of school holidays, but the (general) lack of unsupervised kids onboard Princess is a big plus for us. While Princess bills itself as 'family-friendly', we've found that often translates to parents traveling with their adult (or near adult) children.

A large portion of the Princess' demographic are those at-or-near retirement age. Often, they are 'empty-nesters' so-to-speak. For that reason, most are able to cruise sans young kids. Many may also have more vacation time available, and perhaps not possessing the desire to have to 'let-loose' as much from the perceived doldrums of daily life.

We've found on the cruiselines that focus target families more, for a larger portion of passengers onboard, available vacation time may be more limited. Cruising may provide an opportunity to allow the cruiseline to babysit their kids for them, so that parents might be able to enjoy some personal time together.

One might still occasionally see some kids 'horsing' around unsupervised on Princess ships, and occasionally a passenger that might have had a 'few too many' acting mildly obnoxious, but this is more the exception and not the rule.

i'm comparing 2 trips on NCL breakaway to 1 trip on regal princess to canada

if you want outdoor things like rope climbing and slides the BA is the clear winner. if you want crowds everywhere on a narrow big ship, yes I mean that, BA wins. the halls are all too narrow and theres nothing to do inside on rainy days. if you want a jam packed atrium with fun activities that you have to fight for a seat for, the BA wins. once one event is over you have to literally be standing next to the seat to get it before someone else does. also putting atrium next to guest services is silly. if you want one long line for a buffet with people jamming plates into your back, the BA wins. (my fav thing to do is scratch my back or go for my wallet then run my arm into their food and say sorry I had no idea you were that close to me). if you want 2 hour long broadway shows and excellent dancing , the BA wins. (and I hate dancing shows but I was very impressed). if you want an exclusive area such as the haven at prices the same or a bit more than princess, NCL would be your choice. nice to have a butler and own haven from a bustling ship along with a special restaurant they know your name and choices.

regal had a much easier boarding process. much classier ship. and other than muster I thought I was virtually alone on the ship. the buffet arrangement is fantastic. everything spaced out. however if you aren't careful you will miss the made to order station at the back of the buffet. sigh. I did. regal has TONS of indoor space on rainy days. lot of places to sit. I enjoy princess live and the silly things they do in there. the piazza is 1000% better than the other ship. 3 floors of seating to watch things. SO much better organized. you aren't closed in like the BA. bar and international café close by but not intrusive.

alfredos is great pizza and the grill next to the pool had some good stuff. the room service had surprisingly good quality. never any full hot tubs and the water light show was neat. so are the 1st run movies under the stars. or even all the stuff on tv in your room is so much better than the BA. good after tiring day on shore. the ultimate balcony dinner is so worth the 100 bucks! get it. you wont regret it. best filet ever. yum. pizza from lido deck is perfect for bringing back to your room and eating after you are done your main munching and want something afew hours later :)

I do think its antiquated for a new ship to have to look for your own pictures in the gallery. other ships have made this electronic and automatic. the soda pack is 8 bucks a day and a steal as it has mocktails which normally would be almost that. you can buy CHEAP water before your cruise, not the 12 bottles for 80 bucks I paid on NCL. you can bring on water and soda if you want. not on NCL.

there were virtually no kids on regal. I doubt I saw a dozen my entire time. yet there is soft ice cream for us adults to enjoy. I wish regal was out of NYC more often but I doubt ill ever get that wish.

The Love Boat on TV 24 hrs a day :D

Don't be surprised if you don't find that anymore. Our last cruise was 14 days on Caribbean Princess in March. They had a lot of unhappy people because there was no Love Boat on TV. (It didn't bother us but apparently it bothered a pretty large number of other people.) Actually, I'm not positive but I don't think they had it on TV last October when we did 28 days on Emerald Princess. Since we don't watch it I can't be certain.

Don't be surprised if you don't find that anymore. Our last cruise was 14 days on Caribbean Princess in March. They had a lot of unhappy people because there was no Love Boat on TV. (It didn't bother us but apparently it bothered a pretty large number of other people.) Actually, I'm not positive but I don't think they had it on TV last October when we did 28 days on Emerald Princess. Since we don't watch it I can't be certain.

The spouse loved the 24-hour Love Boat. She's missed it these last few cruises when they haven’t shown any episodes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They had the Love Boat episodes on all day on the Golden a couple of weeks ago. One of our favorite things about Princess is sadly being phased out - Skywalkers. Nothing beats sitting there reading and just watching the waves and scenery roll by on a lazy sea day.

Other favorites - Goat Cheese Soufflé, the Volcano, the Fettuccini Alfredo (though it's not the same without the Parmesan Basket), Crooners bar, the longer west coast itineraries up & down the coast and to Hawaii.